• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donovan
too ashamed... would you put your face to it :twitcy: lol xx

Just to let you know we put our face to it on the first series, along with other members of PIO

Sarah x

Guest WARDStoOZ
sarah ive watched them all, and have to say it was more realistic when you guys were on, it just seems a bit worn out now x

I agree! I loved the episode where Sarah and her family were on... it's definately changed now :-(

Dan xx :-)

Guest WARDStoOZ

Also, I'm considering complaining that Brisbane gets very few appearances in these programmes for some reason which is beyond me as it's such a beautiful place... Adelaide is nice and would be a close second for us but it seems to be on these programmes all the time...!

Guest donovan
sarah ive watched them all, and have to say it was more realistic when you guys were on, it just seems a bit worn out now x

Thanks Sharon, not seen the 3rd & 4th series, I will have to email the link to one of the producers I keep in touch with and tell him to sort it out lol

Sarah x

Guest WARDStoOZ
Yeah i noticed that, i watch every day hoping Brisbane is gonna pop up but never does!

Tell me about it lol!

Dan :-)

Guest donovan
I agree! I loved the episode where Sarah and her family were on... it's definately changed now :-(

Thanks Dan, kind words as always

Sarah x

Guest juliemtaylor

I think they are trying to either put us off applying given the backlog, or trying to steer us to NZ or Darwin or Adelaide as maybe more go to the other parts of Oz!

Conspiracy theory?

Guest WARDStoOZ
I think they are trying to either put us off applying given the backlog, or trying to steer us to NZ or Darwin or Adelaide as maybe more go to the other parts of Oz!

Conspiracy theory?

lol! I agree! And they occasionally sneek a bit of Melbourne in so they don't get complaints lol!

Guest allthegoodnamesaretaken
Not sure what kind of investigators/analysts we would make! Ha Ha!

Julie

Awesome ones, Obviously! Lmao x:goofy:

Guest dentytd

hi, all new to this so bear with me!:smile:

I have just watched all the wanted down unders and todays was about adelaide, it didn't add up to what i watched on another programme called places in the sun down under which was on friday, they had some lovely house a little older but good prices. so which is correct with the info they give. all too confusing when trying to find out and decide where to live when we move over.

Guest trooper

watched todays show with the family looking for a business in adelaide and all i can say is the bloke was a complete idiot

no research

no idea

no hope

They could have landed him in Bognor Regis, he would be none the wiser

Do the bbc do no research on the people they allow onto the show!?!?!?

yes I agree trooper,yet more idealistic poms who think they will go to Oz buy a 4 bedroom with pool for $200,000 and sit in the sun and work about 20 hours a week for the same money you get over here working full time,please get people on the show who know what its all about

• 2 weeks later...

The new series which finishes on Friday on BBC in UK after 15 new shows has been an eye opener for those thinking life in Oz was the end of the rainbow.

Out of all those that have done the week Down-Under I think only 2 families have opted to make the move. The reason, poor wages and a very high cost of living.

It was cheap to be in Oz when I first started to visit 10 years ago, not any more. I visit about every 18 months for 6 months at a time. I stay with my Oz police friends in Sydney and Canberra but travel extensively.

The families in the main in the programmes found the houses very expensive for what you got and some remarked on the poor quality of build. Yes, there are some really nice houses as there are anywhere.

The families went to Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Darwin and Brisbane.

Adelaide has they say the cheapest and biggest Fresh food market in Oz. But the families found things there more expensive than UK. The one thing that is cheaper in Oz is petrol.

I returned to UK in May of last year after 6 months. I was shocked at how much prices had risen in the 12 months I had been back in Uk to my previous visit. I had some Oz friends stay with me for a month after I got back and they were amazed that that the only thing they found more expensive in ASDA than in Oz was fillet steak. Everything else in meats, veg, fruit etc etc and even Oz wines is cheaper in UK they said.

Going back to the TV show. One policeman who went to Adelaide would have been on $24,000 a year less in Oz compared to what he was on in UK.

I love Oz and I know you cannot buy the warmth and the sun, but sadly that does not fill the tummy. Eating out anywhere I found very expensive compared to UK.

The one place I have not been is what is starting to be called 'Little UK' and that is Perth. They report that there are more UK people there than anywhere else in Oz.

I would add to some of the caustic posts that the BBC research 3 jobs and 3 locations very well indeed for each programme. They do know what they are doing as the Oz TV channel works doing the Oz end of research.

The days of wine and roses in Oz are I think coming to an end now sadly.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Out of all those that have done the week Down-Under I think only 2 families have opted to make the move. The reason, poor wages and a very high cost of living.

I think that all depends on where you are living and your circumstances. I live in Brissie and am earning the same money for doing less hours. I am a registered nurse. Granted I work EVERY weekend here but that is my choice so that I have my days off with my OH.

I returned to UK in May of last year after 6 months. I was shocked at how much prices had risen in the 12 months I had been back in Uk to my previous visit. I had some Oz friends stay with me for a month after I got back and they were amazed that that the only thing they found more expensive in ASDA than in Oz was fillet steak. Everything else in meats, veg, fruit etc etc and even Oz wines is cheaper in UK they said.

Sad it may be...but....I did an online "shop" on Asda in uk and i agree. Loads of things are much dearer! The thing that does my head in here for cost is bread!!! Whats that about? ALcohol is definately dearer here in Oz too! Cant get a case of Stella for a tenner here! LOL!

Eating out anywhere I found very expensive compared to UK.

Again I think that depends on where you go. I go to several eateries. Some where I could spend massively and some cheaper places, I choose by quality not cost. If I like somewhere I will go whatever the cost.

The days of wine and roses in Oz are I think coming to an end now sadly.

It is sad that there are the misconceptions re-coming to Oz. People do think wine and flowers and weather and being able to give up work! When I came here almost 4 years ago I came here with the intention of working my butt off to get me a nice place to live. I have a bigger mortgage here than in the UK!

Just a few random thoughts after reading the quoted post

There will be certain jobs across the whole spectrum of employment that is on a par with UK to some degree in hours and money. But I think they are few and far between.

I do not dispute there are places that are on a par with eating out in UK. I had meals in Newcastle, Hunter Valley, Tamworth, Port Stephens, Walcha, all over Sydney (including the Fish Markets), Windsor, Canberra, Adelaide, Braidwood to name a few. Meals in RSL's shopping malls, markets, cafe`s, and restaurants. At the end of the day in 99% of the places the meals would be cheaper in UK.

This mornings programme was a manager of a Market Garden in Uk and the place was Darwin where he was offered employment. His wife suffers from arthritis (I think it was) and needs a warm climate to help recovery. They found property simply out of reach price wise to get anything near what they have in Uk. At the end of it all it appears that for the wife's health they were going to take the plunge.

What was the 'Promised Land' 10/15 years ago is no longer so. This series has proved it by the variation of people and places gone to have shown. As one Oz said to me, 'if the UK had our weather we would be queueing up to get into UK'.

The shocker has been to these people both the low wages and high house prices.

All that said it will not stop me and my next visit down towards the end of this year for a police reunion in Coloundra. I love the place even as expensive as it now has become.

Me and oh just waded thro the rainforest that is papers from uk and here and in Wa and sorted the wheat from the chaff. They obviously have not considered rates and energy costs found an energy statement bear in mind they have rocketed over the past year it was shedloads more than our bills here and that was a summer bill lekky was 2.5 times as high and here in the rental there is no gas so everything is run off it but dont use aircon cause it gives you cold ( i`m tight really) . We are in the process of gettin a h&l package rates $1000 a year paid 1200 quid in uk last year no sorry more. Like owt else food you have to look for bargains fruit and veg , the veggie shacks , meat avon valley at perth suppliers from the farm bit dear but economical in quality, bread shops have specials and its not asda gloop that even fish wont touch.Beer is more expensive but thats the tax as usual

Mally

Archived