Do you consider yourself Australian?

Red Rose

3 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

C'mon the vast vast majority of poms in Oz would support England in the Ashes. I would find it very strange to hear someone with an English accent supporting Australia. 

But has it occurred to you, that maybe that's because you lack imagination?   You can't imagine yourself doing it, so you're incapable of imagining that anyone else could do it.  

I live in Australia. I have no family here, no particular ties, no job (I'm retired).   If I felt even slightly more British than Australian, I'd leave.  Why would anyone live somewhere they don't feel they belong 100%, if they dont have to?  And frankly, I find it hard to understand why Brits who are so attached to Britain would stay long-term in Oz (unless, like Quoll, they don't have a choice).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Red Rose said:

The real barometer normally of where your heart lies is which team you support when England play Australia. I am going to guess that most of you will still support England still 😉

You’d be wrong.

22 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

C'mon the vast vast majority of poms in Oz would support England in the Ashes. I would find it very strange to hear someone with an English accent supporting Australia. 

Of course I support Australia.  If I didn’t I’d leave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

But has it occurred to you, that maybe that's because you lack imagination?   You can't imagine yourself doing it, so you're incapable of imagining that anyone else could do it.  

I live in Australia. I have no family here, no particular ties, no job (I'm retired).   If I felt even slightly more British than Australian, I'd leave.  Why would anyone live somewhere they don't feel they belong 100%, if they dont have to?  And frankly, I find it hard to understand why Brits who are so attached to Britain would stay long-term in Oz (unless, like Quoll, they don't have a choice).

Sport is different through.  I don't live in Leicester anymore, but I will remain a Leicester city fan until I die (there is even a chant about it :)) So when I move to Australia I would probably support Australia in anything not against England.  Half the fun is the banter about the result!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Sport is different through.  I don't live in Leicester anymore, but I will remain a Leicester city fan until I die (there is even a chant about it :)) So when I move to Australia I would probably support Australia in anything not against England.  Half the fun is the banter about the result!

You may be right.  I've never been much interested in sport

13 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

No ways, if we put attached a poll to this thread the vast majority of poms with dual citizenship would support England over Australia, probably at least 90% 

I would not say that 90% but its probably up there somewhere. But really who cares? Not me. As Bulya rightly stated here quite some time ago, the secret to being happy in Australia is to STOP BEING A POM.    

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

No ways, if we put attached a poll to this thread the vast majority of poms with dual citizenship would support England over Australia, probably at least 90% 

I don't even like sport but if probably cheer for Australia over UK tbh. (Though I'd still be keen to see UK wins) We actually had this convo yesterday about the Olympics and my son looked at me like I was silly when I asked who he'd be cheering for. 

My husband would support Britain over Aus in football if they were playing each other otherwise equal. If it was any other sport he'd go for Australia 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

I would not say that 90% but its probably up there somewhere. But really who cares? Not me. As Bulya rightly stated here quite some time ago, the secret to being happy in Australia is to STOP BEING A POM.    

Haha, but I think the sport angle actually gives a glimpse of where your loyalties really lie. Poms may love Australia, and love living in Australia, but more often than not they'll  still be supporting England in the Ashes, the Lions against Australia, GB in the Olympics etc etc. As I said before, it would be very strange to hear someone with a UK accent supporting Australia over a British team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

Haha, but I think the sport angle actually gives a glimpse of where your loyalties really lie. Poms may love Australia, and love living in Australia, but more often than not they'll  still be supporting England in the Ashes, the Lions against Australia, GB in the Olympics etc etc. As I said before, it would be very strange to hear someone with a UK accent supporting Australia over a British team. 

Don't be too hard on them. Australia is not doing too well in international sports at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Rose said:

I would support Australia against England every day of the week.

• Like 2

I would support England which is probably no surprise. I would also cheer on Scotland and Wales as I see them as part of my extended UK family.  As long as Australia weren’t playing the above teams, I’d cheer them on as I like them too.  

9 hours ago, Red Rose said:

And you have empirical data to support your hypothesis?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red Rose said:

The real barometer normally of where your heart lies is which team you support when England play Australia. I am going to guess that most of you will still support England still 😉

Australia for me, Wales 2nd for Rugby (because of my Dad) and England if they're playing anyone else.  I never thought my hubby would support Australia in the Ashes, but he does now, I think in part it's the familiarity with the players, seeing them play and feeling as if you know them/know their form - have an opinion when the selectors name the squad or give out the contracts and who they leave out.  We don't have that investment with the English team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bulya said:

True but do you understand why?

Yes, its obvious that most international sport is " not doing too well at the moment". 

Try this:

Maybe I should have said that Australia is doing very well at international sport at the moment. 😁  That would have been funnier. 

Edited by Dusty Plains

3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Yes, its obvious that most international sport is " not doing too well at the moment". 

Try this:

Maybe I should have said that Australia is doing very well at international sport at the moment. 😁  That would have been funnier. 

Sport is a very dirty word in the Australian government, has been for quite some time.  I’m within walking distance of the AIS and it’s pretty much empty.  Talk of selling half of it.  There’s money in the AFL, NRL, Netball and that’s about it.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Everyone has a choice unless they're mentally or physically incapacitated - or in prison.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

It's as simple or as complicated as one wants it to be. Just because making the choice is undesirable it doesn't make it impossible.

Respectfully disagree where emotional connections are concerned. I understand the logic but decision making isn't just about logic for many people. 

• Like 2