Guest guest36187

33 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I do agree with you especially with this new review. 804 is subject to  any changes  in immigration law and parents will have to pass  the Medical in another 3 years just to be put  in queue! 

But then no one has a crystal ball to send into the future - I didn’t think that being told 18-24 months would turn into me still waiting nearly 6 years later!! 

@Tulip1 have you received your visa  yet - I remember you saying you had been asked for  further docs?

No, still waiting.  Everything submitted in December.  It’s very frustrating as my lodgement date was Feb 2017 and many March applicants have already been granted their visas.  My application is straightforward and medicals/police checks all perfect.  My agent has sent a chasing email, it’s just a case of waiting.  

Edited by Tulip1

On 01/05/2023 at 19:20, Tulip1 said:

Did you not consider keeping in the 143 queue and staying onshore on a 870 while waiting.  You might at this stage still have had about another six years to go if you’d have hung in there but getting PR in six years time sounds much better than never getting PR, especially as there’s options to be onshore while waiting.  

We did consider that, but another $20k on top of $100k put us off. Not to mention the need to leave after 5 years - we needed to sell in the uk to live in Australia, so would have had no where to go. 

On 28/04/2023 at 02:54, LindaH27 said:

There could be changes ahead with the release of the latest visa review. Govt consider there are too many people  on “permanent temporary visas” ( bridging visas?) and older parents cost too much so it’s possible some  visas will be revoked/changed  

Hi @LindaH27,

Do you know or have any info if someone is one 804 bridging already can the govt change rules to affect them as well? or will it be for anyone who applies after the new rule/legislation gets passed?

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Anks said:

Do you know or have any info if someone is one 804 bridging already can the govt change rules to affect them as well? or will it be for anyone who applies after the new rule/legislation gets passed?

Who knows?  On the one hand, it seems unlikely they'd make legislation retrospective.  On the other hand, I seem to recall @ramot had some experience with a visa being deleted while a family member was in a queue, so it seems like it does happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Who knows?  On the one hand, it seems unlikely they'd make legislation retrospective.  On the other hand, I seem to recall @ramot had some experience with a visa being deleted while a family member was in a queue, so it seems like it does happen.

Yes I remember that too. .I think it was a student visa? Also on social media one person said they’d migrated on a skilled  visa a few years ago but just before they did there were some skilled work applicants who were waiting offshore who had their applications cancelled and money refunded. I think it was when they introduced a points system? I have no knowledge of skilled work visas so can’t comment.. Also on social media a well known agent (not Alan C!) stated some time ago that 804 is subject to changes in immigration law as it’s a temporary visa and also  Reciprocal health care is an agreement only not a law. 

Nobody apart  from the govt know what steps they will take but by announcing what the review says then saying they will deal with it later does  raise peoples concerns. However given there’s ten of thousands of parents  already on bridging visa it would be very difficult to say they all had to leave! But I do wonder if they would stop new applicants for 804 and/or  remove the RHCA from existing ones given the main concern is the costs of older parents as they age. This could have an effect as private health insurance could prove expensive for older people with pre existing problems which are more likely as they age. I believe @ramot mentioned that as well. 

However  we are all second guessing what will happen and are all concerned. All parent visa applicants could be affected not just 804. People waiting offshore for 143 for many years are also worried. Possibly there may be some clues in the upcoming budget?  

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes I remember that too. .I think it was a student visa? Also on social media one person said they’d migrated on a skilled  visa a few years ago but just before they did there were some skilled work applicants who were waiting offshore who had their applications cancelled and money refunded. I think it was when they introduced a points system? I have no knowledge of skilled work visas so can’t comment.. Also on social media a well known agent (not Alan C!) stated some time ago that 804 is subject to changes in immigration law as it’s a temporary visa and also  Reciprocal health care is an agreement only not a law. 

Nobody apart  from the govt know what steps they will take but by announcing what the review says then saying they will deal with it later does  raise peoples concerns. However given there’s ten of thousands of parents  already on bridging visa it would be very difficult to say they all had to leave! But I do wonder if they would stop new applicants for 804 and/or  remove the RHCA from existing ones given the main concern is the costs of older parents as they age. This could have an effect as private health insurance could prove expensive for older people with pre existing problems which are more likely as they age. I believe @ramot mentioned that as well. 

However  we are all second guessing what will happen and are all concerned. All parent visa applicants could be affected not just 804. People waiting offshore for 143 for many years are also worried. Possibly there may be some clues in the upcoming budget?  

2 different situations affected us,  

Son was on a student visa and there were 2 retrospective changes made to the visa conditions by the then Labor immigration minister. It was a long time ago, the 2nd was the worst one, and I can’t remember the details, except my son had lodged his application for PR, which up to then came through in weeks, instead to the best of my memory, the very next day  he, and thousands of other students were retrospectively placed on temporary visa A for at least 3 years, before the majority were then told to leave the country in weeks. Sadly some students committed suicide, it was a bad time for those affected.

We were on the 410  retirement visa, closed to new applicants, we had to be totally self funded, no access to Medicare, or any state help. We had to have overseas health insurance, which became so expensive over the years in comparison to what we were charged when for instance we came in 2003 that many people who had lived here for 30 years could no longer afford it and had to leave Australia. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

In the context of the student visas I think you might be referencing the cap and cease provisions:

https://migrationalliance.com.au/immigration-daily-news/entry/2015-09-cap-and-cease.html

My belief is that the Government doesn't have the numbers in the Senate to push through such a change on parent visa applicants - at least not those who are on BVs onshore.

Plus there'd be uproar in the media.

Not politically do-able, IMHO.

Best regards.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

In the context of the student visas I think you might be referencing the cap and cease provisions:

https://migrationalliance.com.au/immigration-daily-news/entry/2015-09-cap-and-cease.html

My belief is that the Government doesn't have the numbers in the Senate to push through such a change on parent visa applicants - at least not those who are on BVs onshore.

Plus there'd be uproar in the media.

Not politically do-able, IMHO.

Best regards.

Do you think there is a possibility RHCA would be removed from 804 given it costs Australia so much? Or maybe remove the work rights on the BVA that allow a cheaper private health insurance cover. After all giving people work rights at age 67 after they’ve probably retired in their home country is a bit absurd whilst younger parents with acknowledged  skills have to wait  offshore? 

37 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Do you think there is a possibility RHCA would be removed from 804 given it costs Australia so much? Or maybe remove the work rights on the BVA that allow a cheaper private health insurance cover. After all giving people work rights at age 67 after they’ve probably retired in their home country is a bit absurd whilst younger parents with acknowledged  skills have to wait  offshore? 

I think that if you read the RHCA there is a question over whether Medicare should be made available to those who've been in Australia on BVs after a few years.

I have the text of the RHCA and a subsequent exchange of letters between the UK and Aus Governments - the requirement to access Medicare in Australia is for the individual to be “ … lawfully present but not ordinarily resident in Australia.”

If one is in Australia on a BV for many years the question inevitably arises (or perhaps should arise) as to whether one is now ordinarily resident in Australia and hence not entitled under the RHCA.

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

I think that if you read the RHCA there is a question over whether Medicare should be made available to those who've been in Australia on BVs after a few years.

I have the text of the RHCA and a subsequent exchange of letters between the UK and Aus Governments - the requirement to access Medicare in Australia is for the individual to be “ … lawfully present but not ordinarily resident in Australia.”

If one is in Australia on a BV for many years the question inevitably arises (or perhaps should arise) as to whether one is now ordinarily resident in Australia and hence not entitled under the RHCA.

Best regards.

Thank you @Alan Collett that actually makes sense ! 
So I gather that may be  one of the things they will discuss when working out a new parent strategy 

On 05/05/2023 at 14:51, LindaH27 said:

I’m starting to learn that,  Alan! 😁
thank you for your help 

Congratulations @LindaH27. You might be lucky and get contacted for further info in the coming FY (23-24)

Edited by muz068

It would be interesting to know how many are still in the queue before us so as to have a wild guess at when the call will probably come.

% of people dropping out due to change of plans, Poor  health and folk unfortunately no longer with us must be higher than usual. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to ask a question. On 27 March I received a request for further information. I’ve now done the medical and received both my U.K. and AFP police checks. On 5 April my daughter got confirmation that she’d lodged the AoS and was given 17 May as the estimated date for completion by Centrelink. It’s now 22 May and we’ve still not heard anything. She’s checking her emails daily, including spam, and no phone call either. Also checking her myGov account to look for any movement. 

From others experience, is this sort of overrun by Centrelink normal? I know they only said the 17 May was an estimation, but it gets a bit frustrating to be so near. I’d quite like to be in the 1000 Alan mentions in his blog!

1 hour ago, LesleyT said:

I’d like to ask a question. On 27 March I received a request for further information. I’ve now done the medical and received both my U.K. and AFP police checks. On 5 April my daughter got confirmation that she’d lodged the AoS and was given 17 May as the estimated date for completion by Centrelink. It’s now 22 May and we’ve still not heard anything. She’s checking her emails daily, including spam, and no phone call either. Also checking her myGov account to look for any movement. 

From others experience, is this sort of overrun by Centrelink normal? I know they only said the 17 May was an estimation, but it gets a bit frustrating to be so near. I’d quite like to be in the 1000 Alan mentions in his blog!

That’s quite a normal thing! Just as a heads up there are people who’ve paid AOS a few months ago who are still waiting for 2nd VAC. I would assume they’re part of the 1000 left but they may still have to wait till new financial year on 1st July 

4 hours ago, LesleyT said:

I lodged my application in Feb 2017.  In Nov 2022 I was asked for medical, police clearance and AoS.  All this was submitted in Nov/Dec 2022 including AoS approval letter 22 Dec.  I am still waiting for 2nd Vac payment request.  I  hoping I’m part of the 1000 mentioned.  You may have a while to go yet.   

Edited by Tulip1