Guest guest36187

Pete and marg...i do believe they are offering free flights if your happy to wing walk...and then of course you would also get your name in the G book of records...no need to ask for ice in your drinks...its in your hair..toes..etc etc...you dont need a blanket once you take off..you cannot feel anything anyway...ha ...heard the phrase ..i could sleep stood up...that will be you...i think its being promoted as ways of getting more on the plane...and i expect you will need to be weighed...wouldnt want the plane to keep going round in a circle...too much weight on one side...two thin ones on oneside..one fat one on th other...wonder if your first off the plane ...or do they have to wait until you thaw...ha

Pete and marg...i do believe they are offering free flights if your happy to wing walk...and then of course you would also get your name in the G book of records...no need to ask for ice in your drinks...its in your hair..toes..etc etc...you dont need a blanket once you take off..you cannot feel anything anyway...ha ...heard the phrase ..i could sleep stood up...that will be you...i think its being promoted as ways of getting more on the plane...and i expect you will need to be weighed...wouldnt want the plane to keep going round in a circle...too much weight on one side...two thin ones on oneside..one fat one on th other...wonder if your first off the plane ...or do they have to wait until you thaw...ha

WING WALK err no way, wifey doesn't like hieghts.

You know on here we are always ready for anything and surprised by nothing. Well spent most of Monday lunch at the bank explaining LOTS of money was to come out of my account in one lump this month and did not want any hiccups. Very nice young teller updated all my account details and put a note on to explain large payment for one of two payees, Oz gov or Ozforex. Exchange rate jumps, do deal for visa funds, go to do transfer online, bank says sorry this is above your daily limit. Ever felt like you are wasting your time!!!!!!

:arghh::arghh::arghh: Now a visit to the bank again.

Dont you just love dealing with those that do not know how to think about ALL the issues

Some say it gets worse, others it gets better. Just convince me easier.

regards

Thanks, Charlie.

Some people clearly find talk about food and drink indigestible. Pity their sense of humour deserts them, especially when my comments were followed by a wink?

John

I interpreted it as you intended John - the wink was critical to the context.

:twitcy:

Hi

We have our passports with the visa label in them and as our house is not sold yet it looks like we will have to have a holiday over in Oz to validate the visa's, before the middle of next February, so we are thinking of having Christmas over there with our family.

The only thing is that our passports expire in May next year and we don't know which is the best thing to do, renew them now or when we arrive back in the UK after Christmas.

Could we still use our existing passports or do they have to be valid for 6 months after you leave the Oz.

If we renew them now that would mean we would have to travel on the new passports then our visa's will not match up with these new passports for entering Oz.

Also places like Medicare, Centre Link, Oz bank etc may have our old passport numbers on file.

Has anyone been in a similar position and can advise on what the best action is.

David

To late for you David, maybe you missed my posts in March, but we had almost 2 years to go on our old passport when our visa was granted, we asked our CO not to issue it on the Passport number we had applied on and we applied for a new UK passport, they allow up to 1 year to be added to a new passport if the previous one is still valid.

So we then scanned the details of the new 11 year passport to our CO by email and then along with the grant letter sent that off to London to stamp in the new passport, good until 2022.

Like you we hope to have sold our house by then. :wink:

Hi Everyone, thanks for this post its been great reading back on all the questions and issues that so many people seem to have the answers to, or just the clarification or support that one sometimes needs.

My parents and parent inlaws lodged their CPV and received their acknowledgement August 2010.

I had a tthe time added their names to the CPV tracker and just every now and then pop on to see how its doing. Recently i have noticed there being not much movemnt at all! Any ideas?

I see there's been movement from "Suke" but nothing between there and "aaibaba" and "2Wang"??

Are these possible memebers that have not got round to updating or is it normal to have big gaps between CO?

Just curious.

Thanks

Hi Everyone, thanks for this post its been great reading back on all the questions and issues that so many people seem to have the answers to, or just the clarification or support that one sometimes needs.

My parents and parent inlaws lodged their CPV and received their acknowledgement August 2010.

I had a tthe time added their names to the CPV tracker and just every now and then pop on to see how its doing. Recently i have noticed there being not much movemnt at all! Any ideas?

I see there's been movement from "Suke" but nothing between there and "aaibaba" and "2Wang"??

Are these possible memebers that have not got round to updating or is it normal to have big gaps between CO?

Just curious.

Thanks

I think its difficult to tell as those people closest on the tracker do not seem active on the forum ...if timing is important, there would be no harm in emailing Perth and asking....meanwhile it might be worth their while getting their policechecks done and perhaps booking their medicals......

Just curious.

Thanks

Hello and welcome

There are probably two reasons; they're still active but have forgotten to update the tracker OR they've dropped out of the process.

I will need to program it to hide any records that appear inactive otherwise it won't be a lot of help to anyone. The challenge is how long to give them before hiding the record.

Cheers

Steve

We would ideally like to go full time before Christmas but it depends on selling the house, we have a few interested people but they all have their own places to sell first so that's why we are thinking it will probably mean a holiday first to validate.

We have two sons living in Cairns, both with their wives and two children each, but one is preparing to move to the Brisbane area before Christmas so we have had to decide is it Cairns or Brisbane.

We have opted for Brisbane as the two Grandchildren moving their are both under 5 plus the climate is supposed to be a bit better, not so hot. The Grandchildren who will be in Cairns are both in their late teens and we were always around to support them when they were growing up so it will be nice to be able to do the same for the other two as they grow.

David

Hi thanks for the reply we have a son in Brisbane which is where we are heading,the other son lives in Melbourne,(much too cold for us) the house sold to a cash buyer (the first person to look at it)

and they are taking all the furniture etc which is fantastic,one of the reasons I have not given passport details to the airline is that for the last twenty odd years I have worked for Emirates and like a fool forgot that everything is on file.

good luck with the move hope you get there before christmas.

Cheers Mike.

I think its difficult to tell as those people closest on the tracker do not seem active on the forum ...if timing is important, there would be no harm in emailing Perth and asking....meanwhile it might be worth their while getting their policechecks done and perhaps booking their medicals......

Thanks Fiz, yes they are in a bit of hurry to get here. Bought a house and bought a business "RISKY" i know..... but, police clearances done yesterday and medicals booked. I'm glad you suggested it, atleast i feel like maybe my suggestion them was probably not a bad one. After all they are valid for 12 months and im pretty sure there's enough time in it to warrant doing it now.

Hello and welcome

There are probably two reasons; they're still active but have forgotten to update the tracker OR they've dropped out of the process.

I will need to program it to hide any records that appear inactive otherwise it won't be a lot of help to anyone. The challenge is how long to give them before hiding the record.

Cheers

Steve

Thank Steve, your tracker is such a good idea. Tricky tho hey! To keep up with who is in and who is out. I tried searching for some of the names on here but most didnt come up.

Very difficult to know when or if one is no longer an active member. Thank you and Good luck with that :smile:

Don't strike us off yet.

We're still waiting for something/anything from DIAC.

OMG - The Waiting

I'm sure you're nearly there. Pleased to see you are about atleast its another guarenteed one to keep an eye on. Thanks for letting us know you're still in.

Hello and welcome

Cheers

Steve

Would it be possible to send them a message automatically after x months of inactivity to ward them that they will be struck off unless they let youy know, Steve?

e.g. at present. x = 13 months after acknowledgement say?

A simpler solution might be to include another date field on the document, where users can enter the date they last looked at the tracker. You could then delete them altogether if > x months'

John

Would it be possible to send them a message automatically after x months of inactivity to ward them that they will be struck off unless they let youy know, Steve?

e.g. at present. x = 13 months after acknowledgement say?

A simpler solution might be to include another date field on the document, where users can enter the date they last looked at the tracker. You could then delete them altogether if > x months'

John

We have had medicals done in OZ in May,cheaper than UK and valid for year but not finalised yet for me as I had issues but expect will be OK soon,police checks we also had done in Oz before returning to UK,and got UK police checks done on arrival in UK--mistake as only valid for 3 months I think,just trying to preload but no CO yet,UK passport in for renewal as pages nearly full but seems lost in post,taken 4 weeks now--delayed as debit card given was compromised and new one issued so had to send Postal Order --phoning in new card no impossible if no-one answers phone.

Intend applying for 676 in sept to return Oz,looks like need to make trip to NZ to be offshore (note book as destination ex UK with stopover in Oz--cheaper than booking from Oz !).

just bought $au,evertime I do £ goes up next day--LOL

Is anyone else watching the exchange rate, I have not sold my house yet but have a small amount of savings to send over to Oz and don't know whether to send some now or wait to see if the rate keeps climbing. What is it going to do and why is it rising :confused:

David

Is anyone else watching the exchange rate, I have not sold my house yet but have a small amount of savings to send over to Oz and don't know whether to send some now or wait to see if the rate keeps climbing. What is it going to do and why is it rising :confused:

David

Hi dave Im sitting along from you on the same fence if you find out whats up let me know.

cheers Mike.

Don't strike us off yet.

We're still waiting for something/anything from DIAC.

OMG - The Waiting

Ditto the above for us too please...................BUT not in nearly as much of a rush as we were when we first applied. Been just over a year now since lodging our application for a 173

Cheers Val

We exchanged money yesterday morning at 1.49.... Then the money we told them to hang on to until it reached 1.50 went about 2 hrs later....we then spoke to money corp...again....they told us....they expected it to drop again.....we hadnt been offered above 1.49 for at least 3-4 weeks before yesterday....so whats left in any uk accounts we did a contract with money corp at 1.50 we have 5 days to get this money into money corp ....we were also told that if we were to change £200.000 ( our house sale money when we get it) at yesterdays rates ...they would give us 1.51 hope this helps....the price ie 1.53 thats shown yesterday is NOT the rate you get....we get daily updates ....plus then look again for ourselves....i think the different money rates for us yesterday morning left us with about $200 less ...about 2 weeks ago the best we could get for paying our visa was 1.48..... So right now we are grabbing what we can to change at $1.50 ...this time last year it was $1.65...... and has gone down and down and.....hopefully in a couple of weeks when we get payment for our house...it will be 1.50 or above....that still leaves us ...about $100.000 if not more short in getting a house...it will be fine....we will find something...,nothing we can do to change this....looking forward...looking forward....oh yes....

Hope this helps...

We exchanged money yesterday morning at 1.49.... Then the money we told them to hang on to until it reached 1.50 went about 2 hrs later....we then spoke to money corp...again....they told us....they expected it to drop again.....we hadnt been offered above 1.49 for at least 3-4 weeks before yesterday....so whats left in any uk accounts we did a contract with money corp at 1.50 we have 5 days to get this money into money corp ....we were also told that if we were to change £200.000 ( our house sale money when we get it) at yesterdays rates ...they would give us 1.51 hope this helps....the price ie 1.53 thats shown yesterday is NOT the rate you get....we get daily updates ....plus then look again for ourselves....i think the different money rates for us yesterday morning left us with about $200 less ...about 2 weeks ago the best we could get for paying our visa was 1.48..... So right now we are grabbing what we can to change at $1.50 ...this time last year it was $1.65...... and has gone down and down and.....hopefully in a couple of weeks when we get payment for our house...it will be 1.50 or above....that still leaves us ...about $100.000 if not more short in getting a house...it will be fine....we will find something...,nothing we can do to change this....looking forward...looking forward....oh yes....

Hope this helps...

That's a long post to say.......the rate goes up and down....if it helps.......I can get $1.53 on $25,000 with UKForex right now....... never found Moneycorp to beat UKForex yet......:wubclub:

We used UKForex to transfer the money for our visa a couple of weeks ago. They gave us a better rate than moneycorp.

If you phone them and tell them you will be transferring lots of money over a period of time. i.e.bond payment, visa payment, money from sale of house, pensions etc. they will give you a better rate.

Transfers over 3k do not incur charges. Hope that helps

We used UKForex to transfer the money for our visa a couple of weeks ago. They gave us a better rate than moneycorp.

If you phone them and tell them you will be transferring lots of money over a period of time. i.e.bond payment, visa payment, money from sale of house, pensions etc. they will give you a better rate.

Transfers over 3k do not incur charges. Hope that helps

Just changed money for the visa, Yes, at long last committed to go, for those that have followed our woes. Of course changed when it hiccupped last night then went up another 2c today. Still a lot better than the 1.48 it has been at recently. Biggest problem encountered was trying to get money to Ozforex. Over internet limit, over telephone banking limit, transfer in branch only possible by chaps at a charge of £24. :arghh:. Will look carefully at other ways of paying ozforex.

Never mind nearly there.

:jiggy: