The weather ?

bristolman

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Is a sledge the same thing as a sled ?

Is sledge a pommy expression ?

My  Oxford English Dictionary says the earliest use of the word sledge in written English was  in 1617.  Sled was even earlier -  1586:   "now chiefly dialect and U.S."

Edited by Skani
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Is a sledge the same thing as a sled ?

Is sledge a pommy expression ?

Probably, since I'm British.  It'd be a bit odd if I used Aussie words in preference to British ones, having lived only one fifth of my life in Australia, no?

• Like 1

On 23/10/2017 at 20:34, starlight7 said:

Oh ,come on, the weather in the UK is dire most of the time.  The place has many, many good attributes but not the weather.  Never that. I guess it will be one of the few countries to benefit from global warming though.

Yeah right and the rest of Europe is Beautiful sunny weather all the time The weather is Not Dire most of the time..Just been talking to a Couple of Aussies that live in the Uk  In Nottingham. And are back for their fathers furneral here in Queensland. They say they love the seasonal weather in the UK. And the Life there is so Much to do. The Countryside is jaw dropping   And how do i stand this heat and Humidity?And it's so Baron and Ugly here in the Lockyer Valley.Why do the Poms Come here..There words.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zack said:

Yeah right and the rest of Europe is Beautiful sunny weather all the time The weather is Not Dire most of the time..Just been talking to a Couple of Aussies that live in the Uk  In Nottingham. And are back for their fathers furneral here in Queensland. They say they love the seasonal weather in the UK. And the Life there is so Much to do. The Countryside is jaw dropping   And how do i stand this heat and Humidity?And it's so Baron and Ugly here in the Lockyer Valley.Why do the Poms Come here..There words.

I dislike heat and humidity too Zack so Tasmania suits me to the ground.  You might like it here too.  It's 20C today with a strong breeze.  Tasmania isn't barren and ugly either.

I hope you find happiness and contentment once you make the move back to the UK.

40 minutes ago, Toots said:

I dislike heat and humidity too Zack so Tasmania suits me to the ground.  You might like it here too.  It's 20C today with a strong breeze.  Tasmania isn't barren and ugly either.

I hope you find happiness and contentment once you make the move back to the UK.

When we visited Tassie in January, hubby commented that if anyone missed the UK they should visit Tassie as it would remind them of it with some of the scenery and climate.  Reminded hubby of holidays in Wales.  I have to say, we really enjoyed our stay there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zack said:

I thought you lived in Tin Can Bay?