17 hours ago, NCTSJ said:

OH!🤩🎉 Congratulations! you must be so relieved/thrilled/excited! When are you planning on joining your family?  We applied 6 November, so hopefully its super soon for us too! x

Thanks...yes very excited and definitely relieved! Despite being a straightforward case there’s always that doubt that you’ve missed something or not uploaded enough evidence. 

We’re aiming to move to Brisbane next month now (assuming the house sale goes through as planned 🤞🏻) - hubby is coming back shortly and then we’ll all go back over together .

Hopefully you’ll hear shortly too - good luck!

• Congratulations 1

15 hours ago, KitCat said:

Congratulations @W2O! You must be thrilled to get a straight grant

We also applied at the end of October, which puts us 4th on those waiting according to CEP's handy spreadsheet. Hoping to hear something soon as well!

Thanks, and yes, very excited to go straight to grant 😃 I think you only applied a day or so after me? If so, maybe in the next couple of days🤞🏻 Good luck!

29 minutes ago, Belfastchild said:

Congrats!  Yours was a lot smoother than mine. I’m waiting on my third police check. What date did they give you to be in Australia? 

Thanks! That’s crazy that they want a 3rd police check...hopefully that’s all they’ll need and it won’t be long to wait now 🤞🏻 I need to make my first entry by 6th November (possibly when I had my U.K. police check by?). We’re going over next month so that’s all good anyway 😃 Good luck with yours!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ben34uk said:

As people can see I’m blue on the chart awaiting an appeal but while I was in Australia 3 weeks ago I contacted the local mp regarding the big mistakes that have been made to my application regarding the embassy and now I have to appeal so awaiting to hear back from them as now it’s gone to the migration minister. So hopefully get some news soon 

Good news Ben, I wish you luck.

We got ours yesterday!!!! No RFi and I hadn't yet uploaded my Aussie police check (I am the sponsor 🤔). We have been married 15 years and have 2 children, pretty straight forward but I did upload every form on the documents checklist. 

Thanks for doing the spreadsheet/timeline as ours really did come as expected on the timeline. We have to enter before 6th November which we didn't realise when doing the medicals and police check. But frustrating but will make it work!!!

Good luck everyone, fingers crossed for you all. But bamboozled now about what to do next!!!!

• Congratulations 5

Good luck @Ben34uk- wishing you all the best. No I was never asked for any proof of funds and I don' t think it is a requirement (unlike in the UK!)

And congratulations @Natgoesrunning!

We've also had a RFI today- bit different to the others on this list as nothing relating to the applicant, but they've asked for my (sponsor's) birth certificate- I uploaded an Australian driver's license, citizenship certificate and passport but I guess it wasn't enough! Am arranging to have it translated now.

19 minutes ago, Ben34uk said:

massive congrats.  

Just a quick one to all who have been approved. 

Did anyone have to prove savings or were they asked about any savings etc. 

No, we didn’t have to show any proof of savings etc. 

Good luck with the appeal @Ben34uk...hope you get some good news soon 🤞🏻

1 minute ago, Ben34uk said:

Don’t think people are stressed as much as me lol. 4weeks after applying refused and then 12 to 18months for appeal then re look at application hopefully lol

Ours did take a year but yes very true yours is particularly painfull mate, hope the appeal goes your way.

Excited to hear of all the approvals! Excellent news...now I'm hoping my husband hears something soon as we applied late October too, but he hasn't even been asked to do the medical yet. 

Does anyone know if applications are processed in Australia or in the country they are lodged from? Just trying to workout if we would be on the same timeline applying from Canada or totally different one......

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Jo P said:

Excited to hear of all the approvals! Excellent news...now I'm hoping my husband hears something soon as we applied late October too, but he hasn't even been asked to do the medical yet. 

Does anyone know if applications are processed in Australia or in the country they are lodged from? Just trying to workout if we would be on the same timeline applying from Canada or totally different one......

Thanks! 

I think they’re processed in the country you applied from. On my grant letter it states the processing office as Australian High Commission, London. 

Hopefully Canada is just as efficient at processing as London...good luck!

Hi All, I got an RFI yesterday - just a clarification on if I applied for a 300 or 309. Quite frustrating as it was a simple error on my part but thought I'd let you know as it seems I've jumped a few places in the queue.  My submitted date (with everything front-loaded) was 18th Nov 18.  I've had to reapply for a 309 (which was surprising quick) and email back the case-officer to say my changes were made.

UF x

1 hour ago, Urban_Fox said:

Hi All, I got an RFI yesterday - just a clarification on if I applied for a 300 or 309. Quite frustrating as it was a simple error on my part but thought I'd let you know as it seems I've jumped a few places in the queue.  My submitted date (with everything front-loaded) was 18th Nov 18.  I've had to reapply for a 309 (which was surprising quick) and email back the case-officer to say my changes were made.

UF x

Fingers crossed they still look at your application now and not put it to the back of the queue as if you had only just submitted it. That wouldn’t be fair for you. I really hope you hear some positive news soon  

Its great to hear they are looking at  applications from November! Each step closer to March is fantastic lol. 

13 hours ago, W2O said:

I think they’re processed in the country you applied from. On my grant letter it states the processing office as Australian High Commission, London. 

Hopefully Canada is just as efficient at processing as London...good luck!

Ahhh makes sense...although I'm a little disappointed as I was getting excited about possibly hearing soon 😂

Hopefully soon.....all limbs crossed. 

34 minutes ago, Jo P said:

For those that have been approved how are you transferring money internationally? And are you shipping all your stuff or selling and rebuying? 

I'm not one of the "approved", but having made an international move not long ago, here are my tips.

Transferring money - Don't use your bank.  With few exceptions, their fees are too high.   If you join through PomsinOz, Moneycorp don't charge fees for international transactions.  I liked them because I liked the personal service - there are other companies and you can shop around to get the best exchange rate on the day if you wish.

Shipping or selling - Shipping always sounds horrendously expensive so people sell up, thinking it'll be cheaper to buy at the other end.    If your current stuff is old and tired, that may be the best option, but do research it thoroughly before you decide.

When we moved back to the UK, I was shocked at how much stuff I had to buy.  Not only was it expensive, but I had to buy everything in such a short time - and at a time when I had an awful lot of other stuff to deal with, having just arrived in a new country.  Particularly galling was the fact that with furniture, most shops didn't keep much in stock these days - it seemed like every sofa or dining table or bed that I liked, had a 6-week delivery time. So I ended up stuck with big furniture items that I didn't really like, because I  had to settle for what was available.

I suggest doing an online shop at PetersofKensington.com.au, the goodguys.com.au and domayne.com.au.  Pretend that you've arrived and you're buying all the things you need. See how much there is and how much it comes to!    Don't forget it's not just furniture, it's white goods, electrical, towels, sheets, pots and pans, crockery, cutlery.   Good pots and pans are particularly expensive in Australia.

Chances are  you'll have some treasured possessions that won't fit in the luggage.  In view of that, you might as well ship a few more things, even if you decide not to take furniture.  Look at the Movecube from Seven Seas.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

@Jo P- not sure if this is applicable to you from Canada, but I've found the best exchange rate from GBP to AUD is using a Revolut card and occasionally Transferwise. 

On another note, for all of you with RFIs, did you only upload the relevant evidence in the application and click on the grey box at the bottom? Wanted to make sure I didn't need to email the department or anything else. Thanks!

4 hours ago, KitCat said:

@Jo P- not sure if this is applicable to you from Canada, but I've found the best exchange rate from GBP to AUD is using a Revolut card and occasionally Transferwise. 

On another note, for all of you with RFIs, did you only upload the relevant evidence in the application and click on the grey box at the bottom? Wanted to make sure I didn't need to email the department or anything else. Thanks!

I haven’t uploaded mine yet as I don’t know where to upload it. It still shows the same drop downs. So do I upload my police check again to the character part and the stuff for nature of the household in evidence of life living together? 

@Marisawright @Jo P On this note about shipping (we're intending to use a Movecube), we're dithering about whether so send stuff out ahead of us and then making do with borrowing stuff from friends and family to tide us over. Or shipping our gear when we leave and then renting a full household 'kit of goods' (bedding, crockery, furniture etc etc) and wondered if anyone had any experience with doing this and if they would recommend it? It would be for the short term until our stuff arrived in Sydney. So 3 months, I guess? Most apartments I've looked at online are furnished with white goods anyway.

6 minutes ago, mia.oh.my said:

@Marisawright @Jo P On this note about shipping (we're intending to use a Movecube), we're dithering about whether so send stuff out ahead of us and then making do with borrowing stuff from friends and family to tide us over. Or shipping our gear when we leave and then renting a full household 'kit of goods' (bedding, crockery, furniture etc etc) and wondered if anyone had any experience with doing this and if they would recommend it? It would be for the short term until our stuff arrived in Sydney. So 3 months, I guess? Most apartments I've looked at online are furnished with white goods anyway.

We used a large move cube with seven seas.  It was a really good price and the large cub fitted our sofa and there was plenty of room for our other items.  We left all our white goods and crockery at home with the tenants who have a 2 year lease on our property. Seven seas have been fantastic they sent everything needed to pack our stuff and you can track your cube.  

You need to give your visa details but as my husband is Australian it all had to be shipped in his name.