The weather ?

bristolman

10 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

the snow used to last 3 -4 months - maybe more in Scotland .

now its just bits and bobs ,a week here and there , more rain than snow I bet .

as I say ...nothing like it used to be

here's one for you toots - Bannockburn ...a floating Robert the bruce

Robert The Bruce statue appears to float above Bannockburn.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

the snow used to last 3 -4 months - maybe more in Scotland .

now its just bits and bobs ,a week here and there , more rain than snow I bet .

as I say ...nothing like it used to be

Where did snow last 3-4 months?  In my childhood in the 60s and 70s winters were definitely colder but even then appreciable snow was quite rare ( in the SE of England at least).  From the 80s on it was normal to go years without any snow worth mentioning (by which I mean snow which settled or lasted more than a few hours on the ground).

7 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Where did snow last 3-4 months?  In my childhood in the 60s and 70s winters were definitely colder but even then appreciable snow was quite rare ( in the SE of England at least).  From the 80s on it was normal to go years without any snow worth mentioning (by which I mean snow which settled or lasted more than a few hours on the ground).

I cant be arsed getting into a debate with you ...its just wasted time ....try looking at the records ...1963 and 79 for a start .

back when we had 4 defined seasons ...when 10c in mid January , in northern Scotland was unheard of .

scraping ice off your car from November - march was a regular occurrence.....not any more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

I cant be arsed getting into a debate with you ...its just wasted time ....try looking at the records ...1963 and 79 for a start .

back when we had 4 defined seasons ...when 10c in mid January , in northern Scotland was unheard of .

scraping ice off your car from November - march was a regular occurrence.....not any more

Yes it's undeniable, literally everyone is saying the same thing, winters are not anything like they used to be and while cold weather doesn't bother me at all milder is good. 

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

Yes it's undeniable, literally everyone is saying the same thing, winters are not anything like they used to be and while cold weather doesn't bother me at all milder is good. 

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

in fairness to goodbye grey sky .....he or she maybe a bit a bit younger ,and maybe from the south east ...it does make a difference .

in my humble opinion the tipping point was the 90s ....i came back to the u.k in the mid 90s .

our first Christmas drink out with the lads ...it was shirts and light jackets ....and i was thinking where is the 4 layers of clobber for a night out

lovely again today .....no , really it is

• Like 1

Just now, bunbury61 said:

in fairness to goodbye grey sky .....he or she maybe a bit a bit younger ,and maybe from the south east ...it does make a difference .

in my humble opinion the tipping point was the 90s ....i came back to the u.k in the mid 90s .

our first Christmas drink out with the lads ...it was shirts and light jackets ....and i was thinking where is the 4 layers of clobber for a night out

WP_20180128_10_08_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20180128_10_08_30_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

I don't think they are younger to be honest, not from what I have read. Maybe living in the SE made a difference but we lived in the SW and winters were very harsh back then, now it's a few weeks here and there. 

9 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

That's a beautiful photo, it looks like a painting. However, I remember having to trek to school in snow and biting cold wind and the romance disappears :|

I remember having to go on evening visits (for work)  and the streets hadn't been gritted.  More than once we were fearful that our car wouldn't stop as we slid slowly down a road.

4 minutes ago, bristolman said:

I don't think they are younger to be honest, not from what I have read. Maybe living in the SE made a difference but we lived in the SW and winters were very harsh back then, now it's a few weeks here and there. 

a few weeks ...it was a few days in all honesty

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Look, you know full well, we need Brexit, then we'll have snow and sub zero temps just like we had in 1947 and we won't have the immigrants to clear it!

S

5 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Look, you know full well, we need Brexit, then we'll have snow and sub zero temps just like we had in 1947 and we won't have the immigrants to clear it!

who cleared it in 1947 then ,you clown , before the immigrants started arriving in such numbers ?

13 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

The miners and the locals, I don't see the present crop of students getting out on a shovel do you , the same with the strawberry crop, eh. 

so are you implying that people of today are incapable or unwilling ? ...surely ,that goes against your left wing principles ...brothers and sisters and all that .

you see, occasionally people on the left show their contempt for their own people ..liking down their noses at the people that they apparently represent

2 / who used to pick the strawberries before mass e.u migration ?

could it possibly be ,that these people could have a 3 month visa to come and pick the strawberries , if the British public are too lazy or incapable ?

• Like 1