Guest guest36187

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

They state they received very high numbers in May and June 2015 

A while ago they were quoting high numbers in May/June 2014 being the reason for the delay - maybe they just keep the same excuse, just adding on a year each time.  Unless of course May and June each year yield a higher number of applications!

• Confused 1

Dear all, I'm extremely glad and excited to inform everyone that my parents have finally received their Parent Contributory Visa yesterday. It took nearly 40+ months to get there but has been a roller coaster ride. Thanks all for great information shared here. HURRAY !! Can't wait to see them now 😊 Good luck everyone in waiting, patience pays off. Cheers

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CPV2015 said:

Dear all, I'm extremely glad and excited to inform everyone that my parents have finally received their Parent Contributory Visa yesterday. It took nearly 40+ months to get there but has been a roller coaster ride. Thanks all for great information shared here. HURRAY !! Can't wait to see them now 😊 Good luck everyone in waiting, patience pays off. Cheers

Congrats! Just waiting for ours to start processing now! 

• Like 3

On 15/10/2018 at 18:05, LindaH27 said:

I’m not sure that’s entirely correct. As long as you don’t have the no further stay on your visa you can apply online in Australia to extend your visa. This information is on the home affairs website. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/visa-about-to-expire/stay-longer

You must have a good reason for wanting to stay, mine was rejected the next day. to get the most out of a 600 visitors visa is to go out, and return the day before the last day of entry, then you will have 12 months from then, but must stay in the country for that 12 months.

6 hours ago, CPV2015 said:

Congrats, long wait is over for you guys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2018 at 22:21, Wishfull said:

We have just been granted a 600 visa and the only restrictions on it are that we cannot work and can only study for up to 3 months. We plan to travel to Australia for Christmas and then stay on and I have a couple of questions:

We will have travel insurance and the UK reciprocal arrangements for medicare, but we plan to take out limited private medical cover for dentist, ambulance cover etc. Has anyone else on a 600 visa taken out private medical cover and if so did you encounter any problems because you were not permanent residents.

We have been granted a multiple entry 600 visa. If, heaven forbid, after 12 months we have still not been granted our 143 visa, do we simply leave the country for a few days and then re-enter with another 12 months stay allowed or do we have to stay out of the country for 6 months before we can re-enter.

Many thanks

Hi Wishfull!  I’m in Brisbane on a 600 visa, with the same conditions as yours.  I had no problem at all in taking out a private extras insurance policy. I went with Hbf which is a not for profit organisation and it was multiple choice on the options I went for.  Note that some categories of cover only allow claims after you have had the policy for 12 months.  Queensland generally doesn’t charge for emergency ambulance if you can show you have a residential address here, but if you intend to travel into other states then it’s definitely worth having a policy.  

Also, when I came out I just took out travel insurance to cover me for the journey to come here.  I didn’t see any benefits of paying for longer travel insurance.  Not many companies cover for a one way trip so be wary!  I can’t remember now which company I used but can look it up if you are interested. 

Do feel free to contact me by private message if you have any specific queries re being in Brisbane on a 600 visa!  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AMP said:

Hi Wishfull!  I’m in Brisbane on a 600 visa, with the same conditions as yours.  I had no problem at all in taking out a private extras insurance policy. I went with Hbf which is a not for profit organisation and it was multiple choice on the options I went for.  

Was that the normal policy or is it the special one for overseas visitors?

https://www.hcf.com.au/overseas-health-cover/overseas-health-insurance/overseas-cover-explained

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Was that the normal policy or is it the special one for overseas visitors?

https://www.hcf.com.au/overseas-health-cover/overseas-health-insurance/overseas-cover-explained

We are long term temporary residents and we can only have very expensive overseas visitors cover. Costs about twice as much for top cover, not complaining it’s the price we pay to live here, but it went up 42%  a few years ago!!! and now about 10% yearly on average, but we get everything covered with no gap to pay. So for a couple of years I have claimed more than the the annual charge.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

On 19/10/2018 at 01:37, CPV2015 said:

Congratulations, one way tickets a weird feeling but brilliant knowing you can see your kids most days. Good luck 

• Like 2

On 16/10/2018 at 23:29, Kathss56 said:

Lucky you. I got the dam lot! Private insurance cost me £800!

Totally frustrating for you Kath and I do feel for you. There really seems to be no logic to the way the 600 visa is allocated and when conditions are applied.  It all just seems to be luck of the draw.  Like Geoff and Gill I left the country and when I came back in my 600 visa was automatically renewed for another 12 months. I then had to apply for a new Medicare card, which is valid until the “must leave” date of this particular visa. 

At least this forum is a particularly good one for members to be able to express their frustrations and anger in safety, with listeners who totally understand what they are going through.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, AMP said:

Totally frustrating for you Kath and I do feel for you. There really seems to be no logic to the way the 600 visa is allocated and when conditions are applied.  It all just seems to be luck of the draw.  Like Geoff and Gill I left the country and when I came back in my 600 visa was automatically renewed for another 12 months. I then had to apply for a new Medicare card, which is valid until the “must leave” date of this particular visa. 

At least this forum is a particularly good one for members to be able to express their frustrations and anger in safety, with listeners who totally understand what they are going through.

Thanks Angela. It as the right time for me to come over with all my circumstances at the time. Processing was 39mths then at descion to apply for 600 so was only going to be 1 month back home. However as we know it’s got longer and longer and longer! Definitely have to go back for 6 months now. I often wonder should I have rented house out, but with little Henry being born, my office closing down, house price has surged,  it was a no brainer back then ! Hope you are well.x

On 15/10/2018 at 15:35, LindaH27 said:

I’m not sure that’s entirely correct. As long as you don’t have the no further stay on your visa you can apply online in Australia to extend your visa. This information is on the home affairs website. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/visa-about-to-expire/stay-longer

Didn’t work for me, I didn’t have the ‘no further stay’ restriction, I applied for an extension paid $348 and it was refused stating that I needed extenuating circumstances and waiting for my parent Visa was not an appropriate reason.

Thus then returned to UK reapplied and was accepted.

I thought you might like to hear about what life is like after the angst and stress of waiting for the visa (143) and the dreaded AOS!

We have now been here, in Oz for the best part of 10 weeks

I spent the first week in a slightly delirious jet-lagged fog. Daughters met us at the airport with big smiles, flowers and balloons. I had always thought that at this point I would burst into tears with relief and pent-up emotion. But I didn’t – far too embarrassing!

Once we got back to daughter’s apartment and had had some breakfast (we landed at 6 a.m) she whisked us off to Coogee Beach to paddle in the ocean. Apparently, it helps to ‘ground’ you and alleviate jet-lag. It was lovely, if freezing   . . . but didn’t work! 

Her apartment is minutes away and the views are stunning – but it takes a cool $1½ million to buy a two bedroom (fairly basic apartment here) and the rents reflect that. D2 had booked the day off, as it was a Friday, but D1 had to go in to work. We spent the rest of the day unpacking and trying to stay awake!

It is only just beginning to percolate through that we are here for good and not just a nice long holiday. In those first couple of weeks we did some touristy stuff: the cliff walk from Coogee to Bondi, the art galleries, the walk round the harbour and Circular Quays – always stunning and great for people watching. However, we did spend a good deal of time doing ‘paperwork’ – going into government offices to apply for driving licences, Medicare cards (health) and, for me, a Working with Children (Disclosure and Barring) certificate. Just in case I manage to get some work. I have applied for a Senior’s card which will enable me to apply for a Gold Opal Card - a pre-paid travel card This Gold Opal will allow me travel over most of NSW for only $2.50 a day! The perks of being old? Partner has spent ages looking for work and we have also spent a good deal of time on our laptops looking for a car. Daughters have been generous in offering us the use of theirs – but we needed one and managed eventually to get one just under budget.

We had no sooner arrived - it felt to me - than we were preparing to leave to move into our ‘borrowed’ accommodation (we are ‘house-sitting’ daughter’s manager’s house, which is going to be re-built) We have been here a week and our new ‘pad’ is rather nice and it will be a bit of a wrench to leave it after Christmas to look for something we can afford! It is an area of large detached architect-designed houses (there are a lot of them around in Sydney) I suppose our house is a bit old-fashioned, but it is roomy, has a large terrace, a tiered garden, a huge ‘rumpus’ area (whatever that is?)  and a pool. So, I suppose can put up with the fact that there is only one socket per room . . . . . .. . . 

The day after we moved into this house daughter 2 and I sat out on the terrace in the twilight when she got home from work, complete with gin and tonics. Paradise, we thought, until we realised it was also ‘complete’ with mosquitoes! This occasioned a trip to Bunnings (B&Q or ‘Bloke Heaven’) to arm ourselves with as many devices and repellents we could lay our hand on.

At the back of this house is a ‘reserve’ or park area which is a tiny bit of tropical forest. Every morning we awake to the sound of screeching lorikeets, cockatoos, ravens with calls like crying adenoidal children, and kookaburras that sound like fighting gibbons. Amazing – but bloody noisy! Not so much twitter, chirp, cheap, but SQUAWK! SCREAM! and ‘Kookaburra’ for “GET THE F**K OFF MY BRANCH!"

Sydney is huge! We had to drive to North Sydney last week to look at a car. It was amazing to think that this was all rain forest only 230 years ago. What have we done and continue to do to this world? And I am fully aware that we are just as culpable – just by being here. A sobering moment.

Of course, the whole point of this uprooting and expense has been to be with ‘ma girls’ and it has been fantastic. There have been some teething troubles, which I expected. It’s not easy for anyone to live with adult children, or them with us, and we have had to ‘get to know’ each other again. But so, so lovely to be close.  

The car we have bought is an automatic and it has taken me longer than the average pensioner to get used to it! Keep wanting to change gear and don’t know what to do with my redundant left foot! To complicate things even further, the windscreen wipers and indicators are the reverse of what I was used to in my trusty old Yaris. I blame my mild dyslexia/dyspraxia! Although I have practised on the warren of streets that make up this estate – I have not yet ventured onto the main road. Primarily because the ‘main’ road is like a motorway with 3 lanes on each side. Lots of cars and gigantic lorries going very, very fast (or so it seems to me!).

It would appear that many bus drivers also want to become part of the race and fancy themselves as Formula One competitors. Got on a bus the other day and was greeted by a beaming – completely toothless – driver, who proceeded to hurtle down the road with South American Dance music throbbing from his cab. (Sydney is very multi-cultural.) Passengers NEVER get out of their seats before their stop. They just ring the bell and wait for the bus to come to a safe and complete standstill – especially if Billy Whizz is at the wheel!

My partner has now found a job (which was an essential element of our move – both financially and psychologically!) and the pay reflects the cost of living here.

People here and at home keep asking me how I feel about the move/transition, etc. Well, I miss my friends and family. I need to make some friends/contacts of my own age! I miss a decent Indian take-away – but the simple answer is – my kids are here and I don’t want to be anywhere else!

Hold on in there, everyone! It's worth it

M 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Merryweather said:

I thought you might like to hear about what life is like after the angst and stress of waiting for the visa (143) and the dreaded AOS!

I spent the first week in a slightly delirious jet-lagged fog. Daughters met us at the airport with big smiles, flowers and balloons. I had always thought that at this point I would burst into tears with relief and pent-up emotion. But I didn’t – far too embarrassing!

Once we got back to daughter’s apartment and had had some breakfast (we landed at 6 a.m) she whisked us off to Coogee Beach to paddle in the ocean. Apparently, it helps to ‘ground’ you and alleviate jet-lag. It was lovely, if freezing   . . . but didn’t work! 

Her apartment is minutes away and the views are stunning – but it takes a cool $1½ million to buy a two bedroom (fairly basic apartment here) and the rents reflect that. D2 had booked the day off, as it was a Friday, but D1 had to go in to work. We spent the rest of the day unpacking and trying to stay awake!

It is only just beginning to percolate through that we are here for good and not just a nice long holiday. In those first couple of weeks we did some touristy stuff: the cliff walk from Coogee to Bondi, the art galleries, the walk round the harbour and Circular Quays – always stunning and great for people watching. However, we did spend a good deal of time doing ‘paperwork’ – going into government offices to apply for driving licences, Medicare cards (health) and, for me, a Working with Children (Disclosure and Barring) certificate. Just in case I manage to get some work. I have applied for a Senior’s card which will enable me to apply for a Gold Opal Card - a pre-paid travel card This Gold Opal will allow me travel over most of NSW for only $2.50 a day! The perks of being old? Partner has spent ages looking for work and we have also spent a good deal of time on our laptops looking for a car. Daughters have been generous in offering us the use of theirs – but we needed one and managed eventually to get one just under budget.

We had no sooner arrived - it felt to me - than we were preparing to leave to move into our ‘borrowed’ accommodation (we are ‘house-sitting’ daughter’s manager’s house, which is going to be re-built) We have been here a week and our new ‘pad’ is rather nice and it will be a bit of a wrench to leave it after Christmas to look for something we can afford! It is an area of large detached architect-designed houses (there are a lot of them around in Sydney) I suppose our house is a bit old-fashioned, but it is roomy, has a large terrace, a tiered garden, a huge ‘rumpus’ area (whatever that is?)  and a pool. So, I suppose can put up with the fact that there is only one socket per room . . . . . .. . . 

The day after we moved into this house daughter 2 and I sat out on the terrace in the twilight when she got home from work, complete with gin and tonics. Paradise, we thought, until we realised it was also ‘complete’ with mosquitoes! This occasioned a trip to Bunnings (B&Q or ‘Bloke Heaven’) to arm ourselves with as many devices and repellents we could lay our hand on.

At the back of this house is a ‘reserve’ or park area which is a tiny bit of tropical forest. Every morning we awake to the sound of screeching lorikeets, cockatoos, ravens with calls like crying adenoidal children, and kookaburras that sound like fighting gibbons. Amazing – but bloody noisy! Not so much twitter, chirp, cheap, but SQUAWK! SCREAM! and ‘Kookaburra’ for “GET THE F**K OFF MY BRANCH!"

Sydney is huge! We had to drive to North Sydney last week to look at a car. It was amazing to think that this was all rain forest only 230 years ago. What have we done and continue to do to this world? And I am fully aware that we are just as culpable – just by being here. A sobering moment.

Of course, the whole point of this uprooting and expense has been to be with ‘ma girls’ and it has been fantastic. There have been some teething troubles, which I expected. It’s not easy for anyone to live with adult children, or them with us, and we have had to ‘get to know’ each other again. But so, so lovely to be close.  

The car we have bought is an automatic and it has taken me longer than the average pensioner to get used to it! Keep wanting to change gear and don’t know what to do with my redundant left foot! To complicate things even further, the windscreen wipers and indicators are the reverse of what I was used to in my trusty old Yaris. I blame my mild dyslexia/dyspraxia! Although I have practised on the warren of streets that make up this estate – I have not yet ventured onto the main road. Primarily because the ‘main’ road is like a motorway with 3 lanes on each side. Lots of cars and gigantic lorries going very, very fast (or so it seems to me!).

It would appear that many bus drivers also want to become part of the race and fancy themselves as Formula One competitors. Got on a bus the other day and was greeted by a beaming – completely toothless – driver, who proceeded to hurtle down the road with South American Dance music throbbing from his cab. (Sydney is very multi-cultural.) Passengers NEVER get out of their seats before their stop. They just ring the bell and wait for the bus to come to a safe and complete standstill – especially if Billy Whizz is at the wheel!

My partner has now found a job (which was an essential element of our move – both financially and psychologically!) and the pay reflects the cost of living here.

People here and at home keep asking me how I feel about the move/transition, etc. Well, I miss my friends and family. I need to make some friends/contacts of my own age! I miss a decent Indian take-away – but the simple answer is – my kids are here and I don’t want to be anywhere else!

M 

Thanks  Merryweather for an interesting and honest account of your new life!  and good luck.  I suppose once we all get through the tortuous wait we won’t believe we’re there for good either!  Hope the sun continues to shine on you and your family. 🇦🇺🙃😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merryweather said:

M 

Hi M, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your first experiences of your new life. You know that most of us on this site love reading success stories as it’s what keeps us going and staying positive that we have made the right decision to move to the other side of the world in the later years of our lives. 

We are heading to Adelaide if we ever get this elusive visa granted..... we never thought we would still be waiting but it looks like it could be this time next year before we can start our new life with the family. 

Please keep posting and letting us know your progress... it's great to read happy stories. 

Shelagh

• Like 1

An update for those in the 103 queue . For applicants with queue dates up to 16/06/2016 the queue reduced by

03/05/2010.          70

23/05/2011.        110

01/05/2013.         20

24/08/2015.         40

16/06/2015          30

total                      290

Thanks palaceboy1. We have a queue date of 16-06-16 and I am always interested to analyse the rate of the queue going down so please keep it up. 290 in one month is reassuring. After watching for a while the average for our date is about 250 a month or looking at it another way 3000 a year which would give us a 10 year wait. I would like it to be less though! 😀

@MerryweatherThank you for taking time to come back and visit us in the waiting room and give us an update. This gives me hope that it will still happen for us all. I will too be moving to NSW - Newport Beach in actual fact and look forward to hearing the crashing of the waves in the distance. At this stage I would also welcome the screaming of the birds ....but this may change in time. Its great to read positive stories. This site has been my saving grace. Keep in touch.

Thanks all, for your positive and kind replies to my last post - and apologies for the HUGE font! Really should check when copying and pasting!

M 

P.S Had pest control round this morning  - a precautionary spray/dust for cockroaches and spiders.

Now that's a first . . . . . . . .!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1