Guest guest36187

Hi All,

I was just wondering is there any advantage of applying 870 visa for my parents?

Basically, my parents applied for 143 in June 2018.

Recently they have reached tourist visa for 5 years (quite surprisingly as usually that is granted to 804 applicant)

9 minutes ago, muz068 said:

Hi All,

I was just wondering is there any advantage of applying 870 visa for my parents?

Basically, my parents applied for 143 in June 2018.

Recently they have reached tourist visa for 5 years (quite surprisingly as usually that is granted to 804 applicant)

Tourist visa is not granted to 804 - they get Bridging visa A  ((BVA)

Is it 600 visa instead - May have condition only  12 months in any 18 months on it and Condition no further stay? 

7 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Tourist visa is not granted to 804 - they get Bridging visa A  ((BVA)

Is it 600 visa instead - May have condition only  12 months in any 18 months on it and Condition no further stay? 

103 visa I mean.

My parents don't have no further stay condition- however yes they have 12 months in any 18 months.  I know of this requirement but my parents don't want to stay here continously 

On 01/05/2023 at 19:20, Tulip1 said:

Did you not consider keeping in the 143 queue and staying onshore on a 870 while waiting.  You might at this stage still have had about another six years to go if you’d have hung in there but getting PR in six years time sounds much better than never getting PR, especially as there’s options to be onshore while waiting.  

We did consider all the options. But given the requirement for health insurance on 870, we were looking at 2x 870 visas to cover the wait, nowhere to go for the 3 months in the middle and an extra $20,000 for visas + $26,000 for health insurance, to then have to pay close to $100,000 for 143 in 10 years IF we pass the medical. Didn't seem smart. Even if we managed it in 6, it was still a LOT of extra cash to find. 
It's impossible to make informed decisions when the government themselves don't provide accurate information.

5 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

We did consider all the options. But given the requirement for health insurance on 870, we were looking at 2x 870 visas to cover the wait, nowhere to go for the 3 months in the middle and an extra $20,000 for visas + $26,000 for health insurance, to then have to pay close to $100,000 for 143 in 10 years IF we pass the medical. Didn't seem smart. Even if we managed it in 6, it was still a LOT of extra cash to find. 
It's impossible to make informed decisions when the government themselves don't provide accurate information.

There could be changes ahead for all parent visas particularly as Australia say there are too many on “permanently temporary visas”   Medicare is also struggling and it wouldn’t surprise me if they took away the reciprocal health care as only 11 countries benefit from it. Annual private health care could be very expensive - I believe @ramot was quoted $11k a year for a couple a while ago ! 
I understand a hip operation would cost $45000 so over the years you could end up paying thousands of dollars if they decided to remove the RHCA. 

On 28/05/2023 at 22:46, LindaH27 said:

There could be changes ahead for all parent visas particularly as Australia say there are too many on “permanently temporary visas”   Medicare is also struggling and it wouldn’t surprise me if they took away the reciprocal health care as only 11 countries benefit from it. Annual private health care could be very expensive - I believe @ramot was quoted $11k a year for a couple a while ago ! 
I understand a hip operation would cost $45000 so over the years you could end up paying thousands of dollars if they decided to remove the RHCA. 

given how utterly impossible is it to plan for things that 'might' eventuate, we've decided to roll with the now. Maybe it changes and we leave Australia, so be it. Life is short. Too short to second-guess what the powers that be will do next. Is it what it is. 

Hi everyone 

My mom and my sister (dependent over 18) have granted visa 173 last year. Now, they are living in Australia with me and we are going to apply for visa 143 by ourselves. My questions are:

1/ My sister need to be a dependent (under family’s sponsorship) to apply from 173 to 143 or not? Because in her visa, their only have one condition is “not marry before first entry”

2/ If my sister doesn’t study and she goes to work, can she get visa 143 granted?

If anyone had the same situation or experienced about this can help us?

Many thanks

Both their Visa 173 applied 30/08/2016 granted 26/11/2022

1 minute ago, 5000/1 said:

Could we enter Auz on a 600 visitor visa and be granted a 173 parent visa on shore ? 
anyone any idea ? 

No you can’t. 173 is an offshore visa therefore you would have to be outside Australia in order to have it granted . Your return to Australia will then activate the visa.  

15 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

No you can’t. 173 is an offshore visa therefore you would have to be outside Australia in order to have it granted . Your return to Australia will then activate the visa.  

Thanks Linda 

Hello everyone.. I have recently received email from Immi asking for confirmation if details on my parents 143 application is still current. I think this is just before they will send request next request. 

Can anyone advise how much time does Immi give in their request for AoS, medical and police clearance request? Does the letter has any deadline to submit all? 

13 minutes ago, amsaini15 said:

Hello everyone.. I have recently received email from Immi asking for confirmation if details on my parents 143 application is still current. I think this is just before they will send request next request. 

Can anyone advise how much time does Immi give in their request for AoS, medical and police clearance request? Does the letter has any deadline to submit all? 

I’m sorry but practically everybody got this one. It was a glitch in the dept. Agents got loads!! 

5 minutes ago, Juliet7 said:

I keep checking to see If there’s progress for you Linda!

I’m afraid not. On current progress it’s not likely to happen until towards the end of next year - so another 18 months or so!! 
just seems never ending 😩

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/visa-processing-time-calculator/

Latest data set now added to the contributory parent visa processing time calculator ... based on data as at 20 May 2023.

There was a total of 84,559 CP visa applications awaiting a decision at that date.

At 11 Jan 2023 the total number was 80,099.

At 30 August 2022, the total number was 77,451.

The extent to which the demand for CP visas is exceeding the number being granted annually is apparent from the sizeable increase in the number of outstanding visa applications over only 9 months.

Indeed, for calendar year 2021 the total number of CP visa applications awaiting processing amounted to 13,032 in the last data set.

For calendar year 2022 the number was 15,754.

For the first 4 months of 2013 the number was 5,023.

So realistically about 15,000 CP visas should be granted each year to maintain some order and control over parent visa processing.

As most will know, we're looking at about 7,000 again for the program year starting 1 July 2023 ...

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

Hi

Which form should I use to update my address (sponsor and the exempt person) as I will be moving soon? Thanks

I filled 956 at the time of application to nominate myself as an exempt person. Will it be the same form to change the address as well? Do I need to fill separate form to change the same as a sponsor?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, So a relative told me this week that they have spoken to two migration agents in Oz and both said Parent Visas will no longer exist in July, so if an application is not made before then, there is no chance my parent will able to live permanently in Oz. I know changes are planned but does anyone know what they are and when they will come into effect? (UK based.) Thanks.

1 minute ago, Sheila2010 said:

Hi, So a relative told me this week that they have spoken to two migration agents in Oz and both said Parent Visas will no longer exist in July, so if an application is not made before then, there is no chance my parent will able to live permanently in Oz. I know changes are planned but does anyone know what they are and when they will come into effect? (UK based.) Thanks.

Respectfully - and I'm making myself a hostage to fortune here - I think this is nonsense.

I think it is incumbent on anyone making such assertions to provide the evidence ... so where's the official guidance that's advising the end of parent visa applications please?

Best regards.

1 hour ago, Sheila2010 said:

Hi, So a relative told me this week that they have spoken to two migration agents in Oz and both said Parent Visas will no longer exist in July,

That sounds like an impossibility.  The previous government tried to get rid of the 804 parent visa but it requires a change in legislation to do so, and they couldn't get it through parliament. Legislation takes time to prepare, so if they wanted to stop parent visas in July, we'd know about it by now.    

I suppose they might do what New Zealand did, and stop all new applications until they've cleared the huge number of current applications.  I think that would make sense, since it's giving false hope to people to allow them to apply now -- many don't realise they'll be waiting for 12 years or more to be approved.  

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

Respectfully - and I'm making myself a hostage to fortune here - I think this is nonsense.

I think it is incumbent on anyone making such assertions to provide the evidence ... so where's the official guidance that's advising the end of parent visa applications please?

Best regards.

That’s what I told my relative - it would be outrageous to do this! The agents couldn’t provide any evidence and I told my relative they were scaremongering. I told my relative visas had been discussed in parliament but nothing had been decided several months ago.
When will anything official will be published? 1st July?

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Sheila2010 said:

That’s what I told my relative - it would be outrageous to do this!

I don't think it's likely to happen, but I wouldn't say it would be outrageous.  After all, the UK won't let Australian parents in, so why should Australia let UK parents in?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheila2010 said:

Sounds more like they’re trying to dissuade someone from applying ! Govt couldn’t just withdraw the visas as that would require legislation - but they could potentially put a temporary stop on new applications for a while to sort out what they want to do about the backlog. If any,  it’s likely to be 804 as there’s been a recent explosion in applications for that visa I believe and govts do not like this visa. 

• Like 2