The weather ?

bristolman

1 hour ago, LKC said:

Yep, we're right in the middle of the red area.  OH came home early yesterday, it took some of his work colleagues three or more hours to get home, but thankfully it only took him an hour (usually takes 30 minutes).  We've had a whomping overnight, and this morning have no water.  The pipes inside the house seem okay, but the pipe to the house appears to be frozen somewhere.  It's a new house (new build), so we'll phone the builder in a bit and hopefully it'll be sorted out.   Kids are off school again today, and OH will have to stay home from work depending on the plumbing situation.

Keep warm xM

21 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Mine are over too they have just been showing us there facebook feeds getting a lot of snow where they are from and the schools are closed, crappy weather for the start of spring feel sorry for those stuck there! Not good.

does anyone remember the 60s and 70s ...this is nothing ....we have had 6 days of snow in the whole winter ....and the first days below zero in 7 years in the west midlands .??

we have a couple of inches of snow , and its called " the beast from the east " ??

its the slowing of the jet stream that's all , like what has been hitting the Easter united states .

think of me in a couple of weeks in beautiful north Devon ?

then onto of Italy in the summer ...lake garda , Venice and Rome

6 days of snow and 3 days below zero will soon be forgotten .

sat outside the pub until 10 .....driving for work along those beautiful country lanes ....pull over where I like for a read of the paper ....its all worth it

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

does anyone remember the 60s and 70s ...this is nothing ....we have had 6 days of snow in the whole winter ....and the first days below zero in 7 years in the west midlands .??

we have a couple of inches of snow , and its called " the beast from the east " ??

its the slowing of the jet stream that's all , like what has been hitting the Easter united states .

sat outside the pub until 10 .....driving for work along those beautiful country lanes ....pull over where I like for a read of the paper ....its all worth it

we have been so lucky the last few years ...seriously

Drove home last night. All fine till I left the A road. Had to get a farmer to tow me into the village using a telehandler. Tried the other road out this morning and no way  I could make it. Only accessible by 4x4 and then with difficulty. So, thought I would walk to town for groceries and there and back random people in 4x4's give me lifts. 

School is still closed, and OH's work is closed too.  OH has spent the morning digging out two 4x4's and the lane down to the road with the neighbours, so that one car can go and get animal feed (we live in a small development on a farm) and one can go to the supermarket.  The neighbour who was heading to the supermarket has just got back with the things we needed, so I have milk and so on that I was running a bit short on.  The people who needed to get animal feed have given us eggs from their chickens, in return for OH helping to get them out.  OH is still out clearing snow somewhere, the kids are out building igloos with the other kids who live here, and I am rugged up in the warm with the tail end of the flu/cold/cough thing I've had for a couple of weeks.

The snow drifts are massive, some up as far as OH's shoulders.  OH will need to try and get to work tomorrow I think, so hopefully it will ease off a bit.

Still snowing here, but very lightly. 

Got a nice casserole in the oven slow cooking for tonight. Have red wine. So no issues. Suspect we will be snowed in till Sunday. Which is annoying as it looks like I will be able to go to work on Monday. 

My wife spent an hour tramping down the snow in the garden so that the little one can go out as it was above his head. So he is happy now. 

• Like 2

On 01/03/2018 at 09:54, bunbury61 said:

Exactly, in a bad year now we get 3 or 4 days of snow, more usually none at all. I love the generally mild temperate climate in this country, I'm over having my retinas burnt out sweating just getting out of bed lol. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Exactly, in a bad year now we get 3 or 4 days of snow, more usually none at all. I love the generally mild temperate climate in this country, I'm over having my retinas burnt out sweating just getting out of bed lol. 

first few days below zero in 7 years in the west mids ....saw a woman , without any consideration for the conditions on the m40 yesterday afternoon .

we were cautiously driving on the 2 inside lanes at 40 - 50 mph ...she came up the outside lane and spun her vauxhall corsa in the outside lane .

if everyone else had been driving at 70mph ...it could have been tragic .....she smashed her corsa to bits on the central barrier .

and it all happens in slow motion

4 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

first few days below zero in 7 years in the west mids ....saw a woman , without any consideration for the conditions on the m40 yesterday afternoon .

we were cautiously driving on the 2 inside lanes at 40 - 50 mph ...she came up the outside lane and spun her vauxhall corsa in the outside lane .

if everyone else had been driving at 70mph ...it could have been tragic .....she smashed her corsa to bits on the central barrier .

and it all happens in slow motion

No sympathy at all, play stupid games win stupid prizes. 

It is far from funny for most of the UK with some areas on Amber or Red alerts. There have been muliple pile ups on various motorways across the country causing people to be stuck for hours, and sadly a few people have lost their lives including a 7 yr old girl which is plain tragic.

There as been more than a few inches dropped and some of the drifts are very high. One ambulance service had put a call out for 4wd owners to help ferry medical staff around.

Its said due to it being so cold the black ice will be treacherous so lets just keep fingers crossed no one else loses their life. Im not sure how true the reports are stating some areas may run out of Gas but i hope that is just hype as without heating many more people will suffer greatly, especially the elderly.

Cal x

• Like 2

On 23/10/2017 at 20:33, BacktoDemocracy said:

Well having made a closed statement and  set up anybody who disagrees with you for a good kicking I'll leave it up others to try and point out a more balanced view..

Britain has a pleasant climate from April to September and there are no doubt people who dislike warm weather but most Brits cite the weather in OZ as one of the attractions of living there. The only thing Australia lacks is decent central heating to make the winters bearable.

I don't suppose there are many people out in their convertibles this March in the UK!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Bristolman is one of those ex-migrants who hates Australia and would prefer it if every other "New Chum" became an "ex-migrant" and went home to hate Australia too!  Britain has a pleasant climate from April to September and there are no doubt people who dislike warm weather but most Brits cite the weather in OZ as one of the attractions of living there. The only thing Australia lacks is decent central heating to make the winters bearable.

I don't suppose there are many people out in their convertibles this March in the UK!

Given the usual Pom preoccupation with weather I always find it amusing that as many Poms migrate to Canada as they do to Australia and Canada is hardly a tropic island paradise! So it can’t just be about the weather. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, calNgary said:

It is far from funny for most of the UK with some areas on Amber or Red alerts. There have been muliple pile ups on various motorways across the country causing people to be stuck for hours, and sadly a few people have lost their lives including a 7 yr old girl which is plain tragic.

There as been more than a few inches dropped and some of the drifts are very high. One ambulance service had put a call out for 4wd owners to help ferry medical staff around.

Its said due to it being so cold the black ice will be treacherous so lets just keep fingers crossed no one else loses their life. Im not sure how true the reports are stating some areas may run out of Gas but i hope that is just hype as without heating many more people will suffer greatly, especially the elderly.

Cal x

....................  not being a people person, I worry more about the sheep in the snow drifts.  Farm animals do it tough in bad weather too - how many city people give a toss about them?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Given the usual Pom preoccupation with weather I always find it amusing that as many Poms migrate to Canada as they do to Australia and Canada is hardly a tropic island paradise! So it can’t just be about the weather. 

That could be true for some Quoll but in all fairness if someone who doesnt like heat and sun moves to Aus then they mustn't have done any reasearch and lived in a cave most of their life.

Cal x

• Like 2