Do you consider yourself Australian?

Red Rose

23 minutes ago, jimmyay1 said:

I noticed on my last couple of viists to the uk in 2018 and 2019 i felt more Aussie in some ways than in times past (i  have been in Aus 10 years, am in mid 40s ) , just the general way people speak and carry themselves, it felt a bit alien to begin with rather than the familiar of " ah, i'm home". 

Always happy to get on  a plane  back to Aus now, and that it is home. The first few years weren't easy at all and of course I still miss uk based family,  but otherwise very settled now. 

Some things i notice with frustration when i  go back to the uk after being in  Aus ( specifically Melbourne - food , cafe culture, hospitality etc) and go somewhere like Manchester or even London it all seems a bit second rate and not "together"  and poor quality  in comparison - or at least there's more of a search for quality rather than the overall standard being high. 

It always seems so crowded and many areas run down too . Aus is a heap load more shiny - and clean -  in general. 

Also find now that i increasingly get frustrated with the indirect British way of  talking about everything, having to read people's minds to know what they are thinking, not upfront, the perceived "class" behaviours e.g which supermarket you go to  FFS. that's sad and tedious but it permeates uk life and all races and ages, even if they dont see it themselves. .    I still love British humour of course. 

I agree with a lot of the above especially how you find the large cities.  The countryside is still beautiful though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snoozy said:

No, I've never considerd myself to be Australian. I've lived here for 43 years and I'm still a permanent resident. I cannot bring myself to be a citizen of Australia. I don't belong here and never will. 

That is so sad, to be stuck in a country where you’re not happy 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Snoozy said:

No, I've never considerd myself to be Australian. I've lived here for 43 years and I'm still a permanent resident. I cannot bring myself to be a citizen of Australia. I don't belong here and never will. 

Sorry to hear that @Snoozy I'm sure you have your reasons why you can't move back to the UK.  If you ever want to vent just do so on this forum. There are a few other folk here in the same boat as yourself.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Snoozy said:

Hey, I'm up for 43 years in a few weeks too! I did eat the vegemite sandwich many years ago otherwise I couldn't have worked (turns out I didnt need to in the end). Like you, dont belong and never will!  Still, you often are faced with the least worst option huh!

• Like 2

On 02/02/2022 at 12:24, jimmyay1 said:

I noticed on my last couple of viists to the uk in 2018 and 2019 i felt more Aussie in some ways than in times past (i  have been in Aus 10 years, am in mid 40s ) , just the general way people speak and carry themselves, it felt a bit alien to begin with rather than the familiar of " ah, i'm home". 

Always happy to get on  a plane  back to Aus now, and that it is home. The first few years weren't easy at all and of course I still miss uk based family,  but otherwise very settled now. 

Some things i notice with frustration when i  go back to the uk after being in  Aus ( specifically Melbourne - food , cafe culture, hospitality etc) and go somewhere like Manchester or even London it all seems a bit second rate and not "together"  and poor quality  in comparison - or at least there's more of a search for quality rather than the overall standard being high. 

It always seems so crowded and many areas run down too . Aus is a heap load more shiny - and clean -  in general. 

Also find now that i increasingly get frustrated with the indirect British way of  talking about everything, having to read people's minds to know what they are thinking, not upfront, the perceived "class" behaviours e.g which supermarket you go to  FFS. that's sad and tedious but it permeates uk life and all races and ages, even if they dont see it themselves. .    I still love British humour of course. 

This just goes to show how different we all are...I have found the complete opposite, having been to Melbourne, Sydney and Perth ( where I currently  live) I find Australia a soul less place, sadly lacking in the culture you find in London or Manchester, I personally can find more to do in one square mile of London than in the whole city of Perth, as for the supermarkets, in my opinion there is no comparison, in the UK I have the choice of 9 major supermarkets with way more choice ....here I have Cole or Woolworths rinse and repeat Across every suburb Australia wide,  it's as boring as toast here ...unless you like sun burn,  Aussie rules, burnouts and BBQ's there is not a lot else going on 😬

Edited by bug family
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, bug family said:

in the UK I have the choice of 9 major supermarkets with way more choice ....here I have Cole or Woolworths rinse and repeat Across every suburb Australia wide

Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, Spudshed, Farmer Jacks, IGA, Costco, plus numerous Asian, Indian and other ‘ethnic’ supermarkets. Produce on offer is a different discussion and you may prefer the UK stores (I don’t), but to say there isn’t choice of supermarkets here simply isn’t true.

Edited by MacGyver
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bug family said:

This just goes to show how different we all are...I have found the complete opposite, having been to Melbourne, Sydney and Perth ( where I currently  live) I find Australia a soul less place, sadly lacking in the culture you find in London or Manchester, I personally can find more to do in one square mile of London than in the whole city of Perth, as for the supermarkets, in my opinion there is no comparison, in the UK I have the choice of 9 major supermarkets with way more choice ....here I have Cole or Woolworths rinse and repeat Across every suburb Australia wide,  it's as boring as toast here ...unless you like sun burn,  Aussie rules, burnouts and BBQ's there is not a lot else going on 😬

I for one couldn't give a toss about cities or supermarkets for that matter.  I've got better things to do with myself.  No, I love the countryside, the hills and the sea.  I just enjoy the peace and the freedom and being with animals.  I can find all that here.  Good job we're not all the same though.  😋

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Parley said:

Doesn't everyone just go to the closest supermarket to their home?

My closest is Woolworths so I go there 99.9% of the time.

Coles and Woolies are side by side here.  Handy when each one has "specials".  Never pay full price for detergents and other non-perishables. Stock up with enough to last a few months.  It must be almost a month since I was in either of them. Husband gets his meat from a local butcher, milk, eggs and cheese from the local dairy and fruit and veg from the fruit and veggie shops and fish off the boat.  Apart from the dairy they are all walking distance from the house.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Parley said:

Doesn't everyone just go to the closest supermarket to their home?

My closest is Woolworths so I go there 99.9% of the time.

I do usually. Purely for convenience. We use the Indian grocer and the fruit and veg shop for other things. Sometimes I go to IGA for meat (better than Coles) as our local butcher closed down. Farmers markets are good too. 

17 hours ago, bug family said:

.unless you like sun burn,  Aussie rules, burnouts and BBQ's there is not a lot else going on 😬

Mysteriously I manage to be fully occupied without any of those things in my life.  In fact I could be fully occupied 10 times over if I had the time and energy.  There are many Australias and not all of us experience yours (fortunately 🙄).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, bug family said:

I don’t do any of those things yet I could do with more waking hours.  I just don’t understand the laziness of most people…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quoll, If only I had the knowledge when I was young. I would never have come here. I came with my ex like a good wife. He had asthma and was very ill back home. He was cured by the hot climate. He told me it just like England only a bit bigger and a bit more heat in summer. I was so naive I believed him. I never wanted to leave but felt I had to give it a try for his health. I'm trapped in exile here.  I've been down the counselling road. I studied Psychology and can find my own ways of coping. I busy myself with my art and various other interests. I can't go out in the unbearable heat. My life is behind roller shutters, blackened out windows, as I can't bear the glare in the sky. I long for grey  cloudy skies, rain and so much more.That's all I see is a vast ocean, shopping malls, (yawn) endless boring suburbs. Empty streets no children playing. Superficial people too busy buying the next big car, house or boat etc. I have no desire for material wealth. I have learnt to be alone and I'm ok with it now. I have one trusted friend and I feel grateful for that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Snoozy said:

Quoll, If only I had the knowledge when I was young. I would never have come here. I came with my ex like a good wife. He had asthma and was very ill back home. He was cured by the hot climate. He told me it just like England only a bit bigger and a bit more heat in summer. I was so naive I believed him. I never wanted to leave but felt I had to give it a try for his health. I'm trapped in exile here.  I've been down the counselling road. I studied Psychology and can find my own ways of coping. I busy myself with my art and various other interests. I can't go out in the unbearable heat. My life is behind roller shutters, blackened out windows, as I can't bear the glare in the sky. I long for grey  cloudy skies, rain and so much more.That's all I see is a vast ocean, shopping malls, (yawn) endless boring suburbs. Empty streets no children playing. Superficial people too busy buying the next big car, house or boat etc. I have no desire for material wealth. I have learnt to be alone and I'm ok with it now. I have one trusted friend and I feel grateful for that. 

Hi Snoozy

Were abouts is it you live only I find it funny regarding the superficial thing as we have found it the complete opposite since moving to Adelaide from the UK.

Although I know Adelaide is more relaxed it was refreshing to see young kids driving around in bangers and casual clothes, compared to the UK where the 17 yr olds want the latest Mercedes once passing there test, and only designer clothes to wear 

Edited by Lavers

3 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I find it funny regarding the superficial thing as we have found it the complete opposite since moving to Adelaide from the UK.

Although I know Adelaide is more relaxed it was refreshing to see young kids driving around in bangers and casual clothes, compared to the UK where the 17 yr olds want the latest Mercedes once passing there test, and only designer clothes to wear 

It just goes to prove what we often say about Australia.  Would-be migrants talk about moving to Australia and "the Australian dream" as if the whole country is the same all over.  It isn't.  I loved living in Sydney for over 30 years (until we got priced out).   I love living in Melbourne but it's a different lifestyle.   I could imagine living in Adelaide because I've visited often and liked it, but it would be a different lifestyle again - quieter, among other things. I couldn't live in Perth, or Darwin.  It's no different from any other country - different regions have different flavours.

40 minutes ago, Snoozy said:

Gee, wish you lived near me, we would probably get along! For me its knitting and family history - and, Praise the Lord, air conditioning (my DH finally agreed we should get it!!!)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Snoozy said:

It's good you feel you could reveal in part your real feelings with regards to Australia. I recall at one stage you felt unduly criticized for voicing similar comments on this forum. 

I'd say hold your ground. You have lived here way long enough to know what is what, and nothing wrong with stating it is not for you. 

I'm not a big fan, but quite like the sun.  I deplore the greed and arrogance and lack of ethics and tolerance of illegal activity that abounds in my neighbourhood with little willingness on any part to tackle what is a very serious matter.   I also hardly ever 'do' shopping centres, hate the auto dependency of Perth, yes the falseness of the people can be grueling. Empty streets (tick) never get used to that , or poor street lighting, drugs a way of life either through consumption or the making of wealth of it. 

One good friend is worth a dozen fair weathered' friends' so count your blessings there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It just goes to prove what we often say about Australia.  Would-be migrants talk about moving to Australia and "the Australian dream" as if the whole country is the same all over.  It isn't.  I loved living in Sydney for over 30 years (until we got priced out).   I love living in Melbourne but it's a different lifestyle.   I could imagine living in Adelaide because I've visited often and liked it, but it would be a different lifestyle again - quieter, among other things. I couldn't live in Perth, or Darwin.  It's no different from any other country - different regions have different flavours.

I think with the UK being alot smaller you don't really see massive changes in how people act, apart from the rich areas of course.

As people said before we came, Australia is 20 yrs behind the rest of the world and Adelaide is 30 haha.

With a young family though Adelaide is perfect, kids may get a little bored when they get older though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Hi Snoozy

Were abouts is it you live only I find it funny regarding the superficial thing as we have found it the complete opposite since moving to Adelaide from the UK.

Warmer climates tend to give the appearance of more relaxed but never found Adelaide especially so. A bit up tight if I'm honest and hard to break further than the surface. Big drug problem as well, as stats say more methamphetamine is present there than any other city in the world. Over taking Perth, which is saying something. 

But there are definitely aspects of Adelaide I like  and did give it more than a passing look once when considering options to move from Perth. 

1 hour ago, Snoozy said:

So why haven’t you moved to a state/territory that isn’t hot or Luce outside suburbia?  These posts are illogical…

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I think with the UK being alot smaller you don't really see massive changes in how people act, apart from the rich areas of course.

Perhaps it is something to do with the fact that the capital cities are so far apart, and would've been relatively isolated from each other until air travel became common.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Warmer climates tend to give the appearance of more relaxed but never found Adelaide especially so. A bit up tight if I'm honest and hard to break further than the surface. Big drug problem as well, as stats say more methamphetamine is present there than any other city in the world. Over taking Perth, which is saying something. 

But there are definitely aspects of Adelaide I like  and did give it more than a passing look once when considering options to move from Perth. 

We've found it really good and everyone we have met so far have been brilliant and can't seem to do enough for us.

Not really noticed the drug side of things but then that won't be much different from where we lived in the UK.

Crime is definitely lower where we are here compared to the UK, break ins and cars stolen of drives was an everyday occurrence.

• Like 2