Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Marisawright last won the day on January 19

Marisawright had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

8,917 Excellent


About Marisawright

  • Rank
    PIO Chatter Box

Recent Profile Visitors

12,227 profile views
  1. Marisawright

    Moving from Sydney to Sunshine Coast

    Most of the year, Noosa is a quiet, laidback kind of place. We went there in the week before Christmas and it was just like any other small town along the NSW coast, if you've been to any of those. Then on Boxing Day, the place was suddenly packed out, tourists and cars everywhere. One of the shopkeepers told me the population more than doubles on Boxing Day and stays that way all January, the bars are lively and the restaurants busy, then it shuts down again.
  2. Marisawright

    Australian and UK Covid Responses

    I agree it's a shambles over East at the moment, which I'm sure is why the premier is afraid to open the border. But to say "even with the booster' isn't accurate, because they only started administering the booster in mid-December and even then, only to a small cohort. They've opened it up now but it will take time to build up - as it stands today, most people haven't had a booster at all "over East".
  3. Marisawright

    Where to live in Sydney

    Good spot. That's very close to Wynyard Station, which is a major interchange for both trains and buses. You can get to anywhere from Wynyard, but I would be looking at the North Shore myself. I say that because getting on buses or trains at Wynyard, and then going in any other direction, means a transit through several very busy city stations before you get out to the suburbs. It's like sardines, with more and more people crowding on at every stop! Whereas the trains from Wynyard go straight onto the Harbour Bridge and then you're out of the city, and people start getting off the train immediately, so you get some relief. It will depend on your budget how far out you go, of course. Look at the stops along the train line from Wynyard. Also check the buses, which will take you to Neutral Bay and onwards. Alternatively you could walk the 10-15 minutes up to Circular Quay and take the ferry (expensive, but a lovely way to get to work). https://transportnsw.info/document/3953/buses-around-northern-beaches.pdf https://transportnsw.info/document/2382/sydney-ferries-network-map-1017.pdf https://transportnsw.info/document/4746/sydney-rail-network-map-5-jan.pdf
  4. Marisawright

    Where to live in Sydney

    George Street is a very long street, which end will you be on (tell me the number and I can look it up). For instance, if you're at the harbour end, you'll be close to Wynyard and the express buses that go over to the North Shore, which are very fast and efficient. If you're right down at the other end, then you'd be better off staying south side.
  5. Marisawright

    Moving back to the UK with teenagers

    So what would they do if she failed? Force her to leave school? Surely not. I wonder what they do with children who arrive in the UK ready to enter their final year of school. Do they just refuse them an education?
  6. Marisawright

    Moving back to the UK with teenagers

    When you say "adverse effect on their education", what do you mean exactly? How much of an impact would it be? If it means losing a year, would that be such a disaster?
  7. Marisawright

    I finally sold my home in England this severing another tie

    They're not heavy if you split them up. Check around your area for community libraries too. Then just get into the habit of picking up two or three books every time you go out for a walk, an drop them off at a street library or charity shop.
  8. Marisawright

    I finally sold my home in England this severing another tie

    It's always a big debate whether it's worth doing a makeover or not. However, the one BIG thing, which they say you must always do, is declutter. Especially in a unit, because it's a small space and clutter makes it look worse. Also things like ornaments are very personal taste.
  9. Marisawright

    Australian and UK Covid Responses

    That's odd, because at first they were saying it wasn't having much effect.
  10. Marisawright

    NSW 491 holders/applicants

    Gorgeous. Great beaches, the white sands of Jervis Bay, the Sapphire Coast, beautiful. If you aim for the Northern end of the Far North Coast, you're only two hours' drive from Sydney. That's a dawdle by Australian standards. Most of the towns are quiet and laidback. Nowra is the biggest city. It has had a bad reputation for drugs and hoons, but it's improved by leaps and bounds over recent years. It still has suburbs everyone avoids but it's gentrifying quickly. https://www.homely.com.au/nowra-shoalhaven-illawarra-new-south-wales
  11. Marisawright

    Australian and UK Covid Responses

    Well not quite, because they believe that two doses of the vaccine is not effective against Omicron.
  12. Marisawright

    Australian and UK Covid Responses

    I don't think that's the reason. I think he's just dithering. Like I said, he's watching the shambles in the other states and knows he can't afford to let that happen because it will destroy his popularity, but he can't decide what else to do.
  13. Marisawright

    Australian and UK Covid Responses

    That's my point. It hasn't been "many weeks" at all. Remember that Australia didn't get started on vaccines until long after the UK, and it was rolled out in age groups. We're in our 60s and got our first jab in May 2021, so people in our age group are getting boosters now. However, people under 50 couldn't get a first dose until September 2021, so they're not even eligible for a booster yet.
  14. Marisawright

    I finally sold my home in England this severing another tie

    Do you have someone to pass the teapoy on to? If not, now might be a good time to think about selling it, it could be worth something. This is about Ercol: https://www.pamono.com.au/makers/ercol When we went to the UK, we got rid of most of our furniture as it was past its best anyway. When we returned, we just went to IKEA and bought all our furniture there. I must admit I feel self-conscious about that when we have visitors, as I feel a bit like a student! However it's such sensible furniture for a unit - compact, lightweight, clean lines - and although most of it is just made from particleboard and the like, it's very sturdy and practical. At our age it's probably silly to buy furniture that will "last a lifetime" anyway.
  15. Not likely to need to log in to MyGov for anything after his last tax return, though, assuming he doesn't owe any tax.