Your one word that separates the UK from Australia

Red Rose

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

Good, the more they destroy the better.  Illegal to catch and return in Lake Burley Griffin.

Cracks me up, the dirty water in rivers has more to do with. Crappy development, water rights going to large corporate farms, people hooning up and down waterways in jet skis, boats etc.

2 minutes ago, Gary H said:

Cracks me up, the dirty water in rivers has more to do with. Crappy development, water rights going to large corporate farms, people hooning up and down waterways in jet skis, boats etc.

Not In Burley Griffin it isn’t. 

7 hours ago, calNgary said:

What do you mean by an underground thing?

Her in QLD they have competitions etc for who can catch the most as they want them out of the waterways.

Cal x

The first crap cull comp was on the Albert River, I do believe. The comp realized 4 tonnes of crap that was given to Charlie Carp fertilizer. They, in turn, donated a few hundred bass fingerlings to enrich the Albert River. A couple of comps were on the Logan River, as well.

Alas, it is no more due to high insurance costs.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bobj said:

The first crap cull comp was on the Albert River, I do believe. The comp realized 4 tonnes of crap that was given to Charlie Carp fertilizer. They, in turn, donated a few hundred bass fingerlings to enrich the Albert River. A couple of comps were on the Logan River, as well.

Alas, it is no more due to high insurance costs.

Cheers, Bobj.

They do them like a family day now, prize for who catches the heaviest,longest,most etc. 

Cal x

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well you all taken a completely different interpretation to "Your one word that separates the UK from Australia" that I did when I read the title of this thread. The word that jumped out to me was "Pasta". Because Australian don't know how to pronounce it.

5 hours ago, Ken said:

Well you all taken a completely different interpretation to "Your one word that separates the UK from Australia" that I did when I read the title of this thread. The word that jumped out to me was "Pasta". Because Australian don't know how to pronounce it.

They do add an r in it for some reason but in fairness those like me who are from the south of England are guilty of doing that with some words.  It’s grarse not grass in my garden and windows are glarse not glass.  We all have some funny ways.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

They do add an r in it for some reason but in fairness those like me who are from the south of England are guilty of doing that with some words.  It’s grarse not grass in my garden and windows are glarse not glass.  We all have some funny ways.

In the UK there are nearly 40 dialects and goodness knows how many different accents.  When I was growing up and playing with my pals we spoke in the local dialect.   Probably incomprehensible to some people.  I know it was to some of my cousins from England.

• Like 1

Lightbulb . When we were first here, a  ‘globe’ light shade broke, my husband went to buy a replacement and was shown ‘what we call lightbulbs’. He explained the size of globe he needed and got a bit angry when told they didn’t come in that size. Light slowly dawned!! 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2021 at 17:47, Perthbum said:

history

So you refuse to go into any pub in Britain unless it was built before 1788?

Most of the pubs I loved going to in England were built In the 20th century. 

And you regard history post 1788 as being irrelevant and uninteresting?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

So you refuse to go into any pub in Britain unless it was built before 1788?

Most of the pubs I loved going to in England were built In the 20th century. 

And you regard history post 1788 as being irrelevant and uninteresting?

My, you're in a belligerent mood today. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

My, you're in a belligerent mood today. 

Well, he did say that "history" separates UK pubs from Aussie pubs which means the only pubs he likes were built pre 1788.

My main local in Marchwood was built in the 1980s so PB would not like it!

On 28/07/2021 at 03:13, Tulip1 said:

How do you pronounce castle ?

I am used to the the Australian pronunciation. Yoghurt, Vitamins, Privacy etc sound funny to me pronounced your way now.

55 minutes ago, Parley said:

How do you pronounce castle ?

I am used to the the Australian pronunciation. Yoghurt, Vitamins, Privacy etc sound funny to me pronounced your way now.

The poms can't agree on how to pronounce things, so it's a bit rich them complaining about other people.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1