Guest guest36187

Hi there. Welcome to PIO. You will certainly get loads of advice and support here from those who currently are or have already gone through the CPV process. It's not a cheap option at all and I can understand your anxiety over finances. If you get time, take a look back over previous posts on this thread. One piece of advice we went with was to 'drip feed' money to Oz once we had applied for our 143 - it helped even out the fluctuating exchange rate. Best of luck. Angie

How easy is it to get an OZ bank account whilst still in the UK and how (cheapest way) of transferring money to it? is there a certain amount you can transfer at a time, without cost, or is it per say £1000.00 ?? hope someone can help...

thanks

Tab xx

Hi Guys,

I would like to wish you every happiness in Australia and maybe some time we might meet in Brisbane for a drink.

All the best

Nutmeg xx

Hi Nutmeg. So happy for you! It be lovely for all of us in the Brisbane area to meet up for a drink (or two)! Val and Matt have mentioned it and I know Val (Vava) is moving to the same area as us - I'm sure she won't take much persuading to join us! :) Angie x

How easy is it to get an OZ bank account whilst still in the UK and how (cheapest way) of transferring money to it? is there a certain amount you can transfer at a time, without cost, or is it per say £1000.00 ?? hope someone can help...

thanks

Tab xx

Hi Tab. It was very easy for us. We opened a current and iSaver account with NAB on line. Just submitted a form and they opened the accounts within a few days. I think you can transfer any amount but you can't withdraw money until you visit the branch in Australia to activate the account. You are allocated a dedicated banker and make an appointment to see them when you arrive in Oz. Couldn't be simpler really. Hope this helps. Angie

Hi all, well I'm very pleased to say that we have exchanged contracts on the sale of our house today - to say it "went down to the wire" is an understatement, as we had decided (through sheer frustration with the whole process - plus the shenanigans of the buyers) that we would withdraw today if it didn't happen by close of business, and rent it out for a year or so.

So shippers booked for the 19th and flights 23rd September. :biggrin:

Yippee!! What a stressful few weeks you have had Val!! At least it is coming to an end now and you've booked your flights - how fantastic. You will be all settled by the time we come out. Are you still on for that drink? Looks as though there could be a few others joining us! It will be good to share the ups and downs we have all gone through. Angie x

Hi Nutmeg. So happy for you! It be lovely for all of us in the Brisbane area to meet up for a drink (or two)! Val and Matt have mentioned it and I know Val (Vava) is moving to the same area as us - I'm sure she won't take much persuading to join us! :) Angie x

Oh Angie you know me so well. We will be in the Wynnum/Manly area from end November to end December so yes, drinks and a meet up would be lovely.

I sent the final VAC payment via Dhl on Monday using a personal ANZ cheque. I know they don't really approve but tough! We could have our 143 by the end of the month.

Lets all keep in touch, Val x

Edited by vava

Hi Tab. It was very easy for us. We opened a current and iSaver account with NAB on line. Just submitted a form and they opened the accounts within a few days. I think you can transfer any amount but you can't withdraw money until you visit the branch in Australia to activate the account. You are allocated a dedicated banker and make an appointment to see them when you arrive in Oz. Couldn't be simpler really. Hope this helps. Angie

oooh thanks Brummiebabies thats great i think ill get on to it asap..... wont be for a couple of years yet but will possibly be going to the same area as you,and few other, lol.

thanks for the bank info

Tab x

Hallo Gina

I am going to Melbourne. I applied for my 143 in July 2011 so I hope to get a Case Officer this month. My flat sold in 6days, just the right person walked through the door. I have booked a flight for 30 November - if I havent got my visa by then I will have to change my flight. I went over to Melbourne for 2mths last christmas just to make sure it is where I wanted to be and if anything I felt more sure of my decision. It seems the shippers cant ship my things until I have the visa so they may have to go into storage for a while.

The other thing about Australia is money can earn good interest, 5.75 I believe on some accounts so thats good to know.

I will let you know as soon as I get a CO.

Fingers crossed Moira

Hi Moira, whereabouts in Melbourne are you heading to? We are down in Torquay on the Great Ocean Road - about 1.25 hours drive from Melbourne CBD. Love it!!! Gill

Well, we have arrived. The eagle has landed!

Almost exactly 21 months after first dreaming the dream we touched down at Sydney airport with 13 (yes, thirteen!) suitcases courtesy of Singapore Airlines.

Collected our pre-bought car today and move into our apartment in Fairlight, NSW on Tuesday with completion on Monday. Now the wait for our container to arrive at the end of October. Staying with our daughter across the bay in Manly until then.

But even hiring furniture at reasonable cost is easy here, with next day delivery!

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity, even though we had so much notice of the work to be done. Don't underestimate it.... make your decisions on what you're taking and start getting rid of unwanted furniture especially (auctions, private sales, ebay, etc) right NOW!!

Time really accelerates towards the end, so don't be disheartened if you're at the start of the road.

Good luck all. We'll keep you posted on "things to do (and not do!)" once you get here.

John & Eirian

We are planning to move to Australia mid 2013 and are trying to convince my wifes parents to consider to also move out in a few years time. The contributory visa is probably the best way to go but is the amount of $45,000 ish for this visa per person or the cost for both of them?

Also if they came out to Australia on a holiday visa and then applied for an Aged Parent Visa (subclass 804) it looks like they could remain in Australia on a bridging visa until such time it was processed. Has anyone had experience of this?

Almost exactly 21 months after first dreaming the dream we touched down at Sydney airport with 13 (yes, thirteen!) suitcases courtesy of Singapore Airlines.

Collected our pre-bought car today and move into our apartment in Fairlight, NSW on Tuesday with completion on Monday. Now the wait for our container to arrive at the end of October. Staying with our daughter across the bay in Manly until then.

But even hiring furniture at reasonable cost is easy here, with next day delivery!

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity, even though we had so much notice of the work to be done. Don't underestimate it.... make your decisions on what you're taking and start getting rid of unwanted furniture especially (auctions, private sales, ebay, etc) right NOW!!

Time really accelerates towards the end, so don't be disheartened if you're at the start of the road.

Good luck all. We'll keep you posted on "things to do (and not do!)" once you get here.

John & Eirian

Hey John and Eirean

So good that you are actually here! Looking forward to getting together very soon. All our phone numbers are the same

Marian and Ian

Yippee!! What a stressful few weeks you have had Val!! At least it is coming to an end now and you've booked your flights - how fantastic. You will be all settled by the time we come out. Are you still on for that drink? Looks as though there could be a few others joining us! It will be good to share the ups and downs we have all gone through. Angie x

Hi Angie, I can't put into words how we felt those last few days, "were we, weren't we", anyway its done now, so ONWARD AND QUITE LITERALLY UPWARDS!!!! Needless to say we are now running around like headless chickens, but with purpose now! All the planning in the world and its come down to getting it all done in a few days! But we don't care and we're smiling again - great big fat grins! And as the grandchildren said earlier today "11 more sleeps" YAY!

Now to the much more serious business of the "Moreton Bay Meet-up"! You can definitely count us in of course - absolutely brilliant - and the more the merrier! So looking forward to it! :wink: (I couldn't find a smiley holding a wine glass)

CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

Val x

John & Eirian

Hi John and Eirian, wonderful to hear you've arrived!

Totally agree with "its never too soon to start de-cluttering"

Keep in touch.

Val x

Hi Moira, whereabouts in Melbourne are you heading to? We are down in Torquay on the Great Ocean Road - about 1.25 hours drive from Melbourne CBD. Love it!!! Gill

Hi Gill

We have had our visa granted this morning and are going over to Melbourne in early Jan. Planning to live with our daughter for a time who has built a home down the Mornington Penninsula.

We however like the other side of the bay around Drysdale and note you are living in Torquay. Wondered what you think of the area having been there a year, all the good and Bad points would be welcome.

Carol

... We are down in Torquay on the Great Ocean Road - about 1.25 hours drive from Melbourne CBD. Love it!!! Gill

You are sooo lucky. When my girls and their families first moved downunder they lived in Melton of all places and we used to visit a beach in Torquay... think it's called Cosy Corner?... which is a really great spot! Since then, thanks to the Oz Govt grants, they've both built new houses across the bay.

I can't wait for the big date to arrive. I'm 58 and have done a big move on my todd once before, moving from Jo'Burg to Blighty just over ten years ago, and that was one of the best things I've ever done... but sure it will be outdone by the move downunder. Will probably have to change career downunder, but hey ho it'll be exciting!

Meantime, I'm living near Leeds, enjoying the remnants of our lovely summer...

Andy

Edited by Andy54Good

Guest guest72525

Hi

In theory applying for an aged contributory parent visa onshore (with bridging visa) is a good idea. Our bad experience was that my parents arrived on a tourist visa. They had intended to apply for this visa onshore but discovered that my dad (but not my mom!) had a "no further stay" clause on his tourist visa so they had to go offshore and apply for a 143. You can't predict if you will get a "no further stay" clause in your tourist (or student) visa.

However DIAC will soon be granting more longer tourist visas (12 months) for parents of permanent residents, which will make it easier to visit family while waiting for the 143 to come through.

My parents are now waiting in the 143 queue but would have preferred the onshore aged CPV option

Michelle

We are planning to move to Australia mid 2013 and are trying to convince my wifes parents to consider to also move out in a few years time. The contributory visa is probably the best way to go but is the amount of $45,000 ish for this visa per person or the cost for both of them?

Also if they came out to Australia on a holiday visa and then applied for an Aged Parent Visa (subclass 804) it looks like they could remain in Australia on a bridging visa until such time it was processed. Has anyone had experience of this?

John & Eirian

You are so right about making decisions about what to take. I keep going through things and I am gradually taking less and less. But it is the small things, my pencils, reels of sellotape (silly things - buy they eventually go) but I do feel that with the sale of the flat and getting a CO things will become hectic. I am one of the people who couldnt get medicals done before getting a CO.

At the moment I sometimes feel time is going very slow - no CO yet - and other times it is speeding away.

Val - I am planning on sending a personal cheque so I hope they get used to it

Best wishes

Moira

I will start off staying with my son in Mentone. We are on the Great Ocean Road but nearer to the city. Dont you just love it when they use the english names. My daughter-in-law says they are usually english names of aboriginal.

I am so looking forward to being by the sea.

Will keep in touch

Moira

Hi Moira,

I sent the cheque to DIAC on Monday and I got a message from DHL last night to say that its been signed for at the Parent Visa Centre. Just keeping my eye on my ANZ account now to see when the money is debited from the account. I have no idea why they prefer payment by other methods but it said on my email from the CO that a personal cheque was acceptable.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get your CO very soon, Val x

Hi Angie,

That will be lovely. Lets keep in touch and when we are all settled in we can arrange something.

Hope all goes well for you.

I'm starting to look for work now. I hope I soon get fixed up with something.

We also have to find a car in the next week.

It doesn't end once you get here as there's so much to sort out at this end!

Very best wishes

Nutmeg xx

Hi Angie,

That will be lovely. Lets keep in touch and when we are all settled in we can arrange something.

Hope all goes well for you.

I'm starting to look for work now. I hope I soon get fixed up with something.

We also have to find a car in the next week.

It doesn't end once you get here as there's so much to sort out at this end!

Very best wishes

Nutmeg xx

Hi Nutmeg. I can well believe it'll continue be all go when we are out there. I thought once we sold the house and got our visas then everything would calm down but no we're still waiting for a rest!! Some hope! Anyway we're looking forward to meeting up with everyone when we are settled. Good luck with the job hunting and finding a car! Angie xx

Oh Angie you know me so well. We will be in the Wynnum/Manly area from end November to end December so yes, drinks and a meet up would be lovely.

I sent the final VAC payment via Dhl on Monday using a personal ANZ cheque. I know they don't really approve but tough! We could have our 143 by the end of the month.

Lets all keep in touch, Val x

Hi Val. Are you just going for a holiday first before moving for good?

So glad you're up for a get together - will try and arrange something for December if possible! Angie x

Hi Angie, I can't put into words how we felt those last few days, "were we, weren't we", anyway its done now, so ONWARD AND QUITE LITERALLY UPWARDS!!!! Needless to say we are now running around like headless chickens, but with purpose now! All the planning in the world and its come down to getting it all done in a few days! But we don't care and we're smiling again - great big fat grins! And as the grandchildren said earlier today "11 more sleeps" YAY!

Now to the much more serious business of the "Moreton Bay Meet-up"! You can definitely count us in of course - absolutely brilliant - and the more the merrier! So looking forward to it! :wink: (I couldn't find a smiley holding a wine glass)

CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

Val x

Hi Val. We were only saying the other day that the house sale was the worst bit for us. Even when you get a buyer nothing's certain and things can change from one day to the next. We found the whole thing very stressful but now it's over to be honest we've sort of forgotten how bad it was. We'd just rather forget I think!!

Anyway on to more pleasant things like the 'Moreton Bay Meet-up' (I like that) Won't that be great! We'll keep in touch and arrange something soon. Oh Val you are definitely nearly there now!! Angie xx

Edited by brummiebabies

John & Eirian

Hi John and Eirian. Good to hear from you and so pleased to hear that you are already quite settled!

You are quite right about how things really speed up at the end and good advice about getting rid of unwanted things early on. We did just that - started about 15 months ago and so glad we did. It also helps with the process of 'letting go'.

Please keep us updated - we would love to know how things are going. Angie

Hi Val. Are you just going for a holiday first before moving for good?

So glad you're up for a get together - will try and arrange something for December if possible! Angie x

Hi Angie.

Yes, we are having Christmas on the Bayside again this year as we have another granddaughter due beginning November. We managed to get really cheap flights with Singapore back in May. We are nowhere near ready for going permanently just yet. We're not putting the house on the market till next spring. My husband works away most of the year (he's back at the mo) so all the decorating and garden jobs have had to wait until he's had time to do them. Nothing is selling nearby so I hope things start moving again next year.

Will be great to finally meet everyone and swap hints and tips on surviving the big move.

Cheers! Val x:wub: