The weather ?

bristolman

The incidence may be higher in Oz but mortality rates are higher in the UK because there is less early detection.   So you will still need to have sun protection.

I think people in the uk (I am generalising here of course), can be less aware of the dangers of the sun (uv) and do not get the necessary checks. Having had skin cancer I have to have checks every 3 months, and will continue with this when I get back to the uk - along with annual checks for the rest of the family... I find sheltering from the sun in qld impossible - it is so harsh.. even with tinted windows in the car for instance, you still get sun damage through the windows when you are driving...unless you permanently wear a physical barrier (I have uv sleeves) but not always practical when it is 38 degrees every day for days on end.
  • Like 1

I am amazed I got home last night. There was a lot of the drive I didn't think I would and that was on the M74! 

It was white out for a big chunk and only able to do 15mph with one lane just about open. The south bound was shut with a jack knifed lorry and others unable to get up an incline. 

Village is thick with snow and has been snowed in half the week. But, one of our neighbours has a tractor and been knocking on people's doors to see if they need anything from shops as he can get to town. 

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 15:03, bunbury61 said:

seriously in terms of golf ...you have to be kidding .

around here we have the belfry ,the Warwickshire , maxstoke and loads of championship standard courses .

I have at least 10 within a 10 mile radius .

our golf courses leave the ones I played in oz , miles behind ( and this isn't a u.k v oz reply ..i don't care )

The other thing is , generally they don't need 1000s of gallons of water to keep them alive ,and if you do happen to go in the rough ,you ain't worried what is in there .

iam sorry to interject on this post ...but I have played quite a few Aussie golf courses ..nowhere near as good ...genuinely .

I get what you say about the temp greens in winter though in the u.k ..but surely when it rains in Queensland it really rains ,and that must affect the courses

Still sounded out of my price range to play in the UK Bunbury. I wouldn't pay 600 quid.

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Still sounded out of my price range to play in the UK Bunbury. I wouldn't pay 600 quid.

that's bloody cheap ,if the course and facilities are good ....£15 a week ? ...roughly ....take out a couple a months of crap weather ...10 months 60 quid a month .....if you play 2 or 3 times a week ,as some of my mates do ,then its cheap .

they have got their children involved at £25 a year .....these kids are up there most days in the summer holidays ...safe environment .....8 holes of golf , lunch ,then back out there .

it also teaches them etiquette and behaviour , all round a good thing

well worth the money ,at double the price

• Like 2

On 18/01/2018 at 19:27, bunbury61 said:

no that would be a full membership - 7 days

Stratford oaks which is a nice little club is about £600 a year full membership .

the last one I was at was £1000 a year ...thats about average

Actually nearly £800 (checked online) which is still very good value.  No memberships came close to that in Surrey where I lived.  I just checked my old nearest club, West Byfleet, and they are one of the cheapest around at £1800pa.

My annual fee here at Redland Bay Golf Club in Queensland is $1300pa which compares well with Stratford Oaks and cheap compared with West Byfleet.  Redland Bay is just one of 3 excellent courses within 5 miles of where I currently live.  There were at least 6 within that radius where I lived in Surrey but then they have a larger more densely populated area to serve.

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Actually nearly £800 (checked online) which is still very good value.  No memberships came close to that in Surrey where I lived.  I just checked my old nearest club, West Byfleet, and they are one of the cheapest around at £1800pa.

My annual fee here at Redland Bay Golf Club in Queensland is $1300pa which compares well with Stratford Oaks and cheap compared with West Byfleet.  Redland Bay is just one of 3 excellent courses within 5 miles of where I currently live.  There were at least 6 within that radius where I lived in Surrey but then they have a larger more densely populated area to serve.

and the courses here are much better ...and as I said ,I have about 10 -20 to choose from .

I have 2 top quality courses within a stones throw

a no brainer for me

we can argue back and forth about other stuff , but the golf courses ...sorry ...the u.k wins hands down for me

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

and the courses here are much better ...and as I said ,I have about 10 -20 to choose from .

I have 2 top quality courses within a stones throw

a no brainer for me

we can argue back and forth about other stuff , but the golf courses ...sorry ...the u.k wins hands down for me

Well, I suppose they have tees, greens, trees, fairways, water hazards, bunkers etc which you don’t see here.......erm!

There are different standards of fairways, tees, greens etc here and there but essentially golf is a game where you hit a white ball with a stick from a tee into a hole negotiating various hazards along the way.  The game feels the same here as there (the rough is much shorter here admittedly ) though without needing to breathe on hands to aid blood circulation in the fingers half the year......and yes, I find any temperature under 18C a bit cold, sorry.

I have played golf here and there (not terribly well unfortunately).  There are undoubtedly more courses there and more golfers (more people full stop) but most golf club members play mainly on one course anyway to get value out of the membership fee.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 08:37, Skani said:

Don't be complacent about it just because you are in the UK.   This from  http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/SkinInformation/SkinCancer.aspx

The incidence may be higher in Oz but mortality rates are higher in the UK because there is less early detection.   So you will still need to have sun protection.

Just want to add to this:

Yes, skin cancer incidence in Australia is far higher than the UK with up to TWO in THREE Australians being diagnosed by age 70. More than 750,000 people each year in Australia are treated for non-melanoma cancer. This is up to 2-3 times higher than in the UK & USA. The rate is phenomenal. Much damage is actually caused before the age of 20.

In Australia around 2000+ people die each year from skin cancer. From just melanoma, it is expected that 1800 people will die in 2017. That is 5 people a day so in fact a HIGHER mortality rate than the UK adjusted for population; (given that UK has almost 2.7x population of Australia....a rate considered similar would be 2.6 people per day).

HOWEVER whether you are in the USA, UK or Australia, skin cancer is always the most common cancer, far outnumbering lung, prostate and breast cancers together! Remember this is because it covers ALL forms of skin cancer (BCCs, SCCs etc) and not just the lethal melanomas. Now, if we are JUST talking about melanomas then breast cancer cases alone outnumber it.

Yes, don't be complacent about it. Especially not in Australia or other high UV index countries (eg South America).

It is vital that anywhere in the world where you are exposed to the sun to wear protection to ensure prevention of premature skin aging and skin health is optimised.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, grizzly111 said:

mortality rate than the UK adjusted for population; (given that UK has almost 2.7x population of Australia....a rate considered similar would be 2.6 people per day).

When I said higher mortality rates in UK I should have clarified that I meant ...of those diagnosed the mortality rate is higher in the UK (not per capita of overall population).  

1 hour ago, Toots said:

There's flooding in the Scottish Borders area - rivers bursting their banks.

Should send some of the rain down to where Simmo lives as he says they badly need it.

yes ....heavy rain this morning ...I have crossed the Severn a couple of times this morning .....its high

There is quite a lot of water about here too.  I woke up in the night and it was absolutely tipping down, and this morning the snow has completely gone.  There are lots of flooded fields, and the river is almost spilling over.  

6 hours ago, LKC said:

There is quite a lot of water about here too.  I woke up in the night and it was absolutely tipping down, and this morning the snow has completely gone.  There are lots of flooded fields, and the river is almost spilling over.  

All my walks at work are now flooded.

This is officially a wet winter.