Do you consider yourself Australian?

Red Rose

1 minute ago, Parley said:

When i was a kid in England everyone said addeeedas    for adidas.

In Australia it was addidas.

Took me a while to get used to that one.

But I think once you live in a country you should adopt the local pronunciations.

What!!! You’re telling me that I’ve got to sound Australian now🤐

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

But I think once you live in a country you should adopt the local pronunciations.

I never heard addeeedas in the UK. Always heard addidas.

22 minutes ago, Parley said:

Never heard Addeedas in England 

The day I say the colour Maroon like an Australian Mar-Roan is the day I cut my tongue out 

Place names I’ll give you yes pronounce as said in the country but other words, names and various things no I’m happy sticking with my accent and pronunciation unless really needed 

I’ve had this conversation with other English people here and Aussies who’ve noticed that Australians struggle to correctly pronounce sometimes European places or names especially surnames correctly. The sometimes say them literally rather than how that European country of most of Europe may pronounce it . 

I’ve particularly noticed it with sports stars in Australia surnames of European origin pronounced completely wrong here 

I think it may come down to exposure they just aren’t exposed to the word as often 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

We all call it addeeedas, heard a few say it the other way but not many.

It's like we use Nike and not Nikey

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Parley said:

Please tell me you don't say yoggurt

Not sure i really want to get in on this one 😂

I say 'yogurt' and 'data'because that is the correct pronunciation...not yooogurt or darrtaa

Tell me if you do a bit of healthy exercise and go for a light run are you 'jogg-ing' or by what you are saying are you 'joe-ging'

2 minutes ago, bug family said:

I say 'yogurt' and 'data'because that is the correct pronunciation...not yooogurt or darrtaa

Tell me if you do a bit of healthy exercise and go for a light run are you 'jogg-ing' or by what you are saying are you 'joe-ging'

That doesn't reall apply as a comparison as it is spelt yoghurt

4 minutes ago, bug family said:

I don't really worry about pronunciation as long as I get the gist of what people are talking about.   It's not as though we are trying to understand a foreign language.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Parley said:

yep not to sure on that one 😬.....according to that logic I should now start hyphenating most words and add the letter 'o',

"I am going down the servo then the fisho, with my mate Damo and his friend steveo'....nope I think i will stick to English but thanks 😂

Just curious though if I was to move to say the country Jamaica, you would want me (as a European Caucasian) to start using the local Jamaican pronunciations.... that would be interesting 🤔 especially in today's climate

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

That doesn't reall apply as a comparison as it is spelt yoghurt

But where is the syllable break? Is it yo-ghurt (typically Australian and American) or yogh-urt (typically British) or even yog-hurt (typically confused)?

There is also an alternative spelling yogurt which is often seen in Australia.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ken said:

But where is the syllable break? Is it yo-ghurt (typically Australian and American) or yogh-urt (typically British) or even yog-hurt (typically confused)?

There is also an alternative spelling yogurt which is often seen in Australia.

Be happy (I am) that the English language, world-wide, has many grammatical variations, including vast variations on the predominant vowel bank: "AEIOU".

Check out the New Zealand News hour and vowels galore that just do not work for Australians. Is that a "pig, or a peg?" I am stuffed if I can translate it. Yet these nuances are what make the English language word wide.

When I went to school, if you were using two adjectives to describe a noun then you have to hyphenate the two, or more hyphens more according to the adjectives. So in the case of a blond haired suspect at a bank robbery in Bondi then that person is a blonde-haired suspect. 

Syllable breaks are even more common.

UK: YOG-URT

Australia: Yoe-Gurt.

UK:  Caff ( usually a tea room or coffee house)

Australia: Caffay, given that the word "café" is pronounced given the agrave accent on the "e"

UK: Garage: "Garridge" ( where you park your your car under shelter)

Australia: Gararrge:

UK: Homage:  "O'marge"

Australia: "HOMidge"

and so it goes on.

😎

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bug family said:

Actually they’re both correct and there’s a third, also correct.

I don’t think try hards do too well in a different country. Just be yourself. If you want to pronounce words in different ways- do so. Don’t worry about being called out by either your British friends and family or your Australian counterparts. Do what comes naturally. Most immigrants end up with a hybrid accent and choice of phrases. You might avoid certain words or phrases when talking to people ‘back home’ purely because they won’t get it. You might find it happens organically and you’re unaware of what you’re doing, that’s what happens when you’ve integrated into your new society, be it Spain, Italy, USA, Australia or any other place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Australia: Caffay, given that the word "café" is pronounced given the agrave accent on the "e"

In the part of Scotland Im from, we would say “yoe-gurt” “caffay” and “homidge”. Never heard anyone call it a caff and unsure if that’s the pronunciation across the whole of England, or more of a London thing? Certainly not UK wide though.

Can’t really blame the Aussie’s  for copying the Scot’s though I suppose 😁

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

In the part of Scotland Im from, we would say “yoe-gurt” “caffay” and “homidge”. Never heard anyone call it a caff and unsure if that’s the pronunciation across the whole of England, or more of a London thing? Certainly not UK wide though.

Can’t really blame the Aussie’s  for copying the Scot’s though I suppose 😁

In the part of England I'm from "caff" was a pronunciation used for a greasy spoon type cafe - but not for a tea and scones type cafe. "Homidge" was also used as putting on a French accent to say "O'marge" would have been considered pretentious - although of course theatrical lovelies would say it that way because of course they are pretentious.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 19:32, Dusty Plains said:

Be happy (I am) that the English language, world-wide, has many grammatical variations, including vast variations on the predominant vowel bank: "AEIOU".

Check out the New Zealand News hour and vowels galore that just do not work for Australians. Is that a "pig, or a peg?" I am stuffed if I can translate it. Yet these nuances are what make the English language word wide.

When I went to school, if you were using two adjectives to describe a noun then you have to hyphenate the two, or more hyphens more according to the adjectives. So in the case of a blond haired suspect at a bank robbery in Bondi then that person is a blonde-haired suspect. 

Syllable breaks are even more common.

and so it goes on.

😎

Coming from Derbyshire you could pick which village people were from by the accent. Going to Sheffield on weekends, only a 12 mile train trip, the accents were totally different. Dying out a lot now, Chesterfield and Sheffield almost jouined up.

I noticed on my last couple of viists to the uk in 2018 and 2019 i felt more Aussie in some ways than in times past (i  have been in Aus 10 years, am in mid 40s ) , just the general way people speak and carry themselves, it felt a bit alien to begin with rather than the familiar of " ah, i'm home". 

Always happy to get on  a plane  back to Aus now, and that it is home. The first few years weren't easy at all and of course I still miss uk based family,  but otherwise very settled now. 

Some things i notice with frustration when i  go back to the uk after being in  Aus ( specifically Melbourne - food , cafe culture, hospitality etc) and go somewhere like Manchester or even London it all seems a bit second rate and not "together"  and poor quality  in comparison - or at least there's more of a search for quality rather than the overall standard being high. 

It always seems so crowded and many areas run down too . Aus is a heap load more shiny - and clean -  in general. 

Also find now that i increasingly get frustrated with the indirect British way of  talking about everything, having to read people's minds to know what they are thinking, not upfront, the perceived "class" behaviours e.g which supermarket you go to  FFS. that's sad and tedious but it permeates uk life and all races and ages, even if they dont see it themselves. .    I still love British humour of course. 

• Like 5