Guest guest36187

G'Day all

We're saying this in a subdued way, as we are acutely aware that others on the thread are not in such a happy situation, but we have just received the (now not-so-long awaited) email/letter confirming the grant of our 173 visas. The timing is just 5 days short of 13 months from the date of acknowledgement of our application.

Our only daughter in Sydney is urging us to get on a plane ASAP in order to validate the 173s so that we can upgrade to 143s – which we think will take a few months. Of course, the financial situation and exchange rate makes things much tighter than they might have been, but we are in the fortunate situation of being able to afford this and the follow-up 143s – albeit with some serious belt-tightening. We chose this route to spread the costs – but of course the end result will be to pay out more in total!

As some may know, we have had some medical worries (Mike's prostate cancer operation three years ago, following a heart scare – itself now known to have been fairly minor) but it should give heart to others in this situation, as it shows that with meticulous preparation, detailed reports from consultants – and a generous pinch of good luck – you can get through this. Deep thanks are due to the sadly missed (from this site) Gollywobbler for her enormous help and advice on this.

The very best of luck to all those who follow and worry.

Sue and Mike

Congratulations. Very exciting

ariomart

G'Day all

We're saying this in a subdued way, as we are acutely aware that others on the thread are not in such a happy situation, but we have just received the (now not-so-long awaited) email/letter confirming the grant of our 173 visas. The timing is just 5 days short of 13 months from the date of acknowledgement of our application.

Our only daughter in Sydney is urging us to get on a plane ASAP in order to validate the 173s so that we can upgrade to 143s – which we think will take a few months. Of course, the financial situation and exchange rate makes things much tighter than they might have been, but we are in the fortunate situation of being able to afford this and the follow-up 143s – albeit with some serious belt-tightening. We chose this route to spread the costs – but of course the end result will be to pay out more in total!

As some may know, we have had some medical worries (Mike's prostate cancer operation three years ago, following a heart scare – itself now known to have been fairly minor) but it should give heart to others in this situation, as it shows that with meticulous preparation, detailed reports from consultants – and a generous pinch of good luck – you can get through this. Deep thanks are due to the sadly missed (from this site) Gollywobbler for her enormous help and advice on this.

The very best of luck to all those who follow and worry.

Sue and Mike

Congratulations! It must be a great relief after the health worries with the visa. It's good to hear that someone else is heading to Sydney too-I sometimes feel quite out of it with so many off to Perth!

Whereabouts are you planning to base yourselves? I'm starting in Forestville /Terrey Hills staying with my son and then my daughter but I hope that will only be for September as I'd like to rent from October onwards:Avalon if I can find something suitable and affordable!!!

Meanwhile just 4 more days at work and 13 days till the shipping company arrive -its beginning to feel real at last!

Hope you can enjoy a celebratory drink tonight

Fiz

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me on this my parents are panicking. They have applied for an offshore contributory parent visa - so please help me out on the following if you have any idea

1)how long do they get after having the visa granted before they have to enter Australia to validate it?

2) Once they have validated do they have to come and live in Oz straight away

this is obviously because of concerns with the exchange rate and I can't seem to find the answers online.

Thanks so much

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me on this my parents are panicking. They have applied for an offshore contributory parent visa - so please help me out on the following if you have any idea

1)how long do they get after having the visa granted before they have to enter Australia to validate it?

this is obviously because of concerns with the exchange rate and I can't seem to find the answers online.

Thanks so much

Hi

As I understand it once the visa is granted you have to validate it within 12 months some people combine it with a holiday but your parents can literally take a flight land on Australian soil (which would validate the visas) then return home the same day.

They then have 5 years....but have to spend at least 24 months of this is Australia (not necessarily all at once) I believe to show 'commitment' if they do not do this I understand they would lose their visa.

There are many more people on here with a lot more knowledge then me so if anyone can confirm or correct this it would be appreciated.

Good Luck to your parents :wink:

Phoebe

Thanks so much

Just what Phoebe says, and I would add:

The 12-month validation period normally runs from the date of the medical examination.

The 5-year period runs from the date of visa grant.

As I understand it, technically, after validation, you could arrive in Australia 1 day before the visa expires at the end of the 5-year period; but if you then want to go out of Australia for any reason (say for a holiday), you will need to apply for a returning resident's visa (because although you are a permanent resident, you would not be able to re-enter on the CPV as it would have expired). To get one of these you need to show a commitment to Australia which is normally 2 years of residence.

Good luck

Steve

Just a thought but anyone else heading for Melbourne...Mornington Peninsula...would love go catch up once there and settled

Hi we arrived in Torquay, (Great Ocean Road) on 14th June, not too far from MP. Would love to get together some time once you are settled. Keep in touch - you can always PM, would be happy to hear from you.

Gill & David

Yes, there does seem to have been a big increase in the fees this time and to upgrade to the 143 you pay the fee that is applicable at the time you apply.

Also when you are a pemanent resident you can get the Seniors card which gives lots of discounts off various things, including electric and water I understand.

Yes, there does seem to have been a big increase in the fees this time and to upgrade to the 143 you pay the fee that is applicable at the time you apply.

Also when you are a pemanent resident you can get the Seniors card which gives lots of discounts off various things, including electric and water I understand.

You're right about the Seniors Card, it's brilliant and we use ours all the time. Sadly, you don't get a discount off electricity though, only gas. A water discount is only available if you own your own home I think.

You're right about the Seniors Card, it's brilliant and we use ours all the time. Sadly, you don't get a discount off electricity though, only gas. A water discount is only available if you own your own home I think.

We live in NSW (we have got seniors cards) and having seen your post I have tried to find some information about discounts off Gas/Electricity or water....but I can't. Any discount would be very welcome. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

We live in NSW (we have got seniors cards) and having seen your post I have tried to find some information about discounts off Gas/Electricity or water....but I can't. Any discount would be very welcome. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Hi

I wish I could but I haven't found anything yet. It is probably like the discount at Brumbies Bakers - you have to ask.

Charlie

:unsure:

Hi do you mean you pay at the rate of original or new application.

cheers Mike.

Guest Janey1954
Hi do you mean you pay at the rate of original or new application.

cheers Mike.

Hi Mike

I'm on the 173 route as well - as far as I understand it, we will have to pay the going rate when we apply for the 173 to 143. It has gone up as follows:

1st instalment - 2010 = $235 2011 = $270 (per application)

2nd instalment - 2010 = $15,185 2011 = $16,005 (per person)

Whats worse is that when we started looking into it 2 years ago it was $230/$13,730 respectively!!! Eeek Thats an increase of $4,590 just for the second bit!!! (for 2 peeps)

OR approx £21,520 compared with £12,306 2 years ago!!:arghh: OMG - I wish I hadnt done that calculation!!!

Guest Janey1954

Question -

Our sponsor (son) has moved rental accommodation - should he just send PVC a letter or will I have to fill in form 1022?

Hi Mike

I'm on the 173 route as well - as far as I understand it, we will have to pay the going rate when we apply for the 173 to 143. It has gone up as follows:

1st instalment - 2010 = $235 2011 = $270 (per application)

2nd instalment - 2010 = $15,185 2011 = $16,005 (per person)

Whats worse is that when we started looking into it 2 years ago it was $230/$13,730 respectively!!! Eeek Thats an increase of $4,590 just for the second bit!!! (for 2 peeps)

OR approx £21,520 compared with £12,306 2 years ago!!:arghh: OMG - I wish I hadnt done that calculation!!!

I meant the rate of the second part to convert to 143 from 173.

sorry for the confusion

cheers.

Mike.

Hi folks

Bit calmer now. First apologies, I had had a very bad day and the comment made, very innocently, about house prices just struck a raw nerve. :arghh:

Secondly a HUGE thanks for all the support offered. It does not help with the financials but it certainly helps the sanity.:goofy:

Thirdly, Do not talk in subdued tones about getting your visa CELEBRATE and CONGATULATIONS on winning through.:jiggy: All of us should be happy that some are making it. We can be envious and jealous but should never be vindictive to those that have acheived their dream.

Anyway to answer some of the questions in no particular order.

The charges to upgrade from a 173 to a 143 are those applicable at the time of application.

You have to validate any visa covered here within 12 months of the police or medical checks whichever is the sooner.

On a 143, you can, as steve says leave your move till one day before the five years expire but if you leave the country before having spent two years in Oz you will be subject to a RRV (returning residents Visa) and all its associated costs.

I have information (yet to be confirmed ) that on a 173, as all other visas you have to validate within the usual 12 months of meds etc, but the two year visa period does not start until validation. The upside is that it appears the visa can be stretched to cover nearly 3 years and it does not have to be spent in Oz. :err:

Thought we were seeing a steady rise in stirling but it has dropped back a bit.

Keep posting, keep supporting, you really are all wonderful people.

Pete and Marg

Hi folks

but if you leave the country before having spent two years in Oz you will be subject to a RRV (returning residents Visa) and all its associated costs.

Pete and Marg

Hi

Sorry but this is not correct. Everyone who has NOT got Australian citizenship needs to get a residents return visa (RRV) before leaving Australia. In fact you would find it quite difficult to get a RRV if you had spent less than 2 years in Australia. There are exceptions for urgent family reasons etc but these are exceptions.

Charlie

Hi

Sorry but this is not correct. Everyone who has NOT got Australian citizenship needs to get a residents return visa (RRV) before leaving Australia. In fact you would find it quite difficult to get a RRV if you had spent less than 2 years in Australia. There are exceptions for urgent family reasons etc but these are exceptions.

Charlie

Now I am confused...so if I wanted to pop back to the UK for 10 days holiday I have to get an RRV before going. I have a permanent CPV?

Now I am confused...so if I wanted to pop back to the UK for 10 days holiday I have to get an RRV before going. I have a permanent CPV?

Depends if your parent visa is still valid. If youi want to leave Aus before the 5 years validity has run out then there is no problem, you can leave and enter to your hearts content.

However, if you move out to Australia near to the end of the 5 year period, you could have a problem as you wil finf it difficult to prove that you are an Australian resident after such a short time.

Hope this is clearer than mud?

Charlie