Your one word that separates the UK from Australia

Red Rose

On 15/12/2020 at 03:13, Amber Snowball said:

Bignightsky

all one word! 😂

Love the night sky in country Australia. See the milky way, makes you feel so insignificant. Amazing.

Spent 4 years working shift up in the Brindabella's.  On night shift I could see the satellites we were tracking pass over us.  So clear especially in the winter. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lavers said:

😂😂yeah they are annoying. I have to go on a killing spree every evening before going to bed.

Not long after arriving in Australia I took the dog for a walk along the foreshore at Torquay and had a bright blue shirt on. I had to turn back early as the shirt was black. I was absolutely covered, couldn’t shift them. 🙈🙈

I had a mortein auto spray for indoors at the last house, that worked a treat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Not long after arriving in Australia I took the dog for a walk along the foreshore at Torquay and had a bright blue shirt on. I had to turn back early as the shirt was black. I was absolutely covered, couldn’t shift them. 🙈🙈

I had a mortein auto spray for indoors at the last house, that worked a treat.

Just bought a hat from Kathmandu which claims to be mozzie/fly repellent. From my limited use of it, it seems to work to keep the little buggers from buzzing around my head - WIN!  Also bought one of those mozzie repellent bracelets - doesn't seem to stop something from buying my ankle though! 

• Like 1

Just now, Quoll said:

Just bought a hat from Kathmandu which claims to be mozzie/fly repellent. From my limited use of it, it seems to work to keep the little buggers from buzzing around my head - WIN!  Also bought one of those mozzie repellent bracelets - doesn't seem to stop something from buying my ankle though! 

Had one of the net things that goes on a hat, that helped. Flies and their dogged persistence was a long learning curve for me, I’m a slow learner 😂. Mouthfuls of the beggers at the 12 apostles. Flies have the capacity to ruin many a nice day.

They do bite. Mozzies weren’t too much of an issue for me over there. My mum had times when she would get bitten during the night on her face and she couldn’t open her eyes they were so swollen. 🙈

• Sad 1

@Lavers, that's why people have fly screens on their windows and doors.   I guess you're renting at the moment, but when you buy, get them installed - it makes a huge difference.  If you're going to be renting long term, you can get magnetic ones

https://magneticflyscreen.com.au/

Otherwise, get yourself a Mozzie Zapper and leave it on at night, works a charm:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/93358/mortein-mozzie-zapper-odourless

• Like 2

Apart from being badly bitten by mozzies around Bunbury WA, i can't remember being bothered by them anywhere else - never seen them where we live now.  Flies were awful in WA and just horrible at Alice Springs and Uluru.  Swarms of the extremely persistent little buggers.  Flies here are at their worst in January but nothing like the ones in WA.  Fly screen doors and windows are a must at that time of year.

4 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Had one of the net things that goes on a hat, that helped. Flies and their dogged persistence was a long learning curve for me, I’m a slow learner 😂. Mouthfuls of the beggers at the 12 apostles. Flies have the capacity to ruin many a nice day.

They do bite. Mozzies weren’t too much of an issue for me over there. My mum had times when she would get bitten during the night on her face and she couldn’t open her eyes they were so swollen. 🙈

Havent got a net (yet) - this hat is impregnated with fly repellent which apparently lasts 70 domestic washes. Ah yes, I remember the 12 bloody apostles - never seen quite so many as I did that day but walking in the bush (or even the suburbs) around here is bad enough when you think they are trying to get into any and every orifice you've got!  

Before we moved to Australia we walked up the Pennine Way and there was one particularly bad fly day and my DH said "if you're ever going to live in Australia you're going to have to sort out that fly reaction you have".  So I went to a psychiatrist, hoping for some hypnotherapy.  His first question - yes, literally - was "how is your sex life"  at that point I decided that I would just have to live with the damned flies!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@Lavers, that's why people have fly screens on their windows and doors.   I guess you're renting at the moment, but when you buy, get them installed - it makes a huge difference.  If you're going to be renting long term, you can get magnetic ones

https://magneticflyscreen.com.au/

Otherwise, get yourself a Mozzie Zapper and leave it on at night, works a charm:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/93358/mortein-mozzie-zapper-odourless

I've got screens on my windows but not on the doors. We have a bi-fold door which doesnt help.

Think I need to invest in the plug in zappers 👍

On 18/12/2020 at 05:53, Lavers said:

😂😂yeah they are annoying. I have to go on a killing spree every evening before going to bed.

Plenty of flies in the UK too, but the ones here just don't know when to f*** off!

Flies not an issue up here - one of the few advantages of Queensland's humidity. I'm guessing they must have enough to drink without the need to land one people's faces 🤔

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 03:49, MARYROSE02 said:

So your one word is "quaint?" Yes, now I come to think of it, Australia is more quaint than the UK!!!! You have "cheated" too, using two words, not one  -  quaint and charm!?

Ho ho ho...yes all that quaint concrete and quaint colourbond fencing ...I almost forgot just how quaint it was to live in a garage with a tin roof with a tiny cramped burned out garden in a quaint sprawling concrete suburb of nothingness in baking heat, isolated so far away from the whole world.

Edited by Home and Happy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Ho ho ho...yes all that quaint concrete and quaint colourboand fencing ...I almost forgot just how quaint it was to live in a garage with a tin roof with a tiny cramped burned out garden in a quaint sprawling concrete suburb of nothingness in baking heat, isolated so far away from the whole world.

Well, you could have lived in say, a terrace house in Surry Hills, Sydney, with, yes a tin roof (but not not the Nissen hut/ramshackle hen coop one associates the word in the UK) ornate ironwork and balconies unlike anything I've ever seen in the UK.

Or lived on a beach as I am doing now, looking up briefly from my keyboard to watch the waves pound on the sand.

What made you pick the place you describe? Needs must?  Have you moved back to live in a tower block in a "scheme?" 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

..I almost forgot just how quaint it was to live in a garage with a tin roof with a tiny cramped burned out garden in a quaint sprawling concrete suburb of nothingness in baking heat, isolated so far away from the whole world.

Considering how many much nicer houses there are in towns and cities all across Australia, if you chose that to live in, you have only yourself to blame.

I could find plenty of comparable hovels in parts of the UK if I wanted to.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Ho ho ho...yes all that quaint concrete and quaint colourbond fencing ...I almost forgot just how quaint it was to live in a garage with a tin roof with a tiny cramped burned out garden in a quaint sprawling concrete suburb of nothingness in baking heat, isolated so far away from the whole world.

You just chose the wrong suburb and house.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Well, you could have lived in say, a terrace house in Surry Hills, Sydney, with, yes a tin roof (but not not the Nissen hut/ramshackle hen coop one associates the word in the UK) ornate ironwork and balconies unlike anything I've ever seen in the UK.

Or lived on a beach as I am doing now, looking up briefly from my keyboard to watch the waves pound on the sand.

What made you pick the place you describe? Needs must?  Have you moved back to live in a tower block in a "scheme?" 

You riled Home and Happy because you stated Australia was quaint in an earlier post.  You were being sarcastic but H&H pounced on your statement as he/she just needs any old excuse to denigrate his/her dreadful life and living circumstances whilst living in Perth.  Same old same old.  😴

• Like 1