Guest guest36187

1 minute ago, LesleyT said:

Thanks for that Tulip1. So maybe by Christmas for me then. 

The wait is worth it.  It’s a wonderful feeling knowing I have PR.  My mind is full of deciding if I can retire very soon so that I can make the move.  I’m trying to balance sensible with want at the moment.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/07/2023 at 17:34, Alan Collett said:

Back from annual leave!

No changes have been announced re parent visas in my absence, so far as I am aware.

Best regards.

Hello Alan,

My husband and I applied for our 143 visas nearly 6 years ago. We met with a migration agent last week and he advised that IMMI has stopped processing all aged parent applications due to the current shortage of aged care home workers. He confirmed that this also applies to the 143 visa even although it’s not an aged parent visa.

As you can imagine we’re extremely shocked at this news and can’t find any verification of this information. 

Have you or anyone else heard anything about this?

2 hours ago, DawnySkiddy said:

Hello Alan,

My husband and I applied for our 143 visas nearly 6 years ago. We met with a migration agent last week and he advised that IMMI has stopped processing all aged parent applications due to the current shortage of aged care home workers. He confirmed that this also applies to the 143 visa even although it’s not an aged parent visa.

As you can imagine we’re extremely shocked at this news and can’t find any verification of this information. 

That's an interesting perspective.

Is this an opinion by the other agent, or is the comment based on fact?

In any event we are seeing subclass 143 visas being granted - two in the last couple of weeks.

Best regards.

3 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

That's an interesting perspective.

Is this an opinion by the other agent, or is the comment based on fact?

In any event we are seeing subclass 143 visas being granted - two in the last couple of weeks.

Best regards.

It was put to us as fact by the agent (registered as an agent with IMMI) but nothing to back it up and no evidence elsewhere that this is the case.
That’s great news they are still being granted!! We thought it didn’t really make sense as 143 isn’t an aged visa!

Thanks for responding so quickly! 

1 hour ago, DawnySkiddy said:

We thought it didn’t really make sense as 143 isn’t an aged visa!

Well it does, because the 143 is a permanent visa, so once you get the visa, you are going to move to Australia, grow old here and eventually die here.  So you will be accessing pensions and aged care.  

39 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Well it does, because the 143 is a permanent visa, so once you get the visa, you are going to move to Australia, grow old here and eventually die here.  So you will be accessing pensions and aged care.  

So far as I know access to aged care in Australia isn't visa specific - you can access aged care as the holder of a Bridging Visa - so I question the basis of the contention of the other agent.

Best regards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DawnySkiddy said:

Hello Alan,

Well it’s certainly not going to help Australia even if they don’t actually process aged parent applications - there’s thousands already there on bridging visas and immi are still issuing bridging visas to new applicants!! As @Alan Collett said Aged parents can still access aged care even on bridging visas. All that’s likely to do is encourage more to change to 804 and get a bridging visa because even if it’s never granted they are onshore with their families and certain applicants get Reciprocal Health care anyway if from one of 11 countries, which includes UK 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

So far as I know access to aged care in Australia isn't visa specific - you can access aged care as the holder of a Bridging Visa -

I don't think it 's true but I don't find the idea implausible at all.   Immigration seems to make decisions about permanent parent visas as if the bridging visa option doesn't exist.  

12 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

So far as I know access to aged care in Australia isn't visa specific - you can access aged care as the holder of a Bridging Visa - so I question the basis of the contention of the other agent.

Best regards.

It’s based on income and care needs. If you have the care needs you will get approval and then they look at your income as to how much you have to pay towards said care. 👍

3 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

It’s based on income and care needs. If you have the care needs you will get approval and then they look at your income as to how much you have to pay towards said care. 👍

As I posted before we are going through the assessment system, to stay in our home, as we had a wake up call when we both had a health problem at the same time.

first a referral was sent to our Dr, and ACAT from the hospital. Nearly 3 months later, my husband had a very thorough ACAT assessment, report sent to GP. Assessed for level 1 care, we have applied to one of the companies who provide the care and package you are eligible for, but it might end up not financially worth taking the package on level one, we are waiting to hear when we can go on their list, and don’t knowhow long that might be, or if we still have to go to Centrelink as well.

I’ll post when I know and understand more how the system works, as it all takes time .

My husband is also eligible for a short package for home physio, and to have our house assessed for what future aids we might need to stay in our home,  Not sure how long it will be before this happens. 

i have no idea if you don’t have PR/citizenship what help you are entitled to? As Although it was my husband’s assessment, the fact that I have a few health problems was relevant, so if any parent is needing help, but  is actually living with their children, might not be eligible? Plus not sure if the 10 year Assurance of Support bond affects anything, as this didn’t apply on our visa.

We are both fine luckily  don’t need to do more for hopefully a long time, but it makes sense to find out exactly what you are eligible for, before you really need it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ramot said:

As I posted before we are going through the assessment system, to stay in our home, as we had a wake up call when we both had a health problem at the same time.

first a referral was sent to our Dr, and ACAT from the hospital. Nearly 3 months later, my husband had a very thorough ACAT assessment, report sent to GP. Assessed for level 1 care, we have applied to one of the companies who provide the care and package you are eligible for, but it might end up not financially worth taking the package on level one, we are waiting to hear when we can go on their list, and don’t knowhow long that might be, or if we still have to go to Centrelink as well.

I’ll post when I know and understand more how the system works, as it all takes time .

My husband is also eligible for a short package for home physio, and to have our house assessed for what future aids we might need to stay in our home,  Not sure how long it will be before this happens. 

i have no idea if you don’t have PR/citizenship what help you are entitled to? As Although it was my husband’s assessment, the fact that I have a few health problems was relevant, so if any parent is needing help, but  is actually living with their children, might not be eligible? Plus not sure if the 10 year Assurance of Support bond affects anything, as this didn’t apply on our visa.

We are both fine luckily  don’t need to do more for hopefully a long time, but it makes sense to find out exactly what you are eligible for, before you really need it.

Yes, level 1 is rarely financially viable. Lots of people got more than that offered from the council services, for free. 🙄

Care homes look at assets as well as income. It’s eye wateringly expensive.

Obviously, things might have changed since I was there.

ACAT don’t consider visa status, it’s care needs only and My Aged Care base patient contribution on income.

Immigration deal with visa status. I assume if someone became that unwell they would apply for one of the medical visas that exist. 🤷‍♂️

Glad you have things sorted @ramot, short term restorative care was always quite good, so 🤞 that hasn’t changed. Carers are part of the assessment and shouldn’t effect the level of care offered, but can help inform how the package money is spent as it is unlikely to cover everything you might need. The package should support patient and carer. Home care is far cheaper than a facility for the government, so they should be looking at sustaining that as long as possible.

The government payments that effect the assurance of support were really obscure when I did mine (long time ago now). Certainly didn’t include aged care services. Things like widows payment or something, I thought it an odd list.

I think sometimes we as the voting public assume policies should make sense and they just don’t. I’m sure some government minister some where could explain their decisions………

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

Subclass 864 visa grant today ... lodged Feb 2017.

Hope this gives comfort to all on this thread!

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info  

I (like many) am not sure what is going on at present. Social  media shows some parents still waiting on December 2016 applications whereas some have reported getting grants for May 2017! One well known agent has said their company has actually received requests for further docs for June 2017 applicants 

Given that’s it’s a new financial year there’s usually a flurry of grants at this time - yet it’s very quiet. We know immi can work quickly given how many they got through since the numbers were increased late last year. I know that the govt has said they will announce changes “later this year” after the recent review.  

It doesn’t look or sound very promising so far, especially since  there’s been no mention of any increase in the quota. 

I would appreciate your thoughts on this thanks 

42 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info  

I (like many) am not sure what is going on at present. Social  media shows some parents still waiting on December 2016 applications whereas some have reported getting grants for May 2017! One well known agent has said their company has actually received requests for further docs for June 2017 applicants 

Given that’s it’s a new financial year there’s usually a flurry of grants at this time - yet it’s very quiet. We know immi can work quickly given how many they got through since the numbers were increased late last year. I know that the govt has said they will announce changes “later this year” after the recent review.  

It doesn’t look or sound very promising so far, especially since  there’s been no mention of any increase in the quota. 

I would appreciate your thoughts on this thanks 

Hi Linda.

I recommend you don't get your information from social media - it's notoriously unreliable (at best, IMHO).

The parent visa program for the current program year remains at 8,500 - the same as for 202/23:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what-we-do/migration-program-planning-levels

Best regards.

8 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Subclass 864 visa grant today ... lodged Feb 2017.

Hope this gives comfort to all on this thread!

Best regards.

My AoS was accepted on 29 June so I’m just waiting for the next contact,  but not expecting it any time soon. 

11 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Hi Linda.

I recommend you don't get your information from social media - it's notoriously unreliable (at best, IMHO).

The parent visa program for the current program year remains at 8,500 - the same as for 202/23:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what-we-do/migration-program-planning-levels

Best regards.

I totally concur with Alan's advice.  Feeling very fortunate to at last have our lodged March 2017 143 visa granted a week or so ago - with great help and support from Alan and his team - but I have also found social media posts on other platforms frustrating and misleading at times over the past few months and not to mention very stressful when it appeared others lodged way behind us were receiving grants or being asked for further info.  I followed the groups just to get an overall idea of what might be going on and if there was any progression - it didn't often help!  I can totally understand Linda's frustration having just been through it!  The only social media group I have remained on is this one.  Wishing good luck to all those still waiting for their grants - especially those who lodged in May/June 2017 with the huge numbers involved.  I know it has been said many times, and sounds easy to say, but your day will come don't lose heart! Thank you Alan as ever for your advice and support to all.

I follow several groups on social media for people migrating & ping-ponging, and must say that my main reason for doing so is to correct some of the horrendously wrong onformation posted about visas, passports, citizenship etc.

People seem to take the word of random strangers as gospel without ever checking official sources, and I would treat with extreme caution any visa information gleaned from social media.

The most stunning one I saw recently was someone advising the parent of a 14 year old that if they sent the child over on a tourist visa, & put them into an Aussie school, then the child would be considered a PR and the parent could get a PR parent visa at once.

• Like 3

Hello,

If an applicant has an eye condition that the MoC considers expensive, what would be the best way to go forward? Will the case officer allow an extra time for treatment or is there any way to pursue the health waiver? We'd be really appreciated to hear your experiences/suggestions.

Also, I'm trying to look up George Lombard's contact, but he seems to have moved to another company. Is he still providing services for parents visa?

Thanks very much!

Hi I found this article with a link to the independent report on family visas. It’s not very encouraging. 

https://theconversation.com/parents-may-wait-up-to-40-years-to-join-family-in-australia-is-a-visa-lottery-the-answer-210631

i noticed that there is no mention about parents who may wish to work under the 143 visa! The longer they take to process the visa the less likely it is that we’ll be able to or want to work. Having applied for the 143 in my early 50’s I could have had at least  10 years of working (until UK state pension age) and paying taxes. We are currently living a regional town (on an 870 visa) and there are so many job vacancies but we can’t work! So frustrating. 

Edited by DawnySkiddy
Added more information

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Came across this in a facebk group today, and I don't think its been posted before. Not saying I agree or disagree with it, but it is an interesting read. 

https://www.themandarin.com.au/226683-abolish-permanent-parent-migration-in-the-name-of-compassion/?fbclid=IwAR1r1xa1plxWX3lgH456_4PkocobpOkokjzVLKFXf53e0yBwZPXzkARDFd8

I agree with the idea.  Perhaps not total, permanent abolition, but they should stop accepting any new applications until the current queue is completely cleared.  New Zealand did it, why can't Australia?  Accepting new applications is just cruel to everyone involved due to the ridiculous waiting times. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I agree with the idea.  Perhaps not total, permanent abolition, but they should stop accepting any new applications until the current queue is completely cleared.  New Zealand did it, why can't Australia?  Accepting new applications is just cruel to everyone involved due to the ridiculous waiting times. 

The parent visa has become almost unsustainable, and I agree  cruel, , when the reality of the wait for the visa is revealed. The minute there is a rumour of new applications on hold or worse, there will be a stampede of panic applications. The acceptance of so many visa applications, should never have been allowed to get so out of control, but then think how much money the government is sitting on from the non refundable visa application fees!!!! 

Having had a family member on the receiving end of a retrospective visa change to the student visa, the emotional side of the reality of ‘how can a government do this’ led sadly  to some suicides. In the case of the parent visa, the applicants are so much older, and should they have the hope of joining their families taken away from them,  there could be some sad reactions and out comes.

Just think it’s unforgivable that something wasn’t done when  the panic for applying for the parent visa started in 2017? sparked by the concerns over visa changes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ramot said:

The parent visa has become almost unsustainable, and I agree  cruel, , when the reality of the wait for the visa is revealed. The minute there is a rumour of new applications on hold or worse, there will be a stampede of panic applications. The acceptance of so many visa applications, should never have been allowed to get so out of control, but then think how much money the government is sitting on from the non refundable visa application fees!!!! 

Having had a family member on the receiving end of a retrospective visa change to the student visa, the emotional side of the reality of ‘how can a government do this’ led sadly  to some suicides. In the case of the parent visa, the applicants are so much older, and should they have the hope of joining their families taken away from them,  there could be some sad reactions and out comes.

Just think it’s unforgivable that something wasn’t done when  the panic for applying for the parent visa started in 2017? sparked by the concerns over visa changes.

This seems a big beatup to me. Are we really expected to believe parents will commit suicide because they are so upset they can't come to Australia.

Their children don't care enough about their parents to move back to the UK though and be with them.