Do you consider yourself Australian?

Red Rose

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

We've found it really good and everyone we have met so far have been brilliant and can't seem to do enough for us.

Not really noticed the drug side of things but then that won't be much different from where we lived in the UK.

Crime is definitely lower where we are here compared to the UK, break ins and cars stolen of drives was an everyday occurrence.

I guess it depends on one's awareness to what's happening around them or indeed area lived. Very different from UK though. I failed to notice what was happening in my inner city area until (in intensity) a year or so ago and lived twenty years here. Not druggies as such , but those making a lot of money from making it.   Crime is high in certain suburbs in Perth but I'm sure in Adelaide as well. My area is mostly middle class people, Uni students and young families conducting illegal activities to a scale that beggars belief. 

Edited by Blue Flu

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

I think with the UK being alot smaller you don't really see massive changes in how people act, apart from the rich areas of course.

As people said before we came, Australia is 20 yrs behind the rest of the world and Adelaide is 30 haha.

With a young family though Adelaide is perfect, kids may get a little bored when they get older though.

Where as I see changes more in UK among people at times a short distance apart. Australia is one of the more uniform countries in manner that I have ever lived. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I guess it depends on one's awareness to what's happening around them or indeed area lived. Very different from UK though. I failed to notice what was happening in my inner city area until (in intensity) a year or so ago and lived twenty years here. Not druggies as such , but those making a lot of money from making it.   Crime is high in certain suburbs in Perth but I'm sure in Adelaide as well. My area is mostly middle class people, Uni students and young families conducting illegal activities to a scale that beggars belief. 

Move!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bulya said:

Move!

A typical response , but  the area has become so contaminated, with the response equally so , that a move will be a future consideration. Thing being of course this scourge is everywhere and apparently allowed to become mainstream.  But yes give in and move out is the course of action most have taken.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lavers said:

.......[edit] Crime is definitely lower where we are here compared to the UK, break ins and cars stolen of drives was an everyday occurrence.

Not sure where you lived before emigrating, but please don't assume that your negative experiences are standard for every one who lives in the UK. Of course there are areas (often ones that have suffered from decades of lack of investment, with low income households and significant numbers managing chronic ill health ) where the level of crime you describe is an issue. But is would be wrong to imply that house break ins and car thefts are accepted as a natural consequence no matter where you live. It's not my experience , nor that of my extended family who live right across the UK. I would add though that I'm genuinely pleased that you have landed on your feet and are clearly enjoying all that your new life in Australia has to offer so far. However, as someone who successfully  relocated within the UK I know that it's also possible to find a lifestyle here that's very different from the one left behind. As with most first world countries, where you live can and does make a huge difference. Tx 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

It's good you feel you could reveal in part your real feelings with regards to Australia. I recall at one stage you felt unduly criticized for voicing similar comments on this forum. 

I'd say hold your ground. You have lived here way long enough to know what is what, and nothing wrong with stating it is not for you. 

I'm not a big fan, but quite like the sun.  I deplore the greed and arrogance and lack of ethics and tolerance of illegal activity that abounds in my neighbourhood with little willingness on any part to tackle what is a very serious matter.   I also hardly ever 'do' shopping centres, hate the auto dependency of Perth, yes the falseness of the people can be grueling. Empty streets (tick) never get used to that , or poor street lighting, drugs a way of life either through consumption or the making of wealth of it. 

One good friend is worth a dozen fair weathered' friends' so count your blessings there. 

Yes, well that's your opinion of where you live   .....................  Perth.  Can't remember the last time I was in a shopping mall and I can walk to just about anywhere I need to where I live.  What is it with the 'falseness of people'.  You can find false, pretentious people anywhere  ....  not just in Perth.  I agree about the poor street lighting.  It was pretty poor in Sydney too also here.  However, during the day I see plenty of people around our street.  There could be drugs around but I'm unaware of what's going on as far as that's concerned apart from the odd, obviously mental health affected person wandering around  .....  the fault of drug use maybe?  Not too many of them thank goodness.  Maybe because Devonport is a fairly working class town you would stand out like a sore thumb if your tried to be fake or false.  They call a spade a spade around here.

Just got back from a visit to a little town called Wilmot.  I met a couple from Victoria last year who bought a few acres just outside Wilmot.  They've just finished renovating the old farmhouse and they have finished fencing the paddocks.  Last time I was in Wilmot during winter it snowed.  It was 23C today.  Not everywhere in Australia has stinking hot weather.

Thing is I'm happy here.  Got good friends, good neighbours and that means a helluva lot to me.

Just thought I'd post a positive outlook on my life here (after the negative posts above) but I still don't consider myself Australian. 😎  After all when all is said and done, that's the subject of this thread isn't it? 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yes, well that's your opinion of where you live   .....................  Perth.  Can't remember the last time I was in a shopping mall and I can walk to just about anywhere I need to where I live.  What is it with the 'falseness of people'.  You can find false, pretentious people anywhere  ....  not just in Perth.  I agree about the poor street lighting.  It was pretty poor in Sydney too also here.  However, during the day I see plenty of people around our street.  There could be drugs around but I'm unaware of what's going on as far as that's concerned apart from the odd, obviously mental health affected person wandering around  .....  the fault of drug use maybe?  Not too many of them thank goodness.  Maybe because Devonport is a fairly working class town you would stand out like a sore thumb if your tried to be fake or false.  They call a spade a spade around here.

Just got back from a visit to a little town called Wilmot.  I met a couple from Victoria last year who bought a few acres just outside Wilmot.  They've just finished renovating the old farmhouse and they have finished fencing the paddocks.  Last time I was in Wilmot during winter it snowed.  It was 23C today.  Not everywhere in Australia has stinking hot weather.

Thing is I'm happy here.  Got good friends, good neighbours and that means a helluva lot to me.

Just thought I'd post a positive outlook on my life here (after the negative posts above) but I still don't consider myself Australian. 😎  After all when all is said and done, that's the subject of this thread isn't it? 

Ive just had a lovely day, spent with  6 friends. We are all Australians with varying backgrounds, My husband and I are the newest, 19 years here, and proud citizens for 2 years, plus 4 Australians whose families emigrated here in the 1860’s, one Dutch who has lived here for 30 years and an American. Our backgrounds make a fascinating mix, which is what I actually feel sums up Australia. We have laughed, snacked, put the world to rights, even disagreed, but for all of us Australia is home. 

I will never feel 100% Australian as it isn’t my heritage, but I am at home here. I haven’t lived in UK for 29 years, and pre covid we went back for about 3 months every year since we retired, as our son and only grandchildren are there, but it doesn’t draw me back to want to live there. I can’t explain it, it’s probably not rational, but it’s how I feel. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Sometimes your posts make me want to move to Tasmania Toots - your descriptions often remind me of the better parts of Scotland!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tea4too said:

Not sure where you lived before emigrating, but please don't assume that your negative experiences are standard for every one who lives in the UK. Of course there are areas (often ones that have suffered from decades of lack of investment, with low income households and significant numbers managing chronic ill health ) where the level of crime you describe is an issue. But is would be wrong to imply that house break ins and car thefts are accepted as a natural consequence no matter where you live. It's not my experience , nor that of my extended family who live right across the UK. I would add though that I'm genuinely pleased that you have landed on your feet and are clearly enjoying all that your new life in Australia has to offer so far. However, as someone who successfully  relocated within the UK I know that it's also possible to find a lifestyle here that's very different from the one left behind. As with most first world countries, where you live can and does make a huge difference. Tx 

Sorry I meant where I lived although being in the UK for 38yrs and with friends and family all over the UK it does have a crime issue but obviously not everywhere is the same.

Police funding has become an issue and created these issues, they closed the police stations where I lived so it took 10 - 15 mins for police to get to the area if crime was committed.

It was abit of an affluent area where I lived but the trouble is being close to Manchester and easily accesible, it was the gangs from there coming in to commit the crimes.

Not calling the UK its a good place to live but my experience since being here it just seems to be lower crime in general around this area compared to my area in the UK.

Edited by Lavers

7 hours ago, ramot said:

Ive just had a lovely day, spent with  6 friends. We are all Australians with varying backgrounds, My husband and I are the newest, 19 years here, and proud citizens for 2 years, plus 4 Australians whose families emigrated here in the 1860’s, one Dutch who has lived here for 30 years and an American. Our backgrounds make a fascinating mix, which is what I actually feel sums up Australia. We have laughed, snacked, put the world to rights, even disagreed, but for all of us Australia is home. 

I will never feel 100% Australian as it isn’t my heritage, but I am at home here. I haven’t lived in UK for 29 years, and pre covid we went back for about 3 months every year since we retired, as our son and only grandchildren are there, but it doesn’t draw me back to want to live there. I can’t explain it, it’s probably not rational, but it’s how I feel. 

Lovely post. Even though it’s not my heritage either, I feel at home here. In fact I felt a weird sense of having come home from the day I arrived in Sydney and that has never changed. When we spent our year in the UK it felt like a foreign country to me

28 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Sorry I meant where I lived although being in the UK for 38yrs and with friends and family all over the UK it does have a crime issue but obviously not everywhere is the same.

Police funding has become an issue and created these issues, they closed the police stations where I lived so it took 10 - 15 mins for police to get to the area if crime was committed.

It was abit of an affluent area where I lived but the trouble is being close to Manchester and easily accesible, it was the gangs from there coming in to commit the crimes.

Not calling the UK its a good place to live but my experience since being here it just seems to be lower crime in general around this area compared to my area in the UK.

Police don't sit around at the police station waiting for someone to report a crime. Police are out patrolling on the road. They will get directed by a central operator as needed.

Shouldn't make too much difference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toots said:

The thread is Do You Feel Australian. My answer would be a resounding no in the context of what is going on all around me in Inner Perth. It would be a total misconception to think it only Australians partaking. I suppose one could use this as an example of the inclusiveness of people regardless of race or birthplace. So in that context applause may well be deserved. What it says for the direction the nation is heading is something else or indeed people's ethics in partaking in a drug that impact on their children and most definitely others. (That includes Poms of course) But even more alarming is how it was allowed to arrive at this stage, then once arrived apparently impossible to date to move.

Somewhat hard to get positives from such an appalling situation but obviously one can seek out small instances of positivity and no one is questioning your motives of being happy over there. Yet no one seems to address the issue or fails to comprehend the seriousness on society or failure to arrest the moral bankruptcy being conducted all too often by those with choices due to education, wealth, status, and so on. 

Now for positive observations of my own. We do not of recent have drug induced people wandering around my area. All or most illegal activity is concealed under cover within premises. 

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Police don't sit around at the police station waiting for someone to report a crime. Police are out patrolling on the road. They will get directed by a central operator as needed.

It made a massive difference, police presence where I lived was very little to begin with.

What they have done now though is patrol around the motorway links at Manchester trying to spot the gangs there.

Still not making a massive difference though my mates van got stolen the otherday from outside his house at 18:30.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

You don’t know much about uk policing , many town police stations closed with no offices on the beat. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ramot said:

I think we are pretty safe, the house 2 doors away has been bought by a couple who are both federal 👮‍♀️!!!

We rented a unit with a federal officer above us , there was a bikie from one of big gangs also on same floor, he ended up being shot in street outside the units between Christmas and new year (2011/12 ) by a rival gang. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

I think we are pretty safe, the house 2 doors away has been bought by a couple who are both federal 👮‍♀️!!!

Apparently the Feds have Harley Davison’s, and the neighbour next door renovates Vespa scooters or something similar, so we will have Mods and Rockers in the street, hope they can coexist happily??? So remember when they had fights in the late 1960’s - 70’s in England, not sure if that happened in Australia. Watch this space 😱🏍🛵

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ramot said:

Apparently the Feds have Harley Davison’s, and the neighbour next door renovates Vespa scooters or something similar, so we will have Mods and Rockers in the street, hope they can coexist happily??? So remember when they had fights in the late 1960’s - 70’s in England, not sure if that happened in Australia. Watch this space 😱🏍🛵

Remember that era very well.  Always liked the ska and soul music favoured by the mods.  Wasn't much into the whole fashion thing though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lavers said:

.....(edit) Not calling the UK its a good place to live but my experience since being here it just seems to be lower crime in general around this area compared to my area in the UK.

Thanks for clarifying, I guess this was my point really. I don't tend to visit this part of the forum much but the thread title caught my eye and I've enjoyed reading some of the replies. I get the impression that much depends on that potentially elusive feeling of belonging and whether we are able to completely uproot and replant elsewhere, or alternatively leave behind a significant piece of what makes us individuals when we move. The degree and the reasons my differ, but it clearly isn't simply about how long or short a time people live in any particular place. T x

Edited by tea4too
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, tea4too said:

I get the impression that much depends on that potentially elusive feeling of belonging and whether we are able to completely uproot and replant elsewhere, or alternatively leave behind a significant piece of what makes us individuals when we move. 

That's an interesting statement.  Maybe it explains why I've settled so easily in Australia.   As a child, I was an invalid with severe asthma (which in those days, wasn't easily controllable).  I missed more than half my schooling every year, all through school, and I couldn't participate in any sport or any boisterous activities.  As a result, I had few friends and didn't get out much.  Most of my childhood was spent reading books.   I don't think my home town, or my home country,  were "'significant piece of what makes me an individual", I just never got to know them well enough.   In fact I felt more at home in London, which I'd read so much about.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

That's an interesting statement.  Maybe it explains why I've settled so easily in Australia.   As a child, I was an invalid with severe asthma (which in those days, wasn't easily controllable).  I missed more than half my schooling every year, all through school, and I couldn't participate in any sport or any boisterous activities.  As a result, I had few friends and didn't get out much.  Most of my childhood was spent reading books.   I don't think my home town, or my home country,  were "'significant piece of what makes me an individual", I just never got to know them well enough.   In fact I felt more at home in London, which I'd read so much about.  

I still care a lot for Scotland especially Galloway and I only need to hear a mass pipe band and I have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.  The pipes and drums always do that to me.  I started highland dancing when I was 4 years old to competition level so it's a bit of nostalgia I suppose.  Mind you a Welsh male choir can make me the feel the same.  None of that makes me want to go back and live in the UK though. 🙂

• Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 15:40, Marisawright said:

It just goes to prove what we often say about Australia.  Would-be migrants talk about moving to Australia and "the Australian dream" as if the whole country is the same all over.  It isn't.  I loved living in Sydney for over 30 years (until we got priced out).   I love living in Melbourne but it's a different lifestyle.   I could imagine living in Adelaide because I've visited often and liked it, but it would be a different lifestyle again - quieter, among other things. I couldn't live in Perth, or Darwin.  It's no different from any other country - different regions have different flavours.

Although outside of geography Australia remains one of the most uniform nations found anywhere. There is little of note that will differ an Aussie regardless of place. Accent doesn't really vary. Slang is the same. That's why when meet abroad we ask where the person is from. Unlike UK and European countries it is not really possible to tell by accent .

On 14/02/2022 at 11:27, Toots said:

Remember that era very well.  Always liked the ska and soul music favoured by the mods.  Wasn't much into the whole fashion thing though.

Remains great music to this day. I go to ska gigs here in Perth. Also went to a few gigs by Mod Squad before they disbanded last year. Big ageing Mod following and decked out scooter . Don't tell me you were a Rocker.   

Edited by Blue Flu