hi all me again,

Will say they really did look in to our money side of things, that is also why they have the house valued. Think in the past people have told them how much their house is worth( way more than it actually was) and they having gone to Oz and look at things they could not afford, hence part of the new format.

All I will say it is a shame they never did the reaseach when we was out there, i wont say anymore but wait till you see our finances thingy, then ask me about the air con!!!!

Tina, family of five

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heljef1
hi all me again,

Will say they really did look in to our money side of things, that is also why they have the house valued. Think in the past people have told them how much their house is worth( way more than it actually was) and they having gone to Oz and look at things they could not afford, hence part of the new format.

All I will say it is a shame they never did the reaseach when we was out there, i wont say anymore but wait till you see our finances thingy, then ask me about the air con!!!!

Tina, family of five[/QUO

Look forward to watching it.....

All the best

Helen x

Guest garynhelen
Hi all

Love the programme - not sure about the contestants though! Surely they cant make that life changing decision based on just one week down under? Always amazes me the amount of people that have never been out to OZ who say that it is their ambition to emigrate --- it just does not make sense! Its like saying that you want Turkey for dinner when you have never eaten meat.

Anybody who has been down under will know that it takes a week to get over the flight and time difference, let alone get a job, see the City, take in the sights, deal with the emotions etc etc etc. So although we love the programme and will watch again avidly, I do find myself screaming at the likes of todays couple from Wigan.... golden opportunity missed... wonderful wage prospects, weather..... back to Wigan then because they cant cope without family and pubs!!! could have sorted that one out before dearture me thinks.

My advice to any family thinking about going to Australia to live is get out there and research as much as possible - take in different areas- spend a few weeks several times and in different areas, the grass is not always greener and certainly one mans meat is another mans poison ie Love Adelaide, hate Sydney, curious about Darwin, drawn to Perth... but not to live. All this we found out through time and effort.

Happy New Year and good luck to all going down under.

Matt Benecci:twitcy:

You are quite right, Matt. It is impossible to make such a life changing decision based on ones weeks very unrealistic trip to Oz! I have to admit that when we applied to go on the show, we had, as a family already decided that we wanted to emigrate, but my teenage kids had never had the privilege of visiting, so the programme gave them a very small taster of what Oz is like. But the show is about highlighting dilemmas that some families face when contemplating this move, so we had to talk about some of the things that we would miss, then it's all down to the editing as to how we are portrayed. 7.5 full days of filming for one hour of programme,leaves a lot for the editors to pick out what they feel makes the most interesting viewing!!

So people are met at different stages of their journey. As far as we're concerned, being in Australia isn't about having to live a 'dream', but being able to get there and get by. Others may still have the romantic idea that they can live mortgage free and sit on a beach all day long!

At least the 'reality check' part of the programme (although not strictly accurate in our experience), does bring you back down to earth!

I do think that there should be more info about the visa process though, as the couple on today would easily be able to have the baby plus another, and still be waiting for a visa!!

Hi everyone.

Sorry for this rant but the new series (like the others) is so frustrating!!! Don't get me wrong, i will probably continue to watch it, even if it is just to see the properties...lol.....

Don't want to offend anyone.............. but...

I sometimes think that the families/couples who go on the show don't want it 100%...

Maybe it's just me, cos i want it more than anything and am still waiting - very patiently - for the visa grant (am in the final stages with meds and pc's done)...

And do these people not talk to their families and friends about their plans????? As soon as we decided to do this we spoke to our families and friends and although everyone was upset, everyone says how much they will miss us but doesn't blame us for wanting a better life for our children!!

Are they on the show for a free weeks holiday to Australia???????

Please note this is just my opinion!!!!!!

OK rant over.....

Good luck to all those still waiting and many congrats to those who have been lucky enough to have their visa's.....

Helen xx

I hadn't realised the show was back on until yesterday so will be watching today with the children being off from school through 2 inches of snow! I remember thinking those same feelings last year...they clearly haven't done much research prior to going. We've just been on a reccie, got back on saturday after 3 weeks in Perth, and I felt that I already knew the place having spent 2 years researching everything and anything. I can't understand the people that go on who have such big issues with moving - like they've got children from another marriage who won't move with them. A week on the other side of the world, no matter how much like paradise it is, won't fix these problems or take these issues away. Hope I haven't offended anyone. I appreciate it can be hard to face cold hard facts. Australia, for us, was perfect, but you have to take off those rose tinted glasses!

Guest Parentinwaiting

As a parent applying on a contributory Visa I was shocked to see that HELEN who started the thread mentions she's still waiting to hear when she can go to Oz even though her Police checks and Health checks were done way back in August. Please tell me it's not true!!

After waiting 16 months I final got a case worker on 17th December, the very day on the 18th I got an email saying she was on holiday until 11 Jan 2010 and I had 28 days to complete Form 80, Get Police Certs and Medicals completed. Got Medicals and Xrays done yesterday and am waiting for Police Certs to come. But this is where I'm thrown. Does what Helen says mean that even when (hopefully) these final hurdles are done I'll have to carry on waiting??? I am in shock as I thought once these last things were done I'd be able to go out immediately.

Help me please someone - is there more waiting because Helen is another 5 months on from where I am - the waiting is unbearable.

P.S. My brother and his wife applied on a Contributory Visa over 4 years ago when it was first being introduced. Once they paid they were in Oz within 6 months even with problems on their health checks. Now not only have the fees gone sky high but the wait is getting longer and longer.

Hi everyone,

i think a big problem with WDU is that they keep changing the format. Originally the people had a choice where they wanted to go and now the place is chosen for them. Also they are shown houses where the prices are too much for what you get and anyone who has trawled the hundreds of pages of realestate.com.au knows like me that there are fabulous cheap houses in good areas, but the programme never really shows this. At least the two shows this time have people who can actually afford to go, the last series had several people who were never going to be in a position to make a good go of it and would struggle straight away and it painted Australia in a bad light. I find it interesting that they show the cost of living quotes and clearly the cost of things in Australia have gone up because the pound has sunk to an all time low, but this is the same in europe and anywhere in the world, the pound has sunk like a brick everywhere, so WDU trying to make out things are dearer in OZ are doing so at a time which has never been seen before and the upshot of this, is that the wages in Australia are now far higher compared to the uk because of the devalued pound, but it is all irrelevant because the only way you can compare things is by the pay and cost of living in each country. We applied to go on WDU and we are both professional people who wanted to go to OZ and would be taking alot of money with us and when they discovered this after a number of contacted e-mails, they dropped us like a stone and couldn't even be bothered to reply to our e-mails. We are of the opinion that they want drama and uncertainty and we didn't tick all the boxes, after all if they make it look too good, then everyone will want to leave the uk and just what will happen then, can the uk sink any lower, only time will tell.

jim 175 PR visa granted 24/11/2009 yipeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Yr so right. We applied and got so far but were obviously too boring! Professionals, 2.4 children, happily married, no skeletons in the closet. Doesn't make as interesting viewing if you all want it and can make it happen for yourself.

Guest mattbenecci

Hi Gary & Helen. Guys, you hit the nail on the head. Anybody who goes over with a romantic notion of sun and beaches, roses and peaches - will be back or disappointed. You still have to work hard, often for less and the weather is not always on your side. Was anybody in Queensland - Noosa for last April? Rain everyday, then a drive down to Adelaide - rain all the way and when we arrive ----- rain. Drive to Melbourne -- sun, but we were flying home!!!

Ok, the grass can be greener and life can be richer, but it is what you put in and what facts you realise about OZ as soon as you can bin the notion.

Having said that, I will be getting there one day - my time is running out though!

Matt and Kerry:wink:

Guest shawgorbys
OMG!

That had me weeping like a baby!!!

When they showed the videos from home I was like a leaking tap. Whats going on with me?

Maybe its just all hitting home. I don't see much of my family anyway and always thought that I would probably spend more hours in total with them when I make the move down under.(and probably will) But I will still have to leave them at the other side of the world!!

Good episode though. Much more difficult a decision for those of you will teenage kids. Mine are still young and don't really understand the implications of what we are doing. I suppose they just accept it, but with teenagers its a different kettle of fish.

Melanie x

hi melanie im the same every day so at about 10.11 i go in kitchen i can still hear the telly but cant see them all getting upset coz it starts me off im terrible take care and enjoy the series its on for a whole month get the tissues out love Andrea &family xxx

:hug:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Yr so right. We applied and got so far but were obviously too boring! Professionals, 2.4 children, happily married, no skeletons in the closet. Doesn't make as interesting viewing if you all want it and can make it happen for yourself.

Hi JLT,

I don't know if you have noticed but the new WDU shows are making it look like the cost of living in Australia is dearer than the UK when i have researched this and Australia comes out on top, but not by much. They are basing the current exchange rates and equating them at 1.7 dollars to the pound which when i was there it was 2.25 dollars. They are being a bit sneaky because at these rates the wages in OZ are now far better than in the uk, but they aren't really because eventually the pound must go up. Getting back to what you have said above, they want to make the shows as dramatic as possible and they don't want people who are definately wanting to go.

jim.

hi sal. i was interested to know if any of you on the WDU program will be aloud to upload the living expences sheet your were given. i know it would really help me out before we go and im sure loads of others would find it a real interesting read.

look forward to seeing you on fridays show.

kelly.x

We are so 'lucky' in the sense that we don't have family living 7 doors down and round the corner who we see on a regular basis to miss!! I will miss my best mate and family the most, they're my daughters godparents and more like family than our 'real' family. No offence to anyone who's been on the show but they are only there for a week and some of the messages they get (in my opinion) are very negative and selfish i.e 'we would miss OUR grandchild and wouldn't be able to give them a cuddle!', but the fact that the grandchild would probably benefit from a better life doesn't seem to come into the equation. Also the family who didn't think the kitchen was quite as good as theirs?!! I guess it depends what you're used to, that was a LUXURY kitchen to us!! But then we haven't just spent £40k on an extension! And I really don't mean to offend anyone but the family where the 14year old was already living 'part time' with a family friend - what 14 year old was going to give that up to move to Oz?? A family friend is never going to be the same as parents no matter how close to the family, I lived with family friends (not my choice) when I was 17 and it was awful!

They don't give a realistic view of the visa application process either, we started with our ACS application back in 2008 and now it's 2010 and we are still in the UK and our visa application only took 7months from when it was lodged. We have 5 years to go for good as we validated our visas Sept/Oct 09, but I'm hoping it doesn't take us that long, but you can't force a house sale!!

Anyway, I love the show and only wish they could show the outcome for these people at the end instead of waiting to find out on the follow ups. Looking forward to seeing the one on Friday now!!

Good luck all, hope your dreams come true soon x

We are so 'lucky' in the sense that we don't have family living 7 doors down and round the corner who we see on a regular basis to miss!! I will miss my best mate and family the most, they're my daughters godparents and more like family than our 'real' family. No offence to anyone who's been on the show but they are only there for a week and some of the messages they get (in my opinion) are very negative and selfish i.e 'we would miss OUR grandchild and wouldn't be able to give them a cuddle!', but the fact that the grandchild would probably benefit from a better life doesn't seem to come into the equation. Also the family who didn't think the kitchen was quite as good as theirs?!! I guess it depends what you're used to, that was a LUXURY kitchen to us!! But then we haven't just spent £40k on an extension! And I really don't mean to offend anyone but the family where the 14year old was already living 'part time' with a family friend - what 14 year old was going to give that up to move to Oz?? A family friend is never going to be the same as parents no matter how close to the family, I lived with family friends (not my choice) when I was 17 and it was awful!

They don't give a realistic view of the visa application process either, we started with our ACS application back in 2008 and now it's 2010 and we are still in the UK and our visa application only took 7months from when it was lodged. We have 5 years to go for good as we validated our visas Sept/Oct 09, but I'm hoping it doesn't take us that long, but you can't force a house sale!!

Anyway, I love the show and only wish they could show the outcome for these people at the end instead of waiting to find out on the follow ups. Looking forward to seeing the one on Friday now!!

Guest IrishOzHopeful

Hi All,

Sorry for being a bit of a pain but I'd be really grateful if some1 could tell me how 2 watch tv programmes on the bbc iplayer?

Im in Ireland n it wont alow me 2 watch anything, is there a way around this or if not is there any alternative sites that I could watch Wanted Down Under?

I love that show n I work durin the day with no1 at home 2 record it 4 me!!!!! :(

Any help would b great,

Thanks

Louise

I think this is the best series so far.

They show the families the actual valuation of their house in UK, which is (usually) less than they think it's worth = realistic view of their financial situation.

They show them 3 houses around their price range, lower, medium, and more expensive, in different areas = realistic view of house sizes and prices.

They give them a breakdown and comparisons of living costs in Au and UK = a realistic insight of possible income and expenditure.

They emphasize the emotional cost of moving so far away from family and friends = an idea of how their family and friends really feel about them going, and maybe haven't said to their faces yet. And a lot of people on this site say how being away from family and friends eventually out-weighs the highs of living in Oz.

I think it seems like they've tried hard to balance a bit more of a 'reality check' into it, because last series was quite bad.

I just watch it for the houses and the beaches!! Although it was interesting to see Darwin as it was nothing how I'd imagined it to be - it looked quite 'normal'!!:biglaugh:

Hi All,

Sorry for being a bit of a pain but I'd be really grateful if some1 could tell me how 2 watch tv programmes on the bbc iplayer?

Im in Ireland n it wont alow me 2 watch anything, is there a way around this or if not is there any alternative sites that I could watch Wanted Down Under?

I love that show n I work durin the day with no1 at home 2 record it 4 me!!!!! :(

Any help would b great,

Thanks

Louise

Go via a UK based HTTP proxy server.

Edit: Apparently, it can also be viewed via the Wii - if you have one. See Watching BBC Iplayer on the Wii Abroad

Guest heljef1
As a parent applying on a contributory Visa I was shocked to see that HELEN who started the thread mentions she's still waiting to hear when she can go to Oz even though her Police checks and Health checks were done way back in August. Please tell me it's not true!!

After waiting 16 months I final got a case worker on 17th December, the very day on the 18th I got an email saying she was on holiday until 11 Jan 2010 and I had 28 days to complete Form 80, Get Police Certs and Medicals completed. Got Medicals and Xrays done yesterday and am waiting for Police Certs to come. But this is where I'm thrown. Does what Helen says mean that even when (hopefully) these final hurdles are done I'll have to carry on waiting??? I am in shock as I thought once these last things were done I'd be able to go out immediately.

Help me please someone - is there more waiting because Helen is another 5 months on from where I am - the waiting is unbearable.

P.S. My brother and his wife applied on a Contributory Visa over 4 years ago when it was first being introduced. Once they paid they were in Oz within 6 months even with problems on their health checks. Now not only have the fees gone sky high but the wait is getting longer and longer.

Hi parent waiting.

The shocking and frustrating truth is my timeline is correct and i am still waiting for my visa to be granted. i'm not sure how you stand as your on a different visa to me but i know a lot of 176's are still waiting after months of doing their meds and pc's..... prior to 23rd sep, we were told after meds were finalized we'd be approx 3/4 weeks from receiving our visa then it all changed, and me like a lot of others have joined the waiting game......

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but like i say, i don't know if this will be the same for you as it's a different visa your applying for.

My advice would be to do some more research on here (if you haven't already) or start your own thread and ask others for help - everyone is very helpful on here and phone or email your agent as soon as she is back.

Good luck with everything and i really hope you don't have to wait long.

All the best

Helen x

I wonder if they will ever mention this...... http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/47091-children-what-happens-if-you-your-partner-decide-go-home.html

For those who have never seen this 'sticky' it outlines what happens once your in AU and if one of you wanted to return home with the children. These TV programs never mention these bits hey, but its best to know before hand so you can sit and come to agreements.....

Guest Parentinwaiting
Hi parent waiting.

The shocking and frustrating truth is my timeline is correct and i am still waiting for my visa to be granted. i'm not sure how you stand as your on a different visa to me but i know a lot of 176's are still waiting after months of doing their meds and pc's..... prior to 23rd sep, we were told after meds were finalized we'd be approx 3/4 weeks from receiving our visa then it all changed, and me like a lot of others have joined the waiting game......

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but like i say, i don't know if this will be the same for you as it's a different visa your applying for.

My advice would be to do some more research on here (if you haven't already) or start your own thread and ask others for help - everyone is very helpful on here and phone or email your agent as soon as she is back.

Good luck with everything and i really hope you don't have to wait long.

All the best

Helen x

I had no idea that the wait was now so long - just shows how many people are desperate to escape from here. :-))

Guest Parentinwaiting

sorry don't know my way around this site yet and couldn't re find the "thank you" button to add to your ratings. And by the way I so agree about that TV prog, these days the format is now so very predictable and I am so over seeing them all crying all the time. I want to shout at the TV "You could go to the most wonderful country in the world - stop your snivelling, and don't listen to those who would keep you in the UK with their tears" As the words of the song go - You've one life and there's no return and no deposit!! Thanks, Elly

Guest proud2beaussie

OK,guys and gals we had four threads all basically saying similar things and on the same subject so I have merged them all into one,it makes it easier to find posts and saves space on the forum server.

Cheers

Hi Dons. I am hooked on Wanted Down Under!!!! Like you I would like to see the outcomes for the families. I especially would like to know what has happened to the Hannah's (theirs was a roller coaster ride and I can totally identify with them as I have 3 children to bring to Australia and I am a midwife as well). If anyone knows LET US KNOW!!!! I missed the beginning of the episode:biggrin: today with the 14 year old and have been trying to find out the reason why the parents are even considering leaving their daughter behind!!!

hi,

Not offended at all sorry if i came across as a moaning pom!!!

Sorry i think i am getting a little stressed as seen out write up, which is very dramatic!!! So wondering what they have made us look like. I was kinda gona keep quite about when we were on in case a load of people think we are..... what ever, so i could just run and hide.

Just wanted to point out as I never knew till i went on the programme (new format and all, which also never knew about) that with the small budget i still think ( maybe not after I see myself) it is a good programme. Who they pick to go on I sometimes wonder like everyone because some don't seem to be at all interested.

From my point of view i have wanted to go for about 6 years but had given up as my partner although could see the benefits felt it would be too hard to leave his family.So I have really looked into many aspects of life down under and wanted the BBC to show us things I may not have considered. For us it was an excellent adventure, which although sometimes stressful we found really useful.

Well lets just see what everyone thinks after they have seen me on TV!!!!

So we are on Monday 11th, but don't tell anyone else, most of my friends and people at work dont even know!!!

Tina from family of five.

Hi Family of Five. We too are a family of 5 and I will be watching the programme with bated breath to see what happens. Our visa was granted in December and I have a daughter who does not want to go to Australia (I am finding the whole process very stressful indeed). :arghh:

Guest KeetOnTour

From watching Wanted Down Under I have to say it must be a huge decision to migrate if you have a family. From a personal point of view I have recently broken up with my partner(no kids) so when I go(February 10, fingers crossed) I am going to ' wander lonely as a cloud...' so to speak. I feel under pressure enough getting everything organised for myself, I can't imagine what sort of stress you people are under. Worrying about schools, neighbourhoods ect. or whether you are pushing your family into something that is a risk just because you have a dream to live in Oz.

Ps. Anybody that tries to sell a house at the moment is bonkers. If the market hasn't picked up before you leave hand the keys to a letting agent and send the rent to the bank. Don't worry about paying the shortfall, it will only be a couple of grand per year and the bank won't repo for that. After all, you're not coming back!!

Archived