Guest guest36187

39 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Why? What makes you all special? This is an international tragedy which has killed thousands and threatens to ruin the lives of millions.  Immigration needs to look after its own citizens not the citizens of other countries who may want to move here. They’re not in the business of family reunion as a priority, nor should they be.  With all due respects, elderly parents are not a bonus for Australia.  I’d rather they got things sorted and working for Australians before they bother about others coming in - Sorry! 

Such a heartless response. And the majority of 143 applicants are not Elderly!  Australia have to open borders at some point, why not to visa applicants first? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lady Jane said:

Such a heartless response. And the majority of 143 applicants are not Elderly!  Australia have to open borders at some point, why not to visa applicants first? 

Thank you, Being a physiotherapist myself i know this is going to go on for a while and this whole thing the gift from china  is a disease in itself  it does affect people with primary ailments but it is not as dangerous as other diseases we come across in medical field.With proper precautions,there can be a way for countries to bring in flights but sad people are so feared and the economies will be ruined even more in a year if this stays like this,and to people who dont care about my previous post maybe your priorities are different,No one is special,if human world could understand the psychology of other person speaking maybe this world would become even better

Edited by nitz
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Why? What makes you all special? This is an international tragedy which has killed thousands and threatens to ruin the lives of millions.  Immigration needs to look after its own citizens not the citizens of other countries who may want to move here. They’re not in the business of family reunion as a priority, nor should they be.  With all due respects, elderly parents are not a bonus for Australia.  I’d rather they got things sorted and working for Australians before they bother about others coming in - Sorry! 

There’s nothing quite like a pandemic for bringing out the best (and worst) in people.

• Like 6

It could be a long time before Australian borders open to potential new visa holders in any category. At the moment current Australian citizens and permanent residents who are overseas are struggling to return to Australia due to lack of flights, restrictions on the numbers allowed to land in each state and enter quarantine each day, and costs of both flights and 14 day mandatory hotel quarantine. Australian citizens and permanent residents already in Australia are unable to leave Australia to travel overseas, and in many cases can’t even travel interstate to visit family. Recent COVID escalations in Melbourne linked to breaches of hotel quarantine make it even less likely that border restrictions will be relaxed anytime soon.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, purplealster said:

Wow! Funny THIS!! A pom who in one of their very first threads posted about being desperately homesick yet being 'stuck' here, because her one son was staying here with the only grandchild. Who then berates someone for wanting similar family circumstances for themselves. Seriously! Life is hard enough at the moment as it is - if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. My mum is in the queue for a 143 and whilst covid is a concern, she is also in a country which has just had 4 cities rated as being in the top 10 dangerous in the world. Aside of me being worried about her getting covid or getting ill, the chance of rape and murder are exceptionally high and permanent visa aside, I can't get to here if God forbid one of the above occurs. So think of that when you are safe and snug in your safe bed, in your safe suburb in your safe country!! 

You missed the point - we are in the middle of an international situation and everyone is affected yet somehow the applicants for 143 visas see themselves as special and want the immigration minister to dance to their tune. It was a naive request. Sorry about your mum, yes I really do feel for you, However I am a little intolerant at this point - the virus is stopping lots of us doing lots of things we want to - like I can’t go to my dads funeral in UK on Thursday. It is what is is. But posting - please let the Immigration minister know that 143 visa applicants are suffering - Is a waste of time and energy, he has other priorities.  All visa categories are affected, all departures and arrivals are affected and when the time comes there will have to be priorities and I doubt 143 will be a high priority in the rebuilding of the nation.

• Like 4

I can completely understand what Quoll is saying and I say that as a parent waiting in the 143 queue.  We are very fortunate that Australia has such a thing as a parent visa, many countries do not. I do worry about the effect Covid is having on the issuing of visas, or lack of issuing. That said, of course we aren’t their priority. They have to look after their own citizens and permanent residents first and consider the terrible effect the current situation is having on the economy and job losses.  We may want to be near to our families but that’s not the Australian governments fault. I have always fully supported my kids moving there and I wouldn’t change a thing. But....we need to be clear here. The reason parents are so desperate to get the visa is because their children left and moved to another country, that’s not Australia’s fault and they owe us nothing.  They have to think of their own citizens before strangers from elsewhere.  I understand if some on here have parents that are living in a high risk country and I am thankful I live in a lovely safe country but again,  it’s not their fault Covid happened. Believe me, I am just like all the frustrated people on here wishing that queue would keep going down as quick as possible but I understand why it’s not happening and it’s impossible to be angry with immigration about it right now. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

We are very fortunate that Australia has such a thing as a parent visa, many countries do not. ...We may want to be near to our families but that’s not the Australian governments fault. I have always fully supported my kids moving there and I wouldn’t change a thing. But....we need to be clear here. The reason parents are so desperate to get the visa is because their children left and moved to another country, that’s not Australia’s fault and they owe us nothing.  .

Exactly this.   The bottom line is that it's members of the family who made the choice to separate, and it's not the government's job to accommodate that.   For British families where the children have moved to Australia, there is an easy solution if they're missing each other so much - the children can move back.   The idea that Australia gives them "a better life" or "a brighter future" is just rubbish, as evidenced by the many families who have moved back and are delighted to have done so (you can find plenty of them on the forums here).  Life in Australia is different, not better or worse. 

I do sympathise with people whose children have married an Aussie, because one set of parents must lose out - and it's always the British parents, because there is no visa for Australian parents to move to the UK.  I also sympathise with migrants who have escaped from dangerous or poverty-stricken countries, because it's natural to want to bring your parents to safety, too.  But it's the same the world over - all countries want skilled migrants, but they don't want the burden of extended family.  That's the way the world works.

• Like 5

Irrespective of which visa any applicant is applying for, that is the only visa that matters to them, so you can loose sight of how many applicants are in the same position, and I feel equal sympathy for everyone whose life is on hold at the moment, including residents who can’t return at the moment.

A big misconception is that the government cares about individuals wanting to emigrate to Australia, they don’t!  In fact why should they, All of us who want to emigrate here make up our own mind to apply, and hope it works out.

This pandemic is unprecedented, but it’s not the first time the government has kept potential immigrants waiting for visas.

Just my family has had its  fair share of worrying and waiting for visas since We first applied in 2002 for our retirement visa. That was straight forward, but initially we had to re apply every 2 years to stay here, which was worrying as we had committed to live here. Not complaining we knew the conditions when we applied. Eventually changed to every 10 years. Luckily after 16 years we got our 143 visa last year.

Our son came the student visa route, applied for PR, in 2009 ? everything front loaded, should have been through in a month, but one week later the government introduced retrospective changes, and he was on a bridging visa for  31/2 years. He was one of the lucky ones who got PR, thousands waited as long if not longer, but were refused and had to leave. 

Our daughter met her partner here while on a WHV, spent months on the dreadful bridging visa C, not allowed to work or leave the country. 

We have had our fair share of a mix of worry and anger at the governments immigration policies, but realistically it was our decision to apply to live here, Australia didn’t ask us to come, so they do have the right to make the rules.

• Like 6

Some of the people on this thread  are like a friend (now ex) I once had - was very happy to stick his hand out for LAFHA yet when he became a PR campaigned against it because why should 'his tax dollars pay for this?!' 

It is funny how most of the people whinging about parents, students and immigrants coming to Australia just happen to be immigrants themselves. Exceptionally hypocritical - pandemic or not. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, purplealster said:

Some of the people on this thread  are like a friend (now ex) I once had - was very happy to stick his hand out for LAFHA yet when he became a PR campaigned against it because why should 'his tax dollars pay for this?!' 

It is funny how most of the people whinging about parents, students and immigrants coming to Australia just happen to be immigrants themselves. Exceptionally hypocritical - pandemic or not. 

I am an immigrant but when I migrated, I had no expectation that I was entitled to bring parents or other family to join me, and never attempted to do so. TBH, I had no idea how many people did feel entitled, until I joined these forums a few years ago. 

Edited by Marisawright

It Might be sensible to get back to the original reason this thread started, which was to support each other, and answer concerns and questions. Accept that posters in the queue are upset and worried , due to conditions out of their control. Otherwise it might degenerate into a bitter thread that will achieve nothing.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, purplealster said:

We should cool this down. No one really whinging, and posts going back and forth can escalate into an unpleasant way.

ps I am actually a parent 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

Quoll,

That’s rather an unkind comment!  Perhaps you’d prefer those of us deprived of seeing our children and grandchildren never to see them again?  We are not even asking to get in free, just to be able to be with our families. 
Nitz has written a letter in an honest attempt to move things along especially for those who have already paid the huge amount of money and are simply waiting for their visa to be issued.
In these troublesome times, surely we can all have some understanding of people’s worries and be kind and supportive to one another!

Edited by Juniper
Typo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kathss56 said:

Phew, congrats. With you being offshore is there any change to you activating visa. If you were to fly in you have to pay for quarantine Yourself now .

Thanks.  We will activate our visa when it save to travel.  I understand that QLD and NSW will charge for the quarantine, we're heading to Melbourne.  Of course, other states will soon follow. 

Just now, AlwaysVet said:

Thanks.  We will activate our visa when it save to travel.  I understand that QLD and NSW will charge for the quarantine, we're heading to Melbourne.  Of course, other states will soon follow. 

Ah well Melbourne having a nightmare again with it all, best stay put for now.  All states charging now. They have reduced number of flights allowed in now. Good luck, you at least have piece of mind it’s gonna happen! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Ah well Melbourne having a nightmare again with it all, best stay put for now.  All states charging now. They have reduced number of flights allowed in now. Good luck, you at least have piece of mind it’s gonna happen! 

I believe if it comes up, it will go down.  They've experienced once, they should know what to do this time.
Yes, having the visa in hand is wonderful.

• Like 1