Guest guest36187

Hi Ted and Angie

Congratulations on your Visa, haven't been logging on the PIO lately (too busy getting ourselves ready for Spring, gardening, playing bowls, looking after the grandchildren etc., etc) but so happy to see the good news. Good Luck with the final stages of your move. Gill

Hi Dave and Gill. Sounds like you have really settled into your new life in Oz. I hope it will be the same for us. I'm getting scared now! :unsure: Angie x

Hi Dave and Gill. Sounds like you have really settled into your new life in Oz. I hope it will be the same for us. I'm getting scared now! :unsure: Angie x

It is scary, but so worth it! After a year we almost find it hard to remember what it was like in the UK. Yes, we are really settled. Life is good. G

ok, so ive been mulling it over (and over and over) and i know it cant really be answered but.....we are thinking(trying to convince OH) of moving to OZ my concern is what if we dont get jobs, we are still in our 40`s,just, and we`ve paid out all that money and cant afford to live, whats the worse case???

Also what will happen to our uk state pension, do we still get one and is it frozen at todays rates??

im sorry all these questions...lol

thanks Tab x

yeah, thanks for that, im just trying to gather as much info and other peoples thoughts as possible, it may make it easier or harder im not too sure lol...would we be able to pick up where we left off if we came back?? being self employed is difficult people soon forget you ha ha ha.

ive thought should OH go for 3 months checking out if it is possible to get work or be self employed again, would he want to start again or just work for someone else? im just thinking out loud and writing it down helps..!

thank you i shall keep pondering. good luck to you too and thanks again. Tab x

Yippee! Just checked our emails and YES!!! we have our Visa grant letter!!!:biggrin: Such a relief! Thank you everyone for your help and support along the way. Good luck to those still waiting! Angie x

Hi Angie, many, many congratulations! Sorry for belated post, been away for a few days!

Doesn't it feel good!

Val x

Hi Angie, many, many congratulations! Sorry for belated post, been away for a few days!

Doesn't it feel good!

Val x[/quote

Hi Val Thanks for that. Yes it does feel good! Such a relief too - it has been really stressful at times. Lots of highs and lows!! It's not long before you fly out now is it? Angie x

Hi Angie, we haven't booked our flights yet - waiting to exchange contracts on the house first. Still unsure if it will happen or not. Talk about a stressful week - last Tuesday our buyers pulled out, just as we were travelling down to Cornwall. Obviously we were devastated, but thought, well, it wouldn't stop us leaving for Oz by the end of Sept as planned. So by Wednesday we had got used to the idea the house was back on the market again, and we planned to book our flights when we got home. But then we got a call from the Estate Agents to say that the buyers would proceed for £20,000 less! How despicable and underhand is that!!! So we told them to "shove it where the sun doesn't shine" - we were so angry and upset. And all the time we were trying to enjoy our holiday! The next day they said they would proceed for £10,000 less. We had to do a lot of soul searching and weigh up the pros and cons, (they are cash buyers etc, etc) and eventually agreed to their "blackmail". It's completely taken our excitement away and we now feel very deflated. We still want to go to Oz just as much, probably even more so now.

Just hoping to put this down in words would be therapeutic. I think we feel so bad because we fell into their trap, they knew our circumstances and had us over a barrel - we just want to start our new life with all the loose ends tied up.

I'm sure we'll bounce back, but we're holding our breath until we (hopefully) exchange contracts on Friday - so fingers and everything else crossed for us!

Val x

Hi I'm too thinking about applying for CPV and like you my main anxiety is will I survive on my pension with the rate of exchange being so low. I won't be able to apply until my daughter has been a PR 2 years so that won't be till next year so any information would be advantageous - its a huge decision - a very costly one at that.

Hi Val and Matt,

So sorry to hear of your buyers 'blackmail'

It's such an awful feeling to have 'given in' to them, but just a point in your favour......the pound/dollar exchange rate is going up at the moment, so you may not be losing as much as you thought????????

Hope all goes well on Friday, please keep breathing until then!!!!!!

In 12 months time, you'll be back on here and telling us all how fantastic life is out there. All the hassle and pain will be forgotten, a bit like childbirth eh?

Chin up, nearly there......

Cheers Pam

Edited by Stellathedog

Hi Angie, we haven't booked our flights yet - waiting to exchange contracts on the house first. Still unsure if it will happen or not. Talk about a stressful week - last Tuesday our buyers pulled out, just as we were travelling down to Cornwall. Obviously we were devastated, but thought, well, it wouldn't stop us leaving for Oz by the end of Sept as planned. So by Wednesday we had got used to the idea the house was back on the market again, and we planned to book our flights when we got home. But then we got a call from the Estate Agents to say that the buyers would proceed for £20,000 less! How despicable and underhand is that!!! So we told them to "shove it where the sun doesn't shine" - we were so angry and upset. And all the time we were trying to enjoy our holiday! The next day they said they would proceed for £10,000 less. We had to do a lot of soul searching and weigh up the pros and cons, (they are cash buyers etc, etc) and eventually agreed to their "blackmail". It's completely taken our excitement away and we now feel very deflated. We still want to go to Oz just as much, probably even more so now.

Just hoping to put this down in words would be therapeutic. I think we feel so bad because we fell into their trap, they knew our circumstances and had us over a barrel - we just want to start our new life with all the loose ends tied up.

I'm sure we'll bounce back, but we're holding our breath until we (hopefully) exchange contracts on Friday - so fingers and everything else crossed for us!

Val x

Oh Val! That's just horrible - and at this late stage too. We were dreading the same thing happening to us. We had to take a big 'hit' on the price of our house initally anyway, either that or rent it out but we were not keen on that option at all. Like you we want to tie all the loose ends up. Definitately be keeping everything crossed for you! Chin up - all this will be behind you soon! Angie x

Val x

Very underhand pulling a trick like that although i have heard it done before on here when the buyers get wind folk are emigrating. what goes around comes around in my opinion, i would leave nothing in the house i didn't have to even right down to the light bulbs, wouldn't even bother cleaning it. Goes against the grain i am sure but thats a really dirty stunt they pulled. But in the grand scheme of things i really am sure your having the last laugh. :fish2: shove a kipper behind the boiler.!! Sorry... it's bringing out the evil in me, :evilface_frowning_s

Hi Val and Matt,

In 12 months time, you'll be back on here and telling us all how fantastic life is out there. All the hassle and pain will be forgotten, a bit like childbirth eh?

Chin up, nearly there......

Cheers Pam

Well Pam, childbirth - ha ha! that's certainly one way of looking at it I hadn't thought of!!! Nice one!!

Very underhand pulling a trick like that although i have heard it done before on here when the buyers get wind folk are emigrating. what goes around comes around in my opinion, i would leave nothing in the house i didn't have to even right down to the light bulbs, wouldn't even bother cleaning it. Goes against the grain i am sure but thats a really dirty stunt they pulled. But in the grand scheme of things i really am sure your having the last laugh. :fish2: shove a kipper behind the boiler.!! Sorry... it's bringing out the evil in me, :evilface_frowning_s

You've said it exactly - just what we thought too! Leaving nothing behind, especially many garden items which we can't take for quarantine reasons. I've got some lovely garden pots and a bird bath which the birds love, we get all unusual types on it as well - we're now going to have another car boot and what doesn't sell we'll give away - I'd rather smash them or take them to the dump - what do they say about a woman scorned....????? Love the kipper idea too - unfortunately we don't have a boiler - I don't think I could really do it, but I love the thought anyway!

Val x

Oh Val! That's just horrible - and at this late stage too. We were dreading the same thing happening to us. We had to take a big 'hit' on the price of our house initally anyway, either that or rent it out but we were not keen on that option at all. Like you we want to tie all the loose ends up. Definitately be keeping everything crossed for you! Chin up - all this will be behind you soon! Angie x

Thanks Angie, I know you're right, but its just a bit hard to believe at the moment! I just keep trying to imagine the feeling when we do eventually get on that plane!

Val x

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/cb/2012/cb189680.htm

Not sure whether this has been made known already ... extended tourist visas for parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents to enable them to visit their family in Australia for longer periods of time ...

Best regards.

As Fisher1 said, many thanks for this Alan.

I had not heard anything of this and I think it will make a difference to a lot of people, including me!

"As with all tourist visa holders, they will be expected to spend some time outside Australia between visits to their families."

Can I just ask your opinion on what constitutes 'some time'?

Thanks again for pointing it out to us.

Pam

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/cb/2012/cb189680.htm

Not sure whether this has been made known already ... extended tourist visas for parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents to enable them to visit their family in Australia for longer periods of time ...

Best regards.

Thank-you for posting this Alan, great news for all parents.