Guest guest36187

17 minutes ago, Antoinette said:

Hi everyone,I applied for 143 visa in May 2023.I got diagnosed with Primary Billinary Cholangitis ( autoimmune liver condition) last year and on medication for same.Im in good health otherwise,will my application fail due to my condition?

I don’t think anyone could tell you! . Currently new applications made from January  2023 are likely to take between 12-15 years due to the fact there are around 85000 already in the queue and only 6800 grants per year. 

Its not just  the actual condition that could cause failure to pass medical,  it’s also whether the costs of treating it would cost more than $51000 over a period of 5-10 years. 

Also the govt has carried out a review into parent visas and will be making an announcement later this year. It’s possible there  could be a raft of changes to parent visas - possibly even stopping them altogether in favour of long term temporary visas or a lottery system 

On 19/08/2023 at 11:45, Dhaya said:

Hello Friends,

I have lodged my Mother in law contributory 143 visa on 15th June 2017 - What is the time frame? now they wanted to come under visitor visa to see us? IMMI site shows currently processing until May 2017 - Can we get any sooner or Will have to wait for one more year?

IMG_4955.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I don’t think anyone could tell you! . Currently new applications made from January  2023 are likely to take between 12-15 years due to the fact there are around 85000 already in the queue and only 6800 grants per year. 

Its not just  the actual condition that could cause failure to pass medical,  it’s also whether the costs of treating it would cost more than $51000 over a period of 5-10 years. 

Also the govt has carried out a review into parent visas and will be making an announcement later this year. It’s possible there  could be a raft of changes to parent visas - possibly even stopping them altogether in favour of long term temporary visas or a lottery system 

Thank you for replying Linda,im 54yrs working with adults with intellectual disabilities for over 20yrs  would I be able to get sponsored in that field as I have read that there is a chronic shortage of skilled people in that area

2 minutes ago, Antoinette said:

Thank you for replying Linda,im 54yrs working with adults with intellectual disabilities for over 20yrs  would I be able to get sponsored in that field as I have read that there is a chronic shortage of skilled people in that area

You’d need to Speak to an agent. @Alan Collett posts here often and gives very good advice. I understand you can  arrange a short freebie chat with him for a basic outline of what is possible. 

4 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

You’d need to Speak to an agent. @Alan Collett posts here often and gives very good advice. I understand you can  arrange a short freebie chat with him for a basic outline of what is possible. 

Thanks Linda,I will follow that up.I fly over from Ireland every year to see my daughter I just hope to be there when she has children as my daughter and he partner would like me to support them with childcare with her partner been in the navy hes away for months at a time

2 hours ago, Antoinette said:

Hi everyone,I applied for 143 visa in May 2023.I got diagnosed with Primary Billinary Cholangitis ( autoimmune liver condition) last year and on medication for same.Im in good health otherwise,will my application fail due to my condition?

I think it’s way too early to be worrying about that because you can’t change it. It will be many years before you are asked to do a medical and your condition may have worsened by then or you may have new ones.  That’s the same for us all.  What you have at 54 and what you will have in your late 60’s is likely to be different.  Therefore, as much as you’d like to know you’re in the clear I can’t see that anyone can answer that this early in the game.  As hard as it is you just have to go with it.  As for when your daughter has children.  You can always get two 5 year 870 visas which allow you to stay there although you can’t work on those visas which may be an issue at your age.  This would at least cover much of the wait time you have.  In terms of childcare, if you can’t be there to help then there are so many excellent childcare options out there.  I have two grandchildren in two different states in daycare and the facilities are outstanding.  I was lucky enough to see one of them during my last visit and I was blown away.  Open 6.30am to 6.30pm so lots of cover available albeit at an eye watering cost.  Best of luck. 

Edited by Tulip1

32 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I think it’s way too early to be worrying about that because you can’t change it. It will be many years before you are asked to do a medical and your condition may have worsened by then or you may have new ones.  That’s the same for us all.  What you have at 54 and what you will have in your late 60’s is likely to be different.  Therefore, as much as you’d like to know you’re in the clear I can’t see that anyone can answer that this early in the game.  As hard as it is you just have to go with it.  As for when your daughter has children.  You can always get two 5 year 870 visas which allow you to stay there although you can’t work on those visas which may be an issue at your age.  This would at least cover much of the wait time you have.  In terms of childcare, if you can’t be there to help then there are so many excellent childcare options out there.  I have two grandchildren in two different states in daycare and the facilities are outstanding.  I was lucky enough to see one of them during my last visit and I was blown away.  Open 6.30am to 6.30pm so lots of cover available albeit at an eye watering cost.  Best of luck. 

Thank you Tulip,do you know if I can do voluntary work with older people/disability on the 870

1 hour ago, Antoinette said:

Thank you Tulip,do you know if I can do voluntary work with older people/disability on the 870

I’m not sure.  Best to check with a migrant agent. I think you can in certain situations and that’s the same for caring for your family.  There’s something about you can do that for a period of time but I’ve no idea what that period of time is.  As per what LindaH27 said, best to reach out to a good migrant agent.   She mentions Alan Collett who is a highly regarded agent that regularly posts on here.  He was my agent for my recently obtained 143 visa and he was excellent.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I’m not sure.  Best to check with a migrant agent. I think you can in certain situations and that’s the same for caring for your family.  There’s something about you can do that for a period of time but I’ve no idea what that period of time is.  As per what LindaH27 said, best to reach out to a good migrant agent.   She mentions Alan Collett who is a highly regarded agent that regularly posts on here.  He was my agent for my recently obtained 143 visa and he was excellent.  

Many thanks for your kind words.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2023 at 16:04, Tulip1 said:

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and congrats on the visa.

14 hours ago, Leon-oracle said:

Hi All

i lodged my 143 parent visa early May 2017 and have had no correspondence from dept of immigration. 

14 hours ago, Leon-oracle said:

on the immi website for 143 visa it says

Lodged/queued up to May 2017

Can I contact them to ask?

thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I have some news but I've been doing this timeline for a couple of months and I thought it might be interesting to some.

28/04/2017 - 864 visa application acknowledged

October 2018 - BVB granted

20/08/2022 - BVB granted

27/03/2023 - Request for further information

27/03/2023 - AFP check requested

31/03/2023 - BUPA medical

06/04/2023 - AoS application sent to Centrelink - the estimated action date was 17/05/2023

07/04/2023 -  UK police ceck requested by email because their website had been cyber attacked.

21/04/2023 - UK police check completed

24/04/2023 - AFP check completed

30/05/2023 - Request from Centrelink for the bank guarantee - to be done in 14 days

05/06/2023 - Bank guarantee and relevant documents uploaded to Centrelink  - luckily we had an acknowedgement

26/06/2023 - AoS rejected. The documents hadn't been submitted in the required time. They had. See above. We had to visit a Centrelink office becaue the phone line wouldn't work. After a struggle they agreed to help and acknowledged all the information was there, and on time.

29/06/2023 - Aos accepted

31/08/2023 - Request for 2nd VAC

31/08/2023 - 2nd VAC paid

01/09/2023 - 864 VISA GRANTED.

So it's been a long haul but here I am now with PR. Next step  citizenship I hope. 

I want to say huge thanks to Go Matilda for their help with my application, and an especially big thank you to Sarah who has held my hand, metaphorically, through these last nervous months. Good luck to everyone who is waiting.

Lesley

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 4

31 minutes ago, LesleyT said:

I have some news but I've been doing this timeline for a couple of months and I thought it might be interesting to some.

20/08/2022 - BVB granted

06/04/2023 - AoS application sent to Centrelink - the estimated action date was 17/05/2023

07/04/2023 -  UK police ceck requested by email because their website had been cyber attacked.

30/05/2023 - Request from Centrelink for the bank guarantee - to be done in 14 days

05/06/2023 - Bank guarantee and relevant documents uploaded to Centrelink  - luckily we had an acknowedgement

26/06/2023 - AoS rejected. The documents hadn't been submitted in the required time. They had. See above. We had to visit a Centrelink office becaue the phone line wouldn't work. After a struggle they agreed to help and acknowledged all the information was there, and on time.

So it's been a long haul but here I am now with PR. Next step  citizenship I hope. 

I want to say huge thanks to Go Matilda for their help with my application, and an especially big thank you to Sarah who has held my hand, metaphorically, through these last nervous months. Good luck to everyone who is waiting.

Lesley

Congratulations Lesley ! Sounds like it’s been a rough ride but you finally got there! 
I know that to get citizenship you have to be in Australia for 4 years and have PR. Do they count the time you’ve already spent in Australia whilst waiting for 864 or is it 4 years PR needed? 

1 hour ago, LesleyT said:

20/08/2022 - BVB granted

Lesley

Many thanks for asking us to help, Lesley.

Happy day!

Best wishes.

4 hours ago, LesleyT said:

20/08/2022 - BVB granted

Lesley

The team at Go Matilda are excellent.  Nothing was too much trouble for them when I was waiting for my visa.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Dandan said:

Hi everyone. I applied in Aug 2021. May I know what's the timeline for receiving the queue date? Thanks in advance. 

It's on the Department website ... https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates

Best regards.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Abul Rivzi (ex-Department of Immigration) always writes an interesting article ...

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/questions-loom-over-mooted-parent-visa-reforms,17967

Best regards.

One of the major problems in recent years is the 804 visa. It allows elderly people to just move over and wait in Australia for the rest of their life. The numbers applying for that have greatly increased in the last few years partly because  of the long wait for the contributory visa, partly because some countries have a cultural need to look after their parents and also partly because some cannot afford the costs of the contributory visa. People from one of 11 countries  can get reciprocal health care too which adds to the costs for the Australian taxpayer - and it is probably really only meant to cover visitors rather than long stay . The article also mentions that if people become ill enough to go to hospital then they will be treated but obviously will incur a cost - and it appears from the article that a lot cannot pay and it therefore remains a debt to the government. It’s no surprise therefore that the  cost of an elderly parent is averaged out at $400k. Private health insurance is mentioned but will obviously be expensive for older parents with varied health conditions - and it will no doubt increase every year. What  happens then when it becomes too expensive for some elderly parents to maintain that  insurance?  The Press would have a field day if Australia  attempted to remove those parents! 

I’ve no real idea of the best way to proceed. It may be better to call a halt to new offshore applications for  a while, close off onshore applications and restrict  the reciprocal health care agreement to short term visitors only. The problem then arises of the  best way to clear the existing backlog. Whether to increase the quota for a few years, restrict reciprocal care and bite the bullet on those costs , and thereafter only allow long term fully self funded visas. That way it could be short term pain for long term gain - but with an election  coming in possibly 2025 who knows how all this would sound to the Australian voters? 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 3