The weather ?

bristolman

This isn't aimed at anyone but a post did make me think about this a little. 

It's often said (mainly by expats) how awful the weather and how it rains literally all the time and it's always cold. Now of course there are those who will talk the country into the ground to make themselves fit in. We saw it with a friend who moved to Brisbane and one day at a BBQ at our place they were telling people all this stuff about the UK and I estimate 30% if it was in any way accurate. I digress slightly and as I said this isn't aimed at anyone it's just a comment got me thinking about this. The comment was basically that they are stuck inside for 7 months of the year, now that isn't even close to accurate for most people I would guess. My wife was talking about this the other day and said that really we have 2 months (January and February) that are pretty horrible because leading up to Christmas is usually pretty mild and then March starts to pick up again. We see everyone out doing what they do pretty much all year round, I'm not talking about essential stuff but out seemingly enjoying life. There really is no sign of people being locked in their houses for most of the year, just the opposite. 

Just imagine if someone said they lived in Brisbane and couldn't go outside for half the year because of the heat and humidity, they would be jumped on by everyone on the forum but if it is said about the UK it seems to be accepted as the truth. 

We have a convertible car that we drive a lot and 2 weekends ago was the first time we had to put the top up.

There just seems to be the need amongst the British to put their country down and some will seemingly agree with any criticism regardless of how outrageous or inaccurate. 

We live in a beautiful friendly country with to my mind an agreeable temperate climate, unless you live up in Scotland no one is locked away in their houses for months on end, get out and enjoy what we have available. ?

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bristolman said:

This isn't aimed at anyone but a post did make me think about this a little. 

It's often said (mainly by expats) how awful the weather and how it rains literally all the time and it's always cold. Now of course there are those who will talk the country into the ground to make themselves fit in. We saw it with a friend who moved to Brisbane and one day at a BBQ at our place they were telling people all this stuff about the UK and I estimate 30% if it was in any way accurate. I digress slightly and as I said this isn't aimed at anyone it's just a comment got me thinking about this. The comment was basically that they are stuck inside for 7 months of the year, now that isn't even close to accurate for most people I would guess. My wife was talking about this the other day and said that really we have 2 months (January and February) that are pretty horrible because leading up to Christmas is usually pretty mild and then March starts to pick up again. We see everyone out doing what they do pretty much all year round, I'm not talking about essential stuff but out seemingly enjoying life. There really is no sign of people being locked in their houses for most of the year, just the opposite. 

Just imagine if someone said they lived in Brisbane and couldn't go outside for half the year because of the heat and humidity, they would be jumped on by everyone on the forum but if it is said about the UK it seems to be accepted as the truth. 

We have a convertible car that we drive a lot and 2 weekends ago was the first time we had to put the top up.

There just seems to be the need amongst the British to put their country down and some will seemingly agree with any criticism regardless of how outrageous or inaccurate. 

We live in a beautiful friendly country with to my mind an agreeable temperate climate, unless you live up in Scotland no one is locked away in their houses for months on end, get out and enjoy what we have available. ?

Well having made a closed statement and  set up anybody who disagrees with you for a good kicking I'll leave it up others to try and point out a more balanced view..

2 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Oh ,come on, the weather in the UK is dire most of the time.  The place has many, many good attributes but not the weather.  Never that. I guess it will be one of the few countries to benefit from global warming though.

That's exactly my point, the weather is far from dire, not even close to dire. I'm not saying the weather is one of its positive attributes, I'm saying it's not close to as bad as some would say. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have to agree and I have said it many times before.

Even in Scotland it isn't anything like as bad as many make out. Yes, it is cooler and a bit wetter and we get snow. But the vast majority of the year it is fine and personally I don't mind the snow.

Summer just gone wasn't great in Scotland, but I was mainly working in England and had to constantly go to asda to buy sun screen for the drill crews. Last year summer was a scorcher. It is late autumn now and even in Scotland we are expecting some nice sunshine this week

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Have to agree and I have said it many times before.

Even in Scotland it isn't anything like as bad as many make out. Yes, it is cooler and a bit wetter and we get snow. But the vast majority of the year it is fine and personally I don't mind the snow.

Summer just gone wasn't great in Scotland, but I was mainly working in England and had to constantly go to asda to buy sun screen for the drill crews. Last year summer was a scorcher. It is late autumn now and even in Scotland we are expecting some nice sunshine this week

Yes exactly, the thing is it seems many actually believe it, they seem to talk themselves into it or something. I'm still in t-shirt and shorts, almost into November but yeah the weather's bollocks ?

.........it’s what you get used to..!

........I rarely wore a coat when I lived in the uk

........when I went for a holiday I felt the cold

.........26 in the uk I felt hot!

.........since living here it has to be 30

........our bodies acclimatise 

........though as we get older 

.........the extremes are harder ime...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tink said:

.........it’s what you get used to..!

........I rarely wore a coat when I lived in the uk

........when I went for a holiday I felt the cold

.........26 in the uk I felt hot!

.........since living here it has to be 30

........our bodies acclimatise 

........though as we get older 

.........the extremes are harder ime...

Well I tend to agree but I went from Brisbane to here and don't feel the cold unless it actually gets to freezing which is getting rarer year on year it would seem. Our boys took to this climate straight away and although like me they don't seem to feel the cold they also don't feel hot here on days it's high 20s so they have the best of both worlds lol

Yes exactly, the thing is it seems many actually believe it, they seem to talk themselves into it or something. I'm still in t-shirt and shorts, almost into November but yeah the weather's bollocks [emoji16]

How disappointing for you. You normally champion the definitive seasons in the UK and to be wearing shorts and t-shirts only a few weeks from winter must be extremely frustrating. Bet you can't wait to get the ol' hat, scarves and gloves out.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, jonnyraceway said:

How disappointing for you. You normally champion the definitive seasons in the UK and to be wearing shorts and t-shirts only a few weeks from winter must be extremely frustrating. Bet you can't wait to get the ol' hat, scarves and gloves out.

No, not disappointing in the slightest but I appreciate your concern. I do love autumn though, the trees all changing colour really does look beautiful. I don't actually own any hats and scarves, never felt the need for them really. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Oh ,come on, the weather in the UK is dire most of the time.  The place has many, many good attributes but not the weather.  Never that. I guess it will be one of the few countries to benefit from global warming though.

actually starlight , I tend to disagree .

30 years ago maybe , but we haven't had anything like a winter since 2010 .

last Xmas day evening , it was 12c

When it rains , it pisses down now , and the rain I, is well , almost warm .

the milder the winter ,the better for me , and I dont like 40c either ....anywhere between 15c 25c will do for me .

the weather has changed so much in the last 30years .

I wouldn't go as far as to say the u.k s weather is a positive now ( too many grey skies ) ...but it certainly isn't the bone chilling experience it once was

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, simmo said:

I don't know if i have said this before but as a bricklayer i was rained of more in Brisbane than I ever was in london.  Also never felt as cold as i did inside the houses.  But then .. I'm a southerner. ;)

i was in an empty house in telford in winter 2010 ( the last bad one )

icicles on the the inside of the windows -4c ....brrrrr?

I'd rather have four seasons thanks.  I can get out way more in the UK than I could in Australia and my skin won't turn to leather and be covered in cancers when I'm older.  As lots have also said I found I was way colder in Australia during the winter - our house got down to 13 degrees and it was insulated.  If the kids have such active outdoors lifestyles in Australia why is childhood obesity such a major problem over there ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I bought a lovely thick velour dressing gown last week. Put it on that evening and realised it was way too warm for a house with central heating, would have been perfect for the Sydney winter ?

well Scottie ,we are in the same part of the world , what is it this week ?----13-17c ...but have you noticed ...no days and days of high winds .....weeks and weeks of stillness now .

I remember going to school as a kid , this time of year , and the wind used to rip your face off ...and how cold was bonfire night ?

my local , people were stop outside the pub in t shirts last year in November

2 minutes ago, CJT said:

I'd rather have four seasons thanks.  I can get out way more in the UK than I could in Australia and my skin won't turn to leather and be covered in cancers when I'm older.  As lots have also said I found I was way colder in Australia during the winter - our house got down to 13 degrees and it was insulated.  If the kids have such active outdoors lifestyles in Australia why is childhood obesity such a major problem over there ?

i spoke to mom about this ...she told me ,the 4 seasons used to be very defined in the u.k ....iam here in the u.k , and that has gone now ......last October 31st ...24c on the golf course in brum ...no ice ...no snow .

but then again ...summer , a few stinking hot days , then crap , then crap , then stinking hot .

luckily it looked good for the olympics in 2012 and Wimbledon ( this year ) ?

2 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I bought a lovely thick velour dressing gown last week. Put it on that evening and realised it was way too warm for a house with central heating, would have been perfect for the Sydney winter ?

you may not need the dressing gown scottie ?...fingers crossed

p.s ...dont forget the German Xmas market in brum ....worcester is worth a visit as well ...and good old solihull ?

• Like 2

I was thinking about this whilst having my morning walk (in the drizzle), having read the other post this morning.  We didn't move either way for the weather, although it was something we thought about before we made the decision to move back (a small piece of a much bigger picture).  Some people (like us) find the heat and humidity draining.  We found that doing the things we like to do (walking/hiking, geocaching) far more difficult in the heat of summer in Australia than in the depths of winter in the UK.  Other people find the rain/cold/dark oppressive, and thrive in the heat and sun.  Rather than the weather being better in one place or the other, it is just different, and different people are differently suited to different types of weather.  We don't mind putting on warm and waterproof clothing and getting on with it, come rain, hail or shine and never feel shut in here.  Other people don't like to do that, so I can completely understand why they'd feel like they were permanently indoors for months in the winter.

The weather here (Scotland) has been pretty good since we moved back.  We have had some wet days, but it hasn't stopped us from going out.  I'm still doing my morning walk in just jogging bottoms, t-shirt and light, unpadded bodywarmer if it is dry, or a light waterproof jacket if it is wet, the temperatures here have been between 11 and 15 degrees most mornings, and although it was drizzly this morning (for example) it is still entirely possible to have a good walk out in the fresh air.  Having said that, we've not done a winter here yet, so I may well change my tune!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Nah! Not at all true. Last week was the first time in 6 years my husband actually cancelled an appointment because it was raining. He cycles everywhere and though he has got a bit wet once or twice riding home from the gym that’s about it. I’ve deferred my walk maybe half a dozen times in those 6 years because of the weather but a few of those times have been “threat” of the weather rather than actual weather. I’ve been caught in the rain a few times but nothing outstanding. We’ve had a nice summer, I haven’t needed a cardigan at all and even now I haven’t got my fleece out. 

The weather is great for walking, you can leave the house at 10am and not be baked by 10:15 so I am enjoying not having to have left the house by 6am for a 2 hour walk. We’ve had a few nights where it’s been too hot to sleep comfortably but nothing like a regular Aussie summer thank heavens - I haven’t needed to have a cold shower and sleep on the damp towel in the middle of the night yet.

I think the Poms just don’t have anything else to whinge about so they moan about the weather all the time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

well Scottie ,we are in the same part of the world , what is it this week ?----13-17c ...but have you noticed ...no days and days of high winds .....weeks and weeks of stillness now .

I remember going to school as a kid , this time of year , and the wind used to rip your face off ...and how cold was bonfire night ?

my local , people were stop outside the pub in t shirts last year in November

It was a wee bit windy when Ophelia blew through but you are right it's not cold which is just as well as my stuff including all my winter clothes is still in storage ☹