Guest guest36187

Hi I'm too thinking about applying for CPV and like you my main anxiety is will I survive on my pension with the rate of exchange being so low. I won't be able to apply until my daughter has been a PR 2 years so that won't be till next year so any information would be advantageous - its a huge decision - a very costly one at that.

Hi there. Welcome to PIO. You will certainly get loads of advice and support here from those who currently are or have already gone through the CPV process. It's not a cheap option at all and I can understand your anxiety over finances. If you get time, take a look back over previous posts on this thread. One piece of advice we went with was to 'drip feed' money to Oz once we had applied for our 143 - it helped even out the fluctuating exchange rate. Best of luck. Angie

hi every one,

I am new to this site and seeking some advise.

I am unable to get medicals appointment only with file ref number. I dont have HAP ID or TRN no or health reuest ID.

Could anybody advise how to go about it.

I phoned my CO that ref no was enough for panel doctors to get it fron ehealth system.

Panel doctors are insisting on this info. Please advise.

Thanks

dev

hi every one,

I am new to this site and seeking some advise.

I am unable to get medicals appointment only with file ref number. I dont have HAP ID or TRN no or health reuest ID.

Could anybody advise how to go about it.

I phoned my CO that ref no was enough for panel doctors to get it fron ehealth system.

Panel doctors are insisting on this info. Please advise.

Thanks

dev

Hi Dev, I didn't have HAP ID or TRN No., and I got my medicals done in Cork (I'm from Ireland). I just brought the forms that were sent to me to the appointment. I really can't hep you, but I am sure you will get a helpful reply from someone with better knowledge than me. I think that the HAP ID or TRN is relevant if the application is made by electronic means. I didnt get these because my agent sent my application by ordinary mail. Hope you don't mind me asking but did you actually get appointed a CO or did you just get a letter asking for your meds and Form 80 etc. I got those in April and mistakenly thought I had a CO.

Hope you get the info you are looking for. Fran.

You've said it exactly - just what we thought too! Leaving nothing behind, especially many garden items which we can't take for quarantine reasons. I've got some lovely garden pots and a bird bath which the birds love, we get all unusual types on it as well - we're now going to have another car boot and what doesn't sell we'll give away - I'd rather smash them or take them to the dump - what do they say about a woman scorned....????? Love the kipper idea too - unfortunately we don't have a boiler - I don't think I could really do it, but I love the thought anyway!

Val x

We brought all our pots over and had no problems with quarantine. I made sure they were well and truly cleaned with a pressure washer. Some friends also brought their stone bird bath and had no problems. If you have room I would bring them if I were you.

Good luck with the move.

Ian

We brought all our pots over and had no problems with quarantine. I made sure they were well and truly cleaned with a pressure washer. Some friends also brought their stone bird bath and had no problems. If you have room I would bring them if I were you.

Good luck with the move.

Ian

Thanks for that Ian, that's very interesting to know. I think we will have the room, but thought what with "bird flu" and various other diseases these sorts of items would have been a definite no-no. I think we'll go for it then.

I've been going through my kitchen cupboards this morning and wondered if you or anyone had shipped any food such as tins of tuna, soups that sort of thing or OXO cubes or bisto, anything unopened and commercially packaged.????

I made a huge cake this morning and used up any partial packets of ingredients! Can't wait for it to cool down enough for a taste!!!

Val x

Hi Guys

Been a while since I've been on PIO but I am desperately trying to get my mum and dad here. I have been in Oz for 4 years now and live in Brisbane. My mum is very very keen but my dad is very worried about the cost/finding a job when he is here and worried about if they dont like it they will have nothing in the UK to go back to. My dad has his own business in the UK and would be selling his machinary or moving it here, they are currenlty looking at applying for the temp parent visa for the 2 years and my brother renting their UK house, then they would live with me here in Oz. Meaning they would have the 2 years to settle and decide if they want to stay.

For me them moving here is everything and I really want them to come here, they are worried that at their age late 40s dad turning 50 next year that they wont get jobs.

How have other people their age gone finding new jobs? I think my dad would like to be self employeed again - in landscaping- but then again how easy is it to build that customer base. Would many places look at him for a job in landscaping being 50?

Any advice on parents moving here would be great.

Also how easy has it been to make new friends?

thanks

Hi Dev, I didn't have HAP ID or TRN No., and I got my medicals done in Cork (I'm from Ireland). I just brought the forms that were sent to me to the appointment. I really can't hep you, but I am sure you will get a helpful reply from someone with better knowledge than me. I think that the HAP ID or TRN is relevant if the application is made by electronic means. I didnt get these because my agent sent my application by ordinary mail. Hope you don't mind me asking but did you actually get appointed a CO or did you just get a letter asking for your meds and Form 80 etc. I got those in April and mistakenly thought I had a CO.

Hope you get the info you are looking for. Fran.

Thanks Summerdaisy,

I have got CO on 29/8/12, and have been given 28 days to process my medicals and police ckecks.

Police checks are forwarded but am stuck with medicals.

My CO is not awailable for another 2 weeks.

Have emailed PVC in perth with this problem and am awaiting for a reply.

Many people seems to hav done medicals without CO.

Howcome in London they insist IDs.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

dev007

hi dev007, we did our medicals in manchester and only had the letter from diac to show them. They know that parent visa applicants are not on the electronic system. Make some phone calls to the clinics on the list and they will help you. Good luck !

Hi Guys

Been a while since I've been on PIO but I am desperately trying to get my mum and dad here. I have been in Oz for 4 years now and live in Brisbane. My mum is very very keen but my dad is very worried about the cost/finding a job when he is here and worried about if they dont like it they will have nothing in the UK to go back to. My dad has his own business in the UK and would be selling his machinary or moving it here, they are currenlty looking at applying for the temp parent visa for the 2 years and my brother renting their UK house, then they would live with me here in Oz. Meaning they would have the 2 years to settle and decide if they want to stay.

For me them moving here is everything and I really want them to come here, they are worried that at their age late 40s dad turning 50 next year that they wont get jobs.

How have other people their age gone finding new jobs? I think my dad would like to be self employeed again - in landscaping- but then again how easy is it to build that customer base. Would many places look at him for a job in landscaping being 50?

Any advice on parents moving here would be great.

Also how easy has it been to make new friends?

thanks

Hi, I can really understand your parents worries re jobs etc., I am 58 and moving to Brisbane on the temp visa, I choose that option because I don't have the money to go for the permanent one. I hope to get work as soon as I get there to save for the 143. I don't know any people out there except my sons friends and I want to make friends of my own age when I get there. I'll have a word with Eoin when I next talk to him about jobs in landscaping see if he knows anyone connected in that line. Hope you get the decision you want from your parents. This is a great site for getting advice. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Fran

Well that's all our belongings gone! I have to say that the two guys from John Masons did a fantastic job packing our things and everything went really smoothly. Would definitely recommend them. We complete on the house tomorrow and then it's goodbye to our family home of 31 years. Strangely neither of us feel sad, we haven't had time to stop and think; it's just been full on for the last few weeks. It will great to just chill out for a while!! I think this calls for another glass of wine! Ha ha!! Angie x

Well that's all our belongings gone! I have to say that the two guys from John Masons did a fantastic job packing our things and everything went really smoothly. Would definitely recommend them. We complete on the house tomorrow and then it's goodbye to our family home of 31 years. Strangely neither of us feel sad, we haven't had time to stop and think; it's just been full on for the last few weeks. It will great to just chill out for a while!! I think this calls for another glass of wine! Ha ha!! Angie x

Oh Wow! You must feel that you are really on your way now. When is your flight? I must say very good timing, everything is falling into place with precision timing! We also do not feel particularly sad about leaving our house, my theory being that it never had the same feeling after the "kids" flew the nest! So even if we weren't going to Oz, we would be looking to downsize anyway.

Enjoy your wine - sounds like you've earned it! How about meeting for a drink "on the other side"?

Val x

Enjolyed reading your post especially regarding John Masons as we have just decided to use them ourselves, we are in the process of de-cluttering and have sold the house subject to exchanging contracts. Looking to fly out in January, initially staying with our son, d-i-l and grandson in Wakerley.

Good luck with the move.

Sue & Kev

sooooo my question is, the 173 takes approx 2 years to get, then after that how long would it take to get the 143 ?? im just thinking how long we could save for before going perm?? and with each one how long before you need to validate...thanks

Tab x

I believe the processing time for the visa is around 15-18 months at the moment. The 173 is for 2 years and before the end of the 2 years you need to apply for the 143 permanent visa. It normally takes around 4-8 months to process depending on where your sponsor is in Australia. Centrelink in Queensland do seem a bit slow with sorting out the AOS as in our case.

With regard to validation, you will normally need to validate your 173 visa within a year of the date of the medicals or police checks whichever is sooner. I am not sure about what happensn when you convert to the 143 as we were already in Australia when we applied. I am sure someone else will be able to answer this for you. I think MikeandSue went through this process.

How about meeting for a drink "on the other side"?

We would love that Val. I'll PM our telephone number and address when we are all in Oz. Our flight is booked for 19 October - flying with Singapore Airlines for extra baggage allowance. Starting to count down the days now!! I hope everything goes okay with exchange of contracts on your house today. Angie x

I have a query regarding Medicare, can anyone throw any light on what you are actually covered for? I know ambulance cover is to be covered privately along with Dental care but are you covered for serious illness such as cancer which would require expensive ongoing treatment. I am quite happy to use medicare and top up privately on what i mentioned. Also when you have to visit a GP do you have to pay or is this covered by medicare? I have also read about bulk billing and to make sure you get this, what exactly is it? Be grateful for any info please. Thanks Ann

How does emergency health cover work in Oz for our age group.

My daughter has a 'bulk bill' doctor so I understand that and I know UK had a reciprocal agreement with Oz but what happens if you for example took suddenly ill or had an accident that required hospital treatment/stay?

Way my healths been the past 15 months feel I need tto clarify this :swoon:

Phoebe

How about meeting for a drink "on the other side"?

We would love that Val. I'll PM our telephone number and address when we are all in Oz. Our flight is booked for 19 October - flying with Singapore Airlines for extra baggage allowance. Starting to count down the days now!! I hope everything goes okay with exchange of contracts on your house today. Angie x

Its a deal!!! Looking forward to it already!

We hope to go with Singapore too, but we will not get the extra allowance, but I think we can try for an extra 10k! Yesterday I sent some of our excess with Parcel Monkey (9k for £50.00) so lets see if it gets there o.k.

Today is anticipation Friday!!!!!!

Will let you know the outcome.

Val x

How does emergency health cover work in Oz for our age group.

My daughter has a 'bulk bill' doctor so I understand that and I know UK had a reciprocal agreement with Oz but what happens if you for example took suddenly ill or had an accident that required hospital treatment/stay?

Way my healths been the past 15 months feel I need tto clarify this :swoon:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I need to research the whole medical thing more myself but I can let you know the experience we had 2 years ago when we visited our daughter in Brisbane. Unfortunately 2 days into the holiday hubby suddenly developed pains in his chest. Luckily it turned out to be nothing serious but he received emergency treatment locally and then they sent him by ambulance to the main hospital in Brisbane central to stay overnight for observation. Didn't cost a thing not even for the ambulance - they said everything was covered by the reciprocal arrangement with the UK. This is how it works if you are a visitor and I'm pretty sure emergency treatment etc is covered by Medicare but not the ambulance when you have permanent residency. Hope this helps. Angie x

Edited by brummiebabies

Good day to everyone. Glad to see everyone sharing some good CPV insights to one another in this forum.

Just wondering if you have any advice for this case that I have:

We are in the process of lodging 173, and 143 eventually. However since my 3 children are just teenagers under 18, a close relative of ours (my cousin) is sponsoring on their behalf. Is this acceptable? Reason for us really considering this is that my ex-husband, who is the father of my children is getting married soon and will be leaving OZ and will be settling off in another country. Pretty much, he asks if I could take over supervising our children permanently. My 3 children are Australian citizens, and so is my cousin, and my ex. I would love to be able to take care of my children now once and for all, and they are also very excited to know if I can permanently move with them. At the moment, I am only able to visit them in Oz only 2 times in a year, because I am only on tourist visa. Looking after the children physically & financially and providing for them permanently would be me needing to have a job in Oz, and I see that 173 gives you work rights. Btw, I am 35 y/o... and yes we got married quite young back in the day.

Is my case a go?

Cheers,June

That is soooo weird we've posted similar Q together !!!!!!!

Phoebe

Great minds think alike Phoebe.:biggrin:

I am applying for the 143 and hope to hear i have a CO soon, but early this year i had a bit of a scare with a breast lump, had it removed and thankfully it was benign. It has me wondering though if medicare actually covers you for any illness and treatments, if so i am happy with that as i have been more than happy with the treatment i had on the NHS and i do believe private isn't always necessarily better also i don't really want the added expense of private medical insurance. I just wondered what opinions our previous posters have who are actually over there now, have you taken out private medical insurance or just use medicare? Thanks Ann.

Great minds think alike Phoebe.:biggrin:

I am applying for the 143 and hope to hear i have a CO soon, but early this year i had a bit of a scare with a breast lump, had it removed and thankfully it was benign. It has me wondering though if medicare actually covers you for any illness and treatments, if so i am happy with that as i have been more than happy with the treatment i had on the NHS and i do believe private isn't always necessarily better also i don't really want the added expense of private medical insurance. I just wondered what opinions our previous posters have who are actually over there now, have you taken out private medical insurance or just use medicare? Thanks Ann.

Hi

We have been in Sydney for 3 years on CPV143. Two years ago I had an emergency appendectomy in a Private Hospital as we had insurance. I had a lovely private room and my treatment was excellent. However although we had the insurance it still cost about $2000 as only part of the surgeon's and anaesthetist's fees were covered; some by Medicare and some by the insurance company. Had I had the surgery in a Public Hospital it would have all been completely free. Ian has had two brief visits to the local Public Hospital and has always had good treatment at no cost. We also have a basic Dental cover included; I have just had root canal treatment which was only partially covered by the insurance and cost me about $800! The monthly cost for the two of us is $167; our Doctor (who is excellent) does not bulk bill so each visit costs $65 with a medicare refund of $37. We are seriously considering dropping the Private insurance and relying on the public system. Visits to the dentist would usually cost about $150 for a basic checkup/scale and polish every 6 months. It's not going to be necessary to have more invasive treatment like root canal treatment very often so we would have to take a chance on that. One thing to consider is that any migrant who takes out Insurance within the first year of Residency does not incur an extra 'loading' which would normally be applied to new applicants of a certain age. It is a dilemma whether or not to take out the cover; since we have been here it has cost about $5700 and the benefits have probably not reflected the cost.

Once we had been here 2 years I did qualify for subsidised prescriptions and now have a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card which is a big help. It is means tested but the upper income limit for qualification is quite high so most people would get one if they are over 65. Ian doesn't have one yet at he is only 61.

Sorry this is so wordy but I hope it is helpful to hear from someone who is actually having the experience.

Marian and Ian

I have a query regarding Medicare, can anyone throw any light on what you are actually covered for? I know ambulance cover is to be covered privately along with Dental care but are you covered for serious illness such as cancer which would require expensive ongoing treatment. I am quite happy to use medicare and top up privately on what i mentioned. Also when you have to visit a GP do you have to pay or is this covered by medicare? I have also read about bulk billing and to make sure you get this, what exactly is it? Be grateful for any info please. Thanks Ann

Hi

Medicare covers the basic cost of medical treatment but many GP and specialists charge more than the Medicare agreed cost. This “gap” has to be paid for by the patient. Bulk billing is where the medical supplier charges Medicare directly and there is no gap for the patient.

In hospital costs are covered by Medicare.

Hope this helps a little.

Charlie