The weather ?

bristolman

1 minute ago, calNgary said:

That could be true for some Quoll but in all fairness if someone who doesnt like heat and sun moves to Aus then they mustn't have done any reasearch and lived in a cave most of their life.

Cal x

They'd probably moan and whinge no matter where they moved to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

....................  not being a people person, I worry more about the sheep in the snow drifts.  Farm animals do it tough in bad weather too - how many city people give a toss about them?

as a nation of animal lovers, i should imagine most "give a toss" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Britain has a pleasant climate from April to September and there are no doubt people who dislike warm weather but most Brits cite the weather in OZ as one of the attractions of living there. The only thing Australia lacks is decent central heating to make the winters bearable.

I don't suppose there are many people out in their convertibles this March in the UK!

They have the roof down year round if you believe some of the BS posted on here, t shirt and shorts to xD

15 hours ago, bristolman said:

Not funny, just not cataclysmic :)

You should get onto the met office for issuing red and amber alerts when it clearly isn’t that bad, whilst your at get the BBC and the rest of the media to stop reporting that people have been stranded for hours on motorways , thousands of flights have been cancelled and all the other lies being spread.

I need some of those rose tinted glasses you wear :cool:

Edited by Sandgroper
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Britain has a pleasant climate from April to September and there are no doubt people who dislike warm weather but most Brits cite the weather in OZ as one of the attractions of living there. The only thing Australia lacks is decent central heating to make the winters bearable.

I don't suppose there are many people out in their convertibles this March in the UK!

Well we were out in our convertible in February so March shouldn't be any problem at all. It was actually lovely in the sunshine. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

Given the usual Pom preoccupation with weather I always find it amusing that as many Poms migrate to Canada as they do to Australia and Canada is hardly a tropic island paradise! So it can’t just be about the weather. 

I find Aussies even more preoccupied with UK weather than Brits are lol. Yes Brits migrate all round the world for all sorts of reasons and no doubt the weather could be one of the reasons for some. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

That could be true for some Quoll but in all fairness if someone who doesnt like heat and sun moves to Aus then they mustn't have done any reasearch and lived in a cave most of their life.

Cal x

Can’t think there would be too many cave dwellers, other than, perhaps those with the mistaken belief that it’ll be like going to Marbella for holidays and they all love their sun, sea and sand holidays. Living in it is a whole other ballgame. I will admit it’s the sweaty nights that do for me, worse than not being able to sleep because it’s too cold - last year on my holiday back I had a couple of cold midnight showers and got to sleep on the damp towel. The DH has made a huge (monster!) concession and said we can get aircon when we move back! I will still have to leave the house before 6 to get a decent Walk in but air con will (if we can afford to run it) make things a bit more bearable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

They have the roof down year round if you believe some of the BS posted on here, t shirt and shorts to xD

I did see a bloke cycling in his shorts in the snow the other day as I walked into town. His knees were a becoming shade of pinky purple. My DH decided that at his age and with his responsibilities he would drive to the gym this week but I could tell he was busting to be out there cycling in it (in his shorts as he does all year round).

I did also actually see a bloke last week when there were only a few flakes with his hood down - thought he was being a bit of a poseur actually. Bet he stopped somewhere out of sight to put the hood up after he’d got out of town.

Ive had good use of my thermals and handknits this week!

3 minutes ago, Quoll said:

I did see a bloke cycling in his shorts in the snow the other day as I walked into town. His knees were a becoming shade of pinky purple. My DH decided that at his age and with his responsibilities he would drive to the gym this week but I could tell he was busting to be out there cycling in it (in his shorts as he does all year round).

I did also actually see a bloke last week when there were only a few flakes with his hood down - thought he was being a bit of a poseur actually. Bet he stopped somewhere out of sight to put the hood up after he’d got out of town.

Yeah I'm not sure we would put the top down with snow in the air lol. It's only rain that makes us put the top up and that's only happened twice even with our crappy weather ;)

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

I have a winter cycling jacket and use long thermals on me legs when out in the winter.

It's not the cold that keeps me indoors.

It's the ice. Bikes don't like ice.

1 minute ago, newjez said:

I have a winter cycling jacket and use long thermals on me legs when out in the winter.

It's not the cold that keeps me indoors.

It's the ice. Bikes don't like ice.

Well thankfully you wouldn't be kept indoors often judging by the amount of icy days we get now. 

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Most cyclists in the UK are quite hardy they need to be with the weather.

Most people I've encountered that own a car that the roof comes down on have been twits with an a, a serious case of look at me!

• Haha 1

Looks like things are finally looking up for you all enduring that crappy UK weather a whole 7c today, get the roof down and shorts on B|

Met Office forecasters said temperatures could climb to as high as 7C for parts of Wales and the South West on Saturday, with rain replacing the snow that has blighted Britain for much of the past week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-forecast-latest-snow-storm-emma-updates-cold-temperature-live-a8237946.html

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Looks like things are finally looking up for you all enduring that crappy UK weather a whole 7c today, get the roof down and shorts on B|

Met Office forecasters said temperatures could climb to as high as 7C for parts of Wales and the South West on Saturday, with rain replacing the snow that has blighted Britain for much of the past week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-forecast-latest-snow-storm-emma-updates-cold-temperature-live-a8237946.html

the last few days have been just like the winters of old ... As you know not a fan.

the Scandinavians have really been taking the piss .. " all this" beast from the east "

stuff .

seeing all the bad driving ....broken down vehicles has give them a real laugh ,at our usual lack of preparation for snow .....they have 6 months of this a year.

my sibling is over in holiday from oz , moaning about driving standards from the young ,in the snow .

I had to point out , a 25 yr old , passing his or her test at age 18 , may never have driven in snow ....think about that .

its a temporary slowing of the jet stream ....hopefully it is temporary

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

the last few days have been just like the winters of old ... As you know not a fan.

the Scandinavians have really been taking the piss .. " all this" beast from the east "

stuff .

seeing all the bad driving ....broken down vehicles has give them a real laugh ,at our usual lack of preparation for snow .....they have 6 months of this a year.

my sibling is over in holiday from oz , moaning about driving standards from the young ,in the snow .

I had to point out , a 25 yr old , passing his or her test at age 18 , may never have driven in snow ....think about that .

Its understandable that we lack preparation, we hardly get any lol. Exactly a 25 year old driver would never have driven in the snow, that's how often we get more than a cup full :)

4 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

stuff .

its one those weekends ....no driving ....premiership football ..live boxing tonight on sky ....chinese, few beers ....i ain't going anywhre.....hive heating is set at 21c....that will do me ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

its one those weekends ....no driving ....premiership football ..live boxing tonight on sky ....chinese, few beers ....i ain't going anywhre.....hive heating is set at 21c....that will do me ?

Was just talking to my brother in law in Hertford.  He's doing much the same.  He's  recently retired so he doesn't really care how bad the weather is as he doesn't have to get a train or drive anywhere if he doesn't need to and his fridge and freezer are fully stocked.  Had a bit of a laugh with him because my team (Liverpool) gave his team (West Ham) a bit of a flogging last week.  

• Like 2

Just now, Toots said:

Was just talking to my brother in law in Hertford.  He's doing much the same.  He's  recently retired so he doesn't really care how bad the weather is as he doesn't have to get a train or drive anywhere if he doesn't need to and his fridge and freezer are fully stocked.  Had a bit of a laugh with him because my team (Liverpool) gave his team (West Ham) a bit of a flogging last week.  

Let's face it a few days of not being able to travel is no big deal in the scheme of things, a few days every 5 years, I can live with that lol

7 minutes ago, Toots said:

he's a great manager klopp ....but guardiolas man city are something else.

man city have only lost to liverpool in the league ...BUT they have struggled big time against championship teams in the cups ...bristol city , wolves and Wigan have shown no fear .

its a big thumbs up for teams of young British and Irish players....loanees and rejects ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

he's a great manager klopp ....but guardiolas man city are something else.

man city have only lost to liverpool in the league ...BUT they have struggled big time against championship teams in the cups ...bristol city , wolves and Wigan have shown no fear .

its a big thumbs up for teams of young British and Irish players....loanees and rejects ?

Nothing to do with guardiolas, Toots could mange city at the moment and they would still be flying ?