Yes this is the new series as in my first post of 4th January 2010.

Some comments I thought was funny, The son said "I like the sunshine here, we don,t get much in Glasgow"

The father said the houses were better than we have back home.

Sharon was very impressed by the quality of our hospitals and staffing levels etc. better than back home.

But the funniest was after looking at 2 houses in Redcliffe the commentator said we ill take a look at a smarter suburb, Kippa Ring. I,m still laughing.

When they were finished in Redcliffe it was said, "after a hard day in Redcliffe they are relaxing,[sitting on a boardwalk by the sea] not even on the peninsula!

I feel overall that people coming out might think it is easy, but if the TV cameras were not with them they would find it a lot more difficult.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem with this programme is that I believe it is edited beyond belief. Yes, the producers have to leave in some down/bad comments or the like. But, in general the programme is portrayed as life is all milk and honey and it ain't.

I have to say I still chuckle at the tears when watching the meassages from home considering they will be seeing everyone within a week. Understandable if the move is for real but not for 7 days !!!

At the moment the £1 is $1.68 which is over a $ down on when I first was down for 6 months in 2000 and it is 37c cents down to when I was there 18 months ago. Better obviously for someone coming to UK from Oz but a disaster from UK to Oz.

I just wonder if the Australian Government is tied in somewhere with this programme ?? A rough cost per programme must be in the region of $15,000 minimum after all the planning and arrangements are done.

Anyway's will look at today's.

One query ? how are watching it in Oz, is it on Fox BBC channel ?

Some comments I thought was funny, The son said "I like the sunshine here, we don,t get much in Glasgow"

The father said the houses were better than we have back home.

Sharon was very impressed by the quality of our hospitals and staffing levels etc. better than back home.

But the funniest was after looking at 2 houses in Redcliffe the commentator said we ill take a look at a smarter suburb, Kippa Ring. I,m still laughing.

When they were finished in Redcliffe it was said, "after a hard day in Redcliffe they are relaxing,[sitting on a boardwalk by the sea] not even on the peninsula!

I feel overall that people coming out might think it is easy, but if the TV cameras were not with them they would find it a lot more difficult.

How the hell are you watching it mister ? lol

pretty please pm fool proof (as in telling a 6 yr old,lol) instructions,,lol

Cal x

They don't publicise the start of the series' very well do they!! My goodness... I just noticed that it IS in fact on iPlayer (yesterday's episode) and there's today's starting in 4 minutes... eek!

I will watch them when I get back.

I'm off on a date in the meantime haha

Bring on August I say... flippin' heck it'll be a bit colder, but that's when we're aiming to go!! Just before mid-August so we catch the big rock festivals (Download/Sonisphere) here, and then that's it. Goneeeeee forever from England if it all goes to plan from here in! Could be a busy 8 months.

Guest heljef1

Hi everyone.

Sorry for this rant but the new series (like the others) is so frustrating!!! Don't get me wrong, i will probably continue to watch it, even if it is just to see the properties...lol.....

Don't want to offend anyone.............. but...

I sometimes think that the families/couples who go on the show don't want it 100%...

Maybe it's just me, cos i want it more than anything and am still waiting - very patiently - for the visa grant (am in the final stages with meds and pc's done)...

And do these people not talk to their families and friends about their plans????? As soon as we decided to do this we spoke to our families and friends and although everyone was upset, everyone says how much they will miss us but doesn't blame us for wanting a better life for our children!!

Are they on the show for a free weeks holiday to Australia???????

Please note this is just my opinion!!!!!!

OK rant over.....

Good luck to all those still waiting and many congrats to those who have been lucky enough to have their visa's.....

Helen xx

Guest ozzysteve

Yes i also have to agree, sometimes it looks like they can not be bothered :biglaugh: But after all it is only a TV show so who knows!!

I do like the look of the cost of living documents that are provided. Dose any one know where you could get something like those.

Missed yesterdays and have taped today's to watch tonight. However, the last series didn't really touch on the main issue ie, the visa. Just wondering if this one is different, because I do wonder how many people who vote to go actually don't because of the visas. Wouldn't make good telly though to point out that the visa costs hundreds of pounds and you could wait until 2012 to have your application looked at though would it?!

DIAC must dread these programmes as they must be inundated following them. Nice little earner though.

i so agree with you where do they get these people from the street there are so many people on here desperately waiting visas or house sold etc

they always show houses that are too expensive

and the people who got loads of family they dont want to leave behind

carole x

Guest pablofet1
Hi everyone.

Sorry for this rant but the new series (like the others) is so frustrating!!! Don't get me wrong, i will probably continue to watch it, even if it is just to see the properties...lol.....

Don't want to offend anyone.............. but...

I sometimes think that the families/couples who go on the show don't want it 100%...

Maybe it's just me, cos i want it more than anything and am still waiting - very patiently - for the visa grant (am in the final stages with meds and pc's done)...

And do these people not talk to their families and friends about their plans????? As soon as we decided to do this we spoke to our families and friends and although everyone was upset, everyone says how much they will miss us but doesn't blame us for wanting a better life for our children!!

Are they on the show for a free weeks holiday to Australia???????

Please note this is just my opinion!!!!!!

OK rant over.....

Good luck to all those still waiting and many congrats to those who have been lucky enough to have their visa's.....

Helen xx

Well said, we feel exactly the same!:arghh:

Mel

Guest SophieB

The programme is geared towards people who haven't done more than had a passing thought about emigrating, not us die-hards who know the realities. They hardly even give a nod to the visa process.

The bit that gets me is when they give the family a snippet of Aussie lifestyle and it's always something a bit stereotypical and not particularly realistic. Those two teenage boys aren't going to be driven an hour to do surfing in real life and they aren't going to Aussie rules training when they'd rather join a soccer team and meet like minded kids. It's a bit of a soft focus programme IMHO.

Guest SophieB

I agree, I think it's not particularly a programme for folks like us, it's for all of the millions of people who once thought about Oz on a damp Wednesday. I think the purpose of the programme is to explore the reasons people start to apply for visas and most of the people on the show are guinea pigs used to highlight the different issues. I don't doubt that some are absolutely set on the idea but if they all were then it wouldn't make as good viewing for the general disatisfied public.

Guest sal 222

i think in fairness to todays couple it was clear he really wanted to go and he was being so generous to consider his wife. As you will see from Fridays episode no one could want the move to Oz more then me but i didn't know how my husband and children would feel until we went. The programme is a great way to think about all these issues but it is 'only' a programme - designed for viewers more then participants! However, if you are like us we had an absolute ball and the programme really helped me show my family what life in Australia is like - if i'm honest i think being on WDU for us was very significant! How it comes across when it is aired will be interesting to see!! (we don't get to see it before friday either)..

Guest heljef1
i think in fairness to todays couple it was clear he really wanted to go and he was being so generous to consider his wife. As you will see from Fridays episode no one could want the move to Oz more then me but i didn't know how my husband and children would feel until we went. The programme is a great way to think about all these issues but it is 'only' a programme - designed for viewers more then participants! However, if you are like us we had an absolute ball and the programme really helped me show my family what life in Australia is like - if i'm honest i think being on WDU for us was very significant! How it comes across when it is aired will be interesting to see!! (we don't get to see it before friday either)..

Hi Sal222

yeah i think the guy on today's show was being considerate to his wife, however, knowing she was pregnant and having to cope without her family, i just ask myself why she was considering emmigrating anyway..... maybe it's my feelings of frustration getting the better of me and wanting to get there as soon as....

Will look forward to watching you on Friday - did you decide to to go through the process or remain here in the UK???????

Helen x

Guest heljef1
that would be telling!!! wait and see................

:biglaugh: lmao!!!! ok i will wait and see................................

Has anyone else on here ever been on the Wanted Down Under show and did it make you change your mind???? Were you going through the process or just considering it?????

Interested to know

Thanks Helen x

Re SophieB Post.

The two teenage boys I believe were simply being shown what is available and also the producers want that sort of thing in a programme like that.

Watching the 1st & the 2nd programme this morning one can see where the 'Whinging Pom' gets its name.

The couple in Darwin today (Tuesday) I do not think had any intention really to make the move. They were just testing the water and this was a free jolly for them to do it by.

It is the 'videos' from the 'loved ones' back home that grip me. You would think that whoever has gone to the moon forever instead of a long flight away and only for 7 to 10 days before they are back home.

The people at home should give encouragement to the people who are thinking of making the move, not tell them they should not go at every chance they get. It is the last thing that the intended movers want to be hearing from family and friends. It is cheap enough to fly either way and there is the 'web cam' to keep the visual contact up with.

Repeating, the exchange rate at the moment would possibly discourage some as it is very poor and Oz is not cheap anymore taking everything into consideration.

Hi all,

We are on wanted down under this year. While i think some people think its a free holiday, which it is not as some days we did not finish filming until 1.30am! We (me) really wanted to make to the move, but my partner really did not want to go. I feel it is a great way to show the whole family something of what it will be like, even though a lot of aspects of the show are edited in a certain way and that we did not get to choose which city or area to try out for the week.

Having said all that it was a great eye opener, in which all my family enjoyed although I think the editing will make it appear what ever the BBC want it to be, it did give us many things to think about and make a decision. I was most surprised re the small budget and how much they have to film to make the show in such a small amount of time. Given all that the end product is great even if you dont always love the family taking part.

I just hope we dont come across as a family who wanted a free holiday, we did not!!!

Tina, family of five

Guest sh7t man no way

fair point helen--but you can discuss it all you want with your family--but when its about to happen that's when the brown stuff hits the fan-----------Ive watched it myself the last 2 days,and the only real problem i see in there lives, is the issue of the family thing--lifestyle yes--houses yes--kids future-- yes---but as soon as the family thing comes in it tears,and there whole dream falls apart--food for thought that---------you only realise the love of a family when its not there.

Guest mattbenecci

Hi all

Love the programme - not sure about the contestants though! Surely they cant make that life changing decision based on just one week down under? Always amazes me the amount of people that have never been out to OZ who say that it is their ambition to emigrate --- it just does not make sense! Its like saying that you want Turkey for dinner when you have never eaten meat.

Anybody who has been down under will know that it takes a week to get over the flight and time difference, let alone get a job, see the City, take in the sights, deal with the emotions etc etc etc. So although we love the programme and will watch again avidly, I do find myself screaming at the likes of todays couple from Wigan.... golden opportunity missed... wonderful wage prospects, weather..... back to Wigan then because they cant cope without family and pubs!!! could have sorted that one out before dearture me thinks.

My advice to any family thinking about going to Australia to live is get out there and research as much as possible - take in different areas- spend a few weeks several times and in different areas, the grass is not always greener and certainly one mans meat is another mans poison ie Love Adelaide, hate Sydney, curious about Darwin, drawn to Perth... but not to live. All this we found out through time and effort.

Happy New Year and good luck to all going down under.

Matt Benecci:twitcy:

Hi all

Love the programme - not sure about the contestants though! Surely they cant make that life changing decision based on just one week down under? Always amazes me the amount of people that have never been out to OZ who say that it is their ambition to emigrate --- it just does not make sense! Its like saying that you want Turkey for dinner when you have never eaten meat.

Anybody who has been down under will know that it takes a week to get over the flight and time difference, let alone get a job, see the City, take in the sights, deal with the emotions etc etc etc. So although we love the programme and will watch again avidly, I do find myself screaming at the likes of todays couple from Wigan.... golden opportunity missed... wonderful wage prospects, weather..... back to Wigan then because they cant cope without family and pubs!!! could have sorted that one out before dearture me thinks.

My advice to any family thinking about going to Australia to live is get out there and research as much as possible - take in different areas- spend a few weeks several times and in different areas, the grass is not always greener and certainly one mans meat is another mans poison ie Love Adelaide, hate Sydney, curious about Darwin, drawn to Perth... but not to live. All this we found out through time and effort.

Happy New Year and good luck to all going down under.

Matt Benecci:twitcy:

Hi Matt

I think like you, when they get there family messages why are they crying at the telly there only there a week then going back home they havent done it for good yet !! :nah:

Your right you cant from a week trial, i lived out there moving around for about 9 months and still not long enough

Lindsey

Hi there,

I have just watched the shows on BBC iplayer, I have never seen it before in previous years, as I work 12 hours a day (self employed) the boss is a real slave driver (the wife, lol).

I think the show is great, yeah ok it is impossible to make such a big lifestyle change in just one week, but it gives anyone on the show a great stepping stone, to return and further research this massive life changing experience.

I am so jealous, I wish it was me going back again (and hopefully soon with visa in-hand, but think that is still a long way off).

I say good luck to all on the show, no matter what their decision.

Guest heljef1
Hi all,

We are on wanted down under this year. While i think some people think its a free holiday, which it is not as some days we did not finish filming until 1.30am! We (me) really wanted to make to the move, but my partner really did not want to go. I feel it is a great way to show the whole family something of what it will be like, even though a lot of aspects of the show are edited in a certain way and that we did not get to choose which city or area to try out for the week.

Having said all that it was a great eye opener, in which all my family enjoyed although I think the editing will make it appear what ever the BBC want it to be, it did give us many things to think about and make a decision. I was most surprised re the small budget and how much they have to film to make the show in such a small amount of time. Given all that the end product is great even if you dont always love the family taking part.

I just hope we dont come across as a family who wanted a free holiday, we did not!!!

Tina, family of five

Hi Tina.

Hope i haven't offended you in any way, didn't want to come across like that. i didn't realise that you don't get to choose where you want to go so my apologies and maybe that's why few couples decide it's not what they want. It must be hard if only one of you want to do it and the other one doesn't. couldn't imagine how i would feel...

when are you on do you know?

helen

hi,

Not offended at all sorry if i came across as a moaning pom!!!

Sorry i think i am getting a little stressed as seen out write up, which is very dramatic!!! So wondering what they have made us look like. I was kinda gona keep quite about when we were on in case a load of people think we are..... what ever, so i could just run and hide.

Just wanted to point out as I never knew till i went on the programme (new format and all, which also never knew about) that with the small budget i still think ( maybe not after I see myself) it is a good programme. Who they pick to go on I sometimes wonder like everyone because some don't seem to be at all interested.

From my point of view i have wanted to go for about 6 years but had given up as my partner although could see the benefits felt it would be too hard to leave his family.So I have really looked into many aspects of life down under and wanted the BBC to show us things I may not have considered. For us it was an excellent adventure, which although sometimes stressful we found really useful.

Well lets just see what everyone thinks after they have seen me on TV!!!!

So we are on Monday 11th, but don't tell anyone else, most of my friends and people at work dont even know!!!

Tina from family of five.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

i think a big problem with WDU is that they keep changing the format. Originally the people had a choice where they wanted to go and now the place is chosen for them. Also they are shown houses where the prices are too much for what you get and anyone who has trawled the hundreds of pages of realestate.com.au knows like me that there are fabulous cheap houses in good areas, but the programme never really shows this. At least the two shows this time have people who can actually afford to go, the last series had several people who were never going to be in a position to make a good go of it and would struggle straight away and it painted Australia in a bad light. I find it interesting that they show the cost of living quotes and clearly the cost of things in Australia have gone up because the pound has sunk to an all time low, but this is the same in europe and anywhere in the world, the pound has sunk like a brick everywhere, so WDU trying to make out things are dearer in OZ are doing so at a time which has never been seen before and the upshot of this, is that the wages in Australia are now far higher compared to the uk because of the devalued pound, but it is all irrelevant because the only way you can compare things is by the pay and cost of living in each country. We applied to go on WDU and we are both professional people who wanted to go to OZ and would be taking alot of money with us and when they discovered this after a number of contacted e-mails, they dropped us like a stone and couldn't even be bothered to reply to our e-mails. We are of the opinion that they want drama and uncertainty and we didn't tick all the boxes, after all if they make it look too good, then everyone will want to leave the uk and just what will happen then, can the uk sink any lower, only time will tell.

jim 175 PR visa granted 24/11/2009 yipeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Archived