Also, if you have Virgin Media, you can check up on 'catch up tv' and watch it again for free...only covers the last 7 days though. This is how we watch it, at least then it's at a time that suits us, and not when we are at b****y work or taking the kids to school...who at the Beeb thought that was a good idea??

sluggy

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi everyone.....

l had the rare occasion not to be at work and saw one of these programs ... must have been about 7th of January before the school run kicked in for the new term and we watched with great interest as these people were moving to perth etc etc... had a few raised eyebrow situations as we have been around perth looking ourselves at houses etc.....until it got to the end of the program.... house prices didnt seem to tally.... that is because the one we were watching was actually made in 2003 .... hmmm..... time has moved on ... dont know about recent programs but watch the credits at the end and it should tell you the year......:skeptical:

I've seen most of the series this year, I didn't even know about it last year - in fact we weren't even thinking about it enough to watch the show.

I did think some of it sounded a tad far-fetched.

However the series has really got me interested in the whole moving out to Australia thing, which before was really 3 against one... my mum, dad and younger brother were mad about the whole idea and I was like "Why would you want to?" and well now I get it.

And the newspapers here are so depressing to read these days.

So I've been having a little listen in on various Australian national radio stations. It's quite a shocking difference really I think.

I have an uncle and auntie who live out on the Gold Coast (Surfer's Paradise) and from what I can tell it looks lovely, but generally I think our interest lies more in Perth (or WA generally) although I was quite taken by Melbourne...

I reckon AU has its obvious drawbacks like leaving family and friends behind, but I name the other big thing as the climate (for me personally) that's probably why Melbourne particularly appeals to me.

Wow I'm rambling on a bit. But I will definitely make sure I show this thread to my parents later!!!

Guest Helaine

Well i have managed to watch most of this series this time, and i can say its been a real eye opener for us, yes you do get the good ones where everything turns out great for them, but like everything in life you get the ones that dont work out,but that just how it is, however every programme we have seen has given us more and more knowledge on what to expect...my hubbie said i was looking at going to OZ through rose tinted glasses and maybe i was but not any more....after watching these programmes and especially Donovan aka "the jones" we learnt alot more about everything.

We are all working so bloody hard to get our families out to what we want to call a better life then surley thats up to us !!! good or bad we are going to take it, embrace all the it has to offer and have more BBQ's & Beers than ever, I CANT WAIT xxxxx

Hi

A big thanks to Tahe49 for the info on Watched Down Under, found it on BBC and also on TV on Demand can watch back last 6 days, already watched 3 tonite and about to watch another whilst doing some ironing.

Thanks again, am more convinced that this is the right for us to do.

Debbie & Stuart:smile:

I have been recording all the WDU and am up to date with them all, didn't watch last years as we only considered moving to Oz when our daughter was born in Nov 2006.:wubclub:

I agree with a lot of what people are saying here, just thought I would say I thought the revisited from today with the bloke who was a butcher was great!:yes:

He seemed to have the right attitude as did the wife, that they wanted a better life for the kids and he was prepared to make sacrifices to do so. They mentioned about prices going up and that they couldn't be too choosy if they eventually wanted to buy. He was on $20k a year after overtime and they seemed to be really happy, I reckon they were lucky with the boss who seemed like a great family man too (the Italian butcher), and I just thought they were inspiring in the same way the single mum of 2 boys (the one who studied to be a nurse in order to go to Oz) was. :notworthy:

I even had a tear when he said they had wanted a better life for the kids and the fact that they were happier too was a bonus! That's what we think. So good luck to them! We aren't basing everything on WDU, it would be silly to, you have to do other research to see if it's right for you and your family and this site has loads of great advice and info so we are glad we found it.

I lived in Bedfordshire btw for 20+ years so knew exactly why they wanted to get out of Luton! They should've had more families like todays that didn't live in fairly decent areas in the UK - we live in Dudley so quite comparable to Luton!!! (Unfortunately!!)What did others think to todays family?

Like everyone else i am addicted to this progamme but it annoys the hell out of me! for the same reasons as everyone else has mentioned. It doesn't seem to make much sense, they say one thing then contradict themselves in the next breath. They say"So and so have £180'000 to spend" so we will show them this house which they can't afford or could but wouldn't be able to EAT!! it all seems to be about the house! and for me it's not about that, yes it's nice to have a nice place to live but lets face it we are not all leaving all our family and friends just to live in a big house. I have enjoyed the re-visited ones better especially the ones that are still there and are making a go of it, it gives you hope!!

Ali

Guest MalMonroe

Hello, everyone, I have just joined this forum.

I lived in Oz for two years quite a while ago. We were in Brisbane but it was really quiet. In fact, to be honest, it was dead. Now I've started watching the BBC 1 programmes and they really do make me want to go back to Oz. Especially Adelaide, where I've never been. I've started regretting, for the first time ever, leaving Oz when I did.

However, this programme obviously needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. If people really want to go and live in Oz, they will do, and no amount of information will persuade or dissuade them. Obviously property prices are going to be different because they vary day by day. What I found in Oz was that those who are prepared to work hard will be rewarded, far more than they are in the UK. And you still get more for your money where property is concerned. I'm going back for a holiday later this year and I'm really looking forward to it - especially visiting WA. To those of you about to depart, I'm soooo jealous!!!

hi everyone.....

l had the rare occasion not to be at work and saw one of these programs ... must have been about 7th of January before the school run kicked in for the new term and we watched with great interest as these people were moving to perth etc etc... had a few raised eyebrow situations as we have been around perth looking ourselves at houses etc.....until it got to the end of the program.... house prices didnt seem to tally.... that is because the one we were watching was actually made in 2003 .... hmmm..... time has moved on ... dont know about recent programs but watch the credits at the end and it should tell you the year......:skeptical:

The first WDU was filmed in 2006 we saw it being filmed and followed all of the first series last year with interest its been great watching what the families are doing now.

Hi All

Did anyone see todays WDU, the hairdressing couple moving to Sydney.

We can relate to this couple ourselves in that my eldest daughter, 21, to my first marriage does not want to come with us (Debbie's daughter). We also have 12 yr old triplets (2nd marriage).

I shed a tear or two when they were watching her on film whilst out there for a week.

Heart renching, I know we soon will be in that boat.

Anyone else left there children behind, if so, can you let me know how you overcome something like this.

Look forward to your replies.

Debbie & Stuart

:cry::sad::cry::sad:

• 9 months later...
Guest nigel and lisa evans

Hi Deb

My husband and I hoping to migrate to Oz next November, I also have a 21 year old daughter I'm leaving behind. Heart renching or what does pull on the heart strings, but like everyone assures me she'll be fine and if not she'll follow us out.

Lisa

• 2 months later...
Guest sexkit001

hi looking at the listing they are not going to Perth but Place in the sun down Under (Fridays at 8pm) will be in Perth this Friday... Have pasted the listings below of the IPlayer site for info... K xx

13 Jan 2009 09:15–10:00

BBC One

Series 3

McDermott

7/20. The McDermotts must decide whether or not to open their dream cafe in Adelaide.

14 Jan 2009 09:15–10:00

BBC One

Series 3

Cummings

8/20. The Cummings family must decide whether or not to trade Scotland for New Zealand.

15 Jan 2009 09:15–10:00

BBC One

Series 3

Huddlestone

9/20. The Huddlestones dream of moving to Australia, but will the reality change their minds? (Sydney)

16 Jan 2009 09:15–10:00

BBC One

Series 3

Lloyd

10/20. The Lloyd family is split on whether to make a new life in New Zealand.

Jan 2009 09:15–10:00 BBC One

Series 3

Clark

11/20. The Clark family must decide whether or not to move overseas to Adelaide.

It doesnt go any further than this...

Guest allthegoodnamesaretaken

Did u see todays? OMG what a joke, they had a budget of £200,000 INCLUDING a mortgage which is fair enough, but the show was taking them around houses priced at £280,000, Is it just me, am i missing something? lol :chatterbox:

very much in Aussie mode,cant wait any longer,just been sorting out our wedding today too,so head very much in the shed,yes saw todays show, showed them a house way over their budget,they should get Jim Bowen as presenter "look what you could have if you were rich.take it away"

Hi All;

I wonder if at least part of the problem is that it did used to be much cheaper to live in most of Australia. When we went to Brisbane in 1989 the house prices were about half what they were here. But times have changed and now if anything Brisbane prices are more than UK ones. Even though we know Australia is about the same cost of living as the UK now there is a sort of left over from the past that it is cheaper, that it used to be cheaper so it still OUGHT to be, or could be if we just look hard enough. It's hard to give up the idea of getting more for your money! So perhaps programs like Wanted Down Under are trying to show the sorts of properties people could have afforded on their budgets a few years ago, rather than what they can actually afford now. I guess it doesn't look so appealing if the houses all look small. old or need a lot of work. A decent house tends to be part of the Aussie dream. The programmers need to get real basically.

Deb

Guest juliemtaylor
Did u see todays? OMG what a joke, they had a budget of £200,000 INCLUDING a mortgage which is fair enough, but the show was taking them around houses priced at £280,000, Is it just me, am i missing something? lol :chatterbox:

Yes and the $330k if you want to see what you can aspire to!!!

Not getting real are they!

Julie x

Guest YellowGecko

Hmmm...yes, we thought it was time wasting and very unrealistic.

AND Yes, it is difficult enough to get a loan at the moment, let alone trying to extend the financed amount beyond beyond!

Word also has it that the recession (when it hits Australia at its fullest), will make matters even worse for people trying to finace a home.

Guest allthegoodnamesaretaken
it really is worse than the last series...... try a place in the sun down under fri 8pm channel 4 , excellent !!! puts the bbc to shame xx

Yeah i saw it last week it was pretty good but i think they are only doing three, this being the third, and why, might i ask, did Wanted Down Under get rid of Nadia Swahalia? Anybody know? x

Archived