Guest guest36187

You're right about the Seniors Card, it's brilliant and we use ours all the time. Sadly, you don't get a discount off electricity though, only gas. A water discount is only available if you own your own home I think.

Yes,thanks for that, knew I'd read something. I think you can also get a discount off the council rates if you own your own home. Shame about the electricity!

Yes,thanks for that, knew I'd read something. I think you can also get a discount off the council rates if you own your own home. Shame about the electricity!

I have searched and I don't think we can get discount(with a Seniors Card) on GAS, Electricity or Water in NSW.....please someone tell me we can?

Congratulations! It must be a great relief after the health worries with the visa. It's good to hear that someone else is heading to Sydney too-I sometimes feel quite out of it with so many off to Perth!

Whereabouts are you planning to base yourselves? I'm starting in Forestville /Terrey Hills staying with my son and then my daughter but I hope that will only be for September as I'd like to rent from October onwards:Avalon if I can find something suitable and affordable!!!

Meanwhile just 4 more days at work and 13 days till the shipping company arrive -its beginning to feel real at last!

Hope you can enjoy a celebratory drink tonight

Fiz

G'Day Fiz, and thanks

For us, the Big Question is, Which side of the Harbour?

We already have a small base in Cremorne, and lots of friends around there. (We hope to keep this to generate pension income.) So we are inclined to stay in that area. But the family live in the Eastern Suburbs, and we are often told how nice it would be if the granddaughters could simply drop in on us after school! We certainly won't be able to go as "far" north as the Peninsula, but we do love it. Bilgola is our favourite beach.

I hope you're planning to buy a surfboard!

Mike

Hi

As I understand it once the visa is granted you have to validate it within 12 months some people combine it with a holiday but your parents can literally take a flight land on Australian soil (which would validate the visas) then return home the same day.

Phoebe

G'Day – one small correction: the 12 months runs from the earlier of their medicals or their police checks.

In our case, it runs from 16 May, even though we didn't have our meds until 22 June and visas granted 18 July.

Mike

We live in NSW (we have got seniors cards) and having seen your post I have tried to find some information about discounts off Gas/Electricity or water....but I can't. Any discount would be very welcome. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

G'Day

I think the confusion arises because the main "Seniors Cards" are state-based, and the benefits vary (though there are some reciprocal interstate benefits). These are quite different from the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, which gives health discounts; I think there is some delay in CPV holders qualifying for this, but haven't found the details – Can anyone help?

Useful links:–

http://www.seniors.gov.au/internet/seniors/publishing.nsf/content/national++concession+cards+for+seniors

http://www.seniorscard.com.au/

Mike

G'Day

I think the confusion arises because the main "Seniors Cards" are state-based, and the benefits vary (though there are some reciprocal interstate benefits). These are quite different from the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, which gives health discounts; I think there is some delay in CPV holders qualifying for this, but haven't found the details – Can anyone help?

Useful links:–

http://www.seniors.gov.au/internet/seniors/publishing.nsf/content/national++concession+cards+for+seniors

http://www.seniorscard.com.au/

Mike

I think you have to be here for 2 years before you can qualify for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card and then benefits are means tested. It does give a good discount on prescriptions I'm told but whether we will qualify remains to be seen and on the strength of the dollar too of course. Someone asked how we got the seniors discount on our gas supply. We seem to think we asked about it when we called up to set up our account.

I think you have to be here for 2 years before you can qualify for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card and then benefits are means tested. It does give a good discount on prescriptions I'm told but whether we will qualify remains to be seen and on the strength of the dollar too of course. Someone asked how we got the seniors discount on our gas supply. We seem to think we asked about it when we called up to set up our account.

You also have to be aged over 65 to qualify.

I have medication here that entitles me to free presciptions...i cannot live without it...does the same apply in oz ....would i get free meds...im 57 yrs old..

The short answer is no. A minimum charge of $34 per monthly presciption applies. There are some rebates bu no free options.

Charlie

I recently wrote to customs in oz... Today i received a reply ...chocolate and gravy granuals are fine...but strongly suggested that thy are boxed seperate....so a couple of tins of quality street will be added to my shipping...ready for christmas...we have always taken choc and gravy granuals and delared them and thy have been fine...but just wanted to double check if we were to pack a couple of tins of chocolates that it would be...

....so a couple of tins of quality street will be added to my shipping......but just wanted to double check if we were to pack a couple of tins of chocolates that it would be...

.........a sticky brown mess after 5 weeks in a container sailing through the equator and beyond. :wink:

.........a sticky brown mess after 5 weeks in a container sailing through the equator and beyond. :wink:

I think it could be one very large tin shaped chocolate and the gravy granules will have solidified also.

however good luck,but Bisto is available in OZ.

Cheers Mike.

I think it could be one very large tin shaped chocolate and the gravy granules will have solidified also.

Hmm.... sounds like a recipe for vegemite if you mix the two together. :twitcy:

Off to Harwich today to sit and eat traditional fish & chips cooked in dripping while watching other people's containers leave Felixstowe bound for Oz and beyond.

Me jealous, nah. :yes:

Hmm.... sounds like a recipe for vegemite if you mix the two together. :twitcy:

Off to Harwich today to sit and eat traditional fish & chips cooked in dripping while watching other people's containers leave Felixstowe bound for Oz and beyond.

Me jealous, nah. :yes:

Hi, Les.

I can remember a couple of years ago doing the opposite on Brisbane docks whilst collecting stuff for my son and wishing it was my stuff coming in hopefully in a few months that may be true.

cheers.

Mike.

G'Day All

Passports came back from Oz House today with those long-desired (and expensive!) visa stickers – actually would have been yesterday if we'd been here to receive the Special Delivery envelope!

So just a 24-hour turnaround in spite of being thwarted when trying to deliver them by hand (ie, self-"couriered"). Others be warned: Despite what the piece of paper says, Oz House in the Strand WON'T accept couriered deliveries at the moment (due to building works), except possibly for a short window in the morning. So Sue had to go across the road to the Post Office to send them the packet!

Now for the 143s (soon after we reach Sydney in Autumn/Spring) – more ***ing paperwork!

Mike:biggrin:

Are you still looking at the stickers??????

The next lot of paperwork will be a doddle, after all you'll be filling them in in Sydney!!

If I can convince the 'old man' after we have spent 10 weeks in Sydney (including Christmas) that it is the place to be, we'll follow your lead and start on '***ing paperwork'.

Congratulations

Pam

Some doctor on tv this morning said the way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started. So I looked around my house to see things I'd started & hadn't finished, then I finished off a bottle of Vodka, a bodle of Baileys, a botle of wum, a pock of Prungles, 1/2 chesecke an a bocs a choclezt. Yu haf no idr how bludy fablus I feeel now. Plaese sned dhis orn to dem yu fel ar in ned ov innr piss!

Just thought ...when all we seem to do every day all day is plot plan...and hope re our visa' s ...we could all with a good laugh

Val x

No stores on the Mornington Peninsula stocks gravy granuals.....i lived there from sept- april ...i would have found them...you can now get oxo....but not granuals....i will take the chance of my quality street melting...if it works out ok...i will let you know...if they are going to melt in to one big.blob...perhaps i should take the wrappers off now...need more than a toffee hammer at the other end..,ha

Guest Janey1954
Some doctor on tv this morning said the way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started. So I looked around my house to see things I'd started & hadn't finished, then I finished off a bottle of Vodka, a bodle of Baileys, a botle of wum, a pock of Prungles, 1/2 chesecke an a bocs a choclezt. Yu haf no idr how bludy fablus I feeel now. Plaese sned dhis orn to dem yu fel ar in ned ov innr piss!

Just thought ...when all we seem to do every day all day is plot plan...and hope re our visa' s ...we could all with a good laugh

Val x

Thats the bestest laugh I've had in donkeys!!!!!! Took me 2 hankies and a clean pair of kni....ers before I could reply..

I guess there'll be alot of peeps will be doing the same as yooz tonight! TGIF

Remember "there are no problems, only solutions" (John Lennon)

Janey

No stores on the Mornington Peninsula stocks gravy granuals.....i lived there from sept- april ...i would have found them...you can now get oxo....but not granuals....i will take the chance of my quality street melting...if it works out ok...i will let you know...if they are going to melt in to one big.blob...perhaps i should take the wrappers off now...need more than a toffee hammer at the other end..,ha

IGA stores stock bisto granules nearest would be in Frankston.also the British shop on Collins in the city.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Bisto good luck.

Val x

I too found inner piss true dish reshipee. Der Retsheena had bin ****ting in the cubbad for sheven yirsh, ever shince Shkia... oh what the hell!

John

Since arriving over here, we have been trying many different types of gravy granules trying to get the same flavour as Bisto. I think that Gravox Supreme Gravy mix....is like the original Bisto powder. We have also used Green's Gravy Granules....that was fine. The one we really don't rate are Massel Gravy Mix or "beef style" stock powder - that are actually suitable for VEGETARIANS!! Yuk.

Julie