Guest jacelynne

Hi all,

was delighted to see wdu back on our screens. me and hubby applied last year but didn't get a call back..... but never mind as we are flying to perth for good on May 16th!!! am literally counting down the days!!

was also teary when the family said their hellos and goodbyes.... we've go it all to come to!:swoon:

I was impressed with the new layout of the show...... showing that is not just a case of selling your house and going! We had been doing our visa app for almost 3 years!

The show really painted oz in a friendly light.... lots to see and do and people being very welcoming.

I was totallly startled by the cost of living tho....$892 per month for air con alone!!!! I think i'll be buying a good deodrant!!!!!! :biggrin:

We think lifes what you make it.... so we are going to give it our best shot!!!

xxx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMG!

That had me weeping like a baby!!!

When they showed the videos from home I was like a leaking tap. Whats going on with me?

Maybe its just all hitting home. I don't see much of my family anyway and always thought that I would probably spend more hours in total with them when I make the move down under.(and probably will) But I will still have to leave them at the other side of the world!!

Good episode though. Much more difficult a decision for those of you will teenage kids. Mine are still young and don't really understand the implications of what we are doing. I suppose they just accept it, but with teenagers its a different kettle of fish.

Melanie x

Totally agree, I was welling up when the old grandad was crying.

As far as the kids, I said the same thing to my wife that glad we're doing it now. Our kids Ross (7) and Ruaridh (5) are just young enough to look on the whole thing as an adventure but that would be different in a few more years.

Hi all,

Just got in from college and watched WDU, loved it the family were lovely. Don't panic re the air con, the costing was all wrong, that was the extra amount for the year!!! Not each month, works out about £50.00 extra in the summer months or if you use it as heating when its really cold.

Tina family of five

Yes I watched it today adn it renewed our interest totally. Did you all catch A Place in the Sun Down Under on ch5 at 12.15 too. Its on tomoz and wednesday as well. They are repeats from last years series but very good and informative about areas and housing. It was Melbourne today, Adelaide tomoz and Mandurah, Perth on Wed.

Jo xxx

I don't bloody believe it!!!

I read about it, I saw it advertised and I still forgot to record it!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!:arghh:

The one I wanted to watch too...

Does anyone know if they are repeating them??? I can't get the BBC i player thingy as I am in France!!!

I am gutted! Boo hoo!!!

Tasha:wub:

Well folks the new series started this morning with a Glasgow couple and their 2 sons.

Mum a midwife and dad a gardener/shipbuilder. Mum offered job at Brisbane hospital and dad Brisbane botanical gardens for gardening and a ship builder on an industrial estate.

Ended with Mum, dad and one son wanting to go but other son adamant no.

Will have to wait for the follow up series to see who did actually make the trip to live.

The programme was the 1st of 20.

Filmed in June/July 2009 in UK.

Guest Penny Marshall

Hi

I've applied for the series 5 wanted down under just waiting for a reply - had our interview! So glad its back on TV although i have to wait until the end of the day to watch it. It makes me want to go 2 oz x

$892 per month for airconditioning, I have never heard of that before! What?

Would love to know who ran up a bill like that, I never have, okay I live in Melbourne and we don't run the aircon as much as say Qld or WA, but even family members who are up there have never had a bill like thatl.

I don't bloody believe it!!!

I read about it, I saw it advertised and I still forgot to record it!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!:arghh:

The one I wanted to watch too...

Does anyone know if they are repeating them??? I can't get the BBC i player thingy as I am in France!!!

I am gutted! Boo hoo!!!

Tasha:wub:

hi wot a shame you missed it, they will repeat it sometime but dont no wen. you should still be able to get bbc i player im sure my cousin in holland gets it. remember it on tomorrow and for next 3 or 4 weeks . you should tape it. we borrowed a vcr to tape as we dont have sky plus anymore as we living in rental temp the now gutted as so easy with sky plus. good luck and youll make sure you dont miss any more !!

Hi Tasha

try the iportal

iPortal

Sam :wubclub:

Hi Sam, bonsoir mon amie...:biggrin:

I did have the iportal set up on my computer and was able to watch the catch up UK tv, but recently it stopped working. I emailed them and they never responded! Also, my Auntie has it and she said they emailed her to say they were starting to charge! Is that right???

How cold is it there tonight??? Its -4 here, snow is due on wednesday too!!!

Tasha x

Guest garynhelen

Just watched WDU on iplayer. It was good but they had a similar experience to us on the 'reality check.' The accounting part where they work out the costings is not strictly accurate. They ask a researcher to provide like for like costings for example dog food and pasta. We went to Coles which is like Tescos to check the prices and the researcher had picked gold plated pasta and the dog food was wild dodo or something. We went to Perth after (where we really want to go) and visited family. They gave a blow by blow yearly account and it was entirely affordable and made us more determined to be in Oz.

House prices were worked out at quick sale or investors price. This slashed 15-20% off the real market value. Oh hum that was 7 months ago and prices are slowly recovering. It was funny to see them pull up in the car. In reality they take that shot about 5 times! The director Will Ridgeon is a legend tho.. great guy!

Funny but I thought that I preferred the worst of the three homes in Cairns. It had far more character, native trees in the garden and they could have bought that one for cash I think. Their eyes lit up as they thought how much more they could borrow if she gets a job too and then buy the dream home. I hate being in debt mind. I've never been to Cairns and it did look nice but I'll still live in Sydney.

Carins is really a big country town type of place, it is the airport gateway to far north Queensland, most of the Brits are up Brisbane, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast, which are actually far nicer than Cairns to live. Only my opinion though.

We did appear on this show, infact we made the pilots episode in 2006 and unlike the other family's had almost 3 weeks filming out here, mainly because we had no format to work to, it was all trial and error.

We knew we were moving here regardless(dependent on visa grant of course) although the show makes it look like they are helping us decide.

I have only ever watched a couple of episodes from the entire lot as we had already left the UK when it was aired and i am the first to admit it is edited soooo much for what the producers THINK people want to see. But heh is that not TV all round?

I do believe a series 5 and 6 is being made so lets hope the producers took on board previous viewers comments and show more helpful stuff than big houses and nice beaches! I also think it would be nice (and helpful) to see family's who have had to jump through hoops once they arrive, just to get licences to work etc! I feel stuff like that would be useful to viewers debating the move as so many people move completely unaware of whats in store once they arrive.

Cal x

Ahh yes, I still have the VHS tape in my secret draw along with a special calendar and various items from your washing line...:err:

Well folks the new series started this morning with a Glasgow couple and their 2 sons.

Mum a midwife and dad a gardener/shipbuilder. Mum offered job at Brisbane hospital and dad Brisbane botanical gardens for gardening and a ship builder on an industrial estate.

Ended with Mum, dad and one son wanting to go but other son adamant no.

Will have to wait for the follow up series to see who did actually make the trip to live.

The programme was the 1st of 20.

Filmed in June/July 2009 in UK.

Thanks a lot dont need to watch it now lol

Hi Sam, bonsoir mon amie...:biggrin:

I did have the iportal set up on my computer and was able to watch the catch up UK tv, but recently it stopped working. I emailed them and they never responded! Also, my Auntie has it and she said they emailed her to say they were starting to charge! Is that right???

How cold is it there tonight??? Its -4 here, snow is due on wednesday too!!!

Tasha x

Bonsoir :rolleyes:

It is freezing here & I am on the last of my cut wood, will have to chop some more tomorrow

More snow on the way for here too

Just checked mine out & it has stopped working too ! it took me to instructions to pay now for iplayer, it's not too expensive though

Sam

x

the woman looked like an old ex of mine but she was from enfield. Her name was also sharon...

mods feel free to move that to "i know no one cares......."

Hi Guya

Seeing as im stuck here and cant ''nip'' back to watch,lol, can someone explain what you all mean by theyve changed the format ?

What have they changed?

Also if your easily upset it may be best not to watch the friends and family bit on our show,, its 2 years since i have seen my relly and hearing what she said on there put me on a MASSIVE guilt trip and reduced this tough cookie to tears,,lol,, she loves us really just misses us ,, it is hard though, you never quite get over missing people.

Cal x

It seemed to me they have added an affordability bit to see if you can afford to move based on actual UK bills here and actual income and an estimate of what bills will be in Oz based on salaries quoted. Was very enjoyable and family lovely, hope they cangive it their best shot.

The dad was upset by his boys comments to him, felt sorry for him.

Guest guest33730
It seemed to me they have added an affordability bit to see if you can afford to move based on actual UK bills here and actual income and an estimate of what bills will be in Oz based on salaries quoted. Was very enjoyable and family lovely, hope they cangive it their best shot.

The dad was upset by his boys comments to him, felt sorry for him.

Also they didn't have the bit at the beginning where they chose which 'life' they wanted to try i.e. beach, city or other etc

Daniel

Also they didn't have the bit at the beginning where they chose which 'life' they wanted to try i.e. beach, city or other etc

Daniel

Yes,:wink: sorry they chose for the family, forgot that bit, didn't have them sat in Oz/NZ house seeing all the choices and family deciding where to go.

Archived