• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sal 222

thanks Geoffrey!.........you know i love this site......you are all such lovely friendly people...feeling all warm and loveley ( may be a bit to do with the glass of wine!)...but seriously it's great!.........so excited having a fab day....found out today that one of our neighbours brother's may want to buy our house!!.........some times you just know your on the right path in life............best to you all x

We made the pilot of series one which was shown half way through series 1 and have just filmed a revisited which i think they are showing at the end of this current series, my friend on the Gold Coast also filmed a revisted too, she did a revisited year before last so this is her 3 rd time,lol.

Cal x

Loved your show Sal and so pleased that your husband has been fortunate to find a job. I wish you every success and lots of happiness.

Cal I had a message from Sarah through facebook her show is being shown in UK 15th Feb so your's would be around that week I expect if the revisits are tagged on she called the BBC. to find out so she could let her UK family & friends know.

My Brother and family are now beginning their 2nd year on Gold Coast and are moving to Arundel from Labrador end of the month they all love it although still miss family & friends, they are finding this Summer quite hard as they are working last year they had just emmigrated so more in holiday mode, the children have all made good friends & all enjoy school.

Sandy

thanks Geoffrey!.........you know i love this site......you are all such lovely friendly people...feeling all warm and loveley ( may be a bit to do with the glass of wine!)...but seriously it's great!.........so excited having a fab day....found out today that one of our neighbours brother's may want to buy our house!!.........some times you just know your on the right path in life............best to you all x

Hello Sal. I am in the middle of watching your programme (on iplayer) and already I know that Australia is for you and your family. It is just meant to be. Enjoy. Catherine

Hi Sally,

Further to the e-mail I sent you, have now watched your show. It looks like they (and you) went through the mill somewhat, a really positive end to the show and having read the last couple of posts I am really pleased that everything seems to be falling into place for you. I am one of the lucky ones that your husband said about, already got a guaranteed job waiting for me in the Aus Navy. Fingers crossed for the rest of your journey. we may be travelling within a couple of weeks of each other, only to different sides of the country !!!!

Look forward to your information,

Best of luck

Chris, Jeanette, Jacob & Joseph

Yes I did see today's episode. You had better get out there quick before your daughter has any say in the matter. The mother today never really wanted to go and she was using her 7 year old as a reason not to go, but I suppose it was after all a free holiday for them!!!

Absolutely!! We are aiming for just after she's 5 years old so as to be realistic, so fingers crossed she still sees it as a big adventure, she does at the moment, always talking about it!

Loved Sals programme today, it was honestly the best so far, and I don't think anyone is just saying that cos you're on here Sal!! A lovely family and I loved that you'd made your own arrangements as to where you were going to stay and that you'd got people you'd emailed to meet up with too!

You must be so excited about September!! Congratulations on going for it and well done for adapting to the work situation, very positive people and you'll definitely do well out there. I loved the look of the area too and that house, to die for!! I liked all the ones you looked at actually, mainly cos I wouldn't really care if we could only afford the brick one you looked at cos at least it was in Oz!

Looking forward to Tina and her family now, when's it on again, can someone remind me?

Guest proud2beaussie

Guys I have merged the thread about the problems viewing the show on iplayer into this general wanted down under thread,can we please keep all comment about the show to this thread please otherwise creating a new thread every time leads to confusion and take up server space.

Yes we are on Monday,ARGH!!!! Getting very very worried as everyone loved Sally and her family today so be nice to me please, we were the first to be filmed with a new director so might be a little hit and miss.

Would also like to say big thanks to Rachael who pm me earlier re jack and his hosptial visit today, many thanks. Also while on my soap box and like Sally with one glass of wine inside me, would also like to say thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome, I have been on another forum (wont say which one)for over 2 years but found it really hard work. Noone ever seemed to post,chat or answer questions, generally help each other out which I hoped this kind of thing is for. Here it is completely different, very nice and helpful people.

So if noone ever talks to me again after Monday I did feel welcome!!

From Robin, Tina, Lauren, Jack and Grace family of five. x

Yes we are on Monday,ARGH!!!! Getting very very worried as everyone loved Sally and her family today so be nice to me please, we were the first to be filmed with a new director so might be a little hit and miss.

Would also like to say big thanks to Rachael who pm me earlier re jack and his hosptial visit today, many thanks. Also while on my soap box and like Sally with one glass of wine inside me, would also like to say thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome, I have been on another forum (wont say which one)for over 2 years but found it really hard work. Noone ever seemed to post,chat or answer questions, generally help each other out which I hoped this kind of thing is for. Here it is completely different, very nice and helpful people.

So if noone ever talks to me again after Monday I did feel welcome!!

From Robin, Tina, Lauren, Jack and Grace family of five. x

Hi Tina. Think we joined about the same time and I love this site, can't wait to see what's going on with everyone (think my husband is getting fed up with me on the computer all the time!!!). I think that I speak for everyone when I say that we cannot wait till Monday and as I said before you will all be brilliant!!!! Don't Worry!!!:smile:

Ok folks here is my last post of the day. Just watched you Sally and it was fab!!!! Can't say any more really, looks like a fab place might come and join you.

Thanks for setting the standard so high as if it was not bad enough, national TV Monday here we come!

Tina x

I'm sure your show will be fine .... I think it makes even more interesting viewing when you "know" the family so to speak...if only via a forum.... can't wait to see your show on Monday .... no WDU fix all weekend...what we gonna do lol

Guest sal 222

thanks Tina........we will certainly catch up soon...and yes you will be most welcome in Lennox.......best wishes for Monday..........Sal - AND a heart felt thanks to everyone for all your wonderful messages -

Guest Jules2

Watched your show last night Sal, thought it was great, you guys definitely have the right positive attitude to make the move... that's what you need to make it a success!

xx

Saw your show this morning Sal... glad to see you're all so positive about the prospects that could be brought by the move down under!

LOVELY house you got to stay in there!

Does it look as good in reality as it does on TV?! If someone came up to me and said "you can have any one house in the world for sale..."

If they were selling that I'd call dibs on it!!

Guest sal 222

they are selling for around 1 and half million (OZ)........and yes it is every bit as lovely as it seems on TV....if you or anyone else wants to buy it i can put you in touch with them.........cheers

Guest mattbenecci

Hi

14 is a terrible age, but how long does the process take? By the time the visa and all is done she will be 17/18 - easier to leave and able to make up her own mind - or maybe a different look on life and she wants to go. In my opinion the age to worry about is 10 to 12.

Just for the record, I would not let my 14 year old dictate to me about a trip no matter where. She would not even get on the plane for a week - which I found a bit of a shocker!

Matt

Hi all,

Would just like to add as it was late when I posted last night, how I was impressed with Sally's friends and family. Although clearly no one wants their loved ones to move to the other side of the world they were all very supportive. I think it is very difficult for the parents of those who are leaving, they are loosing not only their child but grandchildren as well, but everyone although showing their sadness gave encouragement to their family, trusting that the decision they made would be the right one for them. The friends and family know you best and so should (as in this case) be confident in your decision, so well done to Sally's family and especially her mum for you faith in you daughter and Jem. I am also pleased with this section of the programme as when we watched our friends and family, although some were as to be expected upset , they were still very supportive and encouraging us to make the change. I was beginning to wonder if we were the only family where people were actually saying we should go, in the nicest possible way!

So although leaving your loved ones behind is one of the hardest elements of making the move, from my experience if you are serious about going to Oz you should have already accepted that your will leave your family behind. For the families who are left behind at least the are reassured that the grandchildren are given the greatest possible opportunities and experiences that we as parents could give them, after all that is why we are all doing this, aren't we?

Guest sal 222

Tina, that's such a lovely thing to say.........And so true. My Mum is quite private but i know she is finding it hard....she is outgoing though so we hope she will visit us often. Thanks for the kind words they really do man so much x

Hi

I thought fridays show was the best so far, lots of research done and all organised by the family. How nice was the house you swapped with....lovely !!

Children was lovely too and very well behaved.

Nice to see there was no tears!!

Well Done, best one to watch.

Lindsey

Hello Sally's mum,

I see you have just joined us here, which has given me a thought. Wonder if there could be or already is a group for the friends and family. Would be great if you guys could have somewhere to chat with other people who are sharing your experiences, rather than reading all about ours. May also be good for some positive support re your family making the move. This group may also be able to offer practical advice, for example parents who can travel together to visit their families rather than embarking on the long journey alone, which is a big issue for my mother. Can someone get this started?

My mum found it very difficult to record her thoughts and feelings on camera and until the day was actually refusing to be filmed!! I think she was concerned that if she got too upset it would sway our decision, you will have to see what happens.

Guest stellios

Hi Sally. Again loved the show yesterday really uplifted us and also made us consider the Byron Bay area more seriously as we have previously been looking at Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast hinterland but are really open to all areas at this stage. We are travelling in a campervan next summer with our 4 children (must be nuts!) and exploring as far north as Cairns and as far south as Byron Bay checking out areas to live as we go. Are you planning to live in Byron itself? We are a little concerned as we are beginning to realise our dream of a large house (morgage free) with a reasonable amount of land is going to be a struggle in many of these areas. Our budget will now be around max 350k due to the rubbish exchange rate and drop in value of our own property.

HI

I'm speaking as a family member who know's what it is like to be seperated from loved ones.

My Brother, SIL 2 nephews & 2 nieces emmigrated December 2008 only 2 years after losing our Dad, when they told Mum, myself & sister we were distraught & just couldn't see how they could do this to us while still grieving the loss of Husband, Dad and Grandad and the nearer it got to the process of emmigration the harder it got for all of us I admit I did resent them but never showed it (I hope) for selfish reasons I was angry that they could up sticks and leave me to look out for our 72 year old Mum as my sister also lives 150 miles away we had after all promised Dad that we would all take care of Mum, But, now 8 months into their new lives on the Gold Coast in Queensland we can see what a fantastic life they have given the 4 children not to mention themselves, life hasn't been kind to them all the time during the 8 month's, they have had lot's thrown at them some too personal for me to say, they had jobs to find, unhappy children, homesickness, a nasty car accident, a house here in UK to let, now though my Brother called me only Sunday night to say the job he's been doing for 3 months casual has now been made permanent he has a contract, the eldest boy has fled the nest already and working up in Tamborine mountains the other 3 are enjoying school making firm friendships,and they have decided to sell their house here as they want to stay in Oz. My Mum has been with them for 2 months she flies home Monday another Goodbye but this time a positive one as she can now see thay are a happy family unit they are and hopefully on her return I will also feel better.

It has been on our part a very difficult time I suffer agoraphobia and anxiety attacks so unlikely I will ever get too see them as a family again as it would be far to expensive for them all to come to visit, but we speak fortnightly and skype occasionally, I do find it really really hard as I like Mum saw them every week they only lived 3 miles from us and we had watched every milestone of the children's lives and we realise we are going to miss lot's of things now but they chose to go and follow their dream, they had and still have our total support we are here for them anytime they need us.

So to sum it up as Abi say's and she is quite right as having grieved for my Dad your family must feel like us and that is the way I tell people I feel, I have lost them even though they are still 24 hours away. As my brother said he had to do it as he was 45 in Feb so time was running out age wise for him and he said it's not for life they may be back sometime who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I for one hope so and they know that but we love them very much so would never stand in their way even though apart from Dad dying it is the hardest thing I have had to face and I bet even harder for my Brother to do knowing that he was leaving a good job house and family here they left with 6 cases on a cold winter morning and he says even when the worst things have happened he still feels he made the right choice.

Good Luck in your move it will be difficult but nothing is forever as most people say follow your dreams cos sometimes they do come true.

You don't know how much it helps me to share my sadness on here but also happiness for my family who I love dearly

Sandy

As you can see this is now out of date I put this on in August but maybe will give you a start to a family support group? Now beginning their second year and moving to a larger rental end of this month my family are very much enjoying life on the Gold Coast they had originally planned Ballina but my brother was unable to find work and as they have 4 teenage children the lifestyle on the Gold Coast suits them perfectly.

Sandy

Archived