Guest guest36187

Great update, thank you Keith and Margaret!

The drop in your house price must have hurt, but the end justifies the means!! You are on your way, enjoy!

Whereabouts are you heading on the CC?

We will be there November and December, but sadly we will have to return to UK in January. (Haven't been able to convince other half yet)

Have a brilliant new life, I'm sure your daughter is excited. Mine is and we are only going for a holiday.

Cheers pam

Daughter lives in Avoca Beach but we are looking to buy inland as we prefer the countryside, so thinking " At the Moment" is the Yarramalong Valley or Jilliby, we have stayed in Kulnura at Forest Park www.forestpark.com.au a number of times so we do like that area.

I think daughter is looking forward to us arriving as the container will be half full of all her things, mostly pictures and toys, we asked if we needed to bring the dolls house etc, we were told definately!!! She is 37 years old!!! and has no children!!

Still she is the only one so we have a 40' container instead of a 20' container.

I am convinced that children get more expensive as they get older!!!:biglaugh:

Guest Janey1954

The next task was the air tickets, one way tickets!! So online and using the web found WWW.skyclub.com and talking to Mary Brown who is very helpful we are booked on the Emirates 20.40 fight out on the 12th. We have never flown with emirates before, it has always been Singapore Airlines or BA/Qantas, in fact we both hold KrisFlyer silver cards on SIA but with the unbelievable price from Skyclub we are on our first Emirates flight, I am keen to see the difference as we are on the A380 all the way and we have done three trip on the SIA A380, should be interesting.

Hi K&M

I've been following a few peeps on here now and I just wanted to add my best wishes. It all sounds fantastic... I cant wait till we're in the same position!!

Regarding the flights: we've only flown Emirates on out trips out there (mostly because we fly direct from Glasgow - missing out Heathrow) and I have to say that I couldnt fault them at all! We had been lucky enough to use our skywards points for an upgrade the last time but only from Melbourne to Dubai but it was fantastic... wish we could do that all the time (how the othe half live)!! Do you mind saying how much you paid for the tickets and how much kg's are allowed?

By the way, I have a sindy doll house in the loft but my daughter has 2 boys and no intention of having any more so she wont be wanting that brought out, thank goodness! The things we keep eh!!

Janey

Really interesting post from k and m

I had the packing experience yesterday. I used John Masons and they were excellent. My original quote was for 500 cubic feet but those 76 boxes looked more than that to me! Either way, my load will be classed as groupage so will be in a shared container. Partly because of that,I am not flying till September but when i go it will be with Emirates. I have always found them excellent and they go from birmingham, 12 miles down the road. I love the 380 so always make sure i book the flights on that-some of their flights stop at bangkok and use a smaller plane!

You also get 30 kgs as standard or 42 with enough frequent flyer points which is really helpful!

Still getting the 3am wake ups but hoping they will diminish now i am irretrievably committed!

Fiz

Hi K&M

I've been following a few peeps on here now and I just wanted to add my best wishes. It all sounds fantastic... I cant wait till we're in the same position!!

Regarding the flights: we've only flown Emirates on out trips out there (mostly because we fly direct from Glasgow - missing out Heathrow) and I have to say that I couldnt fault them at all! We had been lucky enough to use our skywards points for an upgrade the last time but only from Melbourne to Dubai but it was fantastic... wish we could do that all the time (how the othe half live)!! Do you mind saying how much you paid for the tickets and how much kg's are allowed?

By the way, I have a sindy doll house in the loft but my daughter has 2 boys and no intention of having any more so she wont be wanting that brought out, thank goodness! The things we keep eh!!

Janey

Hi Janey,

thank you for the update on Emirates, we have been looking around for sensibly priced tickets on the main airlines, BA/Qantas/SIA/Virgin/Emirates and they all came out on the high side, there is no doubt a single fare is not half the cost of a return!!

We are going business and the cheapest via www.skyclub.com came in at £4,340 for the two of us inc all taxes. ( The average for the others came in out £6K plus so we were starting to think premium economy)

The Emirates tickets also included a UK pick up and an Australian drop off, we live down in South Devon so we are coming up to near London on departure day as we have sold the wife’s car to friends in London so Emirates will collect us from there. We are certainly impressed with the drop off in Australia, all the way to Avoca Beach.

I am assuming that we have 40kgs each which will be sufficient, unless the wife gets carried away!!! That should last us until the container arrives, the question with spring going into summer in the central coast what to pack in the suitcases and what should go in the container!!

We are also having to carry out in hand luggage valuables (Not that Many) personal paperwork (Birth / Marriage certificates etc) laptops, I pads, so I guess it all mounts up. I know that they double the allowance for those migrating to Australia so maybe they will double ours??

Really interesting post from k and m

I had the packing experience yesterday. I used John Masons and they were excellent. My original quote was for 500 cubic feet but those 76 boxes looked more than that to me! Either way, my load will be classed as groupage so will be in a shared container. Partly because of that,I am not flying till September but when i go it will be with Emirates. I have always found them excellent and they go from birmingham, 12 miles down the road. I love the 380 so always make sure i book the flights on that-some of their flights stop at bangkok and use a smaller plane!

You also get 30 kgs as standard or 42 with enough frequent flyer points which is really helpful!

Still getting the 3am wake ups but hoping they will diminish now i am irretrievably committed!

Fiz

Hi Fiz,

John Mason's declined to quote as we are far too down in the West Country, so we dealt with the ones that had a presence down here.

They have estimated that we have around 1800 cu feet of items and furniture etc to pack, though apparently this is only a guide, I think next week is going to be rather hectic!!:huh:

Hi Janey,

thank you for the update on Emirates, we have been looking around for sensibly priced tickets on the main airlines, BA/Qantas/SIA/Virgin/Emirates and they all came out on the high side, there is no doubt a single fare is not half the cost of a return!!

We are going business and the cheapest via www.skyclub.com came in at £4,340 for the two of us inc all taxes. ( The average for the others came in out £6K plus so we were starting to think premium economy)

The Emirates tickets also included a UK pick up and an Australian drop off, we live down in South Devon so we are coming up to near London on departure day as we have sold the wife’s car to friends in London so Emirates will collect us from there. We are certainly impressed with the drop off in Australia, all the way to Avoca Beach.

I am assuming that we have 40kgs each which will be sufficient, unless the wife gets carried away!!! That should last us until the container arrives, the question with spring going into summer in the central coast what to pack in the suitcases and what should go in the container!!

We are also having to carry out in hand luggage valuables (Not that Many) personal paperwork (Birth / Marriage certificates etc) laptops, I pads, so I guess it all mounts up. I know that they double the allowance for those migrating to Australia so maybe they will double ours??

Hi

We too have always flown Emirates and found them fantastic....friendliness service, pick ups etc.

If you go onto their website there are local numbers you can ring (I know ther is a central number 0844 800 2777) ask them about your luggage allowance when emigrating etc, they have always been helpful with me :yes:

Good Luck with it all :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi Fiz,

John Mason's declined to quote as we are far too down in the West Country, so we dealt with the ones that had a presence down here.

They have estimated that we have around 1800 cu feet of items and furniture etc to pack, though apparently this is only a guide, I think next week is going to be rather hectic!!:huh:

I hope that you have a good an experience as i had-the packers were fantastic and I feel very confident that my stuff is as well protected as is possible on such a long and protracted jour. They were very helpful inthat they made sure that they filled each box as much as possible, adding a cushion here or there....

I've just paid the invoice as well which was exactly as they quoted back in February so all in all I would recommend them to anyone still gathering in quotes-assuming they don't live in South Devon of course!

I hope you have a fantastic trip out-Business all the way will be wonderful: I've only ever managed one leg a couple of times, thanks to Frequent flyer points

WE HAVE OUR VISA .....VISA ....VISA ....,.WHOOP WHOOP...,got an email at 4am this morning...bouncing off the wals today....

Our one way flight...cattle class singapore airlines cost us £650 each...with all we have had to pay out...exchange rates etc...we cannot afford the luxury of business class....i have always use emirates...but right now every penny counts....singapore have confirmed that we can have double baggage allowance...40kg each plus 7 kg hand luggage....we fly out on the 15 th august...

Our shipping goes next week ...its already all in storage...its costing us £3803 .16 p thats for 800 sq ft.....we are using doree boner......

Our narrowboat is almost ready or the boat yard...to be sold...just the windows and bits and bobs left to do...2 more nights aboard..then staying at my mums residential home...they have a guest flat ..£20 per night....

So this is it...

Today we are at our house which is now sold...the sun is shining...and we are going to miss this happy home...

Life in Oz with our only child...and her husband and our two lovely grandchildren...is so very close now....all the tears...costs...sleepless nights soon behind us...

Bring on the new chapter in our lives....

Hi

We too have always flown Emirates and found them fantastic....friendliness service, pick ups etc.

If you go onto their website there are local numbers you can ring (I know ther is a central number 0844 800 2777) ask them about your luggage allowance when emigrating etc, they have always been helpful with me :yes:

Good Luck with it all :biggrin:

Phoebe

There's no doubt, Emirates are GREAT and have been for the last 12 years while we have flown with them.

Having said that, I'm not totally convinced about the 380's.

No question, the flat beds are fantastic especially on a long haul flight to Oz via Dubai. However, not too many 380 flights from Brum to Dubai.

Also, I do have one grievance. The 380's have so many business class seats that service leaves a lot to be desired, compared to the smaller planes. Not being served breakfast, lunch, dinner at the same time as each other is really not good enough.

Waiting for a drink for 15 minutes when the flight attendant light is on is also something that can make you MAD!!

John & Eirian :wink:

WE HAVE OUR VISA .....VISA ....VISA ....,.WHOOP WHOOP...,got an email at 4am this morning...bouncing off the wals today....

Our one way flight...cattle class singapore airlines cost us £650 each...with all we have had to pay out...exchange rates etc...we cannot afford the luxury of business class....i have always use emirates...but right now every penny counts....singapore have confirmed that we can have double baggage allowance...40kg each plus 7 kg hand luggage....we fly out on the 15 th august...

Our shipping goes next week ...its already all in storage...its costing us £3803 .16 p thats for 800 sq ft.....we are using doree boner......

Our narrowboat is almost ready or the boat yard...to be sold...just the windows and bits and bobs left to do...2 more nights aboard..then staying at my mums residential home...they have a guest flat ..£20 per night....

So this is it...

Today we are at our house which is now sold...the sun is shining...and we are going to miss this happy home...

Life in Oz with our only child...and her husband and our two lovely grandchildren...is so very close now....all the tears...costs...sleepless nights soon behind us...

Bring on the new chapter in our lives....

Fantastic news guys (I'm envious :yes:) but don't begrudge you this life changing experience and all you have had to go through (wish I could convince my hubby :cry: still working on it.....)

My daughter flew out to the Gold Coast on 15th August 2007 :cute: it hasn't all been plain sailing for them BUT they wouldn't change anything so hopefully that is a good omen.

Live the dream guys :cool: and Good Luck :wink:

Phoebe

How exciting to hear 'the end of the waiting stories' from people. I am waiting for my acknowledgement letter, they have taken the money for the first payment but I am already worrying about how I am going to tie it all up at the end. Could I leave the estate agent to sell the flat? I was thinking that things would have to be shipped weeks before I leave (incase the shippers dont turn up and I have to rebook) and could I live on an air bed and with just a kettle!!!!! You see how its going. And I think I saw on the tracker that someone got their CO in 8months or have I read that wrong.? Thats panicking me although I dont have to go straight away but I know I will want to.

Anyway congratulations to all who are on your way. Leaving is very sad but as someone said being able to see your grandchildren when you want must be wonderful

Moira

How exciting to hear 'the end of the waiting stories' from people. I am waiting for my acknowledgement letter, they have taken the money for the first payment but I am already worrying about how I am going to tie it all up at the end. Could I leave the estate agent to sell the flat? I was thinking that things would have to be shipped weeks before I leave (incase the shippers dont turn up and I have to rebook) and could I live on an air bed and with just a kettle!!!!! You see how its going. And I think I saw on the tracker that someone got their CO in 8months or have I read that wrong.? Thats panicking me although I dont have to go straight away but I know I will want to.

Anyway congratulations to all who are on your way. Leaving is very sad but as someone said being able to see your grandchildren when you want must be wonderful

Moira

Hi Moira, i am just ahead of you i had my acknowledgement end of june, i have so much to do yet i find myself hoping i will be lucky enough to get a CO in 7-8mths, i think this is the worst part waiting, i have lots to do in my house in getting ready to rent it and need loads of time yet, still can't help wishing things along though. Like you said congatulations to all those who are on their way to oz.:jiggy:

There's no doubt, Emirates are GREAT and have been for the last 12 years while we have flown with them.

No question, the flat beds are fantastic especially on a long haul flight to Oz via Dubai. However, not too many 380 flights from Brum to Dubai.

Also, I do have one grievance. The 380's have so many business class seats that service leaves a lot to be desired, compared to the smaller planes. Not being served breakfast, lunch, dinner at the same time as each other is really not good enough.

Waiting for a drink for 15 minutes when the flight attendant light is on is also something that can make you MAD!!

We had only ever made the trip here with Singapore airlines prior to the one way. We made that with Emirates and were able to come business class (the first and last time I should imagine). We flew from Gatwick and the business class lounge there was amazing. There was an incident at the gate but we were told to relax until the kerfuffle was over and then made our leisurely way the the aircraft. That, unfortunately, was where the feel good feeling largely deserted us. The cabin crew were for the most part fairly surly and though it was worth it for having more space and being able to lay flat, the overall service left a lot to be desired. Methinks that should we go back to the UK again it will be via Singapore airlines and the lovely smiley ladies there.

Cath

We had only ever made the trip here with Singapore airlines prior to the one way. We made that with Emirates and were able to come business class (the first and last time I should imagine). We flew from Gatwick and the business class lounge there was amazing. There was an incident at the gate but we were told to relax until the kerfuffle was over and then made our leisurely way the the aircraft. That, unfortunately, was where the feel good feeling largely deserted us. The cabin crew were for the most part fairly surly and though it was worth it for having more space and being able to lay flat, the overall service left a lot to be desired. Methinks that should we go back to the UK again it will be via Singapore airlines and the lovely smiley ladies there.

Cath

Hi

Agree ith Cath. Business class service on the Emirates flight was mediocre.

Charlie

Cath

We tried KLM back to the UK. They neglected to tell us the first sector would be on Malaysian Air until we'd paid. Oh and the last sector on Qantas. The main flight was very good. But customer services? Polite and utterly useless. Came back Singapore Air, my favourite, and I'm now (pessimistically) pursuing a claim with KLM.

Tripadvisor reflects similar poor experiences with Emirates, I read that this may be due to recent financial belt-tightening at the airline. I've not used Emirates and of course it may have improved (or got worse!)

Cheers

Steve

Cath

I have flown with both Singapore amd Emirates and of the two i would prefer Singapore, the crew on Singapore flights were wonderful friendly and helpful, i found the crew on Emirates surly and cold when approached for anything. I had an incident on my last flight in April this year were 3 people in front of me got very drunk, the younger women in her late 30s became verbally abusive to her mother and friend the language was in the gutter and this went on for 6 of the 7hrs last leg flight, the staff ignored them and let them continue drinking,the woman even fell between the seats at one point and her mother had to get her up and back in her seat she was no better swearing at her for making a show of her in front of all the people, her language was in the gutter too. all close by did not want to get involved for fear of making them worse, i wrote a strong letter of complaint to Emirates but felt i was fobbed off in my reply, maybe no-one else on that flight bothered to complain, i think they were all so grateful to be getting off for some peace and quite after such a long journey from perth. I like a drink on the plane but in moderation as it's there to be enjoyed not abused, i felt the staff should have stopped serving drinks when they were getting loud and abusive, i have never had this behaviour before and really hope it was a one off, to add insult to injury the women were from my home town:arghh: I have air miles with Emirates so will use them again, just hope i never come accross such rowdy passengers again.I flown business class once back from perth as i had an emergency back home, it was okay for the leg room but not worth what they charge. Hope after my next flight i won't be leaving perth for a long time :jiggy: Ann

Nobody has mentioned Qantas. We have flown with them 5 times. They can't do enough for you. Staff are friendly, food is good, chairs comfortable.

I wouldn't fly BA unless the flight was so cheap I had no option! My daughter and son in law in Brisbane will only fly Singapore. Last time they came home with the baby they said the staff were wonderful.

There are folks on here whos hearts are breaking because they cant afford the second vac payment,there are folks who would travel in the hold to be able to see their relatives,folks who are desperate to sell there houses in a depressed market,to have to buy in a rising one just to get to OZ and you complain about having to wait 15 mins from your flat bed for a drink,ever wondered where the phrase wingeing POM comes from, you will really fit in well in Australia good luck.

Mike.

There are folks on here whos hearts are breaking because they cant afford the second vac payment,there are folks who would travel in the hold to be able to see their relatives,folks who are desperate to sell there houses in a depressed market,to have to buy in a rising one just to get to OZ and you complain about having to wait 15 mins from your flat bed for a drink,ever wondered where the phrase wingeing POM comes from, you will really fit in well in Australia good luck.

Mike.

Now, now, now

No need for this. Someone was just trying to give some feedback on what service was like. We have all been grateful for feedback and advice from othet people. There is no need for petty criticism. Let's be positive and continue to help each other. Thats what it is like in Australia.

Charlie

Moira

Hi Moira-I remember so well the anxious wondering! What I have learnt from the whole experience however is to be flexible with plans and read forums like this one as every experience will have happened already to someone else!

And yes, you can survive with an airbed and a kettle-exactly what I'll be doing for the next month though my airbed is actually an IKEA folding chair bed that I hope to sell on ebay just before I get on the plane! So far (2 days in) its quite fun: like indoor camping.

As I said in an earlier post, I recommend John Masons as shippers. Highly organised, very reliable and for me, the cheapest quote by some way.

I got my visa 8 months ago but am only going now because of work issues-I retired last week. At long last, I am beginning to feel more excited than worried!

Good luck with the next 12 months-Fiz

Perhaps i have been lucky...but i have always found emirates

to be very good.... Singapore for us soon...looking forward to seeing how fab they are after all these comments thank you

I'm with you :biggrin:

But it's personal preference :yes:

Phoebe