The weather ?

bristolman

22 minutes ago, bristolman said:

It's winter lol. I don't expect the weather to be great especially in February. 

No one said it wasnt winter did they ???  

and to be honest its no different to you or others discussing/ dissing the heat here in summer or the rain in wet season ,then is it? LOL

Cal x

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ayda said:

no snow yet here and not had to chip ice off car once yet this winter. Crossed road this morning and a car stopped with some ice around front windscreen - person crossing in opposite direction remarked where the car must have come from as we just don't see ice, which is exactly what i was thinking. Saying that it's still far too cold for my liking and we are due the white stuff tomorrow!

We have probably had more frosts this winter than the last 5 combined but still barely into double figures and a few days of snow. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

My in laws are over at the moment and have just spoken with hubbys sister back in our old home town, she said it is minus 4 and snowing !! The beast from the East (lol) as arrived.. I dont envy them at all and the in laws are hoping its gone and warmed up a bit before they go home. They did say there have been some nice days this year so far but its the lack of cinsisentcy that gets you down and i must admit that is what used to annoy me.

Cal x

The journalist Enda Brady is always doing a spot from the UK on my way home - he said lots of trains were cancelled in East Anglia  and parts of the UK had been hit badly with a severe weather warning for parts of Ireland.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ali said:

The journalist Enda Brady is always doing a spot from the UK on my way home - he said lots of trains were cancelled in East Anglia  and parts of the UK had been hit badly with a severe weather warning for parts of Ireland.

You should have rang in and asked him if he knew it was winter.. lol

Ive just been on Facebook and seen some of our friends pics and posts and it does look quite severe in some parts.  At least its not stopping anyone we know going about their daily business and getting to work although it may in the next few days if it gets worse, fingers crossed for them that it doesnt.

Cal x

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ali said:

Yes it's hit the East and SE of the country pretty hard. 

2 hours ago, calNgary said:

My in laws are over at the moment and have just spoken with hubbys sister back in our old home town, she said it is minus 4 and snowing !! The beast from the East (lol) as arrived.. I dont envy them at all and the in laws are hoping its gone and warmed up a bit before they go home. They did say there have been some nice days this year so far but its the lack of cinsisentcy that gets you down and i must admit that is what used to annoy me.

Cal x

Mine are over too they have just been showing us there facebook feeds getting a lot of snow where they are from and the schools are closed, crappy weather for the start of spring feel sorry for those stuck there! Not good.

• Haha 1

It quite often snows at this time of year, or at least it did.  My birthday is on the 27th Feb, and I can think of numerous times where it has snowed on or around my birthday, growing up in Birmingham.  

The Met Office has just issued a red weather warning for our bit of Scotland, so OH is on his way home.  It is too bad for the kids to play out in it, the wind is too strong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, LKC said:

It quite often snows at this time of year, or at least it did.  My birthday is on the 27th Feb, and I can think of numerous times where it has snowed on or around my birthday, growing up in Birmingham.  

The Met Office has just issued a red weather warning for our bit of Scotland, so OH is on his way home.  It is too bad for the kids to play out in it, the wind is too strong.

The thing is because it is so rare now it even makes news on the other side of the world. The sun is out here but it is very cold, probably the coldest day of the winter but getting milder by the weekend. Our boys school may close tomorrow if the forecast snow eventuate but not likely apparently. Only an amber warning for us so nothing to be concerned about. 

Edited by bristolman
  • Like 1

I love these two snippets from the BBC website:

• Police in Macclesfield said they arrested two suspected thieves after tracking their footprints through the snow
  •  
  • Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre in Gillingham, Kent, was forced to close because of the heavy snow

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, bristolman said:

The thing is because it is so rare now it even makes news on the other side of the world. The sun is out here but it is very cold, probably the coldest day of the winter but getting milder by the weekend. Our boys school may close tomorrow if the forecast snow eventuate but not likely apparently. Only an amber warning for us so nothing to be concerned about. 

Still out in shorts and tee shirt!?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

God I wish I lived in that land where the sun always shines and the hens lay golden eggs

Minus 5 here, wind chill of 7 and 125mm of snow with wind gusting at 10-15 kph, midday temp of 1.5C 

The really shocking story underpinning this weather event is the impact of climate change dragging otherwise Arctic air so far south and deflecting the jet stream.  The Polar region is a full 20C above average making sea ice recede in winter.  A relatively minor inconvenience for most Europeans is an ecological disaster for the Arctic.

Yet I am sure that there will be some who will cite this event and the recent even more extreme exents in North America as evidence that the planet is not warming up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LKC said:

I have a photo of me and three friends sunbathing in the garden on a Good Friday as it was lovely warm weather.  On Easter Monday the weather changed and there was 4 inches of snow.  This was near Windermere in the Lake District.  We were just used to the very changeable weather there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

The really shocking story underpinning this weather event is the impact of climate change dragging otherwise Arctic air so far south and deflecting the jet stream.  The Polar region is a full 20C above average making sea ice recede in winter.  A relatively minor inconvenience for most Europeans is an ecological disaster for the Arctic.

Yet I am sure that there will be some who will cite this event and the recent even more extreme exents in North America as evidence that the planet is not warming up.

Apart from homeless people everyone can keep warm.  I always feel very sorry for newborn lambs in the nasty weather.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LKC said:

That's the kind of weather I didn't like working out it.  My poor old Dad was out in it all day at times making sure the farm animals were OK.  

12 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Mine are over too they have just been showing us there facebook feeds getting a lot of snow where they are from and the schools are closed, crappy weather for the start of spring feel sorry for those stuck there! Not good.

my parents just went back. from the messages they sent they dont seem very happy to be back home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know that this is probably a very unpopular position to occupy, but I feel a bit envious of the UK being blanketed in snow! My Facebook and Instagram feeds are full of photos from family and friends back home of them enjoying a 'snow-day' (kids off school due to the weather) or of various city snow-scapes and it looks beautiful!

I wish that we got snow in Melbourne, the CBD, Flinders Street Station and the Botanical Gardens would look awesome under a bit of snow I reckon! :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I know that this is probably a very unpopular position to occupy, but I feel a bit envious of the UK being blanketed in snow! My Facebook and Instagram feeds are full of photos from family and friends back home of them enjoying a 'snow-day' (kids off school due to the weather) or of various city snow-scapes and it looks beautiful!

I wish that we got snow in Melbourne, the CBD, Flinders Street Station and the Botanical Gardens would look awesome under a bit of snow I reckon! :)

Apparently snow fell in Melbourne in 1951 and 1986.  :cute:

I've never been a lover of snow and have no interest in going to the snowy areas of Tasmania in the winter.  We get flurries here in Devonport but it never lies.  Thank goodness.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

God I wish I lived in that land where the sun always shines and the hens lay golden eggs

About 14 miles from Hereford, I do believe.  Just drive around long enough - with the top down, naturally ;) - and you are sure to find it.  :biggrin:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Toots said:

...............  and Scotland.  There is a red alert for some areas there.  :S

Yep, we're right in the middle of the red area.  OH came home early yesterday, it took some of his work colleagues three or more hours to get home, but thankfully it only took him an hour (usually takes 30 minutes).  We've had a whomping overnight, and this morning have no water.  The pipes inside the house seem okay, but the pipe to the house appears to be frozen somewhere.  It's a new house (new build), so we'll phone the builder in a bit and hopefully it'll be sorted out.   Kids are off school again today, and OH will have to stay home from work depending on the plumbing situation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LKC said:

Yep, we're right in the middle of the red area.  OH came home early yesterday, it took some of his work colleagues three or more hours to get home, but thankfully it only took him an hour (usually takes 30 minutes).  We've had a whomping overnight, and this morning have no water.  The pipes inside the house seem okay, but the pipe to the house appears to be frozen somewhere.  It's a new house (new build), so we'll phone the builder in a bit and hopefully it'll be sorted out.   Kids are off school again today, and OH will have to stay home from work depending on the plumbing situation.

Stay warm and safe.  :)

My sister in Edinburgh says it's really cold and snowy.