Guest guest36187

Might be OK but our buyers had to put their house back on the market but found another buyer immediately. Now 4 in the chain but they are getting the survey done on our property this week and seem keen to move. May take a couple of weeks more than hoped but looking better than it did a week ago. Still in with a chance of completing by the end of September!

Fingers crossed for you.

Chains are nerve-wracking!

Mike

I recently wrote to customs in oz... Today i received a reply ...chocolate and gravy granuals are fine...but strongly suggested that thy are boxed seperate....so a couple of tins of quality street will be added to my shipping...ready for christmas...we have always taken choc and gravy granuals and delared them and thy have been fine...but just wanted to double check if we were to pack a couple of tins of chocolates that it would be...

We have never had any problems with any sweets, chocolates or gravy granules but have had suet taken off us by customs as it contains animal fat, unless you use the vegetarian variety, so never take that any more.

On our last holiday to Oz last Christmas we had to take lots of boxes of After Eight mints with us for our family, which we got from the local Poundland shop, before anyone asks at £1 a box, as the British Lolly Shop sells them for $17 a box.

You can check the British Lolly Shop prices on line then see what it is best to buy here.

David

Now I'm confused too!

Anyhow, congratulations and good luck.

Mike

Hi

Could it be the date the meds were received in Oz??

We are still waiting for results on meds but not panicking as if exchange rate does not move we have decided to withdraw for the moment. When we sell house, although paid for, we would only have 220K for new home so ............

Good luck to all who have had visas lately and pleasant journey's to your new life.

Hi, i wonder if anyone has any knowledge or experience regarding paying tax on money recieved for renting property. Due to the poor exchange rate and fall in property prices i have decided to rent my house if i am successful with my application and shall rent in perth until such time things hopefully improve and then maybe sell up, i was wondering if you have to declare the rental income to the tax office here in the uk, also in oz too ?? Any info would be appreciated. Cheers Ann.:hug:

Hi

Could it be the date the meds were received in Oz??

We are still waiting for results on meds but not panicking as if exchange rate does not move we have decided to withdraw for the moment. When we sell house, although paid for, we would only have 220K for new home so ............

Good luck to all who have had visas lately and pleasant journey's to your new life.

I think that could be it. We had a hold up with the meds in Sydney and our CO said as soon as he had them he would email us with the 2nd VAC payment.

Hi, i wonder if anyone has any knowledge or experience regarding paying tax on money recieved for renting property. Due to the poor exchange rate and fall in property prices i have decided to rent my house if i am successful with my application and shall rent in perth until such time things hopefully improve and then maybe sell up, i was wondering if you have to declare the rental income to the tax office here in the uk, also in oz too ?? Any info would be appreciated. Cheers Ann.:hug:

You'll need to include it in both tax returns Ann, but the double tax treaty should prevent any duplication. Don't forget to deduct any expenses relating to the rental.

Cheers

Steve

Might be OK but our buyers had to put their house back on the market but found another buyer immediately. Now 4 in the chain but they are getting the survey done on our property this week and seem keen to move. May take a couple of weeks more than hoped but looking better than it did a week ago. Still in with a chance of completing by the end of September!

That's really good news. When my sister and her husband found that their chain was about to collapse, I recommended they buy one lower down the chain, which they did, then they rented it out. It only works if the difference in prices is significant and the one at the bottom isn't a dog, and you don't mind keeping a rental investment for a few years. For them it rescued them from a near-disaster.

Cheers

Steve

Hi all,

I'm new to this posting thing but wanted to say how brilliantly helpful this forum has been to us as we try to negotiate our intended move to Aus. My other half is retiring from the Army next year and our dream is to move North of Sydney to be near our daughter and her growing family. We're trying to do all of this while living in Nepal, so it has been quite a challenge even with an agent! One question, we have been keeping an eye on the 143 visa queue, our lodgement date is in May and we seem to have jumped 290 places in 1 month to number 80. I know lots have sadly had to drop out of the process (with the escalating costs this has crossed our minds too, but what the heck, we were never meant to be rich!) but at this rate we might get a CO very soon. Is that possible? We were expecting a wait of at least 9 months + which would have tied loosely with our posting back to UK. Best laid plans etc, etc.....We are just about ready to react if we hear sooner but surely the wait can't have plummeted so quickly. On the upside, it shortens the time in limbo. Any thoughts anyone?

Kim:err:

Hi all,

I'm new to this posting thing but wanted to say how brilliantly helpful this forum has been to us as we try to negotiate our intended move to Aus. My other half is retiring from the Army next year and our dream is to move North of Sydney to be near our daughter and her growing family. We're trying to do all of this while living in Nepal, so it has been quite a challenge even with an agent! One question, we have been keeping an eye on the 143 visa queue, our lodgement date is in May and we seem to have jumped 290 places in 1 month to number 80. I know lots have sadly had to drop out of the process (with the escalating costs this has crossed our minds too, but what the heck, we were never meant to be rich!) but at this rate we might get a CO very soon. Is that possible? We were expecting a wait of at least 9 months + which would have tied loosely with our posting back to UK. Best laid plans etc, etc.....We are just about ready to react if we hear sooner but surely the wait can't have plummeted so quickly. On the upside, it shortens the time in limbo. Any thoughts anyone?

Hello Kim and welcome to the most helpful forum on the internet!

There's no queue for the 143 and 173 because the visa quota has not been filled. The queue is only operational when the government runs out of visas for this visa type.

For an indication of current timescales have a look at http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php ; a useful sample of applicants.

Cheers and good luck.

Steve

Hi all,

Which queue are you referring to Kim?

Do you know something I don't perhaps? What intrigues me is that you have clearly identified yourselves in a queue of some sort. Can you send me the link, please?

Thanks.

John

Which queue are you referring to Kim?

Do you know something I don't perhaps? What intrigues me is that you have clearly identified yourselves in a queue of some sort. Can you send me the link, please?

Thanks.

John

You can enter a date John, and it'll give you a number but it's a completely meaningless exercise. There isn't a queue at the moment! It's a recurrent query on the forum, but after a while new members raise it again - understandably.

Cheers

Steve

Hi all,

Its exactly a year since we lodged our 173 application and as yet, no case officer. Ive been expecting one since around May time but not heard anything. Should I be getting anxious or is this normal? Also, how do they make contact? Email, telephone or post?

Val x

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. What you say makes total sense. It all seemed a bit strange from the advice we'd been given (to check the visa queue calculator) and what we had read on here as it appeared to conflict. I'd tried to search the various threads and came up with nothing specific. So I guess it's time to just sit back and wait and wonder and save!

Kim

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. What you say makes total sense. It all seemed a bit strange from the advice we'd been given (to check the visa queue calculator) and what we had read on here as it appeared to conflict. I'd tried to search the various threads and came up with nothing specific. So I guess it's time to just sit back and wait and wonder and save!

Kim

Check out steve's spreadsheet @

http://www.gainwave.co.uk/

This will give you some idea of timescales.

Charlie

:biggrin:

Hi all,

Hi Kim, it was stated in my acknowledgement email that case officers were still dealing with applicants from May 2010, i lodged 29th june 2011 so i am guessing it will take maybe 12mths for a case officer. The only gratitude i have in it taking that long is n the hope the exchange rate improves, other than that i find i am wishing my life away for the months to pass just to get over there. Hope the time works out as you want to coincide with your plans. Ann:jiggy:

Hi all,

Its exactly a year since we lodged our 173 application and as yet, no case officer. Ive been expecting one since around May time but not heard anything. Should I be getting anxious or is this normal? Also, how do they make contact? Email, telephone or post?

Val x

Hi Val

They will contact by whatever means you requested them to contact. Ours is by e mail. We applied May 2010 and had the e mail for "more information" early May 2011. Very slow progress since but that is to do with medicals, but the response seems very slow. Looking at the tracker it appears a bit hit and miss, an e mail may not go amiss but may be worth waiting about another 4 weeks. The more queries the less time for processing!!! Doesn't stop the frustration though.

Best of luck whichever way you decide

pete

Hi all,

Val x

I would email them, we noticed we had had dropped 4 weeks behind Framboy getting his CO when we were 2 weeks apart on application thanks to Steve's tracker, we emailed them asking if we could expect a CO soon and 3 days later we got one.

I don't think one email will hold up the process and it could just jog things along. :yes:

I would email them, we noticed we had had dropped 4 weeks behind Framboy getting his CO when we were 2 weeks apart on application thanks to Steve's tracker, we emailed them asking if we could expect a CO soon and 3 days later we got one.

I don't think one email will hold up the process and it could just jog things along. :yes:

Hi Les,

I think it might have something to do with me dispensing with the services of our migration agent and subsquently reporting her to the MARA. I then had to send in another form saying I was taking over from her so perhaps they took our file out and it now been shoved in a drawer! Not too bothered really as we cant afford to up sticks and move just yet although we have got our visa money put aside. We are visiting for Christmas so if they get in touch with a CO in time, it could be our validation trip. If not, we might just have got ourselves another years grace!

I`ll leave it for a bit and see what happens.

Cheers, Val

What is the email address you use before you get your CO?

It's all about someone you can talk to before the CO, n'est pa?

John