HI bryansc,

Least you have a visa, where are you going and how old is your daughter? Lauren (eldest) loved Oz so i have no worries there, but as KeetonTour says it's all the other stuff we parents have to sort out.

Think the housing markey is picking up, well here at least. Had our place re valued by the estate agents used on WDU ( not the women!!!) and both said that betwwen June till December it had gone up between £20,000-£25,000. Still waiting for it to get back where it was but looks like we might be on our way.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Dons. I am hooked on Wanted Down Under!!!! Like you I would like to see the outcomes for the families. I especially would like to know what has happened to the Hannah's (theirs was a roller coaster ride and I can totally identify with them as I have 3 children to bring to Australia and I am a midwife as well). If anyone knows LET US KNOW!!!! I missed the beginning of the episode:biggrin: today with the 14 year old and have been trying to find out the reason why the parents are even considering leaving their daughter behind!!!

Hi Bryansc

as far as I could make out it was simply because she didn't want to go and liked her life in the UK! It didn't even mention anything about the (more understandable) dilemma of whether she saw her father and that she didn't want to be taken away from him (she was daughter from a previous relationship), which has been featured as a problem for other families in the past. It looked like she had a friend the same age as herself at the family friends house and they both looked very at home each on their own laptops, no doubt researching life in Australia via Facebook??!

I wouldn't even consider that as an option for my daughter if she didn't want to go at 14, maybe 16 is different, but 14 years old is still a child. Unfortunately (and the main reason for us wanting to emigrate) most kids seem to be teenagers by the age of 11 or earlier these days in the UK, and I hate to say it but it's the parents that seem to be allowing them to grow up too quickly and also a lot of peer pressure too or they won't 'fit in'. Let them be kids for as long as possible I say. Mind you, saying that my daughter is only 3 at the moment, so lets hope we get there asap so she can (hopefully) have at least as close to the kind of childhood that we experienced as kids!!

HI bryansc,

Least you have a visa, where are you going and how old is your daughter? Lauren (eldest) loved Oz so i have no worries there, but as KeetonTour says it's all the other stuff we parents have to sort out.

Think the housing markey is picking up, well here at least. Had our place re valued by the estate agents used on WDU ( not the women!!!) and both said that betwwen June till December it had gone up between £20,000-£25,000. Still waiting for it to get back where it was but looks like we might be on our way.

Hi there. My daughter Sarah is 15 and as I have said previously, she just walks out of the room rather than discuss Australia. We are thinking about going in June time for 2 weeks to see if our children like it (at least it is an option). That's good that the housing market is picking up. There are houses for sale in my area for the past 2-3 years and still aren't sold, so I don't think the market is doing much here at the minute (I live in Northern Ireland). But that's great that you could soon be on your way!!! We are hoping to go to Melbourne.

Hi Bryansc

as far as I could make out it was simply because she didn't want to go and liked her life in the UK! It didn't even mention anything about the (more understandable) dilemma of whether she saw her father and that she didn't want to be taken away from him (she was daughter from a previous relationship), which has been featured as a problem for other families in the past. It looked like she had a friend the same age as herself at the family friends house and they both looked very at home each on their own laptops, no doubt researching life in Australia via Facebook??!

I wouldn't even consider that as an option for my daughter if she didn't want to go at 14, maybe 16 is different, but 14 years old is still a child. Unfortunately (and the main reason for us wanting to emigrate) most kids seem to be teenagers by the age of 11 or earlier these days in the UK, and I hate to say it but it's the parents that seem to be allowing them to grow up too quickly and also a lot of peer pressure too or they won't 'fit in'. Let them be kids for as long as possible I say. Mind you, saying that my daughter is only 3 at the moment, so lets hope we get there asap so she can (hopefully) have at least as close to the kind of childhood that we experienced as kids!!

I totally agree with you!! I can understand her being given the option of staying with her father - not her friend!!! Thank goodness my daughter didn't watch it (she might think that is an option for her which it certainly isn't). You are going at exactly the right time (while your daughter is still young and has no say in the matter!!!!) believe me it is very very stressful when your child does not want to move to Australia and it is something you have wanted to do for 20 years.

I totally agree with you!! I can understand her being given the option of staying with her father - not her friend!!! Thank goodness my daughter didn't watch it (she might think that is an option for her which it certainly isn't). You are going at exactly the right time (while your daughter is still young and has no say in the matter!!!!) believe me it is very very stressful when your child does not want to move to Australia and it is something you have wanted to do for 20 years.

must be very hard for you, as you say good thing she didn't see that episode! Did you see todays? The 7 year old was stubbornly against it at only 7!! Fingers crossed we can get there before she's 7/8, but nevertheless she wouldn't have a say and they adjust so much quicker once they have made friends. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you especially as your daughter would thank you for it in years to come I'm sure.

The couple on todays show were letting a 7 year old make the decision for them!!!!:shocked:

I have a 7 year old son and when we first talked about this he didn't want to go either. He has since changed his mind (as 7 year olds do!)

Having said that i think the couple from todays show were looking in the wrong place, for the lifestyle change that they were after.

I think in the end the trip showed them that they could change their lives without travelling to the other side of the globe to do it!!

Melanie x

The couple on todays show were letting a 7 year old make the decision for them!!!!:shocked:

I have a 7 year old son and when we first talked about this he didn't want to go either. He has since changed his mind (as 7 year olds do!)

Having said that i think the couple from todays show were looking in the wrong place, for the lifestyle change that they were after.

I think in the end the trip showed them that they could change their lives without travelling to the other side of the globe to do it!!

Melanie x

hear hear!

Guest jacelynne

i totally agree, the parents and not the kids should be deciding on the future!! I'm sure i was not allowed a say when my parents decided to move house! Even at 14, they are still children and not old enough to know whats best!! How many friends do you have now that you had when you were 11/12/13/14??????

I love the show (great to see the houses and beaches etc) but get so frustrated at people who obviously can't stand the thought of leaving their family... they're not moving the next town!!

I mean half of the people on the shows so far have been crying BEFORE they even leave for aus?!??!? Is that not a sure sign that it's not going to work out?

We are leaving in may, and yes its sad and hard to leave all your loved ones, but you only get one shot at life and no one else friend or family, can give you what a lifestyle in australia can!

Thats it rant over!!! Roll on May16th... Perth here we come.

xx

i totally agree, the parents and not the kids should be deciding on the future!! I'm sure i was not allowed a say when my parents decided to move house! Even at 14, they are still children and not old enough to know whats best!! How many friends do you have now that you had when you were 11/12/13/14??????

I love the show (great to see the houses and beaches etc) but get so frustrated at people who obviously can't stand the thought of leaving their family... they're not moving the next town!!

I mean half of the people on the shows so far have been crying BEFORE they even leave for aus?!??!? Is that not a sure sign that it's not going to work out?

We are leaving in may, and yes its sad and hard to leave all your loved ones, but you only get one shot at life and no one else friend or family, can give you what a lifestyle in australia can!

Thats it rant over!!! Roll on May16th... Perth here we come.

xx

Good luck on your move! You must be soooo excited!

I totally agree with you. One of the first questions I asked myself when we decided to do this, was could I leave my family and friends behind?

I think if I lived just down the road from my nearest and dearest I might think differently, but my Mum and Dad think they are Gypsies (currently in India), my sister is 3.5 hours away as is my best friend!

It still makes me emotional the thought of saying goodbye to these people, but we will probably see more of them in terms of hours when they come to see us. My mum and dad are planning to get a campervan in Australia and spend as much of the year there as possible.

Melanie x

Although im addicted this programme does my head in.

The families have a budget for housing but they seem to get shown houses over budget all the time.

Why not show houses on (or under ) budget in varying suburbs. Yes you can afford a shed in glenelg but you could afford a palace in salisbury.

i dont see the point in the part at the beginning where nicky does the country, city beach lifestyle anymore as the people dont get to choose. Im enjoying more the lifestyle section like when the boys tried surfing and when the pregnant couple met up with other families.

i really wish the presenter had more input in the program though, did anyone watch A place in the Sun Down Under, amanda lamb was fabulous , and on that note Bring back Nadia Sawalha

Guest jacelynne
Good luck on your move! You must be soooo excited!

I totally agree with you. One of the first questions I asked myself when we decided to do this, was could I leave my family and friends behind?

I think if I lived just down the road from my nearest and dearest I might think differently, but my Mum and Dad think they are Gypsies (currently in India), my sister is 3.5 hours away as is my best friend!

It still makes me emotional the thought of saying goodbye to these people, but we will probably see more of them in terms of hours when they come to see us. My mum and dad are planning to get a campervan in Australia and spend as much of the year there as possible.

Melanie x

It is hard having to leave family and friends but like you my father is travelling to Thailand every 6 months, but I'm close to my sisters and their kids (as i have none of my own), and my best friend lives 300 miles aways and my other pals are moving to canada. I plan to still talk to my pal in london everyday just as i do now!?! Vodaphone will love me as a customer!!!

I've no doubt in my mind that there will be tears at the airport, but just as there will be tears of joy when i see them all again when they visit. Every negative has a positive somewhere you just have to find it!

Good luck with your visa.

xx

Our daughter left for Sydney 5 years ago with her partner and we never once tried to stop them. What an adventure! The planes do fly both ways, they could always come back !

I said(but not to daughter) that I would never make the journey out there, but have been 3 times now and going again in a few weeks.

She has now married partner and they have bought a house and seem to have a great lifestyle, certainly more outside than ever would have been possible here.

No way should parents be putting such pressures on their children. After all we try to instil independence and thinking for themselves on our children.

I am addicted to WDU but those crying parents just drive me mad!

Stop being so selfish!

Unsympathetic rant over...............

Pam

Guest sal 222

You will be pleased to know there are no tears in tomorrows show!!! At least not sad ones!.......Getting a bit nervous now though...as no idea what they will chose to put into the hour after 7 days filming!...sorry to be a bit silly but how do you do the footer along the bottom - after the show i will complete it (so i don't give anything away before!)........although i guess you are all getting a feel for it now....hope you enjoy it..best wishes, sal

Guest Shreen
Although im addicted this programme does my head in.

The families have a budget for housing but they seem to get shown houses over budget all the time.

Why not show houses on (or under ) budget in varying suburbs. Yes you can afford a shed in glenelg but you could afford a palace in salisbury.

i dont see the point in the part at the beginning where nicky does the country, city beach lifestyle anymore as the people dont get to choose. Im enjoying more the lifestyle section like when the boys tried surfing and when the pregnant couple met up with other families.

i really wish the presenter had more input in the program though, did anyone watch A place in the Sun Down Under, amanda lamb was fabulous , and on that note Bring back Nadia Sawalha

I completely agree with you! It drives me nuts. Its the same as the rental house, when they arrive, they are like "I like this, I could live here etc" but you can't afford it!

Don't get me started on the presenter! :)

What is the point of her? She may as well just narrate, as she is not even with them and she repeats things a thousand times. Why is she not with the families?

I used to love this show, but now I fast forward most of (I sky plus it) especially the family bit. This may be guilt towards leaving my own family. Like one member says they are saw their families 4 days previously, what do they get upset, but I guess they are only at "decsion" stage so it prob would be emotional!

must be very hard for you, as you say good thing she didn't see that episode! Did you see todays? The 7 year old was stubbornly against it at only 7!! Fingers crossed we can get there before she's 7/8, but nevertheless she wouldn't have a say and they adjust so much quicker once they have made friends. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you especially as your daughter would thank you for it in years to come I'm sure.

Yes I did see today's episode. You had better get out there quick before your daughter has any say in the matter. The mother today never really wanted to go and she was using her 7 year old as a reason not to go, but I suppose it was after all a free holiday for them!!!

Guest jacelynne
You will be pleased to know there are no tears in tomorrows show!!! At least not sad ones!.......Getting a bit nervous now though...as no idea what they will chose to put into the hour after 7 days filming!...sorry to be a bit silly but how do you do the footer along the bottom - after the show i will complete it (so i don't give anything away before!)........although i guess you are all getting a feel for it now....hope you enjoy it..best wishes, sal

yes, it will be good to put your face to your name!!! good luck!

x:cool:

Guest garynhelen

I'm glad we're not the only family that didn't blub! I've been thinking that we must have look really cold hearted! It's just that we've never lived close to family, so have not been too dependant on them. (Plus my parents will hopefully emigrate too once we're there) fingers crossed!

We just see all the many positives for our three kids, and a great place for us to spend the rest of our lives.

Plus there's always Skype! We use it now to 'see' my brother and family who already live in Perth. In fact we probably talk more now than when they lived in the UK 170 miles away!!

I'm sure there will be tears, I cried when my brother left, but I think that was more out of envy, lol!!

I wish the programme looked at the rental option as this is more than likely what we will do. (although not in Darwin, far too expensive for us!)

Overall. it was a great experience (except for the reality check!) and a fantastic opportunity to see a part of Oz we would never have otherwise been able to see, even if only to rule out moving there.

Its still WA for us though!

Guest garynhelen

We know how you feel! There was so much filming, you don't know what bits they will use. Hope you are happy with the editing. Looking forward to watching.

Helen

ps we're on 28th Jan:eek:

Guest sal 222

cool thanks - looking forward to seeing your show too - Your children are older so good that they pleased to go........from what we have seen this week that can be hard - Funny my youngest son said to day that he never wants to set foot on another piece of snow and wishes we were in Australia NOW! Don't we all............x

Guest scampi

I always record this programme as i am in work during the day. My daughter decided to go travelling to Australia after having packed up her job as a Radiographer,due to unfair treatment and support she received at the hospital. This was in Sept 2006.

The thought of not seeing her for a year was heartbreaking, so we went out in jan 2007 for 3 weeks. Then she decided to extend her visa for another year, and also met a boyfriend. They came back to the uk in oct 2008 and returned to oz in march 2009, having got engaged in that period. The wedding took place in oz in aug 2009.

Her husband is a lovely man and is from New Zealand.

However, we have had a roller coaster time - will she or won't she return. Now she looks very settled there. We are glad she is happy, but really missing her. Actually our son, after being made redundant is out there for at least a year also.

Now to get to this program - I find it very comforting to know that how we feel deep down is how all split families feel. I hear words coming from family and friends mouths saying they would support them and keep in touch, knowing full well inside they must be breaking up as especially parents and grandparents would not wish to stop any plans for their future happiness.

When i hear how difficult it is to actually speak to those in oz or New Zealand, it is nice to feel you are not alone - the time difference makes it very very hard.

On to Thursday's programme and the Giule family - what a lovely caring close family - and little Izzy - what a sense of humour - she's just likeTiffany in East Enders - brill

I think there's a stark contrast this time in that finances seem to be being discussed and are the ruling factor in decisions whereas in previous series it has been other issues. Credit crunch is hitting so many folk.

I'm enjoying the series but yes, not sure sure what the point of the presenter is (Nadia at least interacted with the families) and why the bloody frocks all the time?

Guest sal 222

Thats my mate Nicky your talking about...............only joking - no we don't get to meet them at all but she seems really nice - I don't think it is anything to do with the presenters what they do or don't do though that will be down to the production team - and i wouldn't mind betting it is a cost thing - it really is a low budget show and with the money they have they do really well........They were under a lot of presure to spend less money this time......we can't grumble too much or we may loose it!! Obviously some people would think that a good thing but i just love it! x

Thats my mate Nicky your talking about...............only joking - no we don't get to meet them at all but she seems really nice - I don't think it is anything to do with the presenters what they do or don't do though that will be down to the production team - and i wouldn't mind betting it is a cost thing - it really is a low budget show and with the money they have they do really well........They were under a lot of presure to spend less money this time......we can't grumble too much or we may loose it!! Obviously some people would think that a good thing but i just love it! x

Sal, did you not meet Nicky for filming ??

We met Nadia at Australia House to film the start and end of our show ,,this time Nicky came here to the house. Both are lovely ladies with a fab sense of humor and are much more 'grounded' than one would imagine a TV star to be.

Cal x

Archived