Guest guest36187

50 minutes ago, ramot said:

In the case of the parent visa, the applicants are so much older, and should they have the hope of joining their families taken away from them,  there could be some sad reactions and out comes.

I'm not suggesting that abolition/suspension should be retrospective. That would be even more cruel.  Just that no new applications should be accepted.  If that is going to dash people's hopes, at least it's clear before they start the process and everyone will know where they stand. 

If a rumour gets out before the change occurs, and there's a stampede of applications, it will still be better than letting the status quo drag on.  

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not suggesting that abolition/suspension should be retrospective. That would be even more cruel.  Just that no new applications should be accepted.  If that is going to dash people's hopes, at least it's clear before they start the process and everyone will know where they stand. 

If a rumour gets out before the change occurs, and there's a stampede of applications, it will still be better than letting the status quo drag on.  

Sorry Marisa I know you weren’t  suggesting that awful possibility,

I was merely pointing out what sadly the government actually did in 2010?  to all the students who had done everything right, had completed their studies living here and already paid for their visa applications, and , were now faced with the prospect of being sent home, through no fault of their own. That was cruel, but as we know governments don’t care.and can do what they like.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

Bit of a stretch to say being sent home to your parents is cruel.

I'm sure governments do things from time to time that could be considered mean or cruel. Sending students home is not really one of them.

People should know it is priveledge to be allowed to migrate to another country permanently. It is not a god given right.

The reason countries allow migration generally is to add to the country and to fulfil a need. If there is no need and no prospect of work for the students after they graduate, as happened with Covid, then the government is not going to need people to fulfill workforce requirements.

Edited by Parley

12 minutes ago, suelear said:

Alan Collett, you have more information and insight than the rest of us. What is your take on this?

Hi Sue.

I can't respond meaningfully presently - I have a significant workflow at the moment, and must attend to my fee paying clients.

Sorry!

Best regards.

• Like 2

One of the main problems - and it’s Australia’s own fault - is that the uncertainty and delay surrounding offshore visas has led to an absolute boom in 804, especially from China and India who are the top two nations applying for parental visas. UK is third on the list but by quite a big margin. 
Obviously it’s allowed so people will take advantage of that.. But - all those people have to be late sixties in order to even qualify for an onshore visa. So as they all age further Australia is going to face a lot of problems. Most will have to have private health care but that is increasingly expensive and doesn’t always cover certain problems like heart and vascular. Even if people have reciprocal health care it’s going to cost Australia big bucks! It is also discriminatory as it allows elderly applicants to wait onshore whereas younger 143 applicants could still have some working life in them but  have to wait offshore or get temporary visas which do not allow work  

Australia needs to stop the onshore visas now whilst obviously keeping those already waiting. For those waiting offshore, a temporary halt is needed whilst they decide what to do going forward, whether that means increasing the fees or going to a lottery system. They can’t really start a lottery system whilst there is a backlog because it would be unfair for those who have already been waiting years. They may have to bite the  bullet and  temporarily increase the quotas to get rid of the backlog and then start anew with a lottery system - short term pain for long term gain maybe?  I don’t have the answer and really don’t envy the politicians trying to sort out the mess that has been allowed to develop 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I submitted my application in Aug 2021. I know that I'll have to wait to be queued, but just want to check if I'll be required to submit any documents or medical test when the time comes or will the department just notify me of the queue date? Thanks in advance. 

On 02/08/2023 at 17:21, suelear said:

Alan Collett, you have more information and insight than the rest of us. What is your take on this?

Hi again Sue.

FYI I've exchanged messages with Peter Mares with my thoughts - only time will tell as to what eventuates with parent visa processing ...

Best regards.

11 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

... assuming all required documents have been submitted to the Department.

Not having done so can push you backwards relative to other parent visa applications.

Best regards.

Luckily you are dealing with our application, Alan.  

Edited by MillieB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

I believe Govt have already been in various consultations in May and June and will be making announcements “later this year”

The long wait “for decades” only applies to two of the visas - 103 and 804,  one of which (804)  only makes small contributions but has the huge benefit of being allowed to live onshore during the wait and most seem very happy with that. 103 unfortunately has to wait offshore, which is cruel as it takes the same length of wait time as 804

Its the contributory visas that lose out - big contributions and forced to wait offshore but the articles never seem to make that clear 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, tostar said:

Yes, a typo! Meant May 2017 applications

Well they’ve started May 2017  but as May and June 2017 have around 9000 applications it’s still  going to take a long time. In fact there are some applicants from February 2017 and later months still waiting  for their grant.   
There  does seem to have been a general slow down in grants despite  a new financial year starting 1st July. It almost feels as though there’s a “go slow”  until the govt announcement about the future of parent visas later this year - perhaps in the budget in October 

Edited by LindaH27

On 27/07/2023 at 14:15, LindaH27 said:

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info  

I (like many) am not sure what is going on at present. Social  media shows some parents still waiting on December 2016 applications whereas some have reported getting grants for May 2017! One well known agent has said their company has actually received requests for further docs for June 2017 applicants 

Given that’s it’s a new financial year there’s usually a flurry of grants at this time - yet it’s very quiet. We know immi can work quickly given how many they got through since the numbers were increased late last year. I know that the govt has said they will announce changes “later this year” after the recent review.  

It doesn’t look or sound very promising so far, especially since  there’s been no mention of any increase in the quota. 

I would appreciate your thoughts on this thanks 

Hello Friends,

I have lodged my Mother in law contributory 143 visa on 15th June 2017 - What is the time frame? now they wanted to come under visitor visa to see us? IMMI site shows currently processing until May 2017 - Can we get any sooner or Will have to wait for one more year?

On 15/08/2023 at 16:57, Alan Collett said:

Hi again Sue.

FYI I've exchanged messages with Peter Mares with my thoughts - only time will tell as to what eventuates with parent visa processing ...

Best regards.

Thanks Alan,

I, and I’m sure many others appreciate your constant efforts to support parents in the visa process.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2023 at 20:45, Dhaya said:

Hello Friends,

I have lodged my Mother in law contributory 143 visa on 15th June 2017 - What is the time frame? now they wanted to come under visitor visa to see us? IMMI site shows currently processing until May 2017 - Can we get any sooner or Will have to wait for one more year?

Patience!

All good things come to those who wait!

They can apply for a subclass 870 visa maybe ...?

Best regards.

• Like 1

My parents got the visa 143 granted today after 6 years and 3 months waiting. Thank you the group for useful information. All the best to everyone waiting for the visa. Hope you will get it soon.

Here’s our timelines for your reference

Application date: 3/5/2017

Acknowlegement date: 13/5/2017

Asking for further documentation including police check, aos and health check: 13/3/2023

Completed police check and health check:29/3/2023

Aos submitted, approved and paid: 26/4/2024

Received VAC2 request and paid: Friday 18/8/2023

Visa granted:  Monday 21/8/2023

• Congratulations 1