The weather ?

bristolman

Monday 11 December—Sunday 24 December
Remaining cold but for how long?

At this stage it does look as through the cold weather will persist during the middle part of December with only very small, slow moving changes in the weather pattern. There will continue to be sunny spells and scattered showers, the showers falling as snow on higher ground and possibly to lower levels as the heavier showers pass by. There will be widespread frosts at nights and also the risk of icy stretches. As we move into the second half of December, there is an increasing chance of seeing spells of colder weather with possible heavy falls of snow in northern areas. This will be as a result of further pulses of air pushing in from the North Atlantic.  However the overall signal from all the various weather computer models is for temperatures to remain on the cold side.

12 minutes ago, Perthbum said:
Monday 11 December—Sunday 24 December
Remaining cold but for how long?

At this stage it does look as through the cold weather will persist during the middle part of December with only very small, slow moving changes in the weather pattern. There will continue to be sunny spells and scattered showers, the showers falling as snow on higher ground and possibly to lower levels as the heavier showers pass by. There will be widespread frosts at nights and also the risk of icy stretches. As we move into the second half of December, there is an increasing chance of seeing spells of colder weather with possible heavy falls of snow in northern areas. This will be as a result of further pulses of air pushing in from the North Atlantic.  However the overall signal from all the various weather computer models is for temperatures to remain on the cold side.

fuckin hell its MICHAEL FISH ?

• Haha 3

I'd be surprised if the crops in your photo were spuds bunbury as they are usually planted in spring and harvested round about September/Oct   ..............  at least that's what it was like when I was on farms but due to a much milder climate perhaps they can now grown them in the winter.  Even 2nd cropping spuds were planted in August to be harvested 3 months later. 

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I'd be surprised if the crops in your photo were spuds bunbury as they are usually planted in spring and harvested round about September/Oct   ..............

Yes...and they are planted in rows with quite a distance between each row so that they can be "hilled up" around each plant as the spuds develop.  Also the tops die off before spuds are harvested - and no sign of that in the photo.   I think they are turnips/swedes....which grow in a much more "untidy" fashion than spuds and can be left in the ground well into winter.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skani said:

Yes...and they are planted in rows with quite a distance between each row so that they can be "hilled up" around each plant as the spuds develop.  Also the tops die off before spuds are harvested - and no sign of that in the photo.   I think they are turnips/swedes....which grow in a much more "untidy" fashion than spuds and can be left in the ground well into winter.

That would be more like it.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 06:06, Toots said:

I'd be surprised if the crops in your photo were spuds bunbury as they are usually planted in spring and harvested round about September/Oct   ..............  at least that's what it was like when I was on farms but due to a much milder climate perhaps they can now grown them in the winter.  Even 2nd cropping spuds were planted in August to be harvested 3 months later. 

I think they are toots ...no expert .....but I think the person I was with said they were

• Like 1

On 06/12/2017 at 06:19, bristolman said:

Very mild again today, it' a bit weird actually. 

I don't think it's weird bristolman.  Even 30 odd years ago I remember mild weather in December and of course - as we keep saying - it depends which area of the UK you are living in.  It was usually mild when staying in London with my sister then as you go north the weather gets noticeably chillier.  My sons when boys were in t-shirts in London it was so mild then at Mum's place they were muffled up as it was so much colder.  I have a photo of them sliding on a frozen pond at nearly 4 pm (and it's nearly dark) just a day after leaving London.

9 hours ago, Toots said:

I don't think it's weird bristolman.  Even 30 odd years ago I remember mild weather in December and of course - as we keep saying - it depends which area of the UK you are living in.  It was usually mild when staying in London with my sister then as you go north the weather gets noticeably chillier.  My sons when boys were in t-shirts in London it was so mild then at Mum's place they were muffled up as it was so much colder.  I have a photo of them sliding on a frozen pond at nearly 4 pm (and it's nearly dark) just a day after leaving London.

You don’t even have to go that far north.  We got in to Heathrow yesterday lunch time and the youngest, in shorts and short sleeved t-shirt, refused to put his jumper on.  Got to the first services on the M1 and there was a icy breeze blowing and even he felt the need for a jumper. No idea what the temp outside is like here this morning but it’s a bit wet.

3 minutes ago, NicF said:

You don’t even have to go that far north.  We got in to Heathrow yesterday lunch time and the youngest, in shorts and short sleeved t-shirt, refused to put his jumper on.  Got to the first services on the M1 and there was a icy breeze blowing and even he felt the need for a jumper. No idea what the temp outside is like here this morning but it’s a bit wet.

Yesterday was really mild this side of the country at least, today is as well but wet. 

4 minutes ago, NicF said:

yeah 12c

5 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Yesterday was really mild this side of the country at least, today is as well but wet. 

It was definitely mild in London but the services felt much colder with a very cold wind blowing.  I wouldn’t call today mild, but then as far as I’m concerned it’s mild at 20C.  The youngest is probably a better barometer so it will be interesting to see if the youngest needs a jumper today or not.