Guest guest36187

Hello everyone! 😀 I’m doing a thorough research on Visa 143 for my parents. My sister and I got our PRs late 2019 and early 2020 respectively. We’ve been here for 4 years with student and grad visa. Question 1: would that exempt us to the required “2 years settled” clause?

Question 2: the visa payment would be nearly 100k aud, right? When should we be paying this amount? Is it upfront? 

thank you for all your answers 💜

9 minutes ago, someluckyclover said:

Hello everyone! 😀 I’m doing a thorough research on Visa 143 for my parents. My sister and I got our PRs late 2019 and early 2020 respectively. We’ve been here for 4 years with student and grad visa. Question 1: would that exempt us to the required “2 years settled” clause?

I think it probably counts as "settled".  However, just letting you know that the waiting time for a 143 visa is at least 8 years and probably longer, so you need to factor that into your decision.

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

I think it probably counts as "settled".  However, just letting you know that the waiting time for a 143 visa is at least 8 years and probably longer, so you need to factor that into your decision.

Thank you Marisawright. Yes, I am aware of that. Thank goodness my parents are still young and healthy. ❤️

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jellybean T said:

Victory has not even said it will charge.... if they ever open up to passengers. Closed until at least 24th October. So sad for everyone involved.

Thanks.

Will again wait patiently until it's safe to travel.  Just miss our granddaughter.

17 minutes ago, someluckyclover said:

Thank you Marisawright. Yes, I am aware of that. Thank goodness my parents are still young and healthy. ❤️

Good to hear.  Personally, I'd advise them to plan on the basis that they'll be staying in their home country, and plan accordingly - then if they do get the visa, it will be a delightful bonus.  Australia has been steadily making it harder and harder for people to migrate to Australia, so the only thing you can guarantee is that over the next 8-10 years while they're waiting, the rules will change and change again, and the requirements (and the fees) will get higher and higher. Sometimes, existing visa applications are protected from changes, but very often they're not.  All you can do is keep your fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

It is interesting to watch how the various elements of the migration program ebb and flow over the years.

Skilled migration has very much been the focus for the last 15+ years, but now - due to COVID - we are seeing pressure building for this part of the program to be scaled back, and to give Australians the opportunity to re-skill/have the job opportunities that will hopefully come through in the next few years.

By contrast partner migration has been in the news in the last few weeks as queues lengthen and Australian partners and children are being denied time with their partner visa applicant spouses/partners: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/couples-separated-for-years-are-calling-for-change-in-australia-s-partner-visa-system .   

It may well be that the family stream generally - including parent visa applicants - comes to be seen more favourably as we go forward over the next few years.   I estimate some A$2b in VACs waiting to be paid by 143 and 864 visa applicants.  

Might it be that there is a rebalancing of family visas in the next few years as the Government looks to reduce waiting times in an area of the migration program that directly affects so many Australian families that want partners or parents to join them in Australia?

The Government has already said the total program for 2020/21 won't be too far adrift of 2019/20: https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/audio/existing-migration-program-settings-will-continue-to-remain-in-place-says-the-government

If skilled migration isn't going to be at the same level where can the numbers come from other than family visas?

The Federal Budget isn't too far way.   Hopefully there'll be more detail at that time of where the migration program is going as we come out the other side of COVID.

One thing is for certain - what we think will be the situation with visas now won't be the case in 5 years time!

To those who are sitting on the fence my recommendation is to get an application in now.  Just in case the timeline isn't quite as bad as anticipated.

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Alan Collett
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

My daughter has just submitted the application for AOS and they ask that she needs to go into her closest Centrelink to verify her documents and ID. Is anyone at that point now as we not too keen on going into a Centrelink during these times and in addition they give a number to call 132 850 but it doesnt even ring....Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1 hour ago, Lucy Adelaide said:

I am wondering if anyone knows the time frame of the first entry date to validate visa 173?

Is that 1 year since the date of visa granted? 

Thanks 

Same as the 143 - the required initial entry date is 12 months from the earlier of the date of medical examination and the police clearance certificate.

This said the required initial entry date is being policed in a relaxed manner presently due to the COVID border restrictions.

Best regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Same as the 143 - the required initial entry date is 12 months from the earlier of the date of medical examination and the police clearance certificate.

This said the required initial entry date is being policed in a relaxed manner presently due to the COVID border restrictions.

Best regards.

Just out of interest, have there ever been situations in the past where medicals and police checks have needed to be re-done?  

1 minute ago, SusieRoo said:

Just out of interest, have there ever been situations in the past where medicals and police checks have needed to be re-done?  

Yes - in my experience most commonly when visa applicants have delivered health and character clearances before they were requested by the delegate.

Best regards.

2 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Best regards.

Hi Alan is that correct our 143 visa states initial entry one year from grant date 02/06/2020 entry by 02/06/2021 am I missing some other regulation about medical/police certificate ?

5 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

Hi Alan is that correct our 143 visa states initial entry one year from grant date 02/06/2020 entry by 02/06/2021 am I missing some other regulation about medical/police certificate ?

I think you can reasonably accept the generosity of the PVC!   😀

Best wishes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Congratulations 1

Re visit to Centrelink. I visited Centrelink in our earlier lockdown and found their arrangements for distancing inside the office were well thought out. And even though I had to queue to get in(I went early before they actually opened) even the queue was great at regulating itself for distancing. So try it, it might not be as bad as you think.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LesleyT said:

Re visit to Centrelink. I visited Centrelink in our earlier lockdown and found their arrangements for distancing inside the office were well thought out. And even though I had to queue to get in(I went early before they actually opened) even the queue was great at regulating itself for distancing. So try it, it might not be as bad as you think.

Our Centrelink never seems to have a queue as so much is online at the mo!

21 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

To those who are sitting on the fence my recommendation is to get an application in now.  Just in case the timeline isn't quite as bad as anticipated.

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for this @Alan Collett! When should I need to be worried about a certain income threshold as a sponsor for my parents? Will that need to account at the start of the application or 2 years before anticipated settlement of 143 fees?

14 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Hi - Yes I was requested to do an Australian National Police Certificate as part of additional documents required (173 to 143) even though I have not been in Australia a year yet. 

11 minutes ago, someluckyclover said:

Thanks for this @Alan Collett! When should I need to be worried about a certain income threshold as a sponsor for my parents? Will that need to account at the start of the application or 2 years before anticipated settlement of 143 fees?

Are you referring to being an assurer?

There is no income requirement at present for sponsors of subclass 143 visa applications.

See parent visa trackers and look at the time when health and character checks are requested to get a feeling for when the assurance of support is required.

Best regards.

16 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Are you referring to being an assurer?

There is no income requirement at present for sponsors of subclass 143 visa applications.

See parent visa trackers and look at the time when health and character checks are requested to get a feeling for when the assurance of support is required.

Best regards.

Thank you so much @Alan Collett 😊 More blessings to you!

5 hours ago, Rosiejaq said:

Our Centrelink never seems to have a queue as so much is online at the mo!

Lucky managed to get some one on the phone so very helpful and confirmed they are discouraging people going into their offices. They were happy to validate the documents my daughter submitted on mygov. Just waiting for the green light on the validation of ID then will submit application.

On 26/06/2020 at 16:44, nitz said:

Not much difference except you get to pay the payment in two installments rather then paying all at once in visa 143.

And you can be onshore to do it - I did it this way. Cost a bit more ($4260) but was worth it as I have been able to start my new journey whilst applying for permanent residency