Guest guest36187

1 minute ago, youngfreewild said:

My MIL applied for 143 visa in 2017. Likely her visa will be granted within the next year. We have waited a long time, however as she will be 67 next year (Australian retirement age), I am wondering if we should look into other visa options 804/864, to avoid having to pay the $50k visa fee. 

My MIL has both her children living in Australia, is unlikely to want to work when she gets here, and unlikely to ever want to travel outside of Australia again. 

Any advice on if this should be an option to consider, any other considerations? My understanding is we would obviously need to withdraw the 143 application, she would come out to Australia once she turns 67 on a visitor visa, apply on-shore for the 864 visa, then get a bridging visa which allows her to stay indefinitely until her 864 is granted (which will be 30+ years!?) 

Thanks

864 is same wait  time as 143 and costs the same. I’m assuming you mean 804! In my opinion it’s a mistake. 804 gets a bridging visa for 30 years.  But you have  to be fully self supporting. Only reciprocal health care    if from one of 11 countries  Medicare is struggling  and GPS are moving away from bulk  billing and charging for everything. There’s   extra taxes if you wish to buy property and most importantly 804 as a temporary visa is subject to any  changes in immigration rules and AOS. There’s also no entitlement to any benefit including Australian pension  so you’d need deep pockets. It seems silly when you could potentially get the 143 grant in a year or so -  what  you could potentially spend on other things could possibly equal what you pay in 143! 

o

• Like 1

On 06/03/2023 at 09:07, vika said:

Can someone please tell me how to update details of parents passport / address ? I have listed myself as the person who will be communicating on their behalf and receiving communication - so I will have to do this. Thanks in advance.

hello folks, any info/help here please ?

1 minute ago, Sheila2010 said:

What taxes are there on buying a property, please?

Depends if you’re on a temporary visa like 870 or on a bridging visa for 804/864. If on one of those you have to apply for permission to buy from FIRB as you’re classed as foreign investor. Will cost $13,200  upwards depending on price of property. There is the usual stamp duty but there’s also added stamp duty which is state dependant on top as well. Eg in NSW it’s an extra 7% stamp on top of normal stamp duty. I believe it has to be sold if you leave Australia as well. 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2023 at 09:07, vika said:

Can someone please tell me how to update details of parents passport / address ? I have listed myself as the person who will be communicating on their behalf and receiving communication - so I will have to do this. Thanks in advance.

Hey folks, for anyone else who might be interested, I contacted Home Affairs, we need to submit for 929 by email to 929@homeaffairs.gov.au

To everyone on this parent visa thread who are waiting for your visa. I wish to thank all those people before me for sharing their experience which has been invaluable to us. I now wish to contribute our experience so it my help someone else.  We applied in January 2017- you can see the exact dates on my signature, which seems a long time ago. At times it seemed disheartening as the wait kept on increasing from the original 18-24 months, 6 years followed by covid and now 12 years! With the increase in parent visa numbers last year there was a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

We had resigned to the fact that the limit for visas for this year had been reached and we may be contacted after 1st July 23. To my surprise I received the the request for the  2nd VAC this morning.

From my experience, once the Case Officer requests the information, they picked up our file again after 30/35 days to check that we have sent the information requested. Depending on which Officer picks up the file again - in our case we were requested further information 2nd time ie Australian Police Check, first for myself and then a month later for my wife. Thus the application got delayed by around 5/6 weeks.

It has taken us 6 years and 6 weeks approx. to get to the stage of the 2nd VAC.

Finally I would like to say everyone else who are waiting: at our age, each day is precious and get on with enjoying what we have and surely your turn will come very soon.

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

10 minutes ago, Manrug said:

To everyone on this parent visa thread who are waiting for your visa. I wish to thank all those people before me for sharing their experience which has been invaluable to us. I now wish to contribute our experience so it my help someone else.  We applied in January 2017- you can see the exact dates on my signature, which seems a long time ago. At times it seemed disheartening as the wait kept on increasing from the original 18-24 months, 6 years followed by covid and now 12 years! With the increase in parent visa numbers last year there was a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

We had resigned to the fact that the limit for visas for this year had been reached and we may be contacted after 1st July 23. To my surprise I received the the request for the  2nd VAC this morning.

From my experience, once the Case Officer requests the information, they picked up our file again after 30/35 days to check that we have sent the information requested. Depending on which Officer picks up the file again - in our case we were requested further information 2nd time ie Australian Police Check, first for myself and then a month later for my wife. Thus the application got delayed by around 5/6 weeks.

It has taken us 6 years and 6 weeks approx. to get to the stage of the 2nd VAC.

Finally I would like to say everyone else who are waiting: at our age, each day is precious and get on with enjoying what we have and surely your turn will come very soon.

I’m so pleased to hear all eventually went well! It does seem as though the quota for this year has been reached as there’s been quite a few on social media who are still waiting for 2nd vac. Confusingly some May 2017 applicants have been asked for further docs so can only assume they are working to do a quick release once July arrives with the new quota. 

I wish you well in your new life!  Just wondering how long it will take for  my late June 2017 application given the huge numbers in May and June 2017 😩

I had hoped the findings from the review into  migration would have been published by now - it was supposed to report in February! 

1 minute ago, LesleyT said:

I’m late April 2017 and I’ve not heard anything yet. Fingers and toes crossed! 

There really doesn’t  seem to be much adherence to the “dealt with in strict date order” rule. There’s people still waiting from end 2016 and people being asked for further docs from May 2017! I don’t know how it works anymore. 

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

There really doesn’t  seem to be much adherence to the “dealt with in strict date order” rule.

Does that rule actually exist?   For other visas, it certainly doesn't.  For other visas, the way it works is that if they pick up an application and it isn't straightforward, it gets set aside and they move on to the next straightforward one.  

13 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Does that rule actually exist?   For other visas, it certainly doesn't.  For other visas, the way it works is that if they pick up an application and it isn't straightforward, it gets set aside and they move on to the next straightforward one.  

From home affairs website 

AF81AAF5-8653-4C3C-80F6-C0BC28F22ED3.jpeg

9 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

From home affairs website 

AF81AAF5-8653-4C3C-80F6-C0BC28F22ED3.jpeg

My 143 application was February 2017.  In November 2022 I was asked for documents such as medicals, police certificates and proof of my sons dependancy. AOS was also requested.  Everything submitted in December.  No issues, everything as clear as it could be.  I am still waiting for request for 2nd Vac.  I follow a few Facebook groups for parent visas and many have got their visas granted that applied for their visas after me.  Only yesterday there was one that applied a month after me and submitted everything two months after I did and they got the 2nd Vac request.  There are also some that submitted their applications before me that are still waiting.  It is definitely not being done in strict lodgement date order.  This should be highlighted to the relevant body. 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes it does. 

7 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

My 143 application was February 2017.  In November 2022 I was asked for documents such as medicals, police certificates and proof of my sons dependancy. AOS was also requested.  Everything submitted in December.  No issues, everything as clear as it could be.  I am still waiting for request for 2nd Vac.  I follow a few Facebook groups for parent visas and many have got their visas granted that applied for their visas after me.  Only yesterday there was one that applied a month after me and submitted everything two months after I did and they got the 2nd Vac request.  There are also some that submitted their applications before me that are still waiting.  It is definitely not being done in strict lodgement date order.  This should be highlighted to the relevant body. 

Exactly my point ! According to Hone Affairs it’s date order but we all know from social media it’s all over the place! 
I’m so sorry you supplied everything and still waiting. I guess the quota has been reached for  this year - but it almost looks like the quota will be met very quickly after July if all these people are still waiting. Which then means months again of nothing happening ! You mentioned your sons  dependency  - did you hit the rule that says over 23 are  not eligible for applications after November 2016?  

Edited by LindaH27

48 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Exactly my point ! According to Hone Affairs it’s date order but we all know from social media it’s all over the place! 
I’m so sorry you supplied everything and still waiting. I guess the quota has been reached for  this year - but it almost looks like the quota will be met very quickly after July if all these people are still waiting. Which then means months again of nothing happening ! You mentioned your sons  dependency  - did you hit the rule that says over 23 are  not eligible for applications after November 2016?  

His age isn’t a problem, he is under 23.   Not sure the quota has been reached for sure as even yesterday a few had got the 2nd Vac requests which I doubt would be happening if so.  Time will tell.  

Just to update all - We paid 2nd VAC yesterday by BPay from our Australian Bank Account.

Visa granted this morning for both of us.

---------------------------

Just my pennies worth, as I mentioned earlier in our case, once the documents were submitted the files was not picked up until about 30/35 days afterwards. It also depends which Officer picks the file up and it was not the same Officer. Like someone else said, if it is straightforward file there is temptation to process that rather than a complicated one, which then may get pushed to the bottom of the pile again. 

• Like 3

Hi members, I'm in panic mode right now. My parents changed their residence two years ago and didn't realise I had to update the Visa office about it until we got new passports last month and I filled the 929 forms and submitted today. While submitting I noticed on the 929 form that we need to inform the department before moving if we change residence for more than 14 days while the application is being processed. Have I just complicated my parents' application ?? 😢 
Please let me know how I can set things right if I messed up. If that's something alright - please let me know.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, vika said:

Hi members, I'm in panic mode right now. My parents changed their residence two years ago and didn't realise I had to update the Visa office about it until we got new passports last month and I filled the 929 forms and submitted today. While submitting I noticed on the 929 form that we need to inform the department before moving if we change residence for more than 14 days while the application is being processed. Have I just complicated my parents' application ?? 😢 
Please let me know how I can set things right if I messed up. If that's something alright - please let me know.

Thanks.

It puzzles me why you don't have an experienced migration agent supporting your parents' visa application - it would be much less stressful for you ...

Best regards.

5 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

It puzzles me why you don't have an experienced migration agent supporting your parents' visa application - it would be much less stressful for you ...

Best regards.

Hi Alan, I will contact you to see if it's possible to associate an agent when the application is ongoing. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, muz068 said:

The productivity commission report released. No mention of parent at all in the report. How are we suppose to take it? @LindaH27 @Alan Collett

Were parent visas included in their terms of reference?   Since they did a thorough report in 2016, and produced recommendations, perhaps they felt it wasn't necessary to revisit.

2 hours ago, muz068 said:

The productivity commission report released. No mention of parent at all in the report. How are we suppose to take it? @LindaH27 @Alan Collett

Can you give the link to the report ? As far as I’m aware it was a report into the future of immigration and visas rather than productivity 

Edited by LindaH27