Kaye, dear!!!

For your own good you should have been locked up and not allowed to watch either programme, my friend!!!

Trust me, on the last series there was a house in Adelaide that I would have killed for. Donovan (Sarah) viewed it in person...

Big Hugz

Gill

xxxx :twitcy::twitcy:

I know but do you know what I will probably change my mind again :biglaugh:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest OldiesRUs

I've only watched a couple of these programmes and found them SO misleading. Anyone who is watching must think that you just decide to go to Oz one day, pack up the next and you go!

There are no mentions of TRA's, fees, police checks, medicals, those mythical creatures called Case Officers (yes, I am still waiting for one of those), or any of the other one hundred and one things ............................

Jean:wubclub:

Guest funiowcple

I have watched all this week, and it still amazes me some of the things people say on the show.

When the couple where looking in freemantle and said meat was about the same, I think he was thinking the prices were for LB's not kilo. Show me where you can buy scotch fillet for $10.99 a kilo, or £2.50 a LB in the UK? your lucky to get mince for that.

And why do they always show people whos parents need help or are recovering for major sureury?

And they always say they want to spend more time with the kids, finish work and head down the beach for a swim, and cricket. Well why don't they do that here. Finish work and spend time with their kids at the park or where ever. it's not rocket surgery!

Life is what you make it.. you don't need to travel around the world to make changes to your life. But we are off to Brisbane in June. We live there for 14 years before returning to the UK for a working holiday, we have been here 5 years and can't wait to return to Oz. Our life was sooooooooo much better there, even with all the good and bad.

Put another beer in the eskie, hold the steak until i get there, (i like it rare), see you on South Perigian beach. We will be the lilly white ones, waiting for the sun to do its work.

Guest cantwait

Hi Everyone

I can't help noticing that alot of these people on the program seem to think they can go to Oz, work less hours and still live to a high standard. We are going with the attitude that once we get there the hard work will begin, because you have to make a whole new life. Unless you go with a huge pot of money, I don't think it is very realistic to go and think you can reduce your hours. One couple this week were going to let the wife work while the husband gave up - don't really understand that attitude.:no:

Guest afiyafifi
Hi Everyone

I can't help noticing that alot of these people on the program seem to think they can go to Oz, work less hours and still live to a high standard. We are going with the attitude that once we get there the hard work will begin, because you have to make a whole new life. Unless you go with a huge pot of money, I don't think it is very realistic to go and think you can reduce your hours. One couple this week were going to let the wife work while the husband gave up - don't really understand that attitude.:no:

I totally agree with you, were not going over thinking it will be easy we just want a better life style, was watching to day and cairns has my heart its lovely , I dont take to heart to much of what they say on the programme, i have done my own reserch . i dont want a big posh house just a better healthy life for my kids ... karen

Is it me or is the program not as good as last series. the last one i watched each episode thrice over and got very excited with it.... i have only watched a few this time and each one i felt the couples were quite dispondent... i don't know, maybe i'm wrong....

that said... i'm still 110% excited about going!!! lol

min x:wubclub:

Is it me or is the program not as good as last series. the last one i watched each episode thrice over and got very excited with it.... i have only watched a few this time and each one i felt the couples were quite dispondent... i don't know, maybe i'm wrong....

that said... i'm still 110% excited about going!!! lol

min x:wubclub:

Yes you are right, I have only seen 3 of them this time, 2 in Oz and one in NZ, and they were not excited even before they left the Uk to go to Oz. Yet they choose to go still!!!

Didnt see todays though

Hi all,

I didn't see the last programme and I must admit that I said to my OH this morning that the people are getting on my nerves. Everyone seems so negative. If the BBC want to pay for me to go to Australia for a week, I'll go lol. I'd be really happy promise!

Todays couple were very happy and positive about going the best yet I think have to agree with others though miserable sods :biglaugh:

Guest homer and marge

must say I do find this show misleading and most do seem to be in it for a free holiday. But the foxes that was on today have had their visa granted and are still going.

But what I want to know is when are they going to shoe Adelaide?

Marge x

Guest scots-in-oz!

I agree, the programme has been very misleading for people not in the know. - the house prices, medicals, etc. And again, I still watch it!

We watched last years series, and that's what got us into thinking about emigtating again. We had a holiday in Brisbane last March and stayed in one of the houses that one of the featured families had stayed in. We had taped the programme & when the family first looked around the house it showed the lovely swimming pool - it certainly did not have a pool when we were there AFTER it had been shown on tv! Clever editing! Either that or they decided to fill in the pool, turf it over, and hide all evidence of its existance before we got there!

I'm going to have a look at Cairns too now - it looks lovely!

Mags:wubclub:

x

Hi,

I've been avidly watching the Wanted Down Under series this week. Just want to know if anybody else thinks the same as me tho -

the family on Wednesday programme were looking at WA, now they said at the beginning of the property search they had £180k to bring over and would like to buy without a mortgage, lets see what you get for your money. In the voiceover, Nadia whatsername says you can get 4bed family house in Rockingham area for around £200k. Now my ears prick up, coz we fancy that area, sounds a decent price, looking forward to this! WHY oh WHY then, do they show them houses (lovely as they were) for nothing under £260k?????

Is it to make the programme look good, fancy newly renovated or new build houses, but what about us that live in the real world and want affordability??!!:arghh:

Sorry about me ranting, its just i would really like to see what the average joe bloggs could really afford! By the way, im from yorkshire, got a pretty low mortgage here and we are (apparently) notorious for being tight with money here, so maybe that explains why im so peeved!! lol.

:biglaugh:

Yes I totally agree as bad as it my have been they should have shown them what they could have got for the money they had.

All the best from an oldgit

I'm going to have a look at Cairns too now - it looks lovely!

x

Dont say it to loud or everyone will want to come.

It looked so great I cant wait to get there, :yes:

Guest Redaussies
I've only watched a couple of these programmes and found them SO misleading. Anyone who is watching must think that you just decide to go to Oz one day, pack up the next and you go!

There are no mentions of TRA's, fees, police checks, medicals, those mythical creatures called Case Officers (yes, I am still waiting for one of those), or any of the other one hundred and one things ............................

Jean:wubclub:

Absolutely spot on, last year I said the same thing and upset a few people by doing so. But you are so right, and I just hate to see people mislead like that.

Guest donovan

Hiya we are the Jones family on the Wanted down Under, we were filmed last year, and were very careful about what we said, so it could not get edited ( well not much to worry about anyway). We will be on again at the end of January, and were shown around showhomes where we live on Pacific Pines, we were very careful and made sure that we found out exactly how much the house was worth inc land before we said it on tv, the BBC all in all were very good, so hopefully we wont come across as misleading people as that would be the last thing anyone wants to do. Hope you enjoy the programme can't wait for the feedback.

Sarah x

Guest scots-in-oz!
Hiya we are the Jones family on the Wanted down Under, we were filmed last year, and were very careful about what we said, so it could not get edited ( well not much to worry about anyway). We will be on again at the end of January, and were shown around showhomes where we live on Pacific Pines, we were very careful and made sure that we found out exactly how much the house was worth inc land before we said it on tv, the BBC all in all were very good, so hopefully we wont come across as misleading people as that would be the last thing anyone wants to do. Hope you enjoy the programme can't wait for the feedback.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah!

Looking forward to watching your update programme! Not sure when it's on yet. They might do an update programme at the end of this series? I really like the look of Pac Pines, so it will be great to see your new life there!

x

Guest donovan
Hi Sarah!

Looking forward to watching your update programme! Not sure when it's on yet. They might do an update programme at the end of this series? I really like the look of Pac Pines, so it will be great to see your new life there!

x

Thanks Mags

Hope you enjoy it!!!

Sarah x

I agree with you wardy - everything with a pinch of salt. Just another moan to add - when they checked out the supermarket prices, the guy went to a small, independent supermarket and was shocked by some of the prices compared to UK. whats wrong with sending him to ASDA/Tesco equivalent in OZ - come on BBC, show us the real stuff.

There was a time when the BBC provided accurate and unbiased reporting

Sadly those days has long since gone.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest writer201

I watched some of the programmes and picked up on incredible bias from the presenter. In one episode she said there were more jobs and opportunities in Australia which I doubt. Opportunity is where you find it regardless of where you are and there are plenty here in the UK. There were also inconsistencies when it came to describing the cost of living. In one episode the family said they found food shopping was more expensive than they anticipated and was quite comparable to the UK (The candidate was the Policewoman who would earn approx £22K). In another the presenter said an equivalent salary of £25k (for an electrician) would go further in Oz due to cheaper living costs. The daughter of a friend of mine emigrated to OZ with her fiance and they have found the cost of living since they were there 6 years ago has rocketed, no doubt in part due to the prolonged drought. Their combined earnings don't go as far as they expected. WHICH IS CORRECT? Taxation was only mentioned once that I know of. A friend living in Sydney who earns earns approx AU$85K told me he earns £15k less and pays more tax than he did in the UK as taxation is higher in OZ. Both sets of friends are looking for houses but find despite earning good salaries in OZ terms they can't afford much because interest rates are higher as is the cost of housing and they will stretch themselves financially by taking on a mortgage. In one episode a young couple went to a broker and were told that on a combined salary of AU$ 80k they could get a AUS$500.000k mortgage. I find that hard to believe as that is almost 6.2X their salaries. That is the equivalent of earning £30k in the UK and taking on a £300,000 mortgage. I find the concept of what the programme is saying inaccurate compared to the information I have received as I myself have considered a move to Australia and have taken an active interest in what the programme is saying. I just get the impression from my expats friends who aren't overwhelmed by living in a new country where all is wonderful and from Australians who live and work here that apart from the sunshine Australia is fast becoming an expensive country in which to live. Another reason Australia is seeking so many immigrants is because many native born Australians are moving abroad and are increasingly doing so on a permanent basis. A problem apparently the Australian government are aware of but you don't hear much about. So where do you go from here? I will be staying put and will have a look around when I go to Oz and New Zealand next year and see for myself.

Guest writer201

It is on the BBC at 9:15am directly after the Morning News for 45 minutes. As far as I'm aware it isn not shown anywhere else . .

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could tell me which channel Wanted Down Under is on, I know people are saying BBC but I cannot find it. Is it on Sky, as it not on Virgin Media.

Can anyone help as I would love to watch it.

Debbie & Stuart

:)

Hi Debbie & Stuart

It is on every week day at 9.15am on BBC 1. You might also want to check out BBC - BBC iPlayer - Home to get the last 7 days worth. I think this may be the last week of WDU.

Tahe

I watched some of the programmes and picked up on incredible bias from the presenter. In one episode she said there were more jobs and opportunities in Australia which I doubt. Opportunity is where you find it regardless of where you are and there are plenty here in the UK. There were also inconsistencies when it came to describing the cost of living. In one episode the family said they found food shopping was more expensive than they anticipated and was quite comparable to the UK (The candidate was the Policewoman who would earn approx £22K). In another the presenter said an equivalent salary of £25k (for an electrician) would go further in Oz due to cheaper living costs. The daughter of a friend of mine emigrated to OZ with her fiance and they have found the cost of living since they were there 6 years ago has rocketed, no doubt in part due to the prolonged drought. Their combined earnings don't go as far as they expected. WHICH IS CORRECT? Taxation was only mentioned once that I know of. A friend living in Sydney who earns earns approx AU$85K told me he earns £15k less and pays more tax than he did in the UK as taxation is higher in OZ. Both sets of friends are looking for houses but find despite earning good salaries in OZ terms they can't afford much because interest rates are higher as is the cost of housing and they will stretch themselves financially by taking on a mortgage. In one episode a young couple went to a broker and were told that on a combined salary of AU$ 80k they could get a AUS$500.000k mortgage. I find that hard to believe as that is almost 6.2X their salaries. That is the equivalent of earning £30k in the UK and taking on a £300,000 mortgage. I find the concept of what the programme is saying inaccurate compared to the information I have received as I myself have considered a move to Australia and have taken an active interest in what the programme is saying. I just get the impression from my expats friends who aren't overwhelmed by living in a new country where all is wonderful and from Australians who live and work here that apart from the sunshine Australia is fast becoming an expensive country in which to live. Another reason Australia is seeking so many immigrants is because many native born Australians are moving abroad and are increasingly doing so on a permanent basis. A problem apparently the Australian government are aware of but you don't hear much about. So where do you go from here? I will be staying put and will have a look around when I go to Oz and New Zealand next year and see for myself.

I think you are correct - it doesn't seem to be consistant. However I think you need to take it all with a pinch of salt. Not any one thing is going to be enough to make up my mind. I like to look at all the options - watch the shows, reasearch the internet and talk to people. This way you get a more rounded opinion of life down under. At the end of the day you will have a gut instinct about whether it is the right thing for you - those feelings are normally the right ones!:yes:

Archived