Do you consider yourself Australian?

Red Rose

On 07/05/2021 at 18:58, Red Rose said:

C'mon the vast vast majority of poms in Oz would support England in the Ashes. I would find it very strange to hear someone with an English accent supporting Australia. 

As someone with an English accent I'll always support the underdog. That means if I think England is going to win I'll support Australia, but if I think Australia is going to win I'll support England.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 07/05/2021 at 16:58, Red Rose said:

C'mon the vast vast majority of poms in Oz would support England in the Ashes. I would find it very strange to hear someone with an English accent supporting Australia. 

For the first year or so maybe. When I knew who the players were.

Now I know the Australian players, wouldn't have a clue who plays for England, so would be more inclined to support Aus.

Guess it's just a part of the integration process.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 19:47, HappyHeart said:

I don't even like sport but if probably cheer for Australia over UK tbh. (Though I'd still be keen to see UK wins) We actually had this convo yesterday about the Olympics and my son looked at me like I was silly when I asked who he'd be cheering for. 

My husband would support Britain over Aus in football if they were playing each other otherwise equal. If it was any other sport he'd go for Australia 

Good call on your hubbys part. England football team should beat Aus. Never a given but they should have a far better, more professional side.

They would certainly be disappointed if they lost.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 20:06, Red Rose said:

Haha, but I think the sport angle actually gives a glimpse of where your loyalties really lie. Poms may love Australia, and love living in Australia, but more often than not they'll  still be supporting England in the Ashes, the Lions against Australia, GB in the Olympics etc etc. As I said before, it would be very strange to hear someone with a UK accent supporting Australia over a British team. 

With the olympics I wouldn't have a clue who the UK athletes are, so you don't feel as involved somehow. It's nice to know a bit of the background in who you are supporting.

Pity that athletics is not on TV more, much rather watch that than US basketball or any other US sport come to that. Obviously swimming in Australias biggest medal hopes, love watching that. 

I'm amazed it's still going ahead TBH. Won't be half the spectacle it usually is, specially the athletics track. Not nearly as much fun for the competitors either. 

Suppose it will save thousands in provision of condoms though😆

• Like 1

On 08/05/2021 at 10:07, Bulya said:

Sport is a very dirty word in the Australian government, has been for quite some time.  I’m within walking distance of the AIS and it’s pretty much empty.  Talk of selling half of it.  There’s money in the AFL, NRL, Netball and that’s about it.  

Strange thing isn't it, WAIS is going through a bad patch at the moment. A load of ex girl gymasts have got together recently and accused WAIS of bullying and numerous other things they claim is now affecting their mental health and wellbeing. 

They obviously wanted to be the best they could at one time, otherwise they wouldn't have been at WAIS. WAIS and I'm guessing the AIS knew that the best gymnasts were coming out of Russia and China, so got Russian and Chinese coaches, who had Russian and Chinese discipline and manners. 

No one forced them to go, well maybe their parents at the time, if they didn't like it,  couldn't hack it they should have quit. I used to swim a lot at challenge stadium, my son was in squads there. Looking back on it there were kids in there who could say the coach was being a bully. Certainly was pretty strict, but they wanted to be good competetive swimmers. You could see into the gymastic area and watch the kids train. You could see it was tough and I've seen kids in tears after being spoken to by the coach. 

If you want to be the best in the world it's not going to be easy and the coach isn't going to tell you how well you are doing when you don't perform. Only the very dedicated and talented people make it. If you can't take the discipline and/or perceived bullying then stop going.

A lot of kids these days would sooner sit in front of a computer and play e-sports where they can make a lot of money if they're really good, unfortunately. 

A lot of real sport is suffering as a consequence.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Strange thing isn't it, WAIS is going through a bad patch at the moment. A load of ex girl gymasts have got together recently and accused WAIS of bullying and numerous other things they claim is now affecting their mental health and wellbeing. 

They obviously wanted to be the best they could at one time, otherwise they wouldn't have been at WAIS. WAIS and I'm guessing the AIS knew that the best gymnasts were coming out of Russia and China, so got Russian and Chinese coaches, who had Russian and Chinese discipline and manners. 

No one forced them to go, well maybe their parents at the time, if they didn't like it,  couldn't hack it they should have quit. I used to swim a lot at challenge stadium, my son was in squads there. Looking back on it there were kids in there who could say the coach was being a bully. Certainly was pretty strict, but they wanted to be good competetive swimmers. You could see into the gymastic area and watch the kids train. You could see it was tough and I've seen kids in tears after being spoken to by the coach. 

If you want to be the best in the world it's not going to be easy and the coach isn't going to tell you how well you are doing when you don't perform. Only the very dedicated and talented people make it. If you can't take the discipline and/or perceived bullying then stop going.

A lot of kids these days would sooner sit in front of a computer and play e-sports where they can make a lot of money if they're really good, unfortunately. 

A lot of real sport is suffering as a consequence.

You can see lots of female athletes in Australia, especially those from track & field, have moved to AFLW.  Guaranteed money and prestige.  As more teams are added more will follow, and why not?

Edited by Bulya
Addition
  • Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 17:20, Bulya said:

Of course I support Australia.  If I didn’t I’d leave. 

Leave? Why? It's a sporting contest not defending a foreign invasion by aliens. Surely the Norman Tebbit Cricket test as a pointer towards loyalty and belonging belongs to the eighties ? Where obviously it best remains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Leave? Why? It's a sporting contest not defending a foreign invasion by aliens. Surely the Norman Tebbit Cricket test as a pointer towards loyalty and belonging belongs to the eighties ? Where obviously it best remains.

How long have you been in Australia?

On 07/05/2021 at 11:17, Jon the Hat said:

Sport is different through.  I don't live in Leicester anymore, but I will remain a Leicester city fan until I die (there is even a chant about it :)) So when I move to Australia I would probably support Australia in anything not against England.  Half the fun is the banter about the result!

You lot know how it is in the U.K.? English don't mind cheering on other home nations sports teams/men/women. The others love to see England lose. When I was in oz I always cheered on England or British teams but as someone said the Aussies are such bad losers it's hard not to. Sandpaper anyone?!

...quoted for the Leicester love. What a time to be a fan

Edited by emanyalpsid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emanyalpsid said:

You lot know how it is in the U.K.? English don't mind cheering on other home nations sports teams/men/women. The others love to see England lose. When I was in oz I always cheered on England or British teams but as someone said the Aussies are such bad losers it's hard not to. Sandpaper anyone?!

Minor transgression compared to the multiple times English  crickets were caught.  Zips, mints, dirt in pockets etc etc.  I think it’s known as selective memory…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 years ago I would have said Australia were, per capita, the best sporting nation on earth. The best cricket team; one of the best rugby teams (the wallabies were a lot stronger then than they are now); amazing tennis players: Pat Rafter, Hewitt, Pat Cash, the Woodies; one of the best golf players in Greg Norman (although he never won a major); best swimmers in the world. Since the Sydney games in 2000 my own entirely subjective view is that Australia is not nearly as strong as they used to be. On that basis it is perfectly understandable for most PIO to support the UK, being one of the best and most successful sporting nation's on earth.

17 hours ago, Bulya said:

You can see lots of female athletes in Australia, especially those from track & field, have moved to AFLW.  Guaranteed money and prestige.  As more teams are added more will follow, and why not?

I guess it will get better, it's still pretty dire to watch. I don't think the money is great yet and won't be till they get better crowds. The mens game will lose a lot to support the cost of running it.

There are an awful lot of lesbian chicks get attracted to it, that's for sure. Not going to suit everyone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red Rose said:

30 years ago I would have said Australia were, per capita, the best sporting nation on earth. The best cricket team; one of the best rugby teams (the wallabies were a lot stronger then than they are now); amazing tennis players: Pat Rafter, Hewitt, Pat Cash, the Woodies; one of the best golf players in Greg Norman (although he never won a major); best swimmers in the world. Since the Sydney games in 2000 my own entirely subjective view is that Australia is not nearly as strong as they used to be. On that basis it is perfectly understandable for most PIO to support the UK, being one of the best and most successful sporting nation's on earth.

Because all the money and expertise disappeared.  The Brits took so many AIS coaches and ancillary staff and then they went to the state sporting academies.  Australia had the expertise, they had the money.  Standing joke at the AIS re last out, turn off the lights (AIS were a client of mine for more than a decade). Until there’s a national lottery, or whatever it is they have in the U.K funding sport,  it won’t change.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, emanyalpsid said:

I am very stressed this week!  So much on the line.

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

I love to see Scotland win at Rugby, unless of course they are playing my other favourite team.   

Went to the rugby once, corporate do in a private box Brumbies played somebody.  Thankfully there was free food and drinks and I swore never again.   

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, emanyalpsid said:

Maybe in sport. However, as a born and bred Australian and as 32 years as a professional fire brigade officer, I spent quite some time at Leicester Fire and Rescue. We were treated like family at the main station in town and I always remember the friendships we made and have kept in contact ever since.   

26 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Maybe in sport. However, as a born and bred Australian and as 32 years as a professional fire brigade officer, I spent quite some time at Leicester Fire and Rescue. We were treated like family at the main station in town and I always remember the friendships we made and have kept in contact ever since.   

The one with the rickety old wooden doors off Welford rd? I've fixed a pair of those before. The point was generally the english will cheer on the other home nations if not against england, whereas its not always the case with the smaller nations cheering on england/english people

• Like 1