Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by Marisawright

  1. Marisawright

    Migration Agent Recommendation

    Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda. However, realistically, a migration agent can advise what your chances would be, once qualified, under the current rules. They don't have a crystal ball, any more than the rest of us, unfortunately. Especially after Covid, when it's rumoured there will be major changes (read: reductions) in visas. The best advice is, forget about your migration dreams, and plan your career based on what you'd be happy doing for the rest of your life.
  2. Marisawright

    Does dating get harder the older you get?

    ....then your reaction should have been, "What's wrong with my profile? Why is it turning every woman off?"
  3. Marisawright

    Employer Nomination

    What does your agent have to say about it?
  4. Marisawright

    Does dating get harder the older you get?

    Well, that's exactly the point of internet dating (at least, it is for women). Meet someone in a pub or club, and you can waste a lot of time chatting to what looks like a handsome prince on the surface, but turns out to be boring as ****. Whereas you can tell a lot from the way someone writes their profile. A boring profile = a boring man. Bad spelling, poor grammar=badly educated. Half-hearted, didn't make an effort- = lazy pig OR thinks he's God's gift to women. Not saying that women aren't influenced by looks, too, but the profile is also very important if they're looking for a long-term partner.
  5. Marisawright

    Info on points system and selection

    AFAIK they're not actually asking for all of those things, it's an either/or situation. They're asking you to provide solid proof that you actually worked each of those jobs. For instance if you have a contract (to show your start date) and a P45 (to prove you actually worked the contract, and show your end date), that's all you need for that particular job.
  6. Marisawright

    Returning Resident Visa during COVID

    They are right, I didn't realise you hadn't applied for their citizenship at birth. The problem is that the only visa you can get for them is a visitor visa, and holders of visitor visas are not allowed into Australia currently. So they will need a travel exemption as well as the visa.
  7. Marisawright

    Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

    Are you speaking from experience? By that I mean, do you know for sure that constantly emailing the case officer gets results? I can't help thinking that if everyone is emailing them every week, they're never going to get any work done....
  8. Marisawright

    Thinking of moving back to Uk

    I do think you misunderstood Tulip. She's an old lady herself (as am I). Someone said the Australian pension was just as good as the UK one, and I felt she was just countering that by saying that everyone (or at least most people) can get the UK pension whereas only some get the Australian one. That's all.
  9. Marisawright

    Skilled Occupation ambiguity

    No. It means you should hire someone like Paul Hand to do a thorough analysis of your skills and duties and advise, based on his experience of representing clients, which category you should apply under, and what visa will give you the best chance of success.
  10. Marisawright

    Thinking of moving back to Uk

    No, it's just that different states have different rules.
  11. Marisawright

    Returning Resident Visa during COVID

    Yes, you will have 12 months to enter Australia. The London offices are closed to visitors but they are still working. They ask you to contact them at the email address I gave, and they will advise what you need to do (passports.lhlh@dfat.gov.au)
  12. BEDS - they are a different size here, but the size difference is not that big so you will find sheets that more-or-less fit. However, if you decide to bring them, I'd buy a couple of spare sets of sheets to send with them. Whether to bring them or not - I would base that decision on whether you have space. It's a terrible waste of money to send a container half-empty, so you might as well fill it. AIR BNB - Yes, pretty much everyone books either an AirBnB or a holiday let for 3 or 4 weeks. Unless you've got family to stay with, there's really no alternative. SPIDERS - Don't worry about spiders. Cockroaches are worse. Seriously, I'm a real coward with bugs, but even so, I've never been too troubled by spiders. The big Huntsman spiders had me standing on a chair screaming at first - but you soon discover that they never come anywhere near you. Though they can bite, I've never met anyone who's been bitten and it's not life-threatening. Quoll's advice is good. With outdoor furniture, they're not going to be crawling with multiple spiders if you leave them outside. Just check underneath them and there might be one or two spiders under there, which you can flick off or squash. CLOTHING - This is a difficult one. Clothes shopping is definitely not as good in Australia - there's a lot less variety. However, you're coming to a new country and you'll be living a different kind of life. What you imagine is not necessarily what it will be like, so you could find you've stocked up on stuff you'lll never wear. I would say, DO bring your cold weather clothing. After you've been through a steaming hot summer, you'll be reaching for a warm coat when the cool weather starts (even though you'd have been in shorts in that "cool weather" in the UK).
  13. Marisawright


    I live in Brunswick East. Northcote is a couple of suburbs away. It is a nice area. It's not the same as it was 9 years ago as it's become trendy. That's a good thing in that there's a lot more cafes and restaurants but it has also driven up house prices. I assume you've checked that out on realestate.com.au.
  14. What supported documentation do you have? Has her doctor said it's essential for your wife's health to have her mother present for the birth? Will the doctor put that in writing? That's the kind of supporting documentation you will need.
  15. AFAIK, all teachers must have a 4 year degree, including Early Childhood teachers. Each state manages its own education system - have you tried checking the individual states' websites?
  16. Marisawright

    Thinking of moving back to Uk

    The Australian state pension is not connected to your working life either. As long as you've lived in Australia for 10 years or more, you're entitled. However, it's means-tested, so you only get it if you need it. If you've got enough money to support yourself, you don't get it - and I think that's fair enough. If you do need it, the maximum Australian pension is more generous than the British one. Each state is different when it comes to fares on public transport. As for NHS vs Medicare, the big difference is that dental and optical aren't covered by Medicare (although there are dental hospitals). Otherwise, it is possible to be fully covered by Medicare for all your health needs. You just need to be more educated about what you're entitled to, unlike in the UK where it all happens automatically. Prescriptions aren't free for pensioners, but are only $5 a pop if you apply for a Commonwealth Health Card. Australians are so used to accessing private health care to avoid waiting lists, that GP's will often refer you to a private specialist without even asking (it happened to me a few times). I've come across at least one pensioner on these forums who didn't even know they had a right to ask to be referred to the public system, and had been fretting about affording a private specialist.
  17. Marisawright

    Does dating get harder the older you get?

    I think most women would be enraged by that, to be honest. A genuine relationship is based on shared values and shared interests, not on whether someone has a pretty face or a nice body. And of course, if your face and body aren't worthy of Adonis, I hope you were being realistic in what kind of woman would be likely to find you attractive.
  18. Marisawright

    Returning Resident Visa during COVID

    If you meet the residency criteria for a RRV, it gets processed in a matter of days. If you don't, it needs special consideration and may be refused. According to an agent on a recent post, it takes about three months to come through. Although you're way beyond the usual limit, I think you'd have a good chance of it going smoothly, with a husband and two kids who are Australian. Worst case scenario is a RRV that's valid for only three months. It's much more usual to get one that's valid for a year. You can't get visas for children who are Australian. I'm not sure what the procedure would be, but you can email passports.lhlh@dfat.gov.au to find out.
  19. I don't like home espresso machines much either, as a rule. A few years ago, I had to buy some espresso machines for the tea rooms at work, and I went on the internet to research the best options. I discovered a site called CoffeeGeek (I think) which had an astonishing amount of advice. The bottom line, basically, was that there wasn't a home espresso machine that could produce anything close to a barista-made coffee from a professional espresso machine. You might as well just buy a moka pot, because that produces a better cup than a home machine. That may have changed, who knows. Most people seem to have moved on to capsule machines which are no use at all. I need at least two capsules to make one half-decent cup and my husband needs three or four.
  20. Marisawright

    Does dating get harder the older you get?

    It was RSVP. I think it's a shame you refused the meet up at the coffee shop. Women are usually more relaxed in that situation. They're less likely to walk out mid-drink, because they know they can leave once they've had their coffee anyway. We feel more pressured if we're thinking, "If I finish my drink then I'll have to order dinner and then I'll be stuck". Pick a coffee shop in a park and you can always go for a walk afterwards if you're hitting it off.
  21. I’d have thought the food had more to do with that. Also it depends on your definition of good coffee. Some people think the filter stuff is fine
  22. Marisawright

    Plans for summer move- dad just diagnosed with dementia

    What Quoll said. If you delay now because of your dad's dementia, how long will you stay? If he's just been diagnosed, he probably has many years ahead of him. As he deteriorates, it will only get harder and harder to leave. IMO there's no "may" about it: if you don't go now, you'll never go. Your husband will have to adjust his dream to "Maybe I'll retire in Australia" - but by that time, your daughter may be settled in the UK and then, how can you leave her? You staying won't make a difference to your father's prognosis, and it won't make a difference to how well he's looked after. It comes down to a choice between your dad's happiness and your husband's happiness. The traditional view would be that your own little family should come first, and I think your mum and dad would understand that.
  23. I always buy barista made coffee. I always sit down and drink it in the cafe, in a china cup.
  24. Do they have espresso machines in builders' cafes?
  25. Marisawright

    Thinking of moving back to Uk

    So much depends where in Australia you come to, too. I couldn't live in the Outback or even in rural Queensland - I don't like bugs! I lived in Sydney, and I'm a city girl. Yes, there were cockroaches and spiders but not that bad. No snakes, I've never had a dog and I don't wander round the bush, so ticks weren't a problem. Now I'm in Melbourne and there are no more cockroaches, spiders or snakes here than there were in London. The weather is cool and fresh every morning, even on the rare days when it gets stinking hot. It is very different in Australia but that's what I like about it. I always felt like a square peg in a round hole growing up in Scotland and I feel I fit in much better with people here.