Do you consider yourself Australian?

Red Rose

It’s an individual feeling on peoples own experiences or circumstances 

We just got Australian citizenship back in November and received our passports recently. 

I moved here aged 41 I’m English and always will be . I will always support England or Great Britain at any sport 

I just can’t turn off 40 years 

We are over the moon to get Australian citizenship it was always our end goal and embrace the lifestyle here . To have dual citizenship is just fantastic but ultimately our main aim was to get it for our daughter aged 9 

She’s been here since the age of 4 and acts and talks more and more like an Australian which is fine and what is expected. She is already leaning towards Australia and we would never discourage that here is her home and ours now 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, PFC1975 said:

It’s an individual feeling on peoples own experiences or circumstances 

I think you're right, I was also 41 when we moved but don't have the same affinity for the UK.   I certainly didn't hate it but neither did I have any great sense of nationalistic pride.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ali said:

I think you're right, I was also 41 when we moved but don't have the same affinity for the UK.   I certainly didn't hate it but neither did I have any great sense of nationalistic pride.

Agreed I also don’t run around with some ridiculous nationalistic pride about how great the UK is . 

I have always loved sport that’s my Achilles heel for following England etc it’s not a tap you can just switch on or off 

13 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I just can't get my head around the long vowels thst my son, daughter and grandchildren use. Par-sta barth lar-st 

Me and hubby just look at each other with a 'what did they just say?' look on our face- and we get ripped by our British family for not talking 'properly! 🤣

Really?

How do you pronounce castle?

42 minutes ago, Toots said:

You could ask that question to people from every part of the UK.  It would be different.  I pronounce castle the same way HH does. 

I’m a car-stle, but I’m happy to say ‘Ey up me duck’  from years In Nottingham! In fact we say ey up vera instead of aloe ‘hello’ vera.

Our children picked up the local pronunciation every time we moved, so no one knows where they come from as they probably mix everything up when they speak.

Makes me laugh when you hear how broadcasters used to speak, no regional accents were allowed.

Sorry went off track. I am proud to be an Australian, but I will never feel as Australian as someone who was born here, as it isn’t my heritage.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Cass- el

Not Car- sl

I'm a northerner

Spotted you were a northerner when I saw how you pronounce bath and last. Pasta on the other hand is in my experience never pronounced Par-sta in any part of the UK.

Edited by Ken

12 minutes ago, Ken said:

Spotted you were a northerner when I saw how you pronounce bath and last. Pasta on the other hand is in my experience never pronounced Par-sta in any part of the UK.

It so is! How is it pronounced then? Not with a hard or short ‘a’ sound as I pronounce it?

I was in Lush once and the Southern sales assistant said the word bath at least 4 times before I realised what she was saying 🤣 I literally could not understand her. 

4 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

It so is! How is it pronounced then? Not with a hard or short ‘a’ sound as I pronounce it?

I was in Lush once and the Southern sales assistant said the word bath at least 4 times before I realised what she was saying 🤣 I literally could not understand her. 

What do you mean how is it pronounced? Southerners use a soft "a" for Pasta the same as Northerners despite the fact that Southerners use a hard "a" for bath, last and castle. I've also never noticed a difference between how Northerners and Southerners pronounce data - it's never dar-ta!

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Well then. You have to support Australia in everything from now on.

I take it you are having a laugh parley.....if your citizenship dictates that you must only support the teams of the country you reside in (i must have missed that bit in the ceremony )then it would be a very boring world, look at the football team Manchester united for example, has more followers around the world who don't live in Britain than that do....I pledged an oath to be a good citizen nothing more, which I have been ....my heart and soul belongs elsewhere, if people don't like or accept that I don't honestly care one bit  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/05/2021 at 17:33, Red Rose said:

To those Brits with Australian citizenship, do you consider yourself: Australian; British / Australian; or British (with an Australian passport)?

I have a lot of Australian friends with British passports, but none of them refer to themselves as British, whereas I get the feeling that pomsinoz are more likely to refer to themselves as Australian. 

I am 100 % British and always will be 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ken said:

What do you mean how is it pronounced? Southerners use a soft "a" for Pasta the same as Northerners despite the fact that Southerners use a hard "a" for bath, last and castle. I've also never noticed a difference between how Northerners and Southerners pronounce data - it's never dar-ta!

Agree.  I’ve never heard anyone in the UK say dar-ta or par-sta.  It’s never pronounced with a ‘r’ in it.  I’m southern and so is most of the people I know but I’ve never heard it on tv or anywhere said anything different.  

52 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Agree.  I’ve never heard anyone in the UK say dar-ta or par-sta.  It’s never pronounced with a ‘r’ in it.

No, no one does.  I think you're missing the point.  When a Scot or a Northerner sees "dar" they say "dar", but when someone like Stephen Fry sees it, he says, "D-a-a-a-a". The r isn't pronounced, it's just there to show it's a long a-a-a sound.

So what people are comparing is Londoners saying "P-a-a-a-s-t-a" and Scots saying "Pa-a-sta".  

It's not as big a contrast as Londoners saying "B-a-a-th" and Northerners saying "bath", but there's a definite difference.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Agree.  I’ve never heard anyone in the UK say dar-ta or par-sta.  It’s never pronounced with a ‘r’ in it.  I’m southern and so is most of the people I know but I’ve never heard it on tv or anywhere said anything different.  

I say dar-ta😳 and my kids say par-sta 🤣

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No, no one does.  I think you're missing the point.  When a Scot or a Northerner sees "dar" they say "dar", but when someone like Stephen Fry sees it, he says, "D-a-a-a-a". The r isn't pronounced, it's just there to show it's a long a-a-a sound.

So what people are comparing is Londoners saying "P-a-a-a-s-t-a" and Scots saying "Pa-a-sta".  

It's not as big a contrast as Londoners saying "B-a-a-th" and Northerners saying "bath", but there's a definite difference.

Thank you. Well explained!

• Like 1