Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Ken last won the day on September 28 2016

Ken had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

672 Excellent

1 Follower

About Ken

  • Rank
    PIO Chatter Box

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Ken

    Off Topic Coronavirus 2020

    Stadium events were only banned in Australia from 16th March which was some 6 weeks after COVID-19 began spreading in Australia (the F1 event 13th-15th March was cancelled but other events continued that weekend). I think the OP might be referring to the harm those events did before they were shut down.
  2. Ken

    Off Topic Coronavirus 2020

    The death rate in Australia for those who catch it is about 1.5% and it's been fairly consistent at that level throughout (although there was a period when it couldn't be measured because some states weren't publishing figures for those who had recovered). Latest figures:- 102 deaths / (102 deaths + 6,506 recovered) Worldwide it's almost 14% 345K deaths / (345K deaths + 2.17M recovered)
  3. I can't keep up with the names of all these new designer drugs. Are they anything like MDMA?
  4. Ken

    The (all new) Brexit Thread

    Perhaps they've realised that the only reason there is a staff shortage is because these jobs have salaries below $25600 pa? Employers seem happy to grasp the laws of supply and demand when it means they can sell things at higher prices but as soon as it means they need to pay a proper wage they go running to ask the government to help. Perhaps they want the laws that abolished the slave trade to be repealed too?
  5. Ken

    Off Topic Coronavirus 2020

    They may be selling quickly but the volume of sales has plummeted. For example last weekend realestate.com.au recorded 50 auction sales and 695 non-auction sales in Mebourne which is only about 50% of the number of house sales there were a year ago (when you could have expected over 400 auction sales and almost 1,000 non-auction sales).
  6. Ken

    The (all new) Brexit Thread

    That's because the UK's manufacturing sector is so tiny there was hardly anything left to contract. On the top of that comparing April to March or February might be more relevant for the UK considering how late the shutdown was introduced.
  7. Ken

    Off Topic Coronavirus 2020

    No, let's twist the tail. There are Chinese companies in Australia producing goods specifically for the Chinese market (one example is brands of baby formula that have never been sold in Australia). Let's cancel their export licences just for the fun of it (well because of a hygiene infraction that makes their product unsafe - perhaps the "CONTAINS MILK" warning is printed too small).
  8. Ken

    The (all new) Brexit Thread

    Reminds me of something that's puzzled me for years. If the US is so anti-Chinese how come Apple is allowed to sell Chinese made products (such as iPhones) in the US?
  9. Ken

    Off Topic Coronavirus 2020

    But what's the real benefit of the University sector being a large earner of foreign income when it doesn't pay tax? I know the students will spend money elsewhere, but students are rarely big spenders so the impact of their spending on other sectors isn't going to be great - with the exception of accommodation near the universities and there the impact is often seen as detrimental on home students and others who need rental accommodation.
  10. That doesn't mean you have to remain with the same employer.
  11. Although your employer needed to nominate you to get your permanent visa, once your permanent visa has been granted there's nothing tying you to your employer other than your contract of employment. Sure they can try to hold you to a 2-year contract but I've never heard of an employer being successful against Fair Work for that length.
  12. Ken

    Are you downloading COVIDSafe app ?

    I'm not fussed by the privacy issues but am worried about how much of my phone memory this App will take up. My phone has a very small memory (there's a huge amount on the SD card but Apps can't use that) and is constantly asking me to delete Apps to make more space. Anyone else have the same problem?
  13. Ken

    The (all new) Brexit Thread

    So is the collapse in the trade talks down to the EU trying to tie matters that have nothing to do with trade (such as fishing rights) to the trade deal or was there actually a difference in agreement on the terms of the trade deal itself?
  14. Ken

    4 items to be shipped- tiny amount!

    Our mate is only available in tiny jars so works out very expensive compared to the large jars in the UK. Consequently if you've got space (and weight) in your luggage it makes sense to bring it with you, but if you have to pay shipping or excess luggage charges for it you'll lose all the saving.
  15. Ken

    4 items to be shipped- tiny amount!

    SevenSeas https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com I've only used their move cube but they also do just boxes and individual items (such as rocking chairs).