Guest guest36187

Hi everyone

This is my first post but I have been sharing your experiences for some time now as you go forward on this awesome journey. I agree with tabitha 10, this is such a friendly and supportive site for us parents who are making life changing moves to be with our children. I too, feel as though I know you all and thank you for your encouragement and the invaluable information and experiences that you're willing to share with so many others.

I have three children and seven grandchildren in Perth and I miss them so much. I lodged my 173 in March and know that I have to wait awhile yet. Bon voyage to those of you who are at the end of their journey and off to Oz, and to those just beginning, you will find a community here that will see you through the highs & lows and help guide you through this process......good luck everyone x

Hi everyone

This is my first post but I have been sharing your experiences for some time now as you go forward on this awesome journey. I agree with tabitha 10, this is such a friendly and supportive site for us parents who are making life changing moves to be with our children. I too, feel as though I know you all and thank you for your encouragement and the invaluable information and experiences that you're willing to share with so many others.

I have three children and seven grandchildren in Perth and I miss them so much. I lodged my 173 in March and know that I have to wait awhile yet. Bon voyage to those of you who are at the end of their journey and off to Oz, and to those just beginning, you will find a community here that will see you through the highs & lows and help guide you through this process......good luck everyone x

Hi Silver Lady and welcome to our 'little family'. This site has been such a fantastic support for us and I really don't know how we would have managed without it. You might have only lodged your 173 in March but believe me the time will just whizz by! You are right about the highs and lows there are plenty of those along the way!! All the very best to you and hope your journey is a smooth one. Angie x

Hi everyone

Hello and welcome, i am sure you will find this site a real help and no end of support along the way to getting your visa. I have followed it for years sharing the highs and lows with other posters until i was able to lodge my own application and was able to join in , i am going alone so felt a bit over-awed at times with having no partner to share the worries with, i think you have to do this process to fully understand the stress it can cause as .folk around you don't seem to understand. The time since lodging seems to have flown but you wouldn't have thought so to hear me moan. I have met a lovely lady on here also doing this alone and we have formed a great friendship over the months, we intend visiting each other across the country when we move over there so how great is that, a place of endless information and you get to meet some real nice folk too.I am hoping for a CO any day now. but i am sure my posts are far from over..... i wish you all the luck in the world and a speedy time until your visa is granted so you can join your family. Ann:ssign18:

Thanks to Angie & Ann for your warm welcome. I'm in the same boat as you Ann...going it alone, a little daunting but my family keep me going with phone calls, texts etc and the amazing Skype.

It's good to know that you've been able to share your worries with someone who really understands the stress this process can cause Ann and have forged a friendship that will continue once you're both in Oz.

Hope you get your CO soon....... I appreciate all your good wishes for a smooth journey to Oz and a speedy visa grant...........we shall see!!! Val (2) :laugh:

Hi everyone

Been a while since I posted (still battling with hospitals :swoon:

So good to read all the great posts congrats to all who are now on their way :biggrin: so happy for you all and to those of you with OH still uncertain if it's the right thing to do.......I know exactly where your coming from :daydreaming:

Phoebe

Hi everyone

Been a while since I posted (still battling with hospitals :swoon:

So good to read all the great posts congrats to all who are now on their way :biggrin: so happy for you all and to those of you with OH still uncertain if it's the right thing to do.......I know exactly where your coming from :daydreaming:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe. Lovely to hear from you again but so sorry to learn that you are still suffering health problems. I do hope things improve for you soon. We have just paid over the 2nd VAC and just waiting for confirmation that we have our visas. The sale of our house completes next Friday and the shippers are in the day before. Both hubby and I are working our notice at work. I should feel excited, and I do most of the time, but my feelings are mixed with waves of guilt over leaving family behind - Arghhh! .....life's never easy!!

Wishing you all the very best! Angie x

Edited by brummiebabies

Thanks Angie. I think I finally have an answer to what's been going on this past 15 months but one of my consultants just phftt phftt it :mad: Back to see myother consultant on Tuesday and I've made a private appointment for a second opinion in couple of weeks spending the precious pennies but so sick of it all :dull: Can't even look at flights to go for a visit and my new grandson is 17 months old now :cry:

Great to hear your news and it must be hard with guilt etc but like my daughter said to me before they left "you did the very best you could for your family and I have to do what I feel is the very best for my family we only get one chance" and I couldn't disagree.

So this is your time :jiggy: Live your dream :cool:

Phoebe

Edited by PhoebeW

hi Phoebe, great to see you on here again but sorry to learn that your health problems are still not sorted. Cant believe your youngest granchild is 17 months now, how time flies! We have another due in November and we're hoping the 143 will be granted in time for our visit to welcome the baby.

Do please keep in touch and let us know how you are.

love Val x

Hi Phoebe

It is good to hear from you and add my wishes for your good health.

Angie

How I recognise your mixed feelings about leaving. I have an offer on my flat and the estate agent wanted to make an appointment for the surveyor to come around and I can feel myself stalling, thinking its all going to fast. It isnt really as it is nearly 14mths since my application went in and I have been thinking about moving over for a lot longer but I keep going. I just look at the photo of my grandchildren on the beach and remember why I am going.

Best wishes

Moira

Hi all,

couple of things i need to ask please, what are the chances of ,once getting the 173 visa, of not getting the 143 if any ???

also do you have to validate both visas on two different occasions??

thanks for that

:huh:

Tab x

We went the 173 to 143 route. You don't need to redo the medical although you may need to provide another police check if you have spent time in another country. All you need to do really is pay the AOS and the remainder of the second VAC, so as long as nothing goes wrong with that and there are no great changes with regard to your sponsor you should be OK. I personally haven't heard of anyone with the 173 being refused the 143. You do need to validate each time, although we were already in Australia when we applied for the 143.

Hi All, I might have asked this question earlier in the year, can't remember. My head is all over the place these days waiting for my CO, especially as I had a hiccup in April because I was told I had a CO and it was all a mistake:arghh:

Anyway what I want to know is there any way I can get the extra baggage allowance with a 173 temporary visa. I will be travelling to Brisbane from Ireland, hopefully October, all depends on when I get the CO. I have made inquiries on the phone but not getting any joy. Signapore airlines told me they may give me 5 extra kgs but I would have to book first and then they would look into it. I know Emirates allow 30kgs but they are alot more expensive.

Fran.

Hi Fran

We came over on a 173 with Singapore and they allowed us an extra 10 kilos but we had to make a stand to get that. They only automatically grant double allowance for a permenant residency visa. Just nag them and threaten to go elsewhere, it will probably do the trick.

regards

Hi all,

couple of things i need to ask please, what are the chances of ,once getting the 173 visa, of not getting the 143 if any ???

also do you have to validate both visas on two different occasions??

thanks for that

:huh:

Tab x

G'day Tab

I think you can take it as automatic – so long as your circumstances (eg health) don't change significantly.

Not sure about 2nd validation, since you can apply for the 143 while already living in Oz on the 173. Anyone else know?

Good luck, Mike

Crickey Moira! We forgot all about that one! I'll do some research and let you know! Angie x

Me again Moira. Just had a look on the internet and there are a number of companies offering cover for one-way travel. I managed to get a quote on a site called go-walkabout and for a one way trip up to 5 days based on aged 17 - 64 they are quoting £60.90 for a couple travelling together and £35.05 for an individual. I'll have a look on other sites when I get a chance. Hope this helps. Angie x

Yippee! Just checked our emails and YES!!! we have our Visa grant letter!!!:biggrin: Such a relief! Thank you everyone for your help and support along the way. Good luck to those still waiting! Angie x

We're both really pleased for you, enjoy Brisbane. Steph & Sue

Edited by stephsuej

Yippee! Just checked our emails and YES!!! we have our Visa grant letter!!!:biggrin: Such a relief! Thank you everyone for your help and support along the way. Good luck to those still waiting! Angie x

Yay,!! So pleased for you and wishing you all you hope for in your future journey, Good luck and keep us updated. :jiggy:Ann xx

Me again Moira. Just had a look on the internet and there are a number of companies offering cover for one-way travel. I managed to get a quote on a site called go-walkabout and for a one way trip up to 5 days based on aged 17 - 64 they are quoting £60.90 for a couple travelling together and £35.05 for an individual. I'll have a look on other sites when I get a chance. Hope this helps. Angie x

We used The Post Office who do a one way travel insurance and you can insure up to 17 days after arrival which gives you time to sort our Medicare etc. You can get the number online, although you can't book it online, you need to ring them.