Guest bowbrummer
Exactly what my hubby says, our NI contributions funded the health system so it wasn't really free. We'd paid NI contributions for 22 years prior to leaving, wonder how much that amounted to?

So damned true!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:unsure:I don't think I've actually posted in this thread... so here goes nothing!!

The first time I laid eyes upon Wanted Down Under, it converted me. I saw the houses and the places and thought "that's too nice to turn down!" I know my parents had been thinking about going back, I was resistant! My brother even wanted to go. Now we can go, my brother doesn't want to and my parents and I all still do! Haha.

HOWEVER. That series I saw first may have changed my mind, but the 2 that I've seen since have been unconvincing and I realised after visiting Australia, talking to other family who are still out there, that show is just a load of total codswallop and I'm sorry to anyone who may have been on it who posts on here... but really?!

How are you supposed to make up your mind about a whole new life in the space of a week with a film crew on your tails, watching a DVD that tortures one to tears over what you might leave behind which you already remembered... I felt it was all so put on.

Also, that show could have been done in 15 minutes. Everything gets repetitive on it and the only thing I ever really got from it - which I gathered from being on here a week, was that cost of living depends on where you go!!

Rant over. As I said, no offense to you people, but I think the show's poorly made and they need to cut the crap if the next series will be any good.

You have chosen the level of lifestyle you want, no problem.

To me there is more to life than eating takeaways and you seem to be content in shopping at what would seem to be our £1 shops in Uk. Good for you. Again no problem at all.

Possibly Manchester was not the best place to live in UK to get the best out of life. Brisbane is certainly a better place and I have friends in a number of places in and around the area I visited when last down and will later this year.

I certainly would not go looking for 'bargains' in clothing nor would I wear 'designer' clothes.

I love Australia and have been visiting for years to see police friends I worked with under the UN. I wish all that are now on the band wagon decrying me a very happy time in Oz. You make your bed and you lie in it.

But at the end of the day the costings across the whole spectrum of outlay will be more expensive in Oz than Uk.

The only thing cheap in Oz is the sun and that gives you skin cancer !!!!!!!!!

To Luke M

Agree totally, some of my Oz friends have watched the series in Oz and all say its is more like a 'Soap' than reality.

It gives totally the wrong impression of Oz. The returns to UK from people who did go to Oz from the programme is now according to surveys standing at about 53%. They all found out it was not the land of Milk & Honey. Especially with the downturn in the economy.

One example, a UK policeman went to Adelaide and if he had opted to emigrate he would have been on £12,000 per annum less than what he gets in UK. S.A. were trawling for UK police but have since stopped as indeed a lot of the states have across the board in a whole range of job spec's.

To Luke M

Agree totally, some of my Oz friends have watched the series in Oz and all say its is more like a 'Soap' than reality.

It gives totally the wrong impression of Oz. The returns to UK from people who did go to Oz from the programme is now according to surveys standing at about 53%. They all found out it was not the land of Milk & Honey. Especially with the downturn in the economy.

One example, a UK policeman went to Adelaide and if he had opted to emigrate he would have been on £12,000 per annum less than what he gets in UK. S.A. were trawling for UK police but have since stopped as indeed a lot of the states have across the board in a whole range of job spec's.

I know what you mean. Australia looks lovely whatever photos you see it in as far as I'm concerned, there's not many people you couldn't entice with that show as far as I can see but really, at the end of the day... some things just don't work (like trying to join the police in Australia no matter how much experience you have and expecting to get paid more, evidently)

Hmmmmm I definitely won't be watching the next series I don't think. I did enjoy the few Wanted Down Under NEW ZEALAND episodes, some lovely looking houses - maybe one day!! Haha

To Luke M

PIO is still 100% - our members who appreared on the show are still very much in Aus and enjoying it.

We did appear on this show, infact we made the pilots episode in 2006 and unlike the other family's had almost 3 weeks filming out here, mainly because we had no format to work to, it was all trial and error.

We knew we were moving here regardless(dependent on visa grant of course) although the show makes it look like they are helping us decide.

I have only ever watched a couple of episodes from the entire lot as we had already left the UK when it was aired and i am the first to admit it is edited soooo much for what the producers THINK people want to see. But heh is that not TV all round?

I do believe a series 5 and 6 is being made so lets hope the producers took on board previous viewers comments and show more helpful stuff than big houses and nice beaches! I also think it would be nice (and helpful) to see family's who have had to jump through hoops once they arrive, just to get licences to work etc! I feel stuff like that would be useful to viewers debating the move as so many people move completely unaware of whats in store once they arrive.

Cal x

• 5 months later...

Hi

The heading says it all really, Wanted Down Under back on today for the month of January everyday, on BBC 1 at 10am.

Be interesting to see what they say......how easy it is to get in....NOT...:mad:

If your at work tape it.....sky plus it......Then give feedback on here be interesting what u all think.

Lindsey :biggrin:

Guest bindog1uk

HI ALL, HAVE JUST NOTICED THAT THE NEW SERIES OF WANTED DOWN UNDER STARTS TODAY BBC1 AT 10AM, WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF THEY MAKE IT SOUND EASY TO MIGRATE, STARTS OF IN BRISBANE, WILL HAVE TO WATCH. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL, POSATIVE THINKING IS IN ORDER FOR THIS YEAR I THINK. GOOD LUCK TO US ALL. LESLEY:biggrin:

4 Jan 2010 10:00–11:00

BBC One

Hannah

1/20. The Hannah family from Glasgow test out life in Brisbane for a week.

5 Jan 2010 10:00–11:00

BBC One

Roberts

2/20. The Roberts from Wigan test out life in Darwin for a week.

6 Jan 2010 10:00–11:00

BBC One

Foster

3/20. The Fosters from Derby test out life in Perth, Western Australia for a week.

7 Jan 2010 10:00–11:00

BBC One

Guile

4/20. The Guiles from Berkshire test out life in Auckland for a week.

8 Jan 2010 10:00–11:00

BBC One

Mills

5/20. The Mills family from Eastbourne test out life in Australia for a week.

11 Jan 2010 10:00–11:00

BBC One

Saunders

6/20. The Saunders family from South London experience life in Brisbane for a week.

OMG!

That had me weeping like a baby!!!

When they showed the videos from home I was like a leaking tap. Whats going on with me?

Maybe its just all hitting home. I don't see much of my family anyway and always thought that I would probably spend more hours in total with them when I make the move down under.(and probably will) But I will still have to leave them at the other side of the world!!

Good episode though. Much more difficult a decision for those of you will teenage kids. Mine are still young and don't really understand the implications of what we are doing. I suppose they just accept it, but with teenagers its a different kettle of fish.

Melanie x

Guest bindog1uk

Really enjoyed the program, nice to see the property's at a more recent price. I think that it must be very difficult for people with teenagers moving, two sides to every story, but is'nt life about taking that risk, how do you know about things in life unless you try it and after all you only get one shot at it! Now all we need is the opportunity to get that shot, so com'on DIAC, do your bit. Look forward to tommorows program. Lesley.

They never do Canberra, bloody annoying! I suppose it is because there isn't a beach here. i spoke to someone who has just moved up to Brissy and said there was loads of POMs up there. I find it still very rare to bump into another POM.

Its because Canberra is a good kept secret, we lived in Canberra and it was fab! no beach but good weather, friendly people, clean small city and near to the snow in the winter :)

All in all a good episode, Did notice that they have changed the format from previous series ,which i think is a lot better. My kids are home with me today so they also watched it, now they don't seem so worried about making friends. So a thumbs up so far!

Guest sal 222

HI.....Just watched WDU - Hannah family - what a lovely family ....I was in bits though as it bought it all back (Our episode is Friday!(MILLS Family)........I hope the boys come round and see what a wonderful life it could be for them......it is so hard to leave friends and family but no one ever know what's round the corner and who's to say that anything is for ever - it's worth just giving these things a try...life is about experiences both good and bad.....not regrets ...Good luck to the Hannah family what ever you decide.....Sal

HI.....Just watched WDU - Hannah family - what a lovely family ....I was in bits though as it bought it all back (Our episode is Friday!(MILLS Family)........I hope the boys come round and see what a wonderful life it could be for them......it is so hard to leave friends and family but no one ever know what's round the corner and who's to say that anything is for ever - it's worth just giving these things a try...life is about experiences both good and bad.....not regrets ...Good luck to the Hannah family what ever you decide.....Sal

Not seen today's episode yet..... am waiting to gain custody of the remote control from my 2 year old lol!! I shall look forward to see your episode on Friday... it is good to hear from PIO members who have been on the show. I believe Gary and Helens' (The Ward's) episode is on Jan 28th. I wonder if any other PIO members are in this series?

OMG!

That had me weeping like a baby!!!

When they showed the videos from home I was like a leaking tap. Whats going on with me?

Maybe its just all hitting home. I don't see much of my family anyway and always thought that I would probably spend more hours in total with them when I make the move down under.(and probably will) But I will still have to leave them at the other side of the world!!

Good episode though. Much more difficult a decision for those of you will teenage kids. Mine are still young and don't really understand the implications of what we are doing. I suppose they just accept it, but with teenagers its a different kettle of fish.

Melanie x

Hi Melanie

They get me everytime "little miss yous from the family" we must be big softies or like u say...will be us one day xxx

Archived