Guest guest36187

19 minutes ago, muz068 said:

Thanks a lot for sharing this. Sad to see that June 2018 applications will be processed in June 2026. 

The Government will need to markedly increase the annual visa allocation to parents if subclass 870 visa holders don't use up their 10 years before their 143 visas are granted.

Best regards.

5 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

The Government will need to markedly increase the annual visa allocation to parents if subclass 870 visa holders don't use up their 10 years before their 143 visas are granted.

Best regards.

Yes, you are absolutely right. However, I don't expect the allocation to increase in the next 2-3 years. This is because people seem happy to see that the quota jumped from 4k to 8.5K. However, they would understand the reality within few months and then raise their voice once again. Just my two cents- can be wrong 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, I am new to the forum and have a situation - I recently got the request for additional documents (applied for subclass 143 in first week Apr 2017). However, the dependent on the file has turned 23 last month so is affected by the changes that came in Nov 2016. Is there any exception to the rule (apart from the disability), given that the slowdown was due to reduced quota and COVID in the subsequent years etc.

As most of us know that the original time frame in 2017 for visa processing was around 18 to 24 months or so. It has been a really frustrating period while we waited for the department to catch up and now this!

Has anyone seen a 23+ year dependent get a grant who filed their visa after Nov 2016 rule update? Any information would be useful. Thank you.

On 13/01/2023 at 10:45, Alan Collett said:

Best regards.

That's interesting insight, but they'd increase the 870 allocation and not 143, right?

7 minutes ago, Arti said:

That's interesting insight, but they'd increase the 870 allocation and not 143, right?

Don’t think so. I read it as the 143 quota needs to be increased as the wait time for newer applicants has exceeded the 10 years that 870 allows. No point in increasing the number of 870s if they stick at the 10 year mark. So either increase the 143 quota or lengthen the maximum time allowed in Australia on 870

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Anks said:

Hi All, 

Does anyone know what is the latest month that has been asked for more information for 143. 

Cheers

Social media says an applicant with mid April 2017 date  has been contacted for further details. There seems to be no “strictly according to queue date “ going on at present. Some in March 2017  have been granted whilst some  in January 2017  are still waiting for contact ! 

it’s impossible to know how they are dealing with the date orders except if someone had changed from 103 to 143 and would go straight to the top of the queue as they keep their original queue date. Every date after 2012 which is what they’re currently processing would jump ahead

• Like 2

Just now, LindaH27 said:

Social media says an applicant with mid April 2017 date  has been contacted for further details. There seems to be no “strictly according to queue date “ going on at present. Some in March 2017  have been granted whilst some  in January 2017  are still waiting for contact ! 

it’s impossible to know how they are dealing with the date orders except if someone had changed from 103 to 143 and would go straight to the top of the queue as they keep their original queue date. Every date after 2012 which is what they’re currently processing would jump ahead to the current 143 processing date 

On 11/02/2023 at 20:43, LindaH27 said:

Don’t think so. I read it as the 143 quota needs to be increased as the wait time for newer applicants has exceeded the 10 years that 870 allows. No point in increasing the number of 870s if they stick at the 10 year mark. So either increase the 143 quota or lengthen the maximum time allowed in Australia on 870

Right! It's all a bit too daunting at the moment and the uncertainty does not help anyone especially when parents aren't reverse aging 😐

I'm quite upset at how the waiting times published on the immigration website have historically been wrong. We planned based on 2 years waiting period, it's sad how it's just blown way out of proportion.

(Sorry just venting, I'm annoyed with myself for not preparing for the worst case scenario)

45 minutes ago, Arti said:

I'm quite upset at how the waiting times published on the immigration website have historically been wrong.

To be strictly accurate, they have never been wrong, just not explained properly.  They have always shown actual waiting periods, i.e. the time it's taken for the applications they're currently processing.  They've never shown predicted waiting periods for new applications, on the grounds that they couldn't predict (due to possible changes in quotas etc).  At the time you applied, the waiting time for your application was already going to be more than 5 years, you just didn't know it.

I totally agree, there should've been a note alongside the figures making that clear, because most people took them to be a prediction. I'm glad to see they've finally changed it.

Hello folks,

Both my parents are in the queue for 143. I applied for it in September 2018 - Queue letter was received in September 2021. I am aware there is still a wait time for me to be asked for documents etc.

In the mean time , I wanted to know about what is the best VISA I can get them here on which can offer a fairly longer visit. They have visited before with Subclass 800 and per stay for 1 year duration. This was before applying for 143. Is that the best I can choose now as well ? Or are there any newer types of subclass I can try.

Please let me know. Appreciate the help.

4 hours ago, vika said:

Hello folks,

Both my parents are in the queue for 143. I applied for it in September 2018 - Queue letter was received in September 2021. I am aware there is still a wait time for me to be asked for documents etc.

In the mean time , I wanted to know about what is the best VISA I can get them here on which can offer a fairly longer visit. They have visited before with Subclass 800 and per stay for 1 year duration. This was before applying for 143. Is that the best I can choose now as well ? Or are there any newer types of subclass I can try.

Please let me know. Appreciate the help.

Subclass 600 - if you get the 3 years validity visa will give you a maximum of 12 months stay in 18 months period, which means they will have to go out of Australia within 12 months and stay outside for 6 months before entering again.
Other option is Subclass 870 which has an option of either 3 years or 5 years. A bit expensive but if you think it in a way, they won't need to travel back for that entire period then it's a good option. It is a 2-step process, and all details can be found here - (Subclass 870) Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (homeaffairs.gov.au).

Also, as you mentioned you have applied for 143 in Sept 2018, its highly unlikely and based on a calculator floating around (I can't find the link but if you read previous posts, you might find it) you won't hear back from Immi for the next 5 years. So, based on your situation, decide accordingly what suits you better.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Anks said:

Subclass 600 - if you get the 3 years validity visa will give you a maximum of 12 months stay in 18 months period, which means they will have to go out of Australia within 12 months and stay outside for 6 months before entering again.
Other option is Subclass 870 which has an option of either 3 years or 5 years. A bit expensive but if you think it in a way, they won't need to travel back for that entire period then it's a good option. It is a 2-step process, and all details can be found here - (Subclass 870) Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (homeaffairs.gov.au).

Also, as you mentioned you have applied for 143 in Sept 2018, its highly unlikely and based on a calculator floating around (I can't find the link but if you read previous posts, you might find it) you won't hear back from Immi for the next 5 years. So, based on your situation, decide accordingly what suits you better.

Good luck!

The  calculator actually says around 3 years not 5!

BA3525D0-D149-429D-810B-C83FB407DDD2.png

• Congratulations 1

2 hours ago, muz068 said:

Sorry but I think the number should be 7000 ( 80% of 8500) 

There is as yet no “official” split of 8500 visa between contributory and non contributory - nothing has  been announced yet unless you can supply a  link to the relevant home affairs page? . The amount used  was suggested by an agent. 

It’s possible they could  actually reduce the non contributory quota as govt do not like 804 and have tried to get rid of it in the past. It’s still going to take in excess of 30 years to get a non contributory visa and by giving more contributory visas Australia gets a lot more money to offset the costs of Medicare. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

There is as yet no “official” split of 8500 visa between contributory and non contributory - nothing has  been announced yet unless you can supply a  link to the relevant home affairs page? . The amount used  was suggested by an agent. 

It’s possible they could  actually reduce the non contributory quota as govt do not like 804 and have tried to get rid of it in the past. It’s still going to take in excess of 30 years to get a non contributory visa and by giving more contributory visas Australia gets a lot more money to offset the costs of Medicare. 

Hey,

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I know there is no official announcement yet but based on historical data it has always been split of 80-20. @Alan Collett can shed more light on this

1 hour ago, muz068 said:

Hey,

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I know there is no official announcement yet but based on historical data it has always been split of 80-20. @Alan Collett can shed more light on this

I’m using the figure suggested by Alan.   Also see his post on non contributory visas 

620969BA-88DB-45A2-89A3-D5CB7613D0C2.jpeg

Edited by LindaH27

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please tell me how to update details of parents passport / address ? I have listed myself as the person who will be communicating on their behalf and receiving communication - so I will have to do this. Thanks in advance.

My MIL applied for 143 visa in 2017. Likely her visa will be granted within the next year. We have waited a long time, however as she will be 67 next year (Australian retirement age), I am wondering if we should look into other visa options 804/864, to avoid having to pay the $50k visa fee. 

My MIL has both her children living in Australia, is unlikely to want to work when she gets here, and unlikely to ever want to travel outside of Australia again. 

Any advice on if this should be an option to consider, any other considerations? My understanding is we would obviously need to withdraw the 143 application, she would come out to Australia once she turns 67 on a visitor visa, apply on-shore for the 864 visa, then get a bridging visa which allows her to stay indefinitely until her 864 is granted (which will be 30+ years!?) 

Thanks