Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Linday last won the day on November 1 2012

Linday had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

320 Excellent

About Linday

  • Rank
    Platinum Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Linday

    cpv143 2nd instalment fee

    lf you use one of the currency transfer companies such as HiFx then you will get a better exchange rate. The banks will not give such a good exchange rate.
  2. Linday

    Massive shake up for UK Pensions

    Does this mean that those of us who have recently transferred pensions to a QROPS super will no longer have to wait 5 years to access more than 25% of the super in cash?
  3. Linday

    cpv143 2nd instalment fee

    Yes, we transferred the money via HiFx to our daughter's account in Australia and she got the bank to issue a bank draft which she sent to the Parent visa centre with a covering letter.
  4. Linday

    Contributory Parent Visa Medicare Refund?

    I assume you are talking about the huge second VAC? Unfortunately it is non-refundable.
  5. Linday

    Change Parent visa category from 173 to 103

    Hi 1) There is some discussion on this on the parent visa thread on the next to last page which is a sticky at the top of the immigration forum.. You will need to validate your visa within one year from the date of police checks or medicals whichever is sooner. The general consensus seems to be that you get two years from the date of first entry into Australia, although the immigration website says from date of visa grant. However, I am not sure what happens if you validate your visa and then return to the UK. You might want to email the parent visa centre for clarification. 2) You would need to withdraw the 173 application and put in a new application for the 103, so yes you would need to pay the initial VAC again. I would try posting your query on the parent thread to see if anyone else can answer
  6. I will try and answer some of your questions although you have not made it clear whether your parents are still together or not. First of all it is your parents who will be applying for the visa, you will just sponsor them. I assume that your parents meet the Balance of Family test? 1)I assume that you mean the 143 here? On the form there is a question relating to their partner and if they are not emigrating then why not. I would think that the question of being able to afford the visa is a valid one and one parent staying behind to work. 2) The processing time for the 143 is currently around 18 months to 2 years and the second VAC is not requested until right at the end after the police checks, medicals and AOS have been paid. You normally get 28 days to pay it and you can request an extension, but you do need a valid reason. 3) I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be able to do this. Although the 103 has a long waiting list, around 10-15 years is being quoted –( would you parents want to be apart for so long?), however, someone has just posted on this thread that they got theirs after 8 years so who knows. If your parents are together then you might want to investigate the possibility of one of them being able to sponsor the other for a partner visa after five years, although I would take specialist advice from a reputable agent on the logisitics of this, as I am not sure if this is possible if they are no longer living together as one of them is in Australia. 4) Your mum would not be entitled to any Centrelink payments for 2 years. You can find more information here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/settle_pay_permres.htm http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/newly_arrived.htm As you would be putting up the AOS, it would be in your name and so interest would be payable to you every six months. We are currently getting around 4%. Hope this helps.
  7. Ooh, now I'm confused. Just had a look at the DIAB website which says: (under How Long Your Visa Lasts) This visa lets you live in Australia for two years from the date it is granted http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/173.aspx Seems very unclear.
  8. It's just like any other visa, you get one year from date of police checks or medicals, which ever is sooner, to validate. The 2 years starts from date of visa grant.
  9. 1) The 'settled' period is really about how settled you are in Australia, ie do you have a permanent job which you have held for a long period, rather than several different jobs in different places; have you stayed in one place, do you own a car, have children in school etc, rather than having moved around a lot. You can have been in Australia for 2 years as a permanent resident but still not be considered 'settled'. It also depends what other visas you were on as a temporary resident. You might want to take advice from a reputable agent if you intend to apply before 2 years as a permanent resident. 2) After visa grant your parents will have a year from the date of medicals or police checks to visit Australia to validate the visa. They then have 5 years from the date of visa grant to come and go as they please. They need to move to Australia before the five years are up. After that, if they are not citizens they will need to apply for a RRV to re-enter if they leave the country. 5) Have a look at the definition of dependent on the DIAB website: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/definitions.htm#index_d According to this he has to be dependent at the time of application.
  10. I don't think you will need to have a medical if you apply for a normal tourist visa. They normally come through pretty quick. My son applied for a 12 month visa and just had to show he had enough money to support himself and it came through within 2 days. Might be an idea to have a look at the application form to see what's involved.
  11. You might want to consult a migration agent if you are intending to apply before the 2 year period is up to see how strict they are now. It would be best to get them to guide you through it. Secondly, if you are applying for a visitor visa, it may not be in your interests to alert the IA to the fact that you are intending to stay as you might run the risk of having your visitor visa refused. You may not be aware, but you are able to purchase a property without being a permanent resident, subject to the Foreign Investment Review Board approval, and this usually means a new property, although you may have difficulty moving your furniture etc as the shipping companies usually need evidence of a visa. Or as you suggested it may be better just rent somewhere for a while. Parents of permanent residents can apply for a visitor visa for up to 12 months. With regard to going offshore before your parent visa is granted, it is vital that you keep in touch with your case officer and let them know you are in Australia. They will usually let you know when the visa is about to be granted, and you will of course have organised the AOS, so you will have a rough idea.
  12. Yes this is per parent for the 143 plus the initial visa application charge, plus 14000 AOS for a couple. The only alternatives are the 103, with the long wait or the 804, also a long wait and you need to be over 65.
  13. Have you thought about the 804 Aged Parent visa? This is same as the 103, but you can apply onshore and then be granted a bridging visa to allow you to stay in Australia till the parent visa is granted. There is a waiting time, I think about 8 or 9 years was quoted but not sure about this and you do have to pass a medical before the visa is granted. If you search for Alan Collett on here and message him I believe he has a fact sheet available. Hope this helps.
  14. As the 103 is an offshore visa then unfortunately there is no bridging visa to allow him to stay in Australia. Once he has applied for the 103 he can then apply for a 5 year visitor visa which allows him to visit Australia for up to 12 months at a time, but he must then leave for 6 months, ie he cannot spend more than 12 months in any 18 months period in Australia. One of the conditions of this visitor visa is that he must take our private health insurance for the periods spent in Australia. How old is your father? If he is over 65 have you considered the 804 Aged Parent visa?
  15. Linday

    CPV Sub class 143

    It's a beautiful city and quite close to stunning beaches but we are finding it very expensive. It's a little different from the rest of Australia, but lovely and clean.