The weather ?

bristolman

7 hours ago, calNgary said:

Its snowing in the North so no clear blue skies there, a couple of friends have posted pics of their wood burners, they look so cosy, i love the wood burner when its cold.

Cal x

Yep. We have snow and it was snowing hard driving home last night as I went through Cumbria. M6 was almost white out around the Kendal turn off. Here we have about half an inch on the ground, but dawn is just about to break and there isn't a cloud in the sky. So should be one of those lovely winter mornings - snow and frost with bright sun and blue sky so going to take the dog here for a walk in the woods.https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/chatelherault-country-park-p252521 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Yep. We have snow and it was snowing hard driving home last night as I went through Cumbria. M6 was almost white out around the Kendal turn off. Here we have about half an inch on the ground, but dawn is just about to break and there isn't a cloud in the sky. So should be one of those lovely winter mornings - snow and frost with bright sun and blue sky so going to take the dog here for a walk in the woods.https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/chatelherault-country-park-p252521 

A friend sent this.  She lives in the Scottish borders.

snow.JPG

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:03, bristolman said:

lo This isn't aimed at anyone but a post did make me think about this a little. 

It's often said (mainly by expats) how awful the weather and how it rains literally all the time and it's always cold. Now of course there are those who will talk the country into the ground to make themselves fit in. We saw it with a friend who moved to Brisbane and one day at a BBQ at our place they were telling people all this stuff about the UK and I estimate 30% if it was in any way accurate. I digress slightly and as I said this isn't aimed at anyone it's just a comment got me thinking about this. The comment was basically that they are stuck inside for 7 months of the year, now that isn't even close to accurate for most people I would guess. My wife was talking about this the other day and said that really we have 2 months (January and February) that are pretty horrible because leading up to Christmas is usually pretty mild and then March starts to pick up again. We see everyone out doing what they do pretty much all year round, I'm not talking about essential stuff but out seemingly enjoying life. There really is no sign of people being locked in their houses for most of the year, just the opposite. 

Just imagine if someone said they lived in Brisbane and couldn't go outside for half the year because of the heat and humidity, they would be jumped on by everyone on the forum but if it is said about the UK it seems to be accepted as the truth. 

We have a convertible car that we drive a lot and 2 weekends ago was the first time we had to put the top up.

There just seems to be the need amongst the British to put their country down and some will seemingly agree with any criticism regardless of how outrageous or inaccurate. 

We live in a beautiful friendly country with to my mind an agreeable temperate climate, unless you live up in Scotland no one is locked away in their houses for months on end, get out and enjoy what we have available. ?

I have just been talking to a lady from a garden nursery in the w.mids .

she has to have accurate long range forecasts , due to plant ordering etc .

she has been told we are due in the u.k ...THE COLDEST JANUARY IN 27 YEARS ?

That's from accurate forecasting not the daily express ?

43 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Was it Piers  Corbyn. Generally those meteorological prognosticators get it right maybe once every couple of decades. Like the broken clock it’ll be right twice a day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

Was it Piers  Corbyn. Generally those meteorological prognosticators get it right maybe once every couple of decades. Like the broken clock it’ll be right twice a day

???....but I think this is from a legitimate meteorological source ....we shall see ...i hope not ...hate the cold and dark ?

6 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

We were told from 'accurate sources' that November was going to be a wetter than average month.  We didn't have rain for over 4 weeks.  :P

You have to be honest with yourselves if the weather was that good in the UK you wouldn't feel the need to post pictures of a blue sky when it occurs.

I spent about 35 years in the UK and from memory the weather was pretty crappy the majority of the time not all the time though there were nice days I remember them well everyone put photos of them up on social media :biggrin::cool:

Edited by Sandgroper
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

You have to be honest with yourselves if the weather was that good in the UK you wouldn't feel the need to post pictures of a blue sky when it occurs.

I spent about 35 years in the UK and from memory the weather was pretty crappy the majority of the time not all the time though there were nice days I remember them well everyone put photos of them up on social media :biggrin::cool:

I think the point is that so many days have beautiful clear blue skies that you don’t have to go and hunt for them, so many pics just happen to have the beautiful blue skies. It seems that the Pom psyche is that if you have a fabulous week but on one afternoon the clouds roll in then that is automatically labelled a “crap week” .  I’m looking at Canberra at the moment - there have been some ripped storms there this past few weeks  by the look of the radar app. And when it rains in Canberra it’s not the gentle Pommy mizzle, everything gets sodden. Good for the dams though, they must nearly be topping out now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

I think the point is that so many days have beautiful clear blue skies that you don’t have to go and hunt for them, so many pics just happen to have the beautiful blue skies. It seems that the Pom psyche is that if you have a fabulous week but on one afternoon the clouds roll in then that is automatically labelled a “crap week” .  I’m looking at Canberra at the moment - there have been some ripped storms there this past few weeks  by the look of the radar app. And when it rains in Canberra it’s not the gentle Pommy mizzle, everything gets sodden. Good for the dams though, they must nearly be topping out now.

Yes exactly right, it does seem to be the British way to complain about the weather the moment it turns bad. Its not as if we have terrible weather most of the time in this country. I quite literally put long trousers on for the first time since about March, we have a convertible and have had to put the roof up one time because of rain. We have a very agreeable temperate climate which for the most part is fine. Today is raining, not flooding rain that we used to experience in Brisbane of course. We didn't come here for the weather though, there were lots and lots of other reasons for it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

whatever makes you feel better ...if you like to envisage us all huddled together eating stale bread ,like a scene from " Oliver " you carry on .

the bottom line is the weather is improving markedly .....no days below zero , in 6 winters now in Solihull ...although that may change in January .

they have just had live broadcasts of Harrys engagement ,outside Kensington palace on sky news ..check the weather ,4 weeks from Xmas

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

whatever makes you feel better ...if you like to envisage us all huddled together eating stale bread ,like a scene from " Oliver " you carry on .

the bottom line is the weather is improving markedly .....no days below zero , in 6 winters now in Solihull ...although that may change in January .

they have just had live broadcasts of Harrys engagement ,outside Kensington palace on sky news ..check the weather ,4 weeks from Xmas

I have photos of my two sons taking in the Christmas lights in London a week before Christmas over 20 years ago and they are wearing jeans and t-shirts it was so mild.  Too mild for jackets or coats.

On 27/11/2017 at 13:47, bunbury61 said:

I'm sure some do see it like that and it possibly makes them feel warm and fuzzy. As you say we just don't get the horrible weather anymore.  

On 27/11/2017 at 13:47, bunbury61 said:

Solihull Temperature Yesterday

Maximum temperature yesterday: 5 °C (at 11:20)
Minimum temperature yesterday: 0 °C (at 23:50)
Average temperature yesterday: 3 °C

High & Low Weather Summary for the Past Week

Temperature Humidity Pressure
* Reported 15 Nov 18:20 — 30 Nov 18:50, Solihull. Weather by CustomWeather, © 2017
High 15 °C (22 Nov, 10:20) 100% (15 Nov, 18:50) 1030 mbar (15 Nov, 18:50)
Low -1 °C (17 Nov, 04:20) 53% (24 Nov, 13:20) 982 mbar (22 Nov, 22:50)
Average 7 °C 83% 1013 mbar
Edited by Perthbum

3 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

* Reported 15 Nov 18:20 — 30 Nov 18:50, Solihull. Weather by CustomWeather, © 2017

That's night temperature, not day temperature. 

4 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

An

and what is this referring to ? ...i was referring to the PREVIOUS 6 winters ...dec - Jan - Feb

winter starts December 1st

regardless of how this winter pans out we have had a fantastic MILD run recently